This is a little disturbing to say the least, but it's another good reason for keeping
    your Blackberry.

In this article it says that the IPhone is keeping a record of your location
    24/7 and storing it on the phone.
    It also says that Apple has the right to share this information with its partners.

While most of us do not have anything to hide, it seems very odd that IPhone users
    are not able to shut this off and that the information is transferred to a new phone.

Folks raise heck when they find an application doing this. Should they also be consistent and raise heck about this?

iPhone keeps record of everywhere you go | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Tim
    04-20-11 11:13 AM
    As I am a blackberry user and fan, I feel all companies do this in some manner, but only a few can caught. The problem with Apple products imo, is that people will buy/use them no matter what (ex: iPhone 4 antenna issue). People continue to buy even though it's known that it has a design flaw. Apple could put in fine print "we reserve the right to acquire your first born if you purchase our product" and everyone would just accept it, while RIM has to deal with legal issues in certain countries because their devices are too secure. What a pity!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 11:52 AM
    This is just crazy.

04-20-11 12:22 PM
    This is a little disturbing to say the least, but it's another good reason for keeping
    your Blackberry.

It also says that Apple has the right to share this information with its partners.

While most of us do not have anything to hide, it seems very odd that IPhone users
    are not able to shut this off and that the information is transferred to a new phone.

Folks raise heck when they find an application doing this. Should they also be consistent and raise heck about this?

Tim

I believe app's have been tapping into this for a long time,
    a friend of mine has an Apple App that notices when you are close to a chain store that has registered with her app, like Banana republic, and anytime you are within X miles you get a pushed notification telling you about the specials and where the store is, it also keeps track of the stores you go into so she can approach those stores to offer them advertising within her app
    04-20-11 12:27 PM
    Apps have been doing this for a while now. I can honestly care less at this point unless someone is plotting to kill everyone who uses an iPhone.

If someone wants to know where you are, they will always find a way anyways. Just owning a cellphone gives away your position.
    04-20-11 01:58 PM
    As I am a blackberry user and fan, I feel all companies do this in some manner, but only a few can caught. The problem with Apple products imo, is that people will buy/use them no matter what (ex: iPhone 4 antenna issue). People continue to buy even though it's known that it has a design flaw. Apple could put in fine print "we reserve the right to acquire your first born if you purchase our product" and everyone would just accept it, while RIM has to deal with legal issues in certain countries because their devices are too secure. What a pity!

That's a pretty funny commnent, but I wouldn't say its true. A lot of phones have problems, no matter who the manufacturer is, and people still buy them. Just like apple, even blackberries have their problems and so many people complain about them but still love them at the same time. I was a blackberry fan and user for many years and constantly had problems, but I simply loved the phones and Verizon always helped me. I bought the iPhone because I heard good reviews, it does what I want it to and because a friend of mine had it and had no issues. I was a blackberry user and fan for 5+ years and was sad to let it go, but I felt it was time for a change. Not because I felt the need to buy it because it's the thing to do nor because of the "fine print". Very nice constructed criticism though lol.
    04-20-11 04:04 PM
    Your smartphone is tracking you, and you said it was okay | BGR

This is from BGR, and he says every smartphone is tracking you.

From RIM’s License Agreement:
    In addition to other personal information described in this Agreement, when You use Your Handheld Product or enable data services or location-based functionality, Handheld Product location information (including, without limitation, GPS information, carrier ID, tower ID and signal strength of visible WiFi or cell towers) may be communicated to RIM Group of Companies. RIM Group of Companies may use such information to provide You with locationbased services, including, without limitation, services facilitating the sharing of Your Handheld Product location information with other persons, including without limitation, Third Party Services used with Your BlackBerry Solution. You should give due consideration before agreeing to have Your personal information disclosed to other persons. We may also use such information to create data in which Your personal information has been aggregated or made anonymous, and may use it to provide location-sensitive advertising.
    Quote taken from link that I gave.

Didn't read Apple's fully, but I know for sure our personal information is at least made anonymous.
    Last edited by McStoner; 04-20-11 at 04:29 PM.
    04-20-11 04:26 PM
    Frightening? Certainly. Surprising? Sadly, not so much. This is a very good reason to stay away from the iPhone in favor of a Blackberry however, my #1reason is and always will be the Blackberry's superior keyboard . And BBM, of course

04-21-11 03:09 AM
    What is more frightening is that it also gets transferred to your computer and even more frightening, to a new device. Continuous monitoring. I wonder if apps tap into that file already.

04-21-11 03:13 AM
    an Apple App that notices when you are close to a chain store that has registered with her app, like Banana republic, and anytime you are within X miles you get a pushed notification telling you about the specials and where the store is
    The app you're talking about might be slightly different and maybe GPS-based with a wider geographic footprint, but it's basically one of the uses of Near Field Communication (NFC) technology -- allowing location-based advertising to significantly increase the relevancy of the ad and/or offer.

NFC also drives the "Mobile Wallet" concept that allows smartphones to pay for things at retailers with the right Point Of Sale equipment. US consumers, retailers and restaurants lag behind the rest of the world in adopting NFC and the Mobile Wallet, but RIM says it's getting into the NFC game in a much bigger way in 2011:
    RIM Aggressively Pursuing NFC in 2011 BlackBerry Devices, Mobile Payments for U.S. on the Horizon?

One of the quotes from the article is this: The potential for NFC is enormous, including quick share of information between two devices to mobile payment, but the apps, commerce ecosystem, and adoption must be in place for users to find ubiquitous use and be comfortable in abandoning their wallets and carry a single, unified digital device that will serve as their communications means and as a method to initiate and complete transactions.

To me, the Mobile Wallet concept is fascinating and appealing but the location-based ads are a bit too creepy and Big Brother-ish.
    04-21-11 07:50 AM
    The news article this morning also stated its on ipods and ipads as well, not limited to just iphones.
    04-21-11 08:37 AM
    I believe app's have been tapping into this for a long time,
    a friend of mine has an Apple App that notices when you are close to a chain store that has registered with her app, like Banana republic, and anytime you are within X miles you get a pushed notification telling you about the specials and where the store is, it also keeps track of the stores you go into so she can approach those stores to offer them advertising within her app
    But the fact that it store the info is kinda creepy.

Then again gmail openly does this..
    04-21-11 08:48 AM
    Big brother is watching you from that front facing camera.
    04-21-11 08:58 AM
    There's more to this than just the fact that it's happening. It's also how it's done in this case. Cnet has a more in depth article about it.

While such info has been collected for some time - most of it is more or less "anonymous". More specific detail about "you" is collected by your carrier and requires a court order to get at. This is a bit more than when you "check in" someplace so your Facebook friends can know your whereabouts.

In the iPhone's case, an unencrypted file holds all this running info. It's logged through tower triangulation and not by GPS, so it can't be disabled. The file is transferred to the PC during an iTunes backup, and unencrypted there as well - unless you toggle the encryption option. And I doubt most iPhone users know about that option.

The guys that discovered it wrote a program to map the info from the file. Freely available, they did make it rough so it can't be misused down to the level of detail that the file really gets down to.

That doesn't mean that another more detailed program can't be made at some point - if not already.

A lot of people do things and go places they probably shouldn't be doing or going to. Now, anyone else with access to someone's iPhone or computer with the last backup - even a work PC (think about all those companies now switching to iPhones), can find out where that person has been and how long they've been there - all without any court order.

04-21-11 10:34 AM
    There's more to this than just the fact that it's happening. It's also how it's done in this case. Cnet has a more in depth article about it.

While such info has been collected for some time - most of it is more or less "anonymous". More specific detail about "you" is collected by your carrier and requires a court order to get at. This is a bit more than when you "check in" someplace so your Facebook friends can know your whereabouts.

In the iPhone's case, an unencrypted file holds all this running info. It's logged through tower triangulation and not by GPS, so it can't be disabled. The file is transferred to the PC during an iTunes backup, and unencrypted there as well - unless you toggle the encryption option. And I doubt most iPhone users know about that option.

The guys that discovered it wrote a program to map the info from the file. Freely available, they did make it rough so it can't be misused down to the level of detail that the file really gets down to.

That doesn't mean that another more detailed program can't be made at some point - if not already.

A lot of people do things and go places they probably shouldn't be doing or going to. Now, anyone else with access to someone's iPhone or computer with the last backup - even a work PC (think about all those companies now switching to iPhones), can find out where that person has been and how long they've been there - all without any court order.
    Jeesh, if everything you just typed is true then it's another big blow to personal privacy and anonymity. It's incredible to me what we're all incrementally sacrificing to gain the offsetting benefits of technology.
    04-21-11 10:57 AM
    By the way, did anybody notice that blackberry OS6 gives you the option to disable this? It's called location data and there's the option to disable it.

04-21-11 11:23 AM
    By the way, did anybody notice that blackberry OS6 gives you the option to disable this? It's called location data and there's the option to disable it.

That just turns the GPS radio off. You can do the same on the iPhone. But this tracking info doesn't come from the GPS. That's the issue with the iPhone. And iPads and iPods that run at least iOS 4.

04-21-11 01:28 PM
    I heard it uses cell tower triangulation from what I read on CNN.
    04-21-11 02:41 PM
    This is the setting I'm talking about, not the gps on/off
    04-21-11 03:23 PM
    Your blank image is awesome belfast.
    04-21-11 03:27 PM
    your Blackberry.

Tim
    That's NOT a good enough reason to use a Blackberry over iPhone. Better hardware, OS and functionality are better reasons to use an iPhone over Blackberry.
    04-21-11 03:30 PM
    Here it is lol
    04-21-11 03:30 PM
    This iPhone Tracking you stuff just hit CNN.com's home page. I suspect this is just the beginning of what will become a very interesting story, maybe even with some far reaching implications and results for the mobile industry . . . and hopefully for privacy advocates.
    iPhone tracking: What you need to know - CNN.com
    04-21-11 04:51 PM
    Dumbass iPhone!

04-21-11 06:00 PM
    Big brother is watching you from that front facing camera.
    Again? Wait. . .I have an older brother?

Jokes aside haven't devices in general been keeping taps on our location for awhile now? If it's that big of a problem you can always rid yourself of all those wonderful toys.
    04-21-11 07:10 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD