Hey, I checked to see if there was a thread on this topic and didn't see one. Future Rim devices will come with openGL and flash: http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/11/09/rim-announces-blackberry-opengl-es-support-new-deal-with-adobe-and-more/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 11:21 PM
    Almost everyone here knows that. Look at the date it's from last year. So yeah.
    09-17-10 11:27 PM
    Oops! You're right! Lol, wow. And still nothing from Rim.

09-17-10 11:45 PM
    Does the 9800 have open gl? I've read somewhere else that it doesn't I'm sure I'm just mis-informed

09-18-10 08:57 AM
    Does the 9800 have open gl? I've read somewhere else that it doesn't I'm sure I'm just mis-informed

No. It doesn't have a GPU.
    09-18-10 09:16 AM
    So far, only the Qualcomm chipset that CDMA device use has OpenGL support. There hasn't been a processor for GSM devices that supports OpenGL - yet.
    09-18-10 01:52 PM
    So far, only the Qualcomm chipset that CDMA device use has OpenGL support. There hasn't been a processor for GSM devices that supports OpenGL - yet.
    Is this a general statement or just BBs? If it is in general, you are wrong, if just for BBs, you are absolutely correct.
    09-18-10 03:00 PM
    Also, while a lot of people were happy to finally have OpenGL support, by the time it was enabled, a lot of developers didn't care anymore.
    09-18-10 04:33 PM
    Also, while a lot of people were happy to finally have OpenGL support, by the time it was enabled, a lot of developers didn't care anymore.
    not really sure about that...the performance of OpenGL is atrocious on BB and I'm sure the unnecessary pain developing for BB is compounded by trying to tie in OpenGL

09-18-10 10:56 PM
    Is this a general statement or just BBs? If it is in general, you are wrong, if just for BBs, you are absolutely correct.
    Talking BlackBerry devices - this is CrackBerry, after all.
    09-20-10 06:44 AM
    Talking BlackBerry devices - this is CrackBerry, after all.
    Yes, I know that. "There hasn't been a processor for GSM devices that supports OpenGL - yet." That just sounds like a general statement. RIM just doesn't support the processors that support openGL for GSM yet.
    09-20-10 11:21 AM
    Yes, I know that. "There hasn't been a processor for GSM devices that supports OpenGL - yet." That just sounds like a general statement. RIM just doesn't support the processors that support openGL for GSM yet.
    I'm going to take an educated guess there and say that's because RIM doesn't put in Video Accelerator hardware (i.e. chipsets) in the handsets they build. Qualcomm has "on die" designs for video acceleration, etc. They put everything into the chipset itself.
    09-20-10 03:53 PM
    I'm going to take an educated guess there and say that's because RIM doesn't put in Video Accelerator hardware (i.e. chipsets) in the handsets they build. Qualcomm has "on die" designs for video acceleration, etc. They put everything into the chipset itself.
    Yup, the Marvell chip they use does not have a GPU.
    09-20-10 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD