They did a lot more than just a Super Bowl add and Formula One. BB spent millions on the launch of BB10 1.0. The problem was the product was way too late from a market perspective but way too soon based on product quality. BB finally got it right with version 2.1, but by then many corporate customer and fan boys were gone. Also, BB had completely messed up their server software, BES 10 was a disaster. They only started to turn things around with BES 12. Again by then many customers had left to find solutions from other vendors.

For the Chen haters, none of these problems were caused by Chen. He was brought in to perform emergency triage. His options were greatly limited. BB was burning through tons of cash. He probably has made some mistakes, but considering the mess he inherited from the two previous leadership teams it's amazing how well he has done.
    Would you have green lighted the Passport or the Z50 all touch? Would you have given the Classic a tired old processor?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 11:03 PM
    I don't want a no-name knock-off battery for safety reasons and nobody has been able to tell me where I can get a genuine, OEM battery.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for OT, But this may help.
    BlackBerry Z30 Rear Housing with Battery 4G Version - ETrade Supply
    02-08-16 11:46 AM
    Hey guys, please stand on rails, don't name other brands users with disrespect and keep the good spirit going, Thanks.
    Some minor editing to avoid further derail and, moreover, the pain of the hammer.
    Have a nice evening !
    SF

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    02-08-16 11:57 AM
    I'll move to a Windows phone if the time ever comes I have to leave BlackBerry. I will not use Android and would rather not go iOS.
    02-09-16 07:54 AM
    I'll move to a Windows phone if the time ever comes I have to leave BlackBerry. I will not use Android and would rather not go iOS.
    Curious, why Windows?

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 02:25 PM
    Because it works on my Lumia 830 running windows 10
    02-09-16 07:43 PM
    Blackberry has been testing the waters with BB10 for several years now. It's has been a complete failure in the marketplace.
    I completely understand their pain. My smartphone design, the NonExistant, received almost the same amount of advertising effort as BB10 and it too has failed miserably. Seems that people don't know about it at all, carriers won't stock it, many even claim that they can't even order one. Yup..just like BB10. Same effort, same result.

Blackberry 10 not Android
    02-09-16 08:35 PM
    Why don't you still run Windows on your old 386 CPU with 4 MB of RAM? That's what I was running in 1991. I guess Microsoft had "planned obsolescence" when they "slowed down my PC" by releasing newer versions of Windows. Of course, let's not talk about all of the functionality, security, and capabilities that have been added to Windows over those years - that doesn't matter. What does matter is that my 386 is no longer usable!

/sarcasm

You're really making the same argument. Phone OSs have been gaining capabilities rapidly over the last few years, but the "cost" of that is that older hardware simply isn't up to the job anymore. It's not that the hardware got slower, it's that the newer OSs had so many more features and capabilities that they need more horsepower (CPU speed, bus speed), more RAM with more lanes, better GPUs, etc.) in order to run the new OSs as smoothly as the old hardware ran the old, less-capable OS that it launched with.

No one forces you to upgrade your old OS version, but if you do, and that phone is 3+ years old, you need to realize that there's 3 more years of software development, adding features and functions that a lot of people want, built into that new OS, and your old hardware just might not be able to handle that well. That's not a conspiracy, it's just the way technology works.
    However Apple simply send the wrong impression that iPhone 4s can run even faster and smoother after upgrading to iOS 9. Mehhhh

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 02:20 AM
    Let's not rewrite history shall we.
    While Blackberry never advertised as much as they should of, they received a ton of free hype and advertising in the run up to the release of BB10 from various sites.
    Blackberry did advertise the Z10 quite extensively as well.
    And have we forgotten already the millions spent on the Superbowl ad which was supposed to change the world? Despite the fact that it was big money for a small sport with limited exposure.
    Then there's the Formula One sponsorship which has probably been the only decent thing done by the marketing team.

I think the Superbowl ad alone is a major example that money thrown at marketing is in no way a guarantee of success.

BB10 had much more issues then just lack of advertising. It simply did not appeal to the masses. And that included die hard Blackberry fans as it was legacy devices and their service charges that bankrolled the continuation of BB10 after it flopped.
    Yes. The Superbowl ad was stupid because it was in a market where the first BB10 phone was released two months after the one-time showing of the ad. Then they stopped advertising when Chen arrived and eliminated the VP of Marketing position on arrival. That announced to those who had the eyes to see and think what his plan was. He made it clear only a few months ago.
    Apple and Samsung advertise every day, not just once three years ago.
    02-10-16 08:06 AM
    Yes. The Superbowl ad was stupid because it was in a market where the first BB10 phone was released two months after the one-time showing of the ad. Then they stopped advertising when Chen arrived and eliminated the VP of Marketing position on arrival. That announced to those who had the eyes to see and think what his plan was. He made it clear only a few months ago.
    Apple and Samsung advertise every day, not just once three years ago.
    The Superbowl ad was a waste of money for the market and amount of exposure it received. Also the ad itself was absolutely crap. Bb10 could have been released in America and the Superbowl ad would not have helped it.
    Also BlackBerry stopped advertising well before Chen took over. He got rid of someone who was doing nothing
    02-10-16 08:35 AM
    re : BB10 superbowl add.
    This add, whatever the quality, was not (IMHO) designed to be run "left alone". It was a starting point ... which appears to finally become the end point too. This parameter adds to the 'nonsensical' feeling many express here.
    Since it's OT, won't comment further, but I believe it should be included in your appreciations.
    02-10-16 08:58 AM
    The Superbowl ad was a waste of money for the market and amount of exposure it received. Also the ad itself was absolutely crap. Bb10 could have been released in America and the Superbowl ad would not have helped it.
    Also BlackBerry stopped advertising well before Chen took over. He got rid of someone who was doing nothing
    But he did not replace him with anyone. That communicated everything about what Chen's plan was.
    02-10-16 09:07 AM
    But he did not replace him with anyone. That communicated everything about what Chen's plan was.
    True. But to be fair. The damage was already done.
    02-10-16 09:16 AM
    I completely understand their pain. My smartphone design, the NonExistant, received almost the same amount of advertising effort as BB10 and it too has failed miserably. Seems that people don't know about it at all, carriers won't stock it, many even claim that they can't even order one. Yup..just like BB10. Same effort, same result.

Blackberry 10 not Android
    Well if your NonExistant was released in 2013 with almost none of the top apps which Android and IOS offered and tens of millions of buyers expected to be there, no wonder it failed.

I bet if you had spent 5 billion dollars marketing the NonExistant with zero top apps, it still would have failed.

I have a better case than the NonExistant- it's called Windows Phone. Billions invested, huge advertising campaign, lack of apps, market failure. Reality trumps unicorns every time.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    JeepBB and Jerry A like this.
    02-10-16 09:26 AM
    Well if your NonExistant was released in 2013 with almost none of the top apps which Android and IOS offered and tens of millions of buyers expected to be there, no wonder it failed.

I bet if you had spent 5 billion dollars marketing the NonExistant with zero top apps, it still would have failed.

I have a better case than the NonExistant- it's called Windows Phone. Billions invested, huge advertising campaign, lack of apps, market failure. Reality trumps unicorns every time.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Everyone dissociates the lack of apps from the poor marketing and launch like it was an impossible mountain to overcome. I say that's BS and the lack of apps, the lack of marketing, the lack of a decent launch, and poor model choices, are all in the same basket of failure. To imply that no one can upset the Android and Apple cart is to imply that no one could upset BlackBerry back in the day. It's simply not true. They failed not because of the product per se but because they didn't push it to its full potential when they had the opportunity to do so. Would they have captured back the full market? Likely not, but they'd be farther ahead than they are now.

As for Windows phone, wait and see. MS is playing the long game with Win 10 and the may just slowly erode their way into a decent market share. I think that they have a much better chance of success than BlackBerry right now.
    02-10-16 05:38 PM
    It's too bad there was never a unified standard for development.

When you think about it, there's really only one target market - mobile phone users. Why mobile phones have to have such vastly different development environments for what is effectively one type of device seems silly to me.

There really should have been one development platform that developers could write for. No more iOS apps or Android apps. Just "Mobile" apps that would run on any "Mobile" platform.

I'm looking forward to the day Google pulls the plug on Play Services for iOS.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    02-10-16 05:47 PM
    The demographic of iPhone users suits Google.

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-10-16 06:02 PM
    Would you have green lighted the Passport or the Z50 all touch? Would you have given the Classic a tired old processor?

Posted via CB10
    Yes on the PP, was worth the gamble to try something different. Too bad BlackBerry customers forced such a low price on the phone. If the price had stayed high BB10 might still be doing ok.

I can't say on the Z50, I don't have access to the sales numbers of the Z30, but those who do have access decided it was not worth the effort. My guess is their research showed BB10 customers would be unwilling to pay for a high end flagship phone. The phone would have to sell for around $700+ to generate enough return. No BB10 had been able to sustain that price point.

The classic was built to sell at a certain price point. The only other processor choice BB had was the 801. This would be over kill in the classic unless all other aspects of the phone were upgraded. Then the Classic would no longer fit in the price point it was designed to meet.

The bigger problem is that since BlackBerry slashed the price of the Z10 and Z30 Blackberry's ASP has plummeted. Blackberry's users have been demanding low cost phones. BlackBerry can't survive selling BB10 phones for $250.
    02-10-16 06:16 PM

And I'll bet Apple's lawyers were sure to write ironclad contacts when first negotiating with Google, to prevent exactly that.
    02-10-16 07:00 PM
    Everyone dissociates the lack of apps from the poor marketing and launch like it was an impossible mountain to overcome. I say that's BS and the lack of apps, the lack of marketing, the lack of a decent launch, and poor model choices, are all in the same basket of failure. To imply that no one can upset the Android and Apple cart is to imply that no one could upset BlackBerry back in the day. It's simply not true. They failed not because of the product per se but because they didn't push it to its full potential when they had the opportunity to do so. Would they have captured back the full market? Likely not, but they'd be farther ahead than they are now.

As for Windows phone, wait and see. MS is playing the long game with Win 10 and the may just slowly erode their way into a decent market share. I think that they have a much better chance of success than BlackBerry right now.
    Windows is playing the long game only because MS has nearly $100 billion in free cash. If they were down to 3 billion I can all but assure you Windows Phone would be long dead.

MS lost a ton of money on xbox at first, but stayed with it because they had cash reserves to support a losing proposition. Same with the mobile division. BB has no such luxury right now.

I need to read Windows Central to see if they are as in denial about the importance of apps as Crackberry is. Keep your head in the sand, folks! That mushroom cloud is just an illusion!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-16 07:34 PM

When you think about it, there's really only one target market - mobile phone users. Why mobile phones have to have such vastly different development environments for what is effectively one type of device seems silly to me.

There really should have been one development platform that developers could write for. No more iOS apps or Android apps. Just "Mobile" apps that would run on any "Mobile" platform.

?Ballmer to Microsoft: Universal apps won't work, Android on Windows Phone will | ZDNet
    02-10-16 07:37 PM
    And I'll bet Apple's lawyers were sure to write ironclad contacts when first negotiating with Google, to prevent exactly that.
    Then there's the fact Google paid Apple $1 million to have Google be the default search engine for iOS... Something tells me Apple is still too powerful a business partner for those type of plays.

 Q10
    02-10-16 08:05 PM

IOS has access to the Google play store?
    02-10-16 08:13 PM
    IOS has access to the Google play store?
    Services, not store.
    02-10-16 08:22 PM
    Windows is playing the long game only because MS has nearly $100 billion in free cash. If they were down to 3 billion I can all but assure you Windows Phone would be long dead.
    I think they are playing the long game only because if the scalability of Windows 10. That must reduce costs significant for them. If they didn't have 10, they'd be out, I think. Money or no money. MS has a vision. BlackBerry has been missing that for years.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-10-16 09:37 PM
113 ... 2345