I went onto N4BB and there talking about the launch for the Ontario device being summer 2015 plus talk about the other high end QWERTY devices :O ...

Source: BlackBerry Planning Octa-core 64-bit Device by 2015 - N4BB

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 04:50 AM
    Additionally, BlackBerry will utilize this same MSM8974 Qualcomm chip in the W-series (QWERTY device) and B-series (All-touch). Even though the future of high-end BlackBerry devices seems strong, it has had us all wanting more.

Reaching out to a few sources, we’ve confirmed that BlackBerry has been planning to utilize the Snapdragon MSM8994. This chip uses the 20 nm HKMG process and uses an octa-core 64-bit architecture. Each core can reach a frequency of up to 2.5 GHz with 4MB L2 cache.

Other features of the MSM8994 include:

1600MHz 4GB RAM LPDDR3 PoP
    Adreno 430 500 MHz
    Pixel fill Rate 6Gpix / s
    Vertex 500Mtri / s
    OpenGL ES3.0, direct x11.1, OpenCL1.2
    Will BlackBerry still continue on the path to an octa-core device now that John Chen is the CEO? If so, the plan is to have it ready by summer of 2015.
    02-08-14 05:20 AM
    We will see, 2015 is a long time away right now
    02-08-14 05:26 AM
    We will see, 2015 is a long time away right now
    But boy does time fly. You got kids? If so, then you know what I mean lol.

Posted via CB10
    Aatir Barlas and JesseBabe23 like this.
    02-08-14 07:28 AM
    Octacore - sounds like we need to look for a nuclear plant to power new devices.... :-)

Anyone updated on the "nuclear" battery technology? It's already in use for Pacemakers, satellites, U/W units etc.. so I guess the technology would be at least as "safe" now as Lithium based exploding batteries
    02-08-14 07:53 AM
    Octacore - sounds like we need to look for a nuclear plant to power new devices.... :-)

Anyone updated on the "nuclear" battery technology? It's already in use for Pacemakers, satellites, U/W units etc.. so I guess the technology would be at least as "safe" now as Lithium based exploding batteries
    You must mean Atomic battery Technology, batteries that will last approx: 10 to 12 years without ever charging them. Humm, will never need Charging Accessories ever
    02-08-14 10:45 AM
    You must mean Atomic battery Technology, batteries that will last approx: 10 to 12 years without ever charging them. Humm, will never need Charging Accessories ever
    i want my own miniature nuclear plant on my smartphone - so I can use the phone to power other household accessories as well - and perhaps recharge my car when needed.. and never have to think about recharging..
    02-08-14 11:40 AM

Imagine you have a meltdown... Damn I would feel sorry for you! LOL wake up in the morning with two heads... There was talk of a nuclear car don't know about a phone :/

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 07:24 PM
    As I said in the other thread on this topic, I'm impressed by the rumored specs. I think that summer 2015 is too long a wait
    The wait for the Z10 was also very long and by the time it came out its specs didn't match up to the iPhone on GS.

I think to be competitive and show the market that they are still a player, with long term potential, they need to be looking at summer/fall of 2014 for that device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    purplefish212 likes this.
    02-09-14 06:57 AM
    I went onto N4BB and there talking about the launch for the Ontario device being summer 2015 plus talk about the other high end QWERTY devices :O ...

Source: BlackBerry Planning Octa-core 64-bit Device by 2015 - N4BB

Posted via CB10
    Calendar or Fiscal 2015?
    02-09-14 08:08 AM
    I think there is some confusion here. The "Ontario" is the device that was recently seen on the geekbench site running 10.3 and quadcore. That device isn't this rumored Octacore device that N4BB reported on. The Ontario, my guess would be released later this year and this other device would be 2015. Just my thoughts on that.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 08:20 AM
    I think there is some confusion here. The "Ontario" is the device that was recently seen on the geekbench site running 10.3 and quadcore. That device isn't this rumored Octacore device that N4BB reported on. The Ontario, my guess would be released later this year and this other device would be 2015. Just my thoughts on that.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully you're correct and the Ontario will be released this year.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they have upped the specs from the Z30. I still think it need 1080p and Gorilla Glass to compete with current offerings from Samsung and Apple.

02-09-14 08:30 AM
    Hopefully you're correct and the Ontario will be released this year.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they have upped the specs from the Z30. I still think it need 1080p and Gorilla Glass to compete with current offerings from Samsung and Apple.

Not sure Gorilla glass is really that essential. After all its just a brand name gimmick.
    I liken it to band-aid and kleenex. A tissue is a tissue...kleenex is the same thing. if that makes any sense haha.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 08:33 AM
    Not sure Gorilla glass is really that essential. After all its just a brand name gimmick.
    I liken it to band-aid and kleenex. A tissue is a tissue...kleenex is the same thing. if that makes any sense haha.

Posted via CB10
    You're absolutely right. Gorilla Glass is a specific brand name of Owens Corning, as you say. To my knowledge, however, there aren't any other competitors with a similar very tough glass that is highly resistant to damage.

02-09-14 09:10 AM
    You're absolutely right. Gorilla Glass is a specific brand name of Owens Corning, as you say. To my knowledge, however, there are any other competitors with a similar very tough glass that is highly resistant to damage.

Depends what you consider highly resistant. I think everyone I know who has ever owned an iPhone has cracked/shattered the screen.
    I have never had a broken screen on any phone I have ever owned (none of which have been iphones). This had nothing to do with the type of screen but rather my treatment of my devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 09:14 AM
    Depends what you consider highly resistant. I think everyone I know who has ever owned an iPhone has cracked/shattered the screen.
    I have never had a broken screen on any phone I have ever owned (none of which have been iphones). This had nothing to do with the type of screen but rather my treatment of my devices.

Posted via CB10
    Very true. How you treat the phone is very important. Certainly Gorilla Glass would be an improvement over the current screen and I don't see there being any downside.

I've been fortunate too and never broken a screen. I have, however, scratched many a screen just by having it in my pocket with change or keys. On the other side I have also spent a large amount on screen protectors to avoid scratches.

I think Gorilla Glass would help with both of those.

Although Gorilla Glass isn't perfect I think it's a lot stronger than the current BlackBerry screens.

02-09-14 09:23 AM
    Very true. Certainly Gorilla Glass would be an improvement over the current screen and I don't see there being any downside.

I've been fortunate too and never broken a screen. I have, however, scratched many a screen. On the other side I have also spent a large amount on screen protectors to avoid scratches.

I think Gorilla Glass would help with both of those.

Although Gorilla Glass isn't perfect I think it's a lot stronger than the current BlackBerry screens.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would like BlackBerry to have the latest technology for everything. Just pointing out some facts that's all.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 09:27 AM
    How can anyone report on technology for smartphones for summer of 2015 using tech from 2013?

Automotive incubation might be that long, but not smartphones. If Ontario already exists surely it would be out before summer of 2015

CB10'n it via da Z
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-09-14 09:32 AM
    Oh don't get me wrong, I would like BlackBerry to have the latest technology for everything. Just pointing out some facts that's all.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely, and I agree with those facts. I hope you don't feel I'm arguing with your posts. I agree with you entirely.

As you just said, I too want BlackBerry to have the latest tech.

02-09-14 09:33 AM
    How can anyone report on technology for smartphones for summer of 2015 using tech from 2013?

Automotive incubation might be that long, but not smartphones. If Ontario already exists surely it would be out before summer of 2015

CB10'n it via da Z
    I totally agree with that. It really should be. If they waited until 2015 for the next high end touch screen they will only continue the downward spiral.

That's exactly what happened with the Z10. It was supposed to be leaps and bounds ahead of any other smartphone. But, they delayed the release and by the time consumers got their hands on it it was already behind.

02-09-14 09:40 AM
    Sapphire Glass is the ultimate , Apple just recently bought a company to furnish their needs for the screen.They currently use it on the camera and the home button.
    02-09-14 09:47 AM
    Sapphire Glass is the ultimate , Apple just recently bought a company to furnish their needs for the screen.They currently use it on the camera and the home button.
    Thanks for that info. I've never heard of sapphire glass. I'll have to research that a bit.

02-09-14 09:50 AM
    There's a reason why they used such a tiny amount of it... It's not cheap LOL. Knowing Apple they hate making things really expensive. Seeing as the different between 16GB and 32GB is near 120$ when the chip itself costs 5$ :/

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 10:30 AM
    That's exactly what happened with the Z10. It was supposed to be leaps and bounds ahead of any other smartphone. But, they delayed the release and by the time consumers got their hands on it it was already behind.
    BlackBerry has been very clear all the time - saying that they are in NO position to be able to compete on hardware - so how you can say that the Z10 was "supposed" to be leaps and bounds ahead - has no root in reality.

What BlackBerry did state - is that they will have the better OS - and that the main focus is on the software side...

This has been publicly announced by BlackBerry since long time before the launch of Z10

The day after new hardware is "out" - is is already obsolete - New inventions new hardware - is being developed every day - it is impossible to always be "best" on hardware. Also taking into consideration that not many users pay full price for a device today - but instead wait until their carrier have devices as parts of their plans - the time from a device is truly "new" and until users start getting them - can be 6+ months... and - the hardware already not "the best"anymore

With OS and software it is a totally different game. Today in 2014, BlackBerry10 IS a top dog when it comes to OS, it performs great, it has excellent support for developers, it has built-in features that allows you to get things done - it really is a platform that can be a solid foundation for many years to come. It even comes with a runtime system allowing you to run apps made for a different platform - and in many cases it runs those apps more smooth than they do on the device they originally was made for... Which other mobile OS does that?
    02-09-14 10:34 AM
    BlackBerry has been very clear all the time - saying that they are in NO position to be able to compete on hardware - so how you can say that the Z10 was "supposed" to be leaps and bounds ahead - has no root in reality.

What BlackBerry did state - is that they will have the better OS - and that the main focus is on the software side...
    What my buddy Thor said was that the Z10 would blow away the competition. It didn't.

If you're one of those people that lives in a fictional world where BlackBerry is top dog and the millions of people who are buying other devices and operating systems just don't know any better then there's no point in having further discussion.

OS and hardware are linked. Especially true on BlackBerry case where they make the hardware and OS.

BlackBerry is a great system, but it has its failings. Not accepting that will only lead to further downfall.

Time to face reality.

02-09-14 12:55 PM
65 123