Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I don't know if the Palm smartphones do this, but way back when I had a Palm V, one cool feature was their "business card beaming" feature.

Basically, you made an address entry with your own information in it and denoted it as your "business card". Then, if you met up with another Palm user, all you had to do was point the two devices at each other, press and hold your address book button, and it would beam your "business card" to the other person's Palm device.

It was by far the most convenient way to add someone's contact info to your digital organizer. No texting, no phone numbers, nothing - just point, hold a button, and BAM... contact info sent.

I realize the BB doesn't have an infrared emitter/receiver, but I wonder if something like this could be done through Bluetooth without all the hassle of going through the connection process between two phones? Perhaps there's another way?
    02-25-09 10:28 PM
    Ha I wish. Even 3rd party apps would (I believe) need to go throw the same bluetooth setup. So essentially the time taking, and often resulting in failure of bluetooth pairing is your only way.
    02-25-09 10:58 PM
    1. Create a contact for yourself
    2. Highlight the entry
    3. Hit the menu button and select "Send as Attachment"

EDIT:
    Even better...

1. Add the person on BB Messenger
    2. Start a conversation with the contact
    3. Hit the menu button and select "Forward Contact"
    4. Select your contact profile.
    Last edited by majikmonkie; 02-26-09 at 12:12 AM.
    02-26-09 12:08 AM
    2. Highlight the entry

EDIT:
    Even better...

Cool I would try this ....
    All I use to do was send a contact via email

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 01:09 AM
    All good suggestions, but still requires a good but of text input which kinda defeats the whole purpose.

What about connecting two BB's together via USB? Possible?

02-26-09 01:38 PM
    That old Palm OS feature was neat and I still miss it. I had that on my Handspring Visor back in the day. Ah the memories!
    02-26-09 01:43 PM
    All good suggestions, but still requires a good but of text input which kinda defeats the whole purpose.

What about connecting two BB's together via USB? Possible?

I'm not sure I follow... Are you saying that typing in someone's e-mail address, or adding them on BBM is too much text input? I suppose it's not as easy, but seriously...
    Last edited by majikmonkie; 02-26-09 at 04:26 PM.
    02-26-09 04:24 PM
    If you had ever used this feature you would understand. Its not that I'm lazy, its that its way more elegant to be able to "beam" someone your ENTIRE contact info literally with the push of one button.

Not such a big deal with new friends, but a big plus when its a new business client.

02-26-09 06:02 PM
    2. Highlight the entry

EDIT:
    Even better...

First part is what I do.
    Second part..not everyone uses blackberry.
    The treo beaming was kinda kool but sending my info via email with having to hit a couple keys isnt so bad either
    02-26-09 06:11 PM
    Check out the app called DubMeNow... they have a blackberry version.
    02-26-09 06:42 PM
    Hmm...why couldn't you save your contact info as a .VCF and send it using Bluetooth from the Media Manager?
    02-26-09 07:39 PM
    Hmm...why couldn't you save your contact info as a .VCF and send it using Bluetooth from the Media Manager?

Yeah, but you have all the crazy bluetooth setup drama. Ugh.

On that note, how the heck do you save the VCF file to your BB? I can attach it to an email, then I can't seem to save the attachment as a file to my media card. I can view the attachment, but can't seem to save it manually.
    02-26-09 08:49 PM
    Here's a thought for this (and quite possibly other apps). How about transmitting data through the microphone/speaker? Or how about the camera/lcd screen? Either way would work and would be 100% secure (couldn't pirate a phone in the same room I mean).

02-27-09 08:26 AM
    Check out the app called DubMeNow... they have a blackberry version.
    it does not work for the Storm. Now that's silly
    04-05-09 10:38 PM
    That old Palm OS feature was neat and I still miss it. I had that on my Handspring Visor back in the day. Ah the memories!

Had the same Handspring. Look far far we've come........wait.....did i just reveal my age....?
    04-05-09 10:40 PM
    Why not create a business card using auto text and just sms it to them?

04-05-09 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD