However, one trend is simply to equip cars with a large touchscreen head-end unit that communicates with BYOD. Smartphones today have all the necessary computing power necessary, why duplicate it on in-dash units? Just give access to the smartphone capabilities with an easy-to-see, easy-to-use, in-dash touchscreen.
    I think I posted this earlier, but that is exactly what is talked about here:

In Four Years, Most Cars Will Work With Smart Phones - Forbes
    You're focusing on present day. I'm thinking about the future. There could be some un-thought of innovation out there that makes in car nav units more than what they are today. And with that, having a phone made by the same company that makes the nav unit could yield greater functionality than what would be available to third party phone makers.
    08-11-12 06:48 PM
    You're focusing on present day. I'm thinking about the future. There could be some un-thought of innovation out there that makes in car nav units more than what they are today. And with that, having a phone made by the same company that makes the nav unit could yield greater functionality than what would be available to third party phone makers.
    If RIM built the actual car, you might have a point, but a car manufacturer wouldn't alienate potential customers by telling them that they have to have a certain phone to use the entertainment system.
    08-11-12 07:11 PM
    If RIM built the actual car, you might have a point, but a car manufacturer wouldn't alienate potential customers by telling them that they have to have a certain phone to use the entertainment system.
    Yes, here's a look at what a large manufacturer like Honda is doing:
    2013 Honda Accord To Offer HondaLink Smartphone Connectivity
    08-12-12 06:54 AM
    Funny you say this...

I was at my cousins place today and he was showing me the iDrive unit in his BMW. He was saying how if he had a Blackberry the unit would be able to read all his emails back to him, but since he has an iPhone, the functionality between the phone and head unit is limited to playing music only.
    08-12-12 07:09 PM
    Funny you say this...

I was at my cousins place today and he was showing me the iDrive unit in his BMW. He was saying how if he had a Blackberry the unit would be able to read all his emails back to him, but since he has an iPhone, the functionality between the phone and head unit is limited to playing music only.
    You get the iPhone BMW office integration with IOS6

iPhone iOS6 Integrates with BMW Office (iDrive Email & Text Message) via Bluetooth! - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

The other functions that are currently available are highlighted here, and definitely NOT limited to playing music, at least not in recent implementations:

BMW ConnectedDrive: Videos
    08-12-12 08:22 PM
    RIM builds the software already. The software in the Spark you are so excited about is called QNX Car II and it very similar to BB10. It can pair to most phones already and no, the phone OS is not doing the heavy lifting, it is the car OS doing the work.
    08-13-12 12:04 AM
    RIM builds the software already. The software in the Spark you are so excited about is called QNX Car II and it very similar to BB10. It can pair to most phones already and no, the phone OS is not doing the heavy lifting, it is the car OS doing the work.
    Not quite sure what your point is, the poster you were referencing simply said neither GM nor QNX would be so daft as to exclude other smartphones.

Sure enough:

"The Spark’s MyLink Radio functions as an extension of the owner’s Android, BlackBerry or iPhone smartphone. MyLink also supports phones with the Symbian operating system from Nokia and phones with the Windows Mobile operating system from Microsoft."
    Last edited by cynicalreader; 08-13-12 at 06:35 AM.
    08-13-12 06:27 AM
    RIM would benefit from partnering with any large electronics manufacturing firm, not just smartphone leaders.

LG produces a range of smart appliances just like Samsung.

I'm sure IBM wouldn't mind an ultrasecure, low power, wireless point of sale solution to bring to market either.

It's not just about smartphones.
    08-13-12 06:53 AM
    Device to device communication = RIM and Samsung having a solid future working together.
    08-13-12 05:34 PM
    Device to device communication = RIM and Samsung having a solid future working together.
    ummm, I don't think it is Samsung:

Samsung says not considering buying RIM or BlackBerry licence | Reuters
    08-13-12 09:53 PM
    RIM really needs a life line... samsung could also benefit a lot!
    08-14-12 06:57 AM
    so whats does this all mean as far as the future of BB own devices? I mean after we see the first 2 devices to hit the market then can we expect anymore from BB or would we see devices from a certain manufacture offering BB10 or another OS your choice.
    08-14-12 10:07 AM
    BB10 is bigger than Smartphones and Tablets. Beyond their initial device release, think "smart-er" appliances more connected (embedded) computer systems all talking with one another. LG or Sony are far more likely to license than Samsung whose too deep in bed with Google to completely pull away at this point.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-14-12 01:23 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD