They have had over a year of development to show us a new device. All they offered was a name with no info and said ohh it will come out by the end of the year.
    For me this simply means that we didn't get a slightly improved Q10 running 10.2.1 but will rather get massively improved hardware and software (10.3 supporting higher resolutions and higher multicore chipsets) later this year.

A new Q10 with slightly better specs and a slightly improved OS wouldn't have helped BlackBerry at all other than a couple of thousands diehard BlackBerry fans replacing their (at most) one year old phones once again.
    02-26-14 08:27 AM
    The Q20 probably requires considerable additional work in terms of adjusting their firmware and some aspects of the OS, as well as providing information to help app developers get on board. With every new phone that gets released, there are QA issues that have to be addressed to make sure that apps will run on them correctly, as well as making sure that they will run correctly on mobile provider networks.

Clearly, this type of device is something that wasn't being considered until the new leadership arrived, so all of this had to start from scratch within the past couple of months.

We're talking about a device that will give the DoD contractors and others that are still using legacy phones the opportunity to switch to something they like and stay with BlackBerry. They have to make sure they do a really good job on this phone. Subsequent versions of the "classic" form factor that also run on BB10 shouldn't take as long, because most of the heavy lifting will be done on this one.
    02-26-14 08:38 AM
    If they can't fine tune the models they have out now what makes them think the "New" stuff is going to fly....the forums will be full of even more whining and crying than there is now.
    02-26-14 08:43 AM
    I think you're spot on regarding the purpose of the Q20. On the other hand, I think it's clear that Chen *does* care about the consumer market too. He just has got to do something for all of the legacy holdouts first. That's critical.

When Chen took over, he made it very clear that BB was going to be focusing on two markets:

1. Emerging markets where BB is still popular/well-regarded (relatively), and,
    2. Regulated enterprises.

Notice that the (mature-market) consumer market is no where on this list. He's not building these phones for that market, because he's not targeting that market. BB did that in 2013 and nearly destroyed itself.

The Z3 is for emerging markets. It's competing against phones like the Moto G and the Lumia 520, plus a bunch of cheaper but still surprisingly well-spec'ed phones from Chinese manufacturers that are currently selling very well in these markets. It is not, and was never intended to be a phone for the US, Canada, or Europe.

The Q20 is targeted at the regulated enterprise market, most of whom are still using legacy BBOS devices. Chen is hoping to give them a phone that is very easy to transition onto from BBOS, hence the "belt" of buttons. Again, this phone is NOT targeted at the general consumer market, and Chen frankly doesn't care what consumers think of it - he cares what those big enterprise companies are asking for, because that's who he is trying to sell too.

Sure, Chen will be fine if some consumers decide to buy a Z3 or Q20 on their own, and he knows a few people will, but he's not trying to please those people. He's trying to see if the handset business is even still viable, and so he's targeting the two markets where he expects to see the greatest chance of success. If these phones flop, then you can be sure that BB will be out of the handset business. If, instead, sales of these phones are good in their respective markets, then BB can take another look at the consumer market. That's going to be 2015 at the very earliest - he's made that quite clear.

Folks need to listen to the information Chen has given, and set their expectations accordingly. Anyone who is expecting any push in the consumer market before at least 2015 is fooling themselves, and setting themselves up for disappointment.
    02-26-14 08:43 AM
    I am the biggest BlackBerry fan. Have the z10, z30 at home and use the q10 as my daily driver and love it. But I feel I need a bigger screen and I love my keyboard.
    Yes, I would agree. I feel the Q10's only downfall is the small, square, screen.

But why would BlackBerry reveal the Z3 then pretend to reveal the Q20? They have had over a year of development to show us a new device. All they offered was a name with no info and said ohh it will come out by the end of the year.
    Remember, there's been a change in CEO and other management. Chen came in and scrapped at least two other devices that he felt were going to be weak in the market. Announcing the Q20 was fine, it helps to see the market reaction and go from there. The fact that it drove you to make this thread is a positive thing... for BlackBerry, lol.

What good does the z3 do us in the states? It will never be released here. Now they dangle the carrot of the q20 and say hang in there we have nothing to show but it will be out later this year...

How long do they expect us to wait and hope for the best. Guess I was just excited to see the Q20...

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    The Z3 is not meant for the USA. End of story. If you don't recall, they announced the Z3 at Mobile World Congress which is primarily geared towards Europe & Asia.... sooooo, yeah. With the Q20, as you said, that's exactly what was meant to be done, "dangle the carrot" and see who bites. If you really want it, just wait.

Patience is key.
    DurdenLunarius and CDM76 like this.
    02-26-14 09:00 AM
    I think you're spot on regarding the purpose of the Q20. On the other hand, I think it's clear that Chen *does* care about the consumer market too. He just has got to do something for all of the legacy holdouts first. That's critical.
    Actually, the announcement of the Q20 isn't just about the consumer market. I'd take a gamble and say that it's even moreso about the enterprise market. There are a lot of corporate companies that haven't upgraded to BlackBerry 10 because employees didn't like efficiency versus their Bold 9900s. It will be interesting to see what the response will be from both consumers and enterprise regarding the Q20.
    02-26-14 09:04 AM
    OK stop me if I'm wrong but you have a Z10, a Z30 and a Q10 to use. WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT ANOTHER PHONE LIKE THE Z3???
    Sorry. I can only afford one phone. You have 3 and among the 3 you're still not happy? I don't get it. Im not trying to be rude, but what are you complaining about?
    JayDee!!!

He's p1ssed cause it won't bake him cakes
    wincyUt likes this.
    02-26-14 09:05 AM
    I get it but sales weren't so great because they released a new os with devices that were already over a year behind in specs when they were released.

I'm one of the biggest BlackBerry fans you will find. I argue everyone I see down about how awesome BlackBerry 10 is. But it absolutely is dangling a carrot. They fully reveal the z3 and say ohh hey were releasing a q20 too just wait almost another year.

They said second half of this year not second quarter. Most reports say fall or later.

Maybe this time don't make millions and millions of phones to sit on shelves. Make a smaller amount for each area needed.

If they would just release one phone with killer specs and a keyboard and stop dragging us along and to hope for the best they would be back.

I see there's 4 pages total, but I'm going to stop on page 1 just to start off...

I agree with most everyone on page 1 that it's not really 'dangling a carrot' as they were tied up last year in lay-offs to downsize and financially make the company work better, plus the whole 'strategic evaluation' that led everyone to think BBRY would either go private under Watsa or be sold to some degree. So that ate up a lot of time that could have been devoted to R&D or plotting the next device after the Z30.

In the time since Chen took over he did say that it would be some time before another device would be launched and he made it clear that they are focusing on the issues/sectors that need to be corrected. So yes, the Z3 will not be released to the US at first, if ever, because emerging markets in general provide more explosive growth than the existing market leaders (US, UK and such). There's no point in talking down or speculating what the point of the Z3 is, because it's already been laid out - even the codename states it.

As for the Q20, yes it's a while to wait, but again they have enterprise customers to get back in touch with too, not just us consumers. They helped earn the company it's reputation as a mobile security leader; we were catered to later down the road after the iPhone and Android phones hit the scene. So again, yes, we will be catered to second. They need to get the BBOS holdouts on-boarded to BB10 in whatever way they can, not just to get BB10 more saturated, but for the same reason as Android is facing - getting BBOS off the market, just like Android is pushing Gingerbread off the market. This will also help accelerate the BES12 roll-out as it will not only manage both systems (BBOS and BB10) but all others as well (iOS, Android and now Windows Phone).

Let's not also forget that Foxconn is now in the mix, and if the fact that they can do a turn-around of approximately 4 months to churn out the Z3 shows anything, as opposed to their old ways of waiting on 4 or more OEM's, then the Q20 should be pushed out in record time.

I'm with you as a BB diehard. I'm the only one in my company's management team who uses a BB (and I had to earnestly convince my CEO that it was necessary), essentially because Android was more tantalizing and because they are stuck on how hard the old Nextel BB 7250i's were to manage - and we stopped using those in 2008! That negative sentiment needs to be wiped clean, so enjoy the fact that your favorite, and mine, is not dead but instead has solid plans on moving forward again.
    02-26-14 10:54 AM
    I could care less about the z3 my point is that it will never see the light of day in the US. And no I will not buy whatever they release. I have had an iphone 4-5s and several android phones (have a note 3 at home) and I love my Q10 the most.

But I need a bigger screen with a keyboard.

Not complaining but BlackBerry phones are already behind everything else and now they dangle the promise of a q20 to us and say ohh it will be released by the end of the year.

With the release of the galaxy s5 and iphone 6 are they seriously going to make us wait till the end of the year?

It's bs. They say ohh a q20 is coming but you will have to wait almost another year for it to be released. How long do they expect us to wait and hope for the best?

So go buy another phone with a larger display and a keyboard. Oh, wait...........
    02-26-14 11:38 AM
    I am the biggest BlackBerry fan. Have the z10, z30 at home and use the q10 as my daily driver and love it. But I feel I need a bigger screen and I love my keyboard.

But why would BlackBerry reveal the Z3 then pretend to reveal the Q20? They have had over a year of development to show us a new device. All they offered was a name with no info and said ohh it will come out by the end of the year.

What good does the z3 do us in the states? It will never be released here. Now they dangle the carrot of the q20 and say hang in there we have nothing to show but it will be out later this year...

How long do they expect us to wait and hope for the best. Guess I was just excited to see the Q20...

Well I guess things are tough all over.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-26-14 11:40 AM
    I agree. Wasn't implying that the Q20 was geared toward consumers. My thinking is that it's primarily for all the business users, particularly those working on federal contracts, who are still using legacy devices.

Actually, the announcement of the Q20 isn't just about the consumer market. I'd take a gamble and say that it's even moreso about the enterprise market. There are a lot of corporate companies that haven't upgraded to BlackBerry 10 because employees didn't like efficiency versus their Bold 9900s. It will be interesting to see what the response will be from both consumers and enterprise regarding the Q20.
    02-26-14 12:44 PM
    I agree I want them to get it right. A sleek and sexy powerful device is what we all want.

But the fact that that do this to us again. Dangle the carrot of the Q20 and tell us it's coming just wait almost another year...

Are they joking? Almost another year with nothing to show?

How many people are going to keep waiting after iphone 6 and galaxy S5 are released?

I love BlackBerry but so frustrated with pushing their fans to the backburner.

Why are you surprised? Did the Z10 or Q10 come on time? The one thing which seems to be consistent with BBRY is their product deployment strategy:

1) Speak about a product
    2) Wait
    3) Wait
    4) Wait
    5) Wait
    6) Launch a device only to realize that your specs are already outdated by other products in the market
    7) Release updates to "fix" the problems with the device
    8) Release more updates to "fix" other problems with the device
    9) Go back to #1 above
    02-26-14 01:55 PM
    Why are you surprised? Did the Z10 or Q10 come on time? The one thing which seems to be consistent with BBRY is their product deployment strategy:

1) Speak about a product
    2) Wait
    3) Wait
    4) Wait
    5) Wait
    6) Launch a device only to realize that your specs are already outdated by other products in the market
    7) Release updates to "fix" the problems with the device
    8) Release more updates to "fix" other problems with the device
    9) Go back to #1 above
    Really???
    02-26-14 02:01 PM
    If they can't fine tune the models they have out now what makes them think the "New" stuff is going to fly....the forums will be full of even more whining and crying than there is now.
    Didn't they do that? I remember going through 4 or 5 official updates (two of which were major) and numerous leaked OS versions over the course of one year.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-14 02:22 PM
    I agree. Wasn't implying that the Q20 was geared toward consumers. My thinking is that it's primarily for all the business users, particularly those working on federal contracts, who are still using legacy devices.
    Okay, I understand now.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    02-26-14 02:51 PM

Hasn't it only been 1 year since the Z10 came out? Most contracts run at least 2 years. We all know these are called Crackberries for a reason, and you have a bad case of addiction. The more you use, the more and stronger dose you need. This from a guy who still has a Curve 9320 and any BB10 is still a year away. Try to seek help.
    02-26-14 02:58 PM
    Does anybody here think 3.5 inch screen for the Q20 is still kind of small? With 1:1 ratio they can only go so big.
    Alsi all the 9900 users in my family and circle of friends, who recently switched to the Q10, wished the trackpad were there.

? CB10 ?
    02-26-14 03:15 PM
    Does anybody here think 3.5 inch screen for the Q20 is still kind of small? With 1:1 ratio they can only go so big.
    Alsi all the 9900 users in my family and circle of friends, who recently switched to the Q10, wished the trackpad were there.

? CB10 ?
    It is pretty small, yes - that's iPhone 4S size, which feels tiny in this day and age. I was hoping they could stretch their next QWERTY phone to 4-inches. But it's the biggest screen they've ever had on a physical keyboard phone (even the Torch slider was 3.2-inch) despite implementing the tool belt, so I think it should satisfy the majority of audience it's targeting in that respect.
    02-26-14 05:52 PM
    Yup, it's just you.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-26-14 06:40 PM

? CB10 ?
    It depends on how they do it.

If it's going to be a 3.5 inch SQUARE screen... it's still going to be small because it's going to be the same 1:1 ratio which is a problem....

If it's going to be a 3.5 inch RECTANGLE screen... it's going to be sweet because they can use the same ratio on the Z10/Z30 and the apps would work just fine and there would be more usability within the apps.
    02-26-14 07:26 PM
    I could care less about the z3 my point is that it will never see the light of day in the US. And no I will not buy whatever they release. I have had an iphone 4-5s and several android phones (have a note 3 at home) and I love my Q10 the most.

But I need a bigger screen with a keyboard.

Not complaining but BlackBerry phones are already behind everything else and now they dangle the promise of a q20 to us and say ohh it will be released by the end of the year.

With the release of the galaxy s5 and iphone 6 are they seriously going to make us wait till the end of the year?

It's bs. They say ohh a q20 is coming but you will have to wait almost another year for it to be released. How long do they expect us to wait and hope for the best?

So you are a device hoarder? Too many devices for one person. What's the point?
    02-26-14 07:39 PM
    I agree I think the Q20 is a mistake and the Z3 is too big

Via CB10, Brklyn, NY
    02-26-14 08:17 PM
    You're expecting BlackBerry to be on par with the other big companies and churn out high-end phones at a consistent rate? They are trying to dig themselves out of the hole they fell into, so how exactly do you imagine they would do such a thing?
    02-27-14 01:16 AM
    you also have to realize your not the only costumer BlackBerry has. Just because you want a bigger screen with keyboard and 'high end devices' being released every 6 months doesn't make it a top priority for BlackBerry nor does it make it good business. We all know BlackBerrys current predicament. They are a company trying to dig themselves out of a very slippery ditch and each move matters.

Right now focusing on the US market is the worst thing they can do. As mentioned by yourself, with the imminent release of phones like the iPhone 6, galaxy s5 etc the US market and other major markets in general will become ever so difficult to compete in and as we've already seen BlackBerry doesn't have the media creds to release a high end phone and get record breaking sales, doing so would be suicide. Just because your a die hard fan and will probably buy a new high end phone by BlackBerry one the first day doesn't mean everyone else will and neither will your purchase save BlackBerry even if you buy all their phones 10 times over.

Right now they are taking the slow steady and safe road and in my opinion it's the best course of action in the given situation. There are lots of untapped and emerging markets out there yet to be capitalized and if BlackBerry can get a strong foot hold in them they'll be able to come back to the major markets with a gusto and take over their rightful place among the top contenders.

Even the q20 is just another step to bring more loyal BlackBerry and enterprise users over the the bb10 setup to make things easier and more streamed lined for everyone else.

This is how BlackBerry is going to survive and this is how they will make a come back
    For such a die hard fan as you say you are you should have been among the first ones to understand all this rather than bashing BlackBerry for not following in the foot steps of corporate giants like apple and Samsung. Those guys can afford to make a crappy phone and live to tell about it, BlackBerry can't. Give them some time.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 02:15 AM
    Yawn.
    I cannot stand the posts that always start with the qualifying statements like�
    I�m a long time BlackBerry user�
    I love my BlackBerry, but�
    I am their biggest fan�
    Etc.

I also cannot stand when people list their devices as if it is a bona fide of sorts.
    �How can I be bashing when I have all of these devices�?

It�s the good human nature of �ambition� mixed with the bad human nature of �greed� that keeps the dirty persistent Pig-Pen cloud engulfing BlackBerry and their efforts. Cannibalism at its best.

If BlackBerry currently had 50 models out now, someone would complain about not having a specific tailored device, and bash BlackBerry for not having it.

I�ve found the same with apps. If someone has 50 apps installed, it�s the one single missing banking app that compels them to complain how terrible a device that BlackBerry makes.

It�s getting old.
    Attached Thumbnails Only one angry at BlackBerry?-pig-pen-peanuts.gif  
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-27-14 03:23 AM
110 ... 2345