Well, looks like we are next.

It was announced today that the use of cell phones, blackberries, handheld GPS and even ipods while driving, even if you are stopped.

They did say that hands free will be allowed, as well as mounted GPS units.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081027/ontario_cellphone_081028/20081028?hub=TorontoHome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 10:27 PM
    So get a bluetooth. What's the big deal? They did this in Ca already.

10-29-08 12:55 AM
    And explain to me how it is such a bad thing that ontario is legally forcing you to be a responsible driver who actually pays attention to the road instead of your cell...?

10-29-08 12:57 AM
    There's already a thread on this exact topic:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/onta...use-car-87295/

10-29-08 01:05 AM
    They should ban everywhere! Too many people die everyday due to irresponsibilty.
    10-29-08 01:07 AM
    @ jenay & Garz: Completely agree with both of you.
    10-29-08 01:13 AM
    I agree on this topic as well. I was involved in an accident cause some du*ba$$ wanted to text and drive.

10-29-08 01:16 AM
    I don't disagree with this, but they should also look into banning the application of make up while driving.
    If you ask me that is worse than holding a cellphone to your ear or hitting next on your ipod.

One person I work with got into 3 accidents in a couple months and all were caused by women putting on their make up.

10-29-08 09:38 AM
    It's not a big deal. Get bluetooth. 2 states bordering me have cellphone bans. I love my bluetooth so much, i wear it all the time when in the car no matter what state i am in
    10-29-08 09:39 AM
    From your avatar I bet I live in one of those states!

My last car was totaled by a woman in a huge SUV who blew through a red light while talking on her cell phone. At the time it wasn't illegal (the red light part was, of course), and I was glad when NY passed the law.
    10-29-08 11:15 AM
    It's a good law and has helped lower the accident rate in NY. Although I have seen PLENTY of people talking on cell phones whilest driving.
    10-29-08 12:37 PM
    Unfortunately my brother-in-law had to learn they meant business the hard way. Now he has bluetooth (much cheaper than the ticket was).
    10-29-08 12:42 PM
    I also agree. Yet I do text and drive alot

10-29-08 01:11 PM
    About time, I say.
    10-29-08 01:12 PM

How responsible of you.
    10-29-08 01:14 PM
    I'm so glad we live in different countries.
    10-29-08 02:31 PM
    I'm so glad we live in different countries.
    ding!

at least when you are talking you are looking where you are going!
    10-29-08 02:42 PM
    Yay! Finally! Maybe I'll actually be able to drive in Toronto without wanting to shoot some people now!

Now if only they'd start enforcing their damn smoking ban all would be well!
    10-29-08 03:58 PM
    Well I was watching this on City tv last night. I think it is a great idea. But I also feel that they need to work on more than just cell phones. I see Police officers on there phones on there computers. People drinking tim hortons eating food, donuts, need I go on? Someone said on City last night that they need to have something that is like the drinking and driving thing to where you can't get a cell signal while the car is running. I emailed them and was like, "what the heck?" I mean if you stop the signal what happens in an emergency. I think there are pros and cons to this whole thing. Think smart while driving. I mean we have drunk drivers why not worry more about that than a cell phone? There are So many things the gov't needs to work on so to but all there attention on this is crazy.
    10-29-08 04:07 PM
    In Switzerland it is now illegal to touch your phone whilst driving. Of course it is non-enforcable but the number of people phoning and driving has gone down.

I use a bluetooth headset and that's legal. The law has to do something. Soon we will have full streaming video (we already got YouTube) of TV shows and news feeds to our phones not to mention web browsing. I never text while driving.

It is 100% proven that talking on the phone - even via a headset - reduces your driving concentration.

Not using a phone while driving reduces the accident rate for sure.
    10-29-08 06:20 PM
    I am hopeful that all cars will have built in Btooth someday. My car has it in the Bose system and it is really nice. Just hit a button the wheel to answer the phone. I have been rear ended twice in the last 4 years due to drivers on cell phones and both times I was at a stop light.

10-29-08 06:29 PM
    BMW has great bluetooth. If you have idrive, the phonebook comes up on the screen and you scroll to a letter, then click down and scroll to a name to dial. Caller id also displays and you answer with a button on the steering wheel. They also have an option for ipod where the ipod display comes up on the idrive screen as well and you control it with the wheel on the console--playlist, artist, album.

Regardless of what you hear, idrive is easy to use--especially if you're at all tech savvy, as most of us must be. BTW, the voice recognition also works pretty well--dial name or number, give a radio station.

I can't count how many times I see some soccer mom in a giant SUV trying to back out of a parking space or make a turn with the cell phone in their hand. They can barely drive. I wish they could just have their licenses revoked on the spot for being stupid.

Bluetooth should be required standard equipment, just like seatbelts.
    10-29-08 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD