Last week, I decided to purchase the OnePlus 3 in the UK at a pop up launch event.

Having followed the current crop of android phones closely, I decided that after four of BlackBerry handsets, it was time to dip my toes back into android and the OP3 was the best bang for buck on the market at the present time.

The following is my opinion and is in ment to endorse or criticise any product or company mentioned.

The OP3, is an excellent piece of hardware for the £309 I paid for the unit at launch.

It has a full metal body and a gorilla glass 4 construction.

It has very thin bezels and has a passable 1080p AMOLED Screen, with a tall but narrow overall built.

It feel premium in the hand but personally I think the phone is way too thin to hold comfortably.

The battery is 3000 mha which I believe should have been closer to 4000 mha because of the 5.5 Inch screen. Granted the 1080p Screen helps preserve the battery life and in general I did get a full day on a charge, but the OP2 have a slightly larger 3000+ battery and I think this was a mistake on features by OnePlus.

Due to the SnapDragon 820 processor and 6 GB of ram, the OP3 is incredibly fast to use and coming from the current performance of the Passport, was quite a shock but a very plenty one.

For me, OnePlus messed up one thing that I hope future BlackBerry android handsets will avoid, they did not include a micro SD card.

This is not a Nexus device so I have no idea why they made this foolish decision.

The OP3 does have 64GB of internal storage which is great but no ability to increase this without some form of OTG dongle, and as I found out, transferring photos and data from my Passports SD Card was a pain in the A$$ and pointlessly time consuming.

Colour OS is the OP3 version of stock android Marshmallow, and it's quick, familiar and pretty nice to use.

Dark mode by default is an excellent addition and you can change the accent colour which adds nicely to the phones overall good customisation.

I have not used the finger print scanner but all reviews have said it is excellent and punching above its weight in performance.

So why have I decided to go back to the Passport?

Well, you already know the heart of the answer to that question, but a few unsettling things happened the my OP3 and I was the reminded how trusty and reliable my square faced friend was.

After three days of buttery smooth performance, the OP3 started to constantly show me a notification for an voicemail pending.
    On pressing the notification, my voicemail box would tell me that there were no messages in my mailbox.

This was constant for two-days and after being annoyed so much, I uninstalled all apps I thought might be giving me this problem.

This did not work.

Further to this, the OP3 started to crash and reboot. This first happened twice in a day to my knowledge, then about once an hour, then once every twenty or so minutes.

SO I reluctantly factory reset and wiped the phone (remember my transferral of SD card data?) Yeah :/

8 hours later, I thought the problem was solved...

It was not.

I now have the pleasure of sending back this faulty unit to OnePlus and have requested a full refund. I must say I will be sad to see the phone go. It is incredible value for money but obviously, not when it does not work.

Special mention goes out to the OP3 Dash fast charger.

It is an excellent feature and charges the handset from empty to 60% charge in 30 minutes.

Fast charging is on my list of must have features in my future phone purchases from now onwards. It's great not to have to leave your phone charging overnight anymore.

Simcard was popped back into Passport, booted up and vrooooooooom!

Just like an old Mark 1 Golf, the trusted tank arose from slumber ready to share this information with you guys.

So, my advice is, think very very carefully before jumping to an android alternative to the Passport .

Overall cost is always very high on my list of priorities, but quality products will always win out in the end.

Thanks for reading and have a productive and peaceful day.

keypad

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 03:57 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience, I have always said you have to get what's works best your needs.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-25-16 04:06 AM
    Thanks for the write up. Sorry you had a bad experience, though it seems like you liked a lot about the device. SD card is a nice feature to have. There is lots of choice out there and trying different devices helps individuals find the right device for them.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-25-16 06:32 AM
    Thanks for the write up. Sorry you had a bad experience, though it seems like you liked a lot about the device. SD card is a nice feature to have. There is lots of choice out there and trying different devices helps individuals find the right device for them.
    Thank-you for your message.

I'm really impressed with the midrange smartphones available on android at the moment.

Price wise, the value is incredible right now and the general wealth of choice Out there.

My concern is with quality of software and as always with android, updates to security and the latest version of Android.

Personally, I can't justify spending £500/£700 on a new smartphone from any company, so the midrange is where my focus is concentrated right now.

Android offers many options at the midrange price point, so for now, this is where my search continues going forward.

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    06-25-16 06:51 AM
    OPO is good with updates. I think even the One has Marshmallow now. Being unlocked helps too. Carriers just plain suck with updates.

You got a dud, it happens with all mass produced electronics. My lady's phone (Note 3) does all kinds of weird random crap. Repeats incoming text messages up to 10 times, randomly turns Bluetooth or WiFi off, just crazy. But she's stuck with it until we pay T-Mobile the balance of the phone later this summer. And on top of that it's running KitKat. it's easily powerful enough to run Marshmallow but that's never gonna happen. There's a lollipop "upgrade" for it but 10 minutes on the forums will tell you to avoid that like the plague.

BlackBerry and IOS are consistent, closed platforms and that's why I like them the best. In a perfect world, BlackBerry would have apps and iphones would be cheaper.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-25-16 07:41 AM
    Thank's for sharing your OP3 expérience.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 08:05 AM
    Thank-you for your message.

I'm really impressed with the midrange smartphones available on android at the moment.

Price wise, the value is incredible right now and the general wealth of choice Out there.

My concern is with quality of software and as always with android, updates to security and the latest version of Android.

Personally, I can't justify spending £500/£700 on a new smartphone from any company, so the midrange is where my focus is concentrated right now.

Android offers many options at the midrange price point, so for now, this is where my search continues going forward.

Posted via CB10
    I agree about midrange. I'm done spending top dollar on a smartphone. It's unnecessary in today's market.
    Sairos likes this.
    06-25-16 10:25 AM
    I agree about midrange. I'm done spending top dollar on a smartphone. It's unnecessary in today's market.
    Couple of years ago it was.. Now indeed its completely and utterly useless to spend on top range devices, thanks to our chinese disruptive friends xD..
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-25-16 10:59 AM
    Couple of years ago it was.. Now indeed its completely and utterly useless to spend on top range devices, thanks to our chinese disruptive friends xD..
    Agree.

Tell Blackberry that.
    06-25-16 11:11 AM
    I guess ColorOS is for oppo handsets, by default oneplus three comes with OxygenOS.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 02:21 PM
    OP did they not release an OS update to rectify this issue of random restarts, I thought I read it somewhere.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-25-16 02:33 PM
    I guess ColorOS is for oppo handsets, by default oneplus three comes with OxygenOS.

Posted via CB10
    Your absolutely correct, my mistake.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 02:59 PM
    OP did they not release an OS update to rectify this issue of random restarts, I thought I read it somewhere.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'm not to sure on that to be honest.

Due to the situation of not being able to return it to a store or through an easy route like amazon, I'm not keen on sending the unit back an forth with problems that may occur in the future and at my own cost.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 03:05 PM

Very Good review, Thanks for the Post.

Personally I think the OnePlus3 is excellent but the design is quite generic for me.. I just don't like it .. I've been looking at a lot of Mid-range devices so I'm going to PM you a good list to take a look at.. It's a BlackBerry forum so I don't want to discuss a lot of android devices here. (Unless its the priv & co.)
    06-25-16 03:08 PM
    Very Good review, Thanks for the Post.

Personally I think the OnePlus3 is excellent but the design is quite generic for me.. I just don't like it .. I've been looking at a lot of Mid-range devices so I'm going to PM you a good list to take a look at.. It's a BlackBerry forum so I don't want to discuss a lot of android devices here. (Unless its the priv & co.)
    Thank-you so much for your opinion and I look forward to reading your recommendations.

True, the design of the OnePlus 3 is a very 'safe' one.

I kinda like the fact that it's understated and only has the OnePlus logo branding on the back and is a blank slate on the front.

They copied a few different brands design languages and avoided blatant plagiarism by rolling them into one.

Maybe, that's why they called it OnePlus 3

Posted via CB10
    Sairos likes this.
    06-25-16 03:40 PM
    I did the same thing for the Priv when it came out.
    I lasted from AT&T launch day to the end of February.
    I went back to the passport for about a week or 2, then on a whim I snatched a LG V10.
    Honestly one of the best Android experiences thus far.
    It does everything well(android wise) except battery life.
    But, that's the bonus of LG phones removable/swap-able batteries like the good ole days of BlackBerry.
    I also just picked up a Classic just for $hits and giggles at a crazy low price.

I'd suggest giving it a whirl if you can find one in your price range.
    G4's are close to it, and they can be found for $200 or so
    06-25-16 10:36 PM
    (Out of curiosity can you manage droid app permissions on. An LG?)

Just switched back to BB10 from a droid. This is simply a higher quality product.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 10:43 PM
    Good real sharing experience. If Blackberry's Chen solved the Apps problem, many of us wouldn't ever think about ditch BB for a new droid; meanwhile in the real world, BB continues to left : unsolved apps issue, financial bleeding, no marketing and the threat of BB going out of business. I'll stick to my Classic for one or two years. if everything continues to be the same in the future, I had to jump to nexus, I hope not to
    Last edited by pstrusi; 06-26-16 at 07:31 AM.
    06-26-16 12:50 AM
    This is another good comparison thread. Thanks for sharing op.
    06-26-16 01:02 AM
    Cool story. Sad to hear about that particular OP3 unit you got, but at least the Passport will always be happy to welcome you back.. =)

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 08:26 AM
    Exactly my thoughts and situation.
    As the dooms day of BB WhatsApp is approaching i am in great fix for new cellphone purchase.
    Just 2 days back i purchased a Mi Redmi Note3_for my wife though she was using Nokia 808 bit outdated for todays needs_ and honestly i believe that spending over $300 in cellphone is just waste of hard earned money specially when shell life of any phone is just over 1.5 years no matter which brand we are buying and when most of us are forced to buy Android only.
    Though BB claims Security in Android but i believe it is a myth.
    BB just can not secure Android like BB10 and sadly BB is not ready to learn lessons from her past.
    Zero marketing and absence of proper PR is biggest reason of BB10 failure.
    Last edited by Fool Guy; 06-26-16 at 11:16 AM.
    06-26-16 10:05 AM
    (Out of curiosity can you manage droid app permissions on. An LG?)

Just switched back to BB10 from a droid. This is simply a higher quality product.

Posted via CB10
    As long as it has marshmallow 6.0 and up, yes you can
    07-04-16 02:03 PM
    Everybody do

Posted via Priv
    07-04-16 02:06 PM
    Agree.

Tell Blackberry that.
    It's Canadian. Move to China if you like inexpensive.

Wait a minute..... nobody is trying to move to China, and yet so many Chinese trying to immigrate here. Why is that? Maybe because inexpensive ain't all that glitters.

Enjoy your made in China phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-16 06:52 AM
    Agree!

Posted via Priv
    07-05-16 07:53 AM