I operate my Galaxy Nexus with one hand mostly. 4.5inch screen. I can pinch to zoom, copy and paste, reach the top, bottom, left and right side of my device with my thumb.

I prefer typing with two hands though. That goes for ANY smartphone.
    07-06-12 05:15 PM
    Then what will you do if one of your hands are full and you need to text someone urgent? Just askin
    Pull up Google Now, Say "Google", wait .1 seconds for the chime, say "text insertname here insertmessagehere" then press send.

Voice recognition is instant. No need for online. It dictates the word immediately after you say it.
    pantlesspenguin and Speedygi like this.
    07-06-12 05:18 PM
    Typing with one hand, FOR ME, isn't nearly as difficult as this video is trying to make it seem. Maybe because i've been doing it on and off for a few years now.

But, it does look like a good ideal.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-06-12 05:29 PM
    This FatThumb doesn't fix any of my touchscreen problems with 1 handed use

my Problems are the stupid positioning of things on the screen like my iPhone has the back to inbox arrow a the very top left hand corner, and the compose message icon at the very bottom right corner I have yet to find a position to hold the device where I can comfortably hit both spots without adjusting the phone

I'm not a death gripper, but I can't just balance the phone gently on my finger bed either since I am not in control of who can bump into me while navigating a crowd and getting my emails answered.

even with tools like this I still can not see how people can remain productive with a full touchscreen phone as they can with a qwerty device unless they are stationary doing so. Even with Black clocks my 9790 gets more done, faster than my iPhone 4S, largely in part because of keyboard shortcuts, and touchpad navigation
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    07-06-12 06:06 PM
    Nice tech
    07-06-12 06:16 PM
    Exactly why I cant leave Blackberry because of the ability to navigate with one hand using the trackpad and nav keys:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ualled-734014/

But if fat thumb is on OS10 that might work out well, other than for precision cursor placement in text fields.....
    still need trackpad to avoid pinch zooming, which, fat thumb or not - is an extra unnecessary step, when a trackpad allows you to simply and easily move over a space.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting stuff.
    07-06-12 07:23 PM

my Problems are the stupid positioning of things on the screen like my iPhone has the back to inbox arrow a the very top left hand corner, and the compose message icon at the very bottom right corner I have yet to find a position to hold the device where I can comfortably hit both spots without adjusting the phone

I'm not a death gripper, but I can't just balance the phone gently on my finger bed either since I am not in control of who can bump into me while navigating a crowd and getting my emails answered.

even with tools like this I still can not see how people can remain productive with a full touchscreen phone as they can with a qwerty device unless they are stationary doing so. Even with Black clocks my 9790 gets more done, faster than my iPhone 4S, largely in part because of keyboard shortcuts, and touchpad navigation
    LOL... most Blackberry purists won't be able to.
    07-06-12 08:10 PM
    LOL... most Blackberry purists won't be able to.
    I have been trying my hardest to find ways,

looking up every little hidden shortcut but 9 out of 10 times I have to stop walking to get stuff done on my touchscreen device,

I think I can blame most of the problems on how unbelievably stupid iOS is when it comes to productivity. but the interface itself is a challenge,
    I was going to pick up the SG3 until I found I'd be paying an arm and a leg every month to have it as a test phone.

but I still can't see how having all the navigation at the bottom of a really long device is easy and convenient to use when you have to interact with the entire screen.
    07-06-12 08:16 PM
    but I still can't see how having all the navigation at the bottom of a really long device is easy and convenient to use when you have to interact with the entire screen.
    Like I mentioned above, I can reach everywhere on my screen with just a thumb. My hands aren't big either. I pinch to zoom with my pointer and thumb while holding the phone with my middle, ring and pinky. I haven't had a problem with the grip either.

I know it's a good method because I am able to walk down the cluttered streets on New York while doing this and have never dropped it.
    07-06-12 08:19 PM

I really think it all depends on what one is used to. A couple days after I had my 9930, I was in a situation where I had to walk quickly and type out a message. I was actually making more typos on the 9930 than I had been making on the Rezound in the exact same situation. I actually had to stop, type out the message, and then keep walking.

It's been about 13 months since I've had a daily driver with a touchpad, the last being the MyTouch 4G. I've found that with a large enough touch screen, I can simply tap the link or tap the cursor to where I need it to go using the edge of my thumb.

*disclaimer* These situations were also using both hands, which is how I typically operate my devices.
    07-06-12 08:22 PM
    Yes... my biggest test before changing platforms was the ability to use my touch device in a similar way to the way I used the BlackBerry. I had to be able to use the device one-handed to make it work. Baby in one hand, device in the other!
    07-06-12 08:31 PM
    Like I mentioned above, I can reach everywhere on my screen with just a thumb. My hands aren't big either. I pinch to zoom with my pointer and thumb while holding the phone with my middle, ring and pinky. I haven't had a problem with the grip either.

I know it's a good method because I am able to walk down the cluttered streets on New York while doing this and have never dropped it.

I am toying with different holding methods trying to master comfortably reaching

I CAN do it but not comfortably nor quickly

I did a typing test that I reported on in another thread, though my speed has increased, when doing a comparison of 10 emails reading and replying when they are alternating requiring me to get back to the inbox between each email I accomplish the task with my iPhone in 27 minutes, with the BlackBerry I accomplish it in 18 minutes, I've improved my iPhone typing speed, and use of double tap, but it is the little things like all the extra screen clicks, and I can't type with my index finger no matter how hard I try I can't get used to it.

I'm a stubborn person I am determined to at least be functional with this piece of crap even if it has cost me some money because of lost opportunities.
    07-06-12 08:48 PM
    I really think it all depends on what one is used to. A couple days after I had my 9930, I was in a situation where I had to walk quickly and type out a message. I was actually making more typos on the 9930 than I had been making on the Rezound in the exact same situation. I actually had to stop, type out the message, and then keep walking.

It's been about 13 months since I've had a daily driver with a touchpad, the last being the MyTouch 4G. I've found that with a large enough touch screen, I can simply tap the link or tap the cursor to where I need it to go using the edge of my thumb.

*disclaimer* These situations were also using both hands, which is how I typically operate my devices.
    it certainly is a what you are used to,
    though I change my qwerty devices all the time, and don't really see changes, it is just when I move to touchscreen, I used to be 2 different BB keyboard user, having 1 curve and 1 bold daily so it wasn't completely being device memory as shape and size were very different, it was just how easy it was to feel keys.
    I can't see myself being able to do that with 2 touchscreens yet, but I'll probably try soon
    07-06-12 08:51 PM
    It'll be another detail to set BB10 apart from the pack. . .(unless they already have something so revolutionary but just under wraps. . .) either way i'd love to see something so different yet useful like this on BB10. . .
    07-06-12 08:54 PM
    it certainly is a what you are used to,
    though I change my qwerty devices all the time, and don't really see changes, it is just when I move to touchscreen, I used to be 2 different BB keyboard user, having 1 curve and 1 bold daily so it wasn't completely being device memory as shape and size were very different, it was just how easy it was to feel keys.
    I can't see myself being able to do that with 2 touchscreens yet, but I'll probably try soon
    I have the same concern, actually. Soon I'll be moving to two NEW touch screens! The SGS3 and the BB 9850. It should be interesting, to say the least!
    07-06-12 08:54 PM
    I am toying with different holding methods trying to master comfortably reaching

I CAN do it but not comfortably nor quickly

I did a typing test that I reported on in another thread, though my speed has increased, when doing a comparison of 10 emails reading and replying when they are alternating requiring me to get back to the inbox between each email I accomplish the task with my iPhone in 27 minutes, with the BlackBerry I accomplish it in 18 minutes, I've improved my iPhone typing speed, and use of double tap, but it is the little things like all the extra screen clicks, and I can't type with my index finger no matter how hard I try I can't get used to it.

I'm a stubborn person I am determined to at least be functional with this piece of crap even if it has cost me some money because of lost opportunities.
    You would be much better off with a different keyboard, like SwiftKey. Unfortunately, the iPhones keyboard is nowhere near as good, and there are no alternatives on the iPhone.
    07-06-12 08:58 PM
    You would be much better off with a different keyboard, like SwiftKey. Unfortunately, the iPhones keyboard is nowhere near as good, and there are no alternatives on the iPhone.
    I very much want a swiftkey or a swype

at the end of a marathon stretch of typing on the iPhone my finger tips are actually sore compared to the use of my BB, and I'm forcing marathon typing working on speed improvements, I think swype or swiftkey where I'm not pounding the glass would be very helpful
    07-06-12 09:06 PM
    wait. . .University of Calgary??? RIM would be foolish if they didn't at very least inquire about this. . .
    07-06-12 09:09 PM
    One word:

Thumb extensions.
    07-06-12 11:03 PM
    This is all so funny because the blackberry has been a one hand device since day one.
    Now they need new technology to go back to the basics.
    07-06-12 11:04 PM
    I have been trying my hardest to find ways,

looking up every little hidden shortcut but 9 out of 10 times I have to stop walking to get stuff done on my touchscreen device,

I think I can blame most of the problems on how unbelievably stupid iOS is when it comes to productivity. but the interface itself is a challenge,
    I was going to pick up the SG3 until I found I'd be paying an arm and a leg every month to have it as a test phone.

My response to that would be that with trackpad and nav keys at the bottom, blackberrys with trackpad are designed so that you DON'T have to interact with the whole screen, that's the beauty of it, touch is an option and an enhancement. You don't have to use touch at all, it is an option and a convenience, not a requirement.

Sometimes it is more convenient to touch, rather than navigate through a menu or when scrolling or zooming, but it is always an option is you dont have an extra hand available.

I will miss the trackpad if/when RIM abandons it.
    07-06-12 11:17 PM
    There will be a BB10 with the physical keyboard.
    07-06-12 11:32 PM

Thats the thing about the "Bold" form factor. It has a natural center of balance that makes you want to use it one handed. Its not that other devices can't be used one handed. It's just that a blackberry feels like it is designed for it. And it is.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-06-12 11:40 PM
    Do you guys and girls think that BB10 will be buttery smooth like Android project butter or iOS smoothness?
    07-07-12 12:06 AM
    I have the same concern, actually. Soon I'll be moving to two NEW touch screens! The SGS3 and the BB 9850. It should be interesting, to say the least!

Wow, the SGS3 is amazing as I have heard, and some say it's even better than the One X. Your two phone combo is almost exactly like mine , just that mine is a One X and the other, a BB9860...similar but different.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-07-12 12:16 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD