On January 25 2012 Mike Lazaridis bought more than 3 million shares of RIM to signal his support of Thorsten Heins.

It cost him 53 million dollars. According to InvestorPoint he payed an average $15.50 per share.

It appears to have worked out well as Thorsten is voted Executive of the Year and Mike is ahead by roughly 7 million dollars.

From The Star newspaper:

Mike Lazaridis put his wallet where his heart was last week, buying up more than 3.1 million shares of Research In Motion.

The stock purchases came on Jan. 25, just three days after Lazaridis, along with his co-CEO Jim Balsillie, stepped down from the helm of the Waterloo company he founded more than two decades ago.

It came after a terrible year for the BlackBerry maker, where sales declined and the stock price plunged, amid missteps that included a severe worldwide service outage and the launch of the PlayBook tablet, which flopped badly among consumers.

While investors and analysts are speculating about RIM�s future and whether it can get its groove back, Lazaridis said he remains confident. That�s why he promised to buy �an additional $50 million of the company�s shares,� arguing that the new CEO Thorsten Heins will take the company to new heights.

According to insider filings, a numbered Ontario company controlled by Lazaridis bought more than 3 million RIM shares on Jan. 25, ranging in price from $15.12 to $16.48 in Canada as well as in the U.S., paying between $14.93 (U.S.) and $16.69 (U.S.).

That means Lazaridis now controls nearly 30 million shares of RIM stock.
    01-25-13 07:14 AM
    he was early, he missed some nice summer bargains
    01-25-13 07:28 AM
    If you listen carefully, you can hear ol' Mike chanting...... "Squeeze...Squeeze...Squeeze....."
    MoolahMitch and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-25-13 07:28 AM
    Guess he's up over 6 mil at the moment. Nice
    01-25-13 07:29 AM
    Prem Watsa is the biggest winner in this stock rally. That guy knows the right time when to invest.
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    01-25-13 07:29 AM
    Yup. Had he bought in @ $6 a share he would have trippled his return. Man I wish I would have waited. I bought in when they went under book value $21
    01-25-13 07:54 AM
    Same. But stubornness and confidence in rim didn't let me stop from averaging down the rabbit hole!
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-25-13 08:08 AM
    If he bought at $7 it would have been over 7 Million shares, and he would be at over $100 Million!!!

O well
    01-25-13 09:23 AM
    Prem Watsa is the biggest winner in this stock rally. That guy knows the right time when to invest.
    Your kidding, right? He bought many of his shares at $40+, I don't think he back to even yet. I forget the exact numbers but I think he needs to be in the $20.'s just to get back to even.
    01-25-13 09:51 AM
    Your kidding, right? He bought many of his shares at $40+, I don't think he back to even yet. I forget the exact numbers but I think he needs to be in the $20.'s just to get back to even.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...le-rim-764158/
    leafs123 likes this.
    01-25-13 10:03 AM
    He bought half of his shares at somewhere between $6 and $8 and the first half was much lower than $40. He is in the money now.
    01-25-13 10:04 AM
    He bought half of his shares at somewhere between $6 and $8 and the first half was much lower than $40. He is in the money now.
    Not true at all as far as his early purchases. Based on his own Quarterly filings, his first 2.1 M shares were bought between $40-60 and his next 6.3M shares were bought at between $30-50. No real way to know when in each quarter he bought so that is the reason for the rough range. he also bought another 4.2M between $20-30 and 12 million somewhere between $15-18 roughly today's price. his last 26M were 6-8. If you average it out, he is probably up now.

My original response was to a post that Watsa "knows the right time to invest." He does, in general, and is very successful, but clearly he was way too early on RIMM. At one point before he second double down he was out $400-500M, now i looks like he might be up $50M or so. Not chump change that is for sure.
    01-25-13 10:46 AM
    We're all day dreaming. If only if only...
    01-25-13 10:52 AM
    And he should pay every cent back to those that lost their jobs and those that lost their investments during the time he sat on his backside doing nothing, thus allowing RIM to fall into the hole it now finds itself in

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    01-25-13 10:55 AM
    And he should pay every cent back to those that lost their jobs and those that lost their investments during the time he sat on his backside doing nothing, thus allowing RIM to fall into the hole it now finds itself in

Tim

You obviously have a crystal-clear, unbiased view of every step he made...
    01-25-13 11:20 AM

Tim

Those people wouldnt have had that job or the ability to invest in that company if not for him. The argument is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Mike and Jim took a company from nothing to worth many billions of dollars... It peaked way above that, but when they had left they were still WAY up.
    anon(1152406) likes this.
    01-25-13 11:35 AM
    I think it must be very gratifying for him to see his company bounce back from the assault of these last 2 years. I don't think he feels redeemed as he's probably never felt wronged or whatnot. CEO's have to have a thick skin.

Regardless my hats off to Lazaridis for at least putting "the first shovel in", if not leading the way to the current release of BB10.
    01-25-13 11:44 AM

Tim

No, actually, they have moronic VPs and Directors who hired ridiculous amounts of people and put them into redundant positions to thank for that.
    01-25-13 11:49 AM
    I think it must be very gratifying for him to see his company bounce back from the assault of these last 2 years. I don't think he feels redeemed as he's probably never felt wronged or whatnot. CEO's have to have a thick skin.

Regardless my hats off to Lazaridis for at least putting "the first shovel in", if not leading the way to the current release of BB10.
    Mike and Jim wrote this symphony, Thor just stepped in as the maestro leading the orchestra.

What beautiful music they've made
    anon(1152406) and cjcampbell like this.
    01-25-13 11:53 AM
    Mike and Jim wrote this symphony, Thor just stepped in as the maestro leading the orchestra.

^^ This. Exactly.
    01-25-13 12:38 PM

The music hasn't stopped yet, we don't know its denouement. (with apologies to SF )
    01-25-13 12:38 PM

Tim

So he should pay for starting a company that employed people (regardless of how high it got), created billions in capital, donated hundreds of millions to better his community ... because he didn't have your apparently magic foresight? Man - once you create a billion dollar company and give back to the community like that, then you can speak.
    01-25-13 02:30 PM
    So he should pay for starting a company that employed people (regardless of how high it got), created billions in capital, donated hundreds of millions to better his community ... because he didn't have your apparently magic foresight? Man - once you create a billion dollar company and give back to the community like that, then you can speak.
    Yep,,he didn't think phones should have cameras or music players. That the IPhone was a fad.

This guy would not give you the time of day. A supreme snob that never lowered himself to attend employee events.
    He stomped off TV shows if he didn't get his way.

Yes, he did something no one else did. But when others did he did nothing. RIM was stuck in time. They will never be a dominate as they once did Period.

As a consumer and stockholder you had better think I have the right to speak!!

Thor at least allows himself to talk to the common man. To be reachable.

Tim

Last edited by trsbbs; 01-25-13 at 04:18 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    01-25-13 03:53 PM
    Haha, got burned with your bets. That explains a lot...
    01-25-13 05:35 PM
    Yep,,he didn't think phones should have cameras or music players. That the IPhone was a fad.

This guy would not give you the time of day. A supreme snob that never lowered himself to attend employee events.
    He stomped off TV shows if he didn't get his way.

Yes, he did something no one else did. But when others did he did nothing. RIM was stuck in time. They will never be a dominate as they once did Period.

As a consumer and stockholder you had better think I have the right to speak!!

Thor at least allows himself to talk to the common man. To be reachable.

Tim

You've got some odd sense of logic by these last two posts of yours.
    01-25-13 05:45 PM
28 12