Will you abandon your own operating system all together?

"Abandon is probably too strong a word, I'm not going to do that. [...] Some of the [BB10] phones will be retired, just because of the age of the phone and the design, but no, I'm not just going to leave it [abandon BB10] out there.

Now, at a pinpoint in time, I hope that we can improve the security aspects of the Android device to the point that, to a customer given the choice, they would say ok they all have the same security levels, I want more apps, so maybe that's the time to switch."

In other words, as soon as they can secure their version of Android to the point that its equal to BB10, they will phase out BB10 phones as there would be no more reason to buy one. As even Chen said "everyone loves our security and privacy, but because of lack of applications, people shy away from it".

(all quotes taken from the BNN interview).
    youtube.com/watch?v=ip1Gz5mbAEg
    09-27-15 02:43 PM
    i say wait until the next OS update and see if there is anything to even speak about. March 2016 is a ways away. If just a maintenance update (which it will be) then Chen is lying. It has been abandoned already. First by devs, then by him. This already happened then.
    Vistaus and Q10Bold like this.
    09-27-15 03:22 PM
    Back to the doom and gloom. Once people pull their head out of the sand about 10.3.3 the drama will continue............

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle, DJM626, rthonpm and 4 others like this.
    09-27-15 03:31 PM
    No one knows really for sure. What is for sure is that if asked that question Chen would never say out loud that he is abandoning BB10 at this point in time. If they get Android to the point where they feel its secure enough and Corporations and Govts feel its secure enough then anyone thinking he won't abandon it is living in fantasy land. BB doesn't have the people or resources to have two separate operating systems that both churn out updates and new phones. Its ridiculous to think that they would even have a reason to keep BB10 at all if they feel like Android is going to allow them to keep their enterprise customers. If Chen said he was done with it at this point in time the customers they have now would not only want his head, but also jump ship as soon as they could.
    09-27-15 03:33 PM
    Back to the doom and gloom. Once people pull their head out of the sand about 10.3.3 the drama will continue............

Posted via CB10
    you call this drama? would love to see what you think of Days of our Lives
    09-27-15 03:36 PM
    Click bait. The quotes contradict the title.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:59 PM
    Android is the future. Chen does not care about you

Posted via CB10
    BuryLancs likes this.
    09-27-15 05:22 PM
    At this point, Chen's looking at the big picture. He knows Android with Google Play Services has apps.

People like apps.

People like phones.

But people assume the BlackBerry name is tarnished (which it really is.)

So, in essence JC is hoping that with all the tech-buzz going around the Priv, people might actually buy this phone.

This phone will run their favourite apps.

If it becomes a hit, then yes, BB10 will die in a year. Right now it's in maintenance mode

It has been for a year now.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    09-27-15 06:38 PM
    Doom and gloom. Nothing is set in stone. He's just weighing options and thinking / talking out aloud...

No problem with that. Still, QNX will continue, and so will the BB10 OS, although on a lower level now that the apps availability problem has been solved using another OS... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-27-15 07:20 PM
    Doom and gloom. Nothing is set in stone. He's just weighing options and thinking / talking out aloud...

No problem with that. Still, QNX will continue, and so will the BB10 OS, although on a lower level now that the apps availability problem has been solved using another OS... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    Please don't fall into this line of thinking Prem. The app availability hasn't been solved they just completely migrated platforms. The apps availability probably will always exist. That is over now. Your new problems will lie within the android framework.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-27-15 07:29 PM
    I love these threads, where the heading gets negated in the first sentence of the post :-D

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 07:43 PM
    ...and Corporations and Govts feel its secure enough (android)
    Which is never gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    acovey, Zeratul57 and Vistaus like this.
    09-27-15 07:45 PM
    OP is confused...

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    z3user and Zeratul57 like this.
    09-27-15 07:51 PM
    I love these threads, where the heading gets negated in the first sentence of the post :-D

Posted via CB10
    It's like Bla1ze said in another thread.
    The problem is that everyone here has a different definition of what "abandon"means.

To some, 'abandon' means that BlackBerry abandons the idea of releasing new BB10 devices at the same rate of 8 devices in less than 3 years (Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Leap, Classic and Passport).
    And that BlackBerry shifts their focus in hardware mostly on Android devices.

To others, 'abandon' means that they EOL the device and only focus on security patches as Chen said and that new BB10 devices will be few and far between if at all.

Two ppl can be arguing here like on another thread and then realize that they were saying the same thing.
    Just that they were defining 'abandon' differently lol

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    Vistaus likes this.
    09-27-15 07:57 PM
    The problem is that everyone here has a different definition of what "abandon"means.

Not to put too fine edge to the word abandon, the word simply means, in this case, that BlackBerry is turning it's back on loyal customers who fought through all the initial issues with BlackBerry 10 to realize what a gem BlackBerry 10 is.

I am one of those customers.

If Android was an answer for me there are already devices in the market that would suffice. And as you can surmise from my signature, I use a phone that is well spec'd.

For BlackBerry 's sake, I hope Priv succeeds for BlackBerry. But, I will not be buying one for at least two years, and that is only if Android as released by BlackBerry can come close to the BlackBerry 10 experience on my Passport.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    jope28, acovey and Vistaus like this.
    09-27-15 09:02 PM
    CNET link

Embracing Android, BlackBerry may finally put its BB10 software out of its misery

The BlackBerry Priv could change everything for the embattled smartphone manufacturer.

The Priv, which the Canadian company confirmed Friday will come out in the fourth quarter, is the first of its products to run on Google's Android mobile software. The device marks a radical departure from BlackBerry's history of selling products using its own homegrown software.

But hardcore BlackBerry fans should look at the Priv with trepidation. The Android device isn't meant to complement the company's existing line of smartphones; it's intended to kill it. After years of battling Android, the world's most popular operating system for smartphones and tablets, BlackBerry is laying the foundation to jettison its own BlackBerry 10 software, also known as BB10.

"This move to Android is another signal that the company is stepping away from once holy ground," said Chris Hazelton, an analyst at 451 Research.

The move would mark a radical new chapter for a company that once dominated the white-collar world with smartphones packing its trademark physical keyboards. Since the rise of Apple's iPhone and devices running Google's Android operating system, BlackBerry has fought a losing battle to avoid irrelevancy. In the second quarter, smartphones running its software accounted for 0.3 percent of the market, according to IDC. Android's market share: 83 percent.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-27-15 09:12 PM
    Symbian die, OS 4-5 Die, OS 7 Die, Windows Mobile Die, BADA Die.

I think BB10 is going to die, the Best OS Mobile that i ever try, Faster, Multitask, Cascade App Mode, the HUB, the swipe, no buttons, secure, no malware, no virus, QNX based, but in a not commercial company.

RIP

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 09:18 PM
    All I need is a super spec'd out of the world upgraded Q10, which is future proof for at least another 3 years. Then I won't be buying a new phone till that q10 dies, I don't wanna switch to android .

Posted via CB10
    jope28, heepman, schwede and 2 others like this.
    09-27-15 09:25 PM
    I am a few weeks into using my gesture bases Ubuntu phone.. Not perfect but better than using droid/
    jsmith00075 and crucial bbq like this.
    09-27-15 09:43 PM
    All I need is a super spec'd out of the world upgraded Q10, which is future proof for at least another 3 years. Then I won't be buying a new phone till that q10 dies, I don't wanna switch to android .

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

I love the form factor of my Q10. Hardware is solid and device runs as smooth if not better than when I got it 2 years ago.

I honestly don't see a reason to upgrade from my Q10.
    The Passport is a tempting option of a different form factor in case my Q10 dies. The bigger screen must be a treat to use.

acovey likes this.
    09-27-15 10:13 PM

To some, 'abandon' means that BlackBerry abandons the idea of releasing new BB10 devices at the same rate of 8 devices in less than 3 years (Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Leap, Classic and Passport).
    And that BlackBerry shifts their focus in hardware mostly on Android devices.

To others, 'abandon' means that they EOL the device and only focus on security patches as Chen said and that new BB10 devices will be few and far between if at all.

Two ppl can be arguing here like on another thread and then realize that they were saying the same thing.
    Just that they were defining 'abandon' differently lol

Still a clickbait post. Sounds as if Chen openly said "we iz gonna stops BB10".

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:02 AM
    Still a clickbait post. Sounds as if Chen openly said "we iz gonna stops BB10".

Posted via CB10
    He pretty much dids.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and RyanGermann like this.
    09-28-15 08:54 AM
    He pretty much dids.

Posted via CB10
    You forgot to add "NOT" to your not-joke.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 09:52 AM
    More I think about it, more pi$$sed I feel when they say 'secure the android first' ... do they realised being slaves to OHA and google policies the only security they can bring on board is poping those silly notification that warns people about what permissions are being violated by google? Let them have an androtting phone but I am sick of hearing talks about secure android. For stand alone users this Priv is as secure as a paper boat in storm.
    09-28-15 10:26 AM
    People have been crying for a high end all touch bb10 phone since the z10 was released. The z30 was a great choice at the time but it's been 2 years and yet still no high end all touch. Yet we get the passport niche the classic niche. The leap. We'll the leap. Yet still no high end all touch. So as far as I am concerned BlackBerry did this to them selves. They have still yet to give people what they have been asking for. And then can't figure out while sales are dropping. You take away the option s people will move on.

It's so frustrating to see the stupid mistakes this company is making. The z Line was late making them sub high end. hienz was on the right track they should have just stayed the course. Chen has completely destroyed the hand set market for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 11:32 AM
188 123 ...