Hey everyone I was just getting more familiar with everything Blackberry and while exploring companies RIM has acquired I was reading up on Teknision and their involvement which was kept secret but they did alot of work on the Tablet OS (Old information posted on Crackberry months ago)
    Anyway one of the guys who worked on the OS had written this.
    Just thought I would share it, he seems very passionate and for good reason. Hope you all like it.

An Open Letter to Thorsten Heins | We Are Embedded
    the_sleuth, arnman, blue-b and 1 others like this.
    01-27-12 12:05 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    interesting .. I think RIM has a fresh capable leader in charge now .. and i am looking forward to a great and innovative year from RIM!!! ...

bb9900 and PB owner ....
    BB10FTW, CDM76 and jafobabe like this.
    01-27-12 12:54 AM
    Pretty agree with the whole thing.
    Be Blackberry, be RIM: be pride of your DNA.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-27-12 03:09 AM
    That is a very well written and well thought out letter. I can only hope that it makes its way to the right people in the company. In the past, RIM has not been exactly welcoming of letters such as this. Perhaps the corporate culture will change enough to allow full communications.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-27-12 06:21 AM
    how Awseome woul it be if the open letter ritten to rim was biuy the curerent CEO lol that would be awesome
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-27-12 09:15 PM
    I liked the article alot because although hard to swallow it brings up tons of good points and isnt bashing RIM or the Playbook but just expressing their concern for an Amazing company
    01-28-12 12:19 AM
    You get the feeling that Teknision wants RIM to succeed in spite of themselves. I hope TH or someone close gets to see it as well. Well, shouldn't be a problem really as Kevin has his ear...or screen (BBM)

Lastly. It'a a better read than most of the stuff I have been seeing lately.
    BB10FTW and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-28-12 12:56 AM
    You get the feeling that Teknision wants RIM to succeed in spite of themselves. I hope TH or someone close gets to see it as well. Well, shouldn't be a problem really as Kevin has his ear...or screen (BBM)

Lastly. It'a a better read than most of the stuff I have been seeing lately.
    Teknision is a Great company and they did alot of work on the OS but since they are not owned by RIM so they kept it quiet. I would love if RIM acquired Teknision but they are still a small start up. They love the platform and want it to succeed just like we do and I would love for Thorsten Heins to read this and i have a feeling Kevin may already know ;-)
    01-28-12 01:05 AM
    It's an excellent piece, and sums up very eloquently the challenge facing RIM right now.

There are two fantastic quotes in here: "Most importantly: lead, don’t chase. Do not make a better iPhone. Make a better BlackBerry" and "Put someone in charge of the user experience and give them teeth." Excellent advice on both counts.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-28-12 01:30 AM
    It's an excellent piece, and sums up very eloquently the challenge facing RIM right now.

There are two fantastic quotes in here: "Most importantly: lead, dont chase. Do not make a better iPhone. Make a better BlackBerry" and "Put someone in charge of the user experience and give them teeth." Excellent advice on both counts.
    Well said and well quoted.

I hope Teknision is still a part of building the Tablet OS because they have already put so much into it, they Love the Playbook Tablet OS.

I want this article to get alot of exposure because it truly is a great article and for once it isnt someone attacking the Playbook that i love but its inspiring.
    01-28-12 01:56 AM
    Well said and well quoted.

I hope Teknision is still a part of building the Tablet OS because they have already put so much into it, they Love the Playbook Tablet OS.

I want this article to get alot of exposure because it truly is a great article and for once it isnt someone attacking the Playbook that i love but its inspiring.
    Teknision deals directly with design and UI. I hope they continue to work closely with RIM cough<>cough<>b-u-y-o-u-t<>cough<>cough, but it's safe to say what they have done we have sort of seen. I am not sure if they worked directly with the 2.0, but I posted some nice screens (way back) of some concept mockups they made for a QNX powered controller for the home. I like the way they put a screen together, and their design team really had me hooked from the get go.
    01-28-12 02:06 AM
    Teknision deals directly with design and UI. I hope they continue to work closely with RIM cough<>cough<>b-u-y-o-u-t<>cough<>cough, but it's safe to say what they have done we have sort of seen. I am not sure if they worked directly with the 2.0, but I posted some nice screens (way back) of some concept mockups they made for a QNX powered controller for the home. I like the way they put a screen together, and their design team really had me hooked from the get go.
    I would love for RIM to acquire Teknision but they just arent that big of a company, im not sure how many employees but they are still quite small.
    I dont know of any involvement in recent projects but i would love to see those concepts if you have a link to the old thread or if you want to throw them up on this thread would be great.

Thanks Alot
    01-28-12 02:13 AM
    Thread was from long ago....

Interface Prototyping | Teknision Inc.

Link to their stuff.
    01-28-12 02:15 AM
    Thread was from long ago....

Interface Prototyping | Teknision Inc.

Link to their stuff.
    Very Awesome, i remember seeing these a long time ago too and Wow i would love to have that in my house. QNX is full of possibilities, its a super exciting platform
    01-28-12 02:21 AM
    hmmm good letter
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-28-12 03:10 AM
    Great Letter OP. Hope it is heard to the ones that can make it happen.

To BB10FTW.. Thanks for the link... I admire the work/mockups that this company is doing.. and it would be great to see them on the PB.
    01-28-12 03:27 PM
    Great Letter OP. Hope it is heard to the ones that can make it happen.

To BB10FTW.. Thanks for the link... I admire the work/mockups that this company is doing.. and it would be great to see them on the PB.
    Well the is defiantly my goal so thanks for commenting!

No problem on the link, I thoroughly enjoyed the mockup images on the Teknisiin website Oniberry posted, QNX is in its beginning stages it is gonna grow and i believe it will grow very quickly, especially with Thorsten at the helm of RIM. Cant wait for BB10, Best of Blackberry OS and QNX Gonna Be Sweet!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-12 05:06 PM
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the kind words. I'm glad the article is being well received. I had intended it to be more motivational than critical. This can be a very opportune time for RIM - big changes like the top brass leaving make it ok to be a bit more maverick and less buttoned down. I truly believe that as long as they stay true to their brand and fall back in love with their users, they can regain their spot in the market.

Since working on the PlayBook, we have gone on to similar project for other vendors and I can tell you that in the Android world, the big struggle is differentiation. At the end of the day, all manufacturers running stock Android end up looking the same. Traditionally, differentiation was done through hardware specs but people don't care about that anymore. They care about the experience. This is why you are seeing brands like Amazon, Sony, Barnes and Noble and Samsung spin their own variations of Android. Unfortunately, under the covers it's tied to Google's whims.

RIM has none of these problems. They don't have hardware problems, they don't have OS problems - QNX is probably the best on the planet. They have problems understanding the needs and wants of their users and answering those wants in an elegant, powerful and uniquely BlackBerry way.

That and they need to stop sending pay cheques to the Black Eyed Peas

Gabor
    01-30-12 09:46 AM
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the kind words. I'm glad the article is being well received. I had intended it to be more motivational than critical. This can be a very opportune time for RIM - big changes like the top brass leaving make it ok to be a bit more maverick and less buttoned down. I truly believe that as long as they stay true to their brand and fall back in love with their users, they can regain their spot in the market.

Since working on the PlayBook, we have gone on to similar project for other vendors and I can tell you that in the Android world, the big struggle is differentiation. At the end of the day, all manufacturers running stock Android end up looking the same. Traditionally, differentiation was done through hardware specs but people don't care about that anymore. They care about the experience. This is why you are seeing brands like Amazon, Sony, Barnes and Noble and Samsung spin their own variations of Android. Unfortunately, under the covers it's tied to Google's whims.

RIM has none of these problems. They don't have hardware problems, they don't have OS problems - QNX is probably the best on the planet. They have problems understanding the needs and wants of their users and answering those wants in an elegant, powerful and uniquely BlackBerry way.

Gabor
    Hey Gabor, I couldn't agree with you more and thank you for commenting on my post it means alot. I truly admire what your team accomplished with the Playbook and really hope that Teknision and RIM will work together on further projects.

I also completely agree with you on Android devices. Android is a nifty OS but, it is to much of the same all the time. Like the Galaxy Note by Samsung for example it looks exactly like a blown up Galaxy S2. HTC has the same problem and the list goes on. I am finding the same with Apple although it's not as apparent due to having only a handful of phones. The Playbook is very different and so are Blackberry Products in general. QNX is like no other, it has so much potential and I agree if they just stick to their roots they will go much farther then trying to follow everyone else.

Thanks again Gabor

Be Bold!
    01-30-12 02:38 PM

Gabor
    Gabor, please PM me if you can.
    01-31-12 06:02 AM
    Gabor, excellent letter. I hope TH reads it. Better yet, I hope he takes it to heart and doesn't dismiss it.

I visited your site and am very impressed with Teknision's ideas, and just had one to offer to you guys.

I work in a hospital, so naturally I gravitated towards your Medical Reference Prototype. With the new PB's rumored to have NFC, I think you guys could make a killer program that loads current patient data into the PB using NFC. After the physician or nurse walks into the patient's room, they would tap the PB to an NFC radio on the patient's bed. All info would be loaded into the PB. From there the health care professional can review the patient's electronic chart and order exams, bloodwork, meds, etc. based on what they determine the patient needs. As they leave the room, tap the PB to the NFC radio again to save any changes to the patient's chart and complete any orders. This would also remove the patient info from the PB for HIPPA, and the doctor or nurse can move to the next patient.

It's just a basic idea, but hopefully something you can work with. I know I'd love to see it on my PB and be able to use it throughout the day.

As far as the home automation goes, are we going to see that any time soon? It's another thing I'd love to have on my PB.

Thanks!
    Last edited by drjay868; 01-31-12 at 06:59 AM.
    01-31-12 06:57 AM
    Awesome..Good letter. And written from a source that should have credibility.

I would only have added to stick to promises and keep them... or dont make them at all and keep your trap shut. RIM has done more harm to itself than the competition has by far.
    02-01-12 05:18 AM

Gabor

Great open letter! It pretty much sums up what everyone has thought all along. RIM is a sh*t show on the inside, and they don't have anyone actually running the ship. Hopefully Thor will change that, although i'm not sure what to think considering he's been there for the last 4 years and yet things have sunk as low as they have. I was surprised to read that TAT had very little involvement with the OS. Wasn't that why they were aquired lol? All's they've managed to produce is a cutesy photo app. BFD.

The above statement is a little premature imo. We haven't seen how QNX integrates with a new BB10 to know if there is any hardware or software issues. ALL phones have issues of some sort, and I expect there will be some here as well..especially considering there will be a new chipset in the new phones.

I seriously see how RIM fails at seeing what it's consumer wants. They have probably the largest fan site of ANY mobile platform, where consumers have spoken up about wants and needs for years. The fact they either failed to recognize this, or failed to care about, speaks volumes to me.
    02-01-12 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD