Do you guys and girls think that BB10 will be buttery smooth like Android project butter or iOS smoothness?

Not being a pessimist or anything, but I doubt BB will ever approach the smoothness of those two operating systems. I do hope so, and BB10 might turn out to be as smooth, but I wouldn't begrudge it if it doesn't. That's because I have never used BBs to appreciate the smoothness of the operating system. Never did and never will.
    07-07-12 12:21 AM
    I am toying with different holding methods trying to master comfortably reaching

I CAN do it but not comfortably nor quickly

I did a typing test that I reported on in another thread, though my speed has increased, when doing a comparison of 10 emails reading and replying when they are alternating requiring me to get back to the inbox between each email I accomplish the task with my iPhone in 27 minutes, with the BlackBerry I accomplish it in 18 minutes, I've improved my iPhone typing speed, and use of double tap, but it is the little things like all the extra screen clicks, and I can't type with my index finger no matter how hard I try I can't get used to it.

I'm a stubborn person I am determined to at least be functional with this piece of crap even if it has cost me some money because of lost opportunities.
    You should also factor in the time it takes for you to reboot your phone each time you install an application. And I don't know how your experience has been but the three BlackBerrys I own required a reboot at least once a week. I don't have to worry about either with my iPhone 4.
    07-07-12 12:32 AM
    Do you guys and girls think that BB10 will be buttery smooth like Android project butter or iOS smoothness?
    I can't predict the future, however, I recently installed jelly bean android 4.1 on my Samsung galaxy Nexus and I can tell you it is quite nice. It's getting close to iOS, it's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.

Judging by the playbook, I think the smoothness in BB 10 will be right behind jelly bean android 4.1.
    07-07-12 12:38 AM
    You should also factor in the time it takes for you to reboot your phone each time you install an application. And I don't know how your experience has been but the three BlackBerrys I own required a reboot at least once a week. I don't have to worry about either with my iPhone 4.
    You don't have to reboot after you install an application, you never had. You have to reboot after an update to an application or when you delete an application. And you don't have to do it after each one, update 5 applications, delete another 5 and reboot only once.
    07-07-12 02:03 AM
    Not being a pessimist or anything, but I doubt BB will ever approach the smoothness of those two operating systems. I do hope so, and BB10 might turn out to be as smooth, but I wouldn't begrudge it if it doesn't. That's because I have never used BBs to appreciate the smoothness of they're operating system. Never did and never will.
    My Bold is certainly smoother than my Droid RAZR when it comes to rendering lots of SMS text on screen. And pinch to zoom on photos. I see "loading..." on the razr lots of times. It hesitates when rapidly zooming on photos. Some crap Moto has on the device since my co worker has an LG that is smooth. Point being this is the stock OS that 98% of users will never mod or replace.

The playbook is a lot more fluid to me for example. So i think RIM is already there in the aspect of "smoothness" of the interface.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-07-12 07:55 AM
    I have 9 apps installed

even rebooting once a week, which is more than I have to reboot doesn't make up for the lost time during business hours dealing with my current touchscreen frustrations.

Those I know who do install apps, generally do so off work hours whilst playing so a reboot doesn't matter if they lose 90-120 seconds
    07-07-12 09:05 AM
    Not being a pessimist or anything, but I doubt BB will ever approach the smoothness of those two operating systems. I do hope so, and BB10 might turn out to be as smooth, but I wouldn't begrudge it if it doesn't. That's because I have never used BBs to appreciate the smoothness of the operating system. Never did and never will.
    After using the devAlpha it makes the PlayBook seem jittery, and the PlayBook OS is about the same as an Android OS on a NON premium Android device,

I suspect that BB10 will be easily on par with iOS, and JellyBean, I find iOS has odd jitters in the phone application, and is clumsy for app switching compared to WebOS, and PlayBook methods, so the "buttery smoothness" surely will be there as "FLOW" and seemless transitioning are focuses of RIM for BB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-07-12 09:17 AM
    Interesting concept. I still think the BB is best for single handed use. Case in point, friend has terminal brain cancer and then promptly had a stroke rendering her right arm unusable. Now she has to manipulate her Samsung touchscreen android device with a compromised non dominant left hand. Not possible for her to hold and touch one handed. I gave her my 9780 to use until I can convince Telus to swap out her 6 month old android for a used/or demo model berry. No love coming from them and she is fully able communicate using my bold. So no matter how fat the program could make your thumb, only BlackBerry can help. Just saying. I am also on the lookout for a reasonably priced 2nd hand 9900, then I can let her keep the 9780 and I will buy myself a used 9900.
    07-07-12 10:33 AM
    Interesting concept. I still think the BB is best for single handed use. Case in point, friend has terminal brain cancer and then promptly had a stroke rendering her right arm unusable. Now she has to manipulate her Samsung touchscreen android device with a compromised non dominant left hand. Not possible for her to hold and touch one handed. I gave her my 9780 to use until I can convince Telus to swap out her 6 month old android for a used/or demo model berry. No love coming from them and she is fully able communicate using my bold. So no matter how fat the program could make your thumb, only BlackBerry can help. Just saying. I am also on the lookout for a reasonably priced 2nd hand 9900, then I can let her keep the 9780 and I will buy myself a used 9900.
    Write a letter to RIM or post on one of their social networks pages, they've helped people before.
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    07-07-12 10:39 AM
    I am toying with different holding methods trying to master comfortably reaching

I CAN do it but not comfortably nor quickly

I did a typing test that I reported on in another thread, though my speed has increased, when doing a comparison of 10 emails reading and replying when they are alternating requiring me to get back to the inbox between each email I accomplish the task with my iPhone in 27 minutes, with the BlackBerry I accomplish it in 18 minutes, I've improved my iPhone typing speed, and use of double tap, but it is the little things like all the extra screen clicks, and I can't type with my index finger no matter how hard I try I can't get used to it.

I'm a stubborn person I am determined to at least be functional with this piece of crap even if it has cost me some money because of lost opportunities.
    Have you thought of selling it?

Also, I don't know about your carrier, but mine gives me 15 days to try a device before I can return it. Why, I'm curious, do you continue to use a phone you consider crap and when you seem to hate typing on a touch screen and it makes you less productive?

Again, just curious.
    07-07-12 10:46 AM
    Have you thought of selling it?

Also, I don't know about your carrier, but mine gives me 15 days to try a device before I can return it. Why, I'm curious, do you continue to use a phone you consider crap and when you seem to hate typing on a touch screen and it makes you less productive?

Again, just curious.

I moved to a new company, and they figured that giving iPhones/iPads was a "perk"
    so my company phone is now an iPhone, my personal ones are BlackBerry's

I will MOST likely be getting rid of the iPhone after a couple of months, but I am determined to learn everything I can about it, and try and make it usable, I have to appreciate the iPhone for how much more it made me love BBOS7, I can say I'm not as impatiently waiting for BB10 now as I've found a new love for all that BBOS7 does that the iPhone is terrible at.

I can't very well continue to claim that the BlackBerry is the best tool for me if I don't examine other tools from time to time.
    I'd be as ridiculous as the posters who's last device was a device launched with OS5 comparing it to the iPhone4S or SG3 for functions.
    Also 15 days just isn't long enough to give a fair trial you need to type a minimum of 10,000 words to give a fair keyboard assessment, heck I waited 15 days before I even let anyone on CB know I had an iPhone, because that first week I would have been a viciously negative poster about the iPhone, I'm less vicious now that I've learned and spent many hours trying to find solutions to annoyances.
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-07-12 at 10:57 AM.
    07-07-12 10:55 AM
    I moved to a new company, and they figured that giving iPhones/iPads was a "perk"

I will MOST likely be getting rid of the iPhone after a couple of months, but I am determined to learn everything I can about it, and try and make it usable, I have to appreciate the iPhone for how much more it made me love BBOS7, I can say I'm not as impatiently waiting for BB10 now as I've found a new love for all that BBOS7 does that the iPhone is terrible at.

I can't very well continue to claim that the BlackBerry is the best tool for me if I don't examine other tools from time to time.
    I'd be as ridiculous as the posters who's last device was a device launched with OS5 comparing it to the iPhone4S or SG3 for functions.
    Also 15 days just isn't long enough to give a fair trial you need to type a minimum of 10,000 words to give a fair keyboard assessment, heck I waited 15 days before I even let anyone on CB know I had an iPhone, because that first week I would have been a viciously negative poster about the iPhone, I'm less vicious now that I've learned and spent many hours trying to find solutions to annoyances.
    Well that sucks. They tried a new system where I work too once. We all told them how crappy it was and they soon went back to the old way.
    07-07-12 11:20 AM

Common sense. Refreshing...
    07-07-12 11:22 AM
    Well that sucks. They tried a new system where I work too once. We all told them how crappy it was and they soon went back to the old way.

Only 2 of us have iPhones, myself and the other new hire, the other new hire was an ALL Apple guy at home, and his previous company BlackBerry he didn't know half the things it could do so he likes having an iPhone.

These guys are great, IT actually hates the iPhones but the company is all about employee's having an input which is why I'm most likely getting a new phone in a month or so, When someone elses upgrade comes up, I'll take their new BlackBerry, and they can run this iPhone as they'll be office workers.
    07-07-12 11:25 AM
    My Bold is certainly smoother than my Droid RAZR when it comes to rendering lots of SMS text on screen. And pinch to zoom on photos. I see "loading..." on the razr lots of times. It hesitates when rapidly zooming on photos. Some crap Moto has on the device since my co worker has an LG that is smooth. Point being this is the stock OS that 98% of users will never mod or replace.

The playbook is a lot more fluid to me for example. So i think RIM is already there in the aspect of "smoothness" of the interface.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    I disagree, I think Browsing has got a little ways to go on Blackberries yet. But in some use cases the Blackberry Bold 9900 does have the advantage over the other operating systems' flagships, but not many, at least from my own usage experiences.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 07-07-12 at 02:08 PM.
    07-07-12 01:43 PM
    Write a letter to RIM or post on one of their social networks pages, they've helped people before.

Do you happen to know a web page or email address that I could use to contact them? Each time I try to contact them, the email comes back saying it wasn't sent and to direct it to the appropriate department. Thanks for the suggestion. cheers
    07-07-12 03:58 PM
    I disagree, I think Browsing has got a little ways to go on Blackberries yet. But in some use cases the Blackberry Bold 9900 does have the advantage over the other operating systems' flagships, but not many, at least from my own usage experiences.
    Yeah I do not recall mentioning the browser -- which I suppose is what you mean. Yes I will admit the one on Android is probably a bit better than the one on BB OS 7.

I just found it a little odd that I bought this high end Android device to try with a stock OS and it is not really all that refined in some basic features. I mostly like it though. Overall. But it does make me appreciate how good BlackBerrys are at some very basic functions, even with the "old" OS.
    07-08-12 12:55 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD