I will make it real easy.....if its not from the play store or amazon then you are probably in a grey area. 1mobile and aptoide are certainly sketchy on where the content comes from.

Now with that say even legit stores have "malware" problems as anyone can right an app that will pass inspection but have bad intentions. Flashlight apps that want access to contacts are perfect examples of this. It can happen on any store so that is why its important to check permissions no matter what store you are downloading from.
    03-12-14 12:55 PM
    Warning, danger will Robinson, Danger!!

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:06 PM
    I will make it real easy.....if its not from the play store or amazon then you are probably in a grey area. 1mobile and aptoide are certainly sketchy on where the content comes from.

Now with that say even legit stores have "malware" problems as anyone can right an app that will pass inspection but have bad intentions. Flashlight apps that want access to contacts are perfect examples of this. It can happen on any store so that is why its important to check permissions no matter what store you are downloading from.
    So given this, what are your thoughts on CB posting about stores like apktrain with no mention about this "greyness"?

(Clearly, I would like to see some mention from CB about excercising caution. Others feel that CB is correct to not mention anything. I believe both opinions have validity).
    03-12-14 01:08 PM
    Seems like a silly thread to me.... What next... do we warn users not to spill coffee on their Blackberry..... If you cannot figure out that any app other than those posted in BB world has a potential danger then maybe you should not be using a smartphone....
    03-12-14 01:20 PM
    Seems like a silly thread to me.... What next... do we warn users not to spill coffee on their Blackberry..... If you cannot figure out that any app other than those posted in BB world has a potential danger then maybe you should not be using a smartphone....
    For experienced, tech-savvy users like you and myself, this is obvious. However, I know for a fact that many longtime smartphone users are not really aware of these dangers. And then there are the novice users...

In fact, there is a user in this very thread who believes that worrying about malware is akin to being a "tinfoil hat wearer".

Anyhow, I've said my piece. At this point, there is nothing really new for me to add.

I hope this sparks some productive discussion on -- what I believe to be -- an important issue.

Cheers
    03-12-14 01:33 PM
    We use blackberry BECAUSE. Android is unsafe. it's something that is just understood...

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:39 PM
    Hey if McDonald's can be sued for hot coffee being drank and spilled even after life experience and the warning on the lid, then anything is possible.

Heed the warnings and go from there.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:42 PM
    So given this, what are your thoughts on CB posting about stores like apktrain with no mention about this "greyness"?

(Clearly, I would like to see some mention from CB about excercising caution. Others feel that CB is correct to not mention anything. I believe both opinions have validity).
    Like mention BB warns you install any APK and that is enough. BB opened up the can of worms by allowing for the sideloading. If people get into trouble then they brought it on themselves for the most part by downloading outside of BB world basically.
    03-12-14 01:44 PM
    Open letter to Kevin Michaluk / CB:

Kevin, I think you're great, but I'm very very disappointed in you and the CB staff for not bringing the issue of Android app store trust/security to the forefront.

When you/CB post an article about how to use aptoide, Apktrain, or 1Mobile to download Android apps, your readers assume that it mean's these stores are totally safe (and possibly they are). However, the majority of CB users (based on comments under CB posts about new APK stores) assume that ANY 3rd party Android store is safe. And THAT is just dangerous.

We don't need a BlackBerry security breach to occur. That would be detrimental to BlackBerry right now, particularly when security is one of BlackBerry's remaining differentiators from the competition.

You and the CB editorial staff are the experts, and the fact that you've been so quiet on the subject can only have bad repercussions.

You guys owe it to your users to be honest about the risks around using 3rd party Android stores.

At the very least, let the community know that there IS a risk!

So many have no idea that any risk exists. They're out there downloading APKs from any store they happen to find on Google!!

C'mon CB. Put your loyal users first, and say something (ANYTHING!) definitive about 3rd party Android app stores and the fact that many provide modified APKs containing viruses and malware.

Please!

Thanks,

-mnc76

Edit / Amendment:
    Just to be clear: I don't hold CB at fault for anything. They don't have any obligation to do mention anything. I'm just *disappointed* that they haven't been more clear about the dangers of malware.

You'll notice I scratched out the line I had above about CB "owing" the community. CB clearly doesn't "owe" anything. At the end of the day, it is up to individual users to learn about APK saftey themselves.

However, CB has always been a very user-oriented site that does things to help the BlackBerry community on a daily basis. I would have thought they would have done more to inform users about this issue.

It's because CB is such a GOOD SITE that this seems to stand out to me.

Again -- I'm not saying it's CB's responsibility (it isn't).

Just saying I expected more from CB. Just my opinion.

PS: I still think CB is an amazing site and is still best resource for BlackBerry on the entire web.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    total waste of time, there is a clear warning when you intall android apk files, everytime. The first time you are warned and have to go into settings to allow it. If your not going to read there your not going to read it anywhere...JMO
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-12-14 01:47 PM
    I don't see what the problem is with writing an article explaining the risks and how to protect yourself. Crackberry have actively promoted sideloading afterall.
    03-12-14 02:02 PM
    Not to worry. Part of what makes BlackBerry's Android player a "better Android than Android" is that it's sandboxed. Android apps can't escalate their permissions the way they can on Android. I suspect that some Android apps don't "work" because they're up to no good.
    03-12-14 02:35 PM
    There is that warning when installing an android app

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 02:38 PM
    Spoke on this before.

Legitimate websites/ forums do not allow you to post warez or link to them. Crackberry being a legitimate site should never be directing its users to sketchy websites/ stores.

The Android community has dealt with this years ago. Crackberry needs to be clear on this and stop promoting these types of sites.

Everyone should know how to use a search engine by know. If you want content from sources other than BBW, Google Play or Amazon you are on your own. If you want apps without paying, you are on your own.
    mnc76, howarmat and MrGlenn like this.
    03-12-14 03:43 PM
    Spoke on this before.

Legitimate websites/ forums do not allow you to post warez or link to them. Crackberry being a legitimate site should never be directing its users to sketchy websites/ stores.

The Android community has dealt with this years ago. Crackberry needs to be clear on this and stop promoting these types of sites.

Everyone should know how to use a search engine by know. If you want content from sources other than BBW, Google Play or Amazon you are on your own. If you want apps without paying, you are on your own.
    I'm actually very shocked and disappointed that there has been such pushback in the community against this issue.

So many of the posters on this thread talk about how the dangers of third party app stores is a "known fact" for everyone...

Look at the comments under James Richardson's 'apktrain' post! You'll see exactly how supposedly "known" this is.

crackberry.com/apk-train

HINT: A substantial amount of users have NO IDEA.

Let's not throw these people to the wolves everyone. Do you really believe that they "deserve" malware because of their ignorance about this? What is so wrong with providing others with the benefit of our deeper knowledge on the subject?

As another poster so eloquently put:

WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE??

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 03-14-14 at 01:37 AM.
    03-14-14 01:18 AM
    Not to worry. Part of what makes BlackBerry's Android player a "better Android than Android" is that it's sandboxed. Android apps can't escalate their permissions the way they can on Android. I suspect that some Android apps don't "work" because they're up to no good.
    Can you explain this more in layman's terms? I do not install any android apps because of the blanket permissions they request.

If I understood better how it works maybe I have less to worry about than I thought.
    03-14-14 01:48 AM
    Whether you agree with the OPs reasons for wanting CB to educate their readers or not, I personally know their is some merit behind what he is saying.

Last November I started my first CB thread. I had been a reader of CB forums for quite some time as my source for BB info but hadn't been an active participant in the forums.

Last November I loaded the .1055 leak that enabled .apk loading on my Z30. After reading an article on CB and following their suggestion I used 1Mobile to download some Android apps directly. And I will admit I assumed it was a legitimate and safe source (and I cant say it is or isnt). But after loading some apps I did some further research on 1Mobile and it raised some concerns. I came across internet posts stating they are based in China, had some issues with security, and apps aren't necessarily legit and may not be trustworthy (again I can't confirm whether this is true or not, I am sharing what I read).

This made me very nervous as I had heard of malware concerns with Android many times. That being said this is what prompted me to submit my first thread on CB and as I was freaked out a bit. I am by no means technically challenged and wouldn't argue if someone said I should have done more research myself.

I am also not hear to say it is incumbent on CB to warn people of these potential risks. Where I can say the OP is correct is some of us on here trust CB to the point where we don't feel the need to challenge their recommendations or feel concerned about issues such as security of where we are being directed.

For anyone that may not believe what I am saying I have shared the link to my initial thread below. You can tell from my posts I was pretty concerned.

03-14-14 02:04 AM
    I agree with the OP. While Crackberry certainly can't be held accountable for the actions of users, the recent article about APK train is the perfect example.

Without hardly a critical note, there is a post about a new APK source. I may have high expectations of Crackberry, but is it too much to ask that articles are at least a bit conscious of potential consequences? I love Crackberry because they usually put out critical, thought out articles, without a 'I posted it first' mentality.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 02:43 AM
    On 10.2.1 you actually have to enable the ability to install apps from "other" sources. Moreover when the Android app installs the permissions requested are plainly stated.

I expect everyone that uses their phone to be able to read these things written in plain English (or whatever language they use on their phone), digest it and take heed.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-14-14 03:01 AM
    On 10.2.1 you actually have to enable the ability to install apps from "other" sources. Moreover when the Android app installs the permissions requested are plainly stated.

I expect everyone that uses their phone to be able to read these things written in plain English (or whatever language they use on their phone), digest it and take heed.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Please just peruse the comments on the article linked below... (Or any other CB article on 3rd party app stores to see the reality of what so many users actually know and are are actually downloading.)

crackberry.com/apk-train

As Yogi Berra said :

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice... There is."

Again, the question is: What is the downside to mentioning the issue of 3rd party app store security in articles that encourage CB members to use them?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 04:03 AM
44 12