Walmart sells enough DVD's still and I think they will be around for a little while yet. Yesterday my parents had a new Sony 40 inch TV delivered and the guys setting it up saw their VCR and said "don't get rid of it, they are hard to find now and getting expensive" Blank tapes can still be purchased but getting harder to find. Americans were much quicker to jump on DVR's than Canadians so we tend to keep things longer I have noticed.

As for Whatsapp being killed off I blame Zuckerberg. The infastructure is built for it, it does not cost as much to maintain it as it did to start it up for our devices, it is peanuts for him, and Mark forgets that back 7 or so years ago when Facebook was getting really popular it was people with Blackberries that helped to make it big.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I agree with you on Zuckerberg. I don't know what he has against BlackBerry

Long Live BB10!
    08-19-16 05:26 AM
    I wonder how many 'open letters' BlackBerry reads? /sarcasm
    08-19-16 06:27 AM
    Walmart sells enough DVD's still and I think they will be around for a little while yet. Yesterday my parents had a new Sony 40 inch TV delivered and the guys setting it up saw their VCR and said "don't get rid of it, they are hard to find now and getting expensive" Blank tapes can still be purchased but getting harder to find. Americans were much quicker to jump on DVR's than Canadians so we tend to keep things longer I have noticed.

As for Whatsapp being killed off I blame Zuckerberg. The infastructure is built for it, it does not cost as much to maintain it as it did to start it up for our devices, it is peanuts for him, and Mark forgets that back 7 or so years ago when Facebook was getting really popular it was people with Blackberries that helped to make it big.

You want to blame someone... blame Mike, Jim and Thor. They are the ones that pushed most of those BlackBerry users that made Facebook great... to other platforms. For Whatsapp this is a simple business decision that it looks like most developers are choosing to do also. At least Whatsapp gave everyone a year.....
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-19-16 08:08 AM
    You want to blame someone... blame Mike, Jim and Thor. They are the ones that pushed most of those BlackBerry users that made Facebook great... to other platforms. For Whatsapp this is a simple business decision that it looks like most developers are choosing to do also. At least Whatsapp gave everyone a year.....
    If Blackberry was an American company there would be Protests in the street about "Job Protectionism" and protests for keeping American jobs at home, and creating new ones. There would be government actions taken to ensure the company survives, similar to what GM experienced. GM was BIG enough that if it had failed then thousands of smaller parts suppliers would have had to close shop also. That's when we saw the wreckless "let it DIE mentality and if it did then the American economy would have been crippled. Same for Apple, there are a LOT of haters that say they want the demise, but once those American jobs are gone with the company then it is too late!

If Blackberry was as big as Apple, you can bet action would be taken. What Zuckerberg is doing is the equivalent of kicking someone when they are down after they helped the "kicker" get popular and then everyone blames the victim!

Any company can turn around. The US economy recovered but since the short-sightedness of those in charge killed off Plymouth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile now (for example) there can never be a new Barracuda, GTO or 442/Cutlass. Once its dead its DEAD! So you do what you can to try and keep it up and running. You invest in new and hopefully dazzling products because no matter what a company does people will complain but at least you TRY to innovate! Thinking for the LONG TERM and not selling off for the QUICK BUCK NOW.

Yes I blame Mark Zuckerberg. It is HIS decision!

Just because other companies are "doing it" doesn't make it right and especially to those that could lose their jobs.

08-19-16 01:06 PM
    If Blackberry was an American company there would be Protests in the street about "Job Protectionism" and protests for keeping American jobs at home, and creating new ones. There would be government actions taken to ensure the company survives, similar to what GM experienced. GM was BIG enough that if it had failed then thousands of smaller parts suppliers would have had to close shop also. That's when we saw the wreckless "let it DIE mentality and if it did then the American economy would have been crippled. Same for Apple, there are a LOT of haters that say they want the demise, but once those American jobs are gone with the company then it is too late!

If Blackberry was as big as Apple, you can bet action would be taken. What Zuckerberg is doing is the equivalent of kicking someone when they are down after they helped the "kicker" get popular and then everyone blames the victim!

Any company can turn around. The US economy recovered but since the short-sightedness of those in charge killed off Plymouth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile now (for example) there can never be a new Barracuda, GTO or 442/Cutlass. Once its dead its DEAD! So you do what you can to try and keep it up and running. You invest in new and hopefully dazzling products because no matter what a company does people will complain but at least you TRY to innovate! Thinking for the LONG TERM and not selling off for the QUICK BUCK NOW.

Yes I blame Mark Zuckerberg. It is HIS decision!

Just because other companies are "doing it" doesn't make it right and especially to those that could lose their jobs.

Sorry but Zuckerberg doesn't owe you or BlackBerry anything.... this is a free market society. It was up to BlackBerry to deliver product that people wanted to use and to build a userbase large enough to attracted 3rd Parties. There is absolutely no reason for Zuckerberg to "support" BB10.... especially when BlackBerry isn't even supporting it. Are you going to jump on John Chen for killing off Blend? These are all business decisions!
    MikeX74 likes this.
    08-19-16 01:25 PM
    Sorry but Zuckerberg doesn't owe you or BlackBerry anything.... this is a free market society. It was up to BlackBerry to deliver product that people wanted to use and to build a userbase large enough to attracted 3rd Parties. There is absolutely no reason for Zuckerberg to "support" BB10.... especially when BlackBerry isn't even supporting it. Are you going to jump on John Chen for killing off Blend? These are all business decisions!
    It's chump change for Mark to keep it running, its already built. He bought it to make more money and his "short-sightedness" to kill it off to a loyal userbase shows what his real motive is.

WHAT IF Blackberry recovers, then what will the relationship between Whatsapp and Blackberry be? Like I said any company can turn around. It is Mark that is burning the bridges here!

It's not always about "oweing" somebody something it is about future potential and NO ONE knows what can happen in a year or 2. Apple was on top a couple years ago and now they are lagging. Does this mean when Apple users deplete, should Mark kill support on Apple devices? NO! Because if a few months time the company could recover.

Once it's dead it's DEAD.

08-19-16 01:32 PM
    Actually I think Mark also has no problems killing off Whatsapp to certain users because he likely wants more users on his Facebook Messenger. All big buisnesses do is take over smaller buisnesses but the ultimate goal is the dollar.

I understand what you're saying about how buisnesses operate but that doesn't always mean it is for the good of the users. It doesn't mean I have to LIKE it either.

08-19-16 01:45 PM
    Please include a letter to RCA to bring back the SelectaVision Player and discs.
    And a letter to Pioneer to bring back LaserDiscs. They had better quality than VHS too.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 01:49 PM
    It's chump change for Mark to keep it running, its already built. He bought it to make more money and his "short-sightedness" to kill it off to a loyal userbase shows what his real motive is.

WHAT IF Blackberry recovers, then what will the relationship between Whatsapp and Blackberry be? Like I said any company can turn around. It is Mark that is burning the bridges here!

It's not always about "oweing" somebody something it is about future potential and NO ONE knows what can happen in a year or 2. Apple was on top a couple years ago and now they are lagging. Does this mean when Apple users deplete, should Mark kill support on Apple devices? NO! Because if a few months time the company could recover.

Once it's dead it's DEAD.

Sales might be "lagging" for Apple... but there are over a billion iOS devcies in use in the World today. Compared to probable only 20 Million BlackBerry's split between two very different OS - and the numbers are sill dropping. I would not be surprised that if the Apple numbers started to plummet, that at some point 3rd Parties would pull their support... maybe at 100 Million or 50 Million. I doubt they would stick around to see them fall to only 20 million. Windows can't get any tracking and they have 100's of thousands of Windows 10 users.

BBOS and BB10 are H I S T O R Y. Chen last year announced two security patches and sent out notification to developers (which Mark is) basically telling them there is no plans for upgrading the developer tools or the BB10 runtime - in other words that BlackBerry was basically phasing BB10 out.

Now many have argued that wasn't what they really meant... but a year later and one of those promised patches is six months late, and several key BlackBerry made apps have been EOL for BB10. So far it sure looks like those that think BlackBerry shelved BB10 about 20 months ago were right.

But from Mark's standpoint... even if BB10 or BBOS were brought back and started to rise in popularity. Do you think BlackBerry is going to blackball them or something? If people started buying BlackBerry's Mark would once again assign resources to support it. Simple business move, just like it is simply business to not spend resources to support a platform that doesn't have a large enough userbase.
    08-19-16 01:55 PM
    Sales might be "lagging" for Apple... but there are over a billion iOS devcies

BBOS and BB10 are H I S T O R Y. Chen last year announced two security patches and sent out notification to developers (which Mark is) basically telling them there is no plans for upgrading the developer tools or the BB10 runtime - in other words that BlackBerry was basically phasing BB10 out.

But from Mark's standpoint... even if BB10 or BBOS were brought back and started to rise in popularity. Do you think BlackBerry is going to blackball them or something?

If people started buying BlackBerry's Mark would once again assign resources to support it.
    I've accepted long ago that BB0S is "dead"(despite being in common use to millions today) and BB10 will be in exactly the same boat as BBOS after that second and last update. It is the Blackberry Company that I see potential in overall. I look toward innovation and potential future products/innovation to save a company. I am looking WAY beyond BBOS and BB10 to save Blackberry because we know that won't happen. It is the FUTURE products being released now that determine what will happen to the company and if those like Zuckerberg KILL essential apps we need now then who is going to buy a Blackberry when they think it is a sinking ship and they are considering a new Blackberry. So when Zuckerberg announces this, it has accomplished in scaring away potential customers and an already dwindling loyal userbase. My point is that it doesn't help when the company is down, it doesn't help Blackberry. There are jobs at stake here. It also doesn't help that there are many tech reporters that tear the new DTEK50 appart just based on OPINION when they may have never held one or used it for more than a day. That doesn't help either. I'm sure it's a fine device but when you got giants like Zuckerberg pulling the plug on essential apps and the media against you, my point, IT DOESN'T help.

Apple might have a billion users NOW but that is already changing. Some of those ios users may also migrate over to Blackberry so there is growth potential there as well. So I fully disagree with killing an essential app that could mean $$$ for Zuckerberg again. I am already seeing many people calling for the death of Apple. "If they build a better product I will buy it" but typically those saying this are not the ones who will buy one anyway. Its all talk, but dangerous talk.

So no, I don't see Blackberry blackballing Facebook, but the reverse is basically happening right now over Whatsapp. Mark is blackballing Blackberry the COMPANY. It is a BIG Gorilla in the room for Blackberry now to deal with. Who knows, maybe if Blackberry recovers, this decision to dump Whatsapp for Blackberries will create tension between the companies. That bridge is being burned and I'm not as confident as you that start-ups would resume as smoothly if Blackberry recovers. I think it would be a LOT more work to re-built those bridges again and start from scratch.

08-19-16 02:21 PM
    WhatsApp was quite clear that platform limitations were the reason why they had to leave certain platforms behind,

While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future.
    https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...mobile-devices

BlackBerry had announced back in October of 2015 that the BB10 SDK wouldn't be updated with 10.3.3, you can't really blame WhatsApp for that. A few devs on CrackBerry have complained in the past about API limitations (including some in the WhatsApp beta thread).

An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-19-16 02:30 PM
    WhatsApp was quite clear that platform limitations were the reason why they had to leave certain platforms behind,

https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/W...mobile-devices

BlackBerry had announced back in October of 2015 that the BB10 SDK wouldn't be updated with 10.3.3, you can't really blame WhatsApp for that.

An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    "Capabilities?" Lol Whatsapp works PERFECTLY still on OS7. That is just a word their lawyer uses to soften the blow meaning that it isn't profitable for them "right now."

Never take anything at face value.

08-19-16 02:33 PM
    WhatsApp and Facebook fully support the new BlackBerry devices. Zuckerberg owes absolutely nothing to BB10.

BB10 has between 5 and 10 million users. Those using BB10 devices as their primary phone would be at the low side of that range. It makes no business sense to support those numbers.
    08-19-16 04:22 PM
    WhatsApp and Facebook fully support the new BlackBerry devices. Zuckerberg owes absolutely nothing to BB10.

BB10 has between 5 and 10 million users. Those using BB10 devices as their primary phone would be at the low side of that range. It makes no business sense to support those numbers.
    Ok, they better hope that Blackberry never makes a comeback then, because as mentioned, anything is possible. Never say never.

08-19-16 04:33 PM
    Ok, they better hope that Blackberry never makes a comeback then, because as mentioned, anything is possible. Never say never.

You mean BB10 making a comeback, not BlackBerry, right?

If that happens (which it absolutely won't), and Facebook and WhatsApp return to the platform, people will download them again without hesitation.
    08-19-16 04:37 PM
    "Capabilities?" Lol Whatsapp works PERFECTLY still on OS7. That is just a word their lawyer uses to soften the blow meaning that it isn't profitable for them "right now."

Having a cannonball shackled to your ankle is PERFECTLY fine if you don't plan on going anywhere, not so much if you want to go places.
    08-19-16 04:38 PM
    Another issue that could be addressed is the fact that there is tremendous "fallout" that it was even announced Whatsapp will be stopped for the older devices because many seem to believe that this means it will be killed for ALL Blackberry devices. Most people don't bother to research which 0S's will be losing it, and they just assume ALL devices.

08-19-16 04:40 PM
    You mean BB10 making a comeback, not BlackBerry, right?

If that happens (which it absolutely won't), and Facebook and WhatsApp return to the platform, people will download them again without hesitation.
    Well I guess I had some hope for that but yes you are correct, I think we can safely say BB10 is pretty much done, as done as BBOS.

I understand about the new devices still having access to it, but I just think the Tech Media made it sound like there is no hope for Blackberry the company when the app's death was announced for the older devices. I don't personally consider BB10 as "old" because compared to what I am using now, it isn't.

but I digress...

08-19-16 04:44 PM
    Having a cannonball shackled to your ankle is PERFECTLY fine if you don't plan on going anywhere, not so much if you want to go places.
    This cannonball shackled running whatsapp still works as fast as Whatsapp shackled to my iphone, if not faster. So it is a shame to see it go from a functional perspective.

08-19-16 04:46 PM

Compare getting a WhatsApp call on BB10 to getting one on Android or Windows Phone and you'll have a good idea of what it could mean.

And it's not just about current features, but future features they want to implement as well. If BlackBerry was still updating their BB10 SDK I wouldn't doubt that WhatsApp would still support the platform, they'll still be supporting Windows Phone after all (not a huge difference in marketshare between BB10 and Windows Phone, but the latter still receives active OS and SDK updates).
    08-19-16 05:48 PM
    Compare getting a WhatsApp call on BB10 to getting one on Android or Windows Phone and you'll have a good idea of what it could mean.

And it's not just about current features, but future features they want to implement as well. If BlackBerry was still updating their BB10 SDK I wouldn't doubt that WhatsApp would still support the platform, they'll still be supporting Windows Phone after all (not a huge difference in marketshare between BB10 and Windows Phone, but the latter still receives active OS and SDK updates).
    Ok Roger that.

08-19-16 06:08 PM
46 12