I'm using a Bold right now, but my main phone is a Passport SE. I love the Passport, and I love BlackBerry 10, but I wanted a second phone for times when the Beast is "a little much." I had a Bold 9900 sitting in a drawer from 2011, so I thought I'd take a whack at resurrecting it. I was having a lot of fun using it, and since the price was certainly right, I ordered a new one.

There's a "Bold Resurgency" group having a blast with 9900s/9930s http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...arity-1073999/ and you can check out the following videos posted by "Mr 9900," Ralph Morgotch:

and

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12457554

Shuswap also started a "Bold Dead and Working Apps" thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12459176 All that said, I liken using the Bold to flying a P-51 Mustang after you've racked up some time in an F-16. The Mustang was "the" fighter in its day, but if you go supersonic with it, it'll be the last thing you ever do. I'm told they're still a riot to fly, and similarly, I really enjoy using the 9900; however, if I had to choose ONLY ONE phone, it'd be my Passport. Accordingly, if you MUST choose, you would be more productive and probably happier overall with either of the BlackBerry 10 devices.
    06-08-16 09:04 PM
    I think Ima get a Classic or the 9930 for business uses especially since I can't get enough time storage on my 6plus but I do love both phones, I say just buy both and see how things gooo🙄🙃🤑🤗
    06-08-16 09:14 PM
    See smh but I just seen the 9900 and yes I like how it looks more but Ima get the classics for the BB10 I think I would just handle my email uses a little bit better besides this 64GB plus might like to have a friend like the classics with a 200GB storage system 🤑 I heard they would be a good price around October like $100-200 brand New Maybe🙃
    06-08-16 09:19 PM
    the Classic intrigues me but yeah, they are around $300 still here on Amazon I believe, UNlocked so for what I paid I don't care, I can do everything I need to on my 9900, but I realize others have different needs. However I am just glad that all the major apps STILL work in BB0S, Facebook, whatsapp, etc.

You also have to consider that BB10 has one foot into the same boat as BB0S, once that last update goes through they are both in the SAME situation.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-08-16 09:52 PM
    True )
    06-08-16 09:53 PM
    Classic for sure. Screen size is big! Not sure if u can find that many q10s anymore

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 12:43 AM
    Not gonna lie as I have been active on the form about going back to the 9900. I am really thinking about it but I haven't made up my mind yet. Still a few things to figure out. I did just drop $30 bucks on a fairly mint condition Bold 9000. I never had one ever and to be honest I am really impressed with the quality, the leather back and the keyboard on the little typing I have done with it.

As for your question I am a bit mixed. The 9900 is an amazing device for a lot of the messaging, calls, BBOS features and the trackpad works wonders with that. The keyboard is excellent and the build quality on the ones I had, we're fantastic. I also loved the stainless steel frame look, something the Q10 really lacked in my opinion.

The Q10 I had I loved and I got used to BB10 and the swiping very quickly. It's a good compact size, has a replaceable battery and the quality was great. The keyboard was also excellent. Overall I loved it.

The Classic for me is what the Q10 should have been at launch, but that's another topic. The keyboard is excellent, the toolbelt works well for a lot of functions but not like it did on BBOS, battery is good and the screen is large. If your going to do a lot of videos, multimedia, navigation and such, the added sized screen is a big deal here. The quality on my Classic has been great thus far, solid built device considering it was made by Foxconn in China.

If you want to just do a trail and error and don't mind carrying 2 phones, then a 9900 and (insert smartphone choice) is a deadly combo. One is great for calls, messages, replaceable battery, keyboard, quick repairs, low data charges when traveling etc. A phone like iPhone or Android would be good for those social media stuff, good camera etc.

Or if your a hardcore fan, do what I did and buy a 9000, think about your 9900, dust off a Q10 and jack your brothers never used Playbook. I have been going BlackBerry overdrive lately. Kind sick to be honest

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 02:18 AM
    The pink is hotter.

Mine hasn't started to lag, but duly noted on the on board storage limitations.

Posted via CB10
    That probably gets you even more noticed... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-09-16 07:41 PM
    I own a Z30 and the iPhone 6s and I was thinking about owning a compact bb with keyboard too. Q10 appears to me that double typing will happen occasionally, classic is too heavy and too big (I like the AT&T passport as well but it's too big!) I ended up bought a 9900 as my third line. Hope the above reasons help!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 07:50 PM
    I own a Z30 and the iPhone 6s and I was thinking about owning a compact bb with keyboard too. Q10 appears to me that double typing will happen occasionally, classic is too heavy and too big (I like the AT&T passport as well but it's too big!) I ended up bought a 9900 as my third line. Hope the above reasons help!

Posted via CB10
    Supercool! If you have any questions about it pop in to the 9900 group and we love help out and hear the details

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rt2567 likes this.
    06-09-16 07:55 PM
    the Q10 is the best phone I ever had. I had a Passport, then a Classic, but eventually went back to the Q10 (mostly due due to size and the replaceable battery). If it had a better camera, I'd still use it..
    06-09-16 09:18 PM
    the Q10 is the best phone I ever had. I had a Passport, then a Classic, but eventually went back to the Q10 (mostly due due to size and the replaceable battery). If it had a better camera, I'd still use it..
    I feel the exact same way about the Classic!

I've had them all and always come back to a Classic. I also tried the Bold 9900 and as much as I love that little powerhouse, I prefer the Classic.

To each their own.
    06-09-16 09:29 PM
    Didn't realise that there are people out there still buying the Bold. Maybe BlackBerry should do another small production run?

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 05:18 AM
    Perfect for one-handed use. If you're a pro basketball player.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    He didn't mention one-handed use as a staple need.
    06-10-16 09:32 AM
    06-10-16 11:25 AM
    Bold 9900. Style, size and ergonomics. Q10 wins for OS though.

I still have both kicking around the house...

- CrackBerry App for Android on Samsung S6
    06-10-16 11:30 AM
    Didn't realise that there are people out there still buying the Bold. Maybe BlackBerry should do another small production run?

Posted via CB10
    There's often a niche market for older technology. I know people who still purchase and use records. Nostalgic and often times meets the needs of some people.
    06-10-16 01:00 PM

Posted via CB10

There actually was a limited production of the Bold 9900 that occurred in 2014 to help meet demand from corporate clients. A lot of them were waiting for the Classic to be launched and according to John Chen "a lot of 9900's are being held together by duck tape" The limited run was also a way to try and stem the decline in the SAF (system access fee's) while they transitioned the business model with new software offerings.

In a lot of ways that was one of the biggest mistake the company made was giving into pressure on SAF before having a viable software business to help replace what at one time was $4 billion in annual revenue which is rumored to have carried a margin of 80+%

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 02:52 PM
    Have not had any of these my first blackberry is the Classic, I did play around with the Passport though. The Classic is the perfect size and the build quality is awesome. It does what I need it to do although wish it had uber app and some financial apps
    06-10-16 07:07 PM
    Classic!! Love mine, a Great Phone!!
    06-11-16 06:57 AM
    06-11-16 07:10 AM
    If you enjoy doing battery pulls often then go for a 9900. If not I would definitely go for a classic. I have both and the classic is far more superior.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    rthonpm and Avenzuno like this.
    06-11-16 09:21 AM
    I love ♥ the 9900, but the lack of security updates and its browser situation make the device less than convenient... Now, if you are simply seeking a phone PHONE, who's pure purpose for existence is to make calls, text and email than the 9900 wins hands down... However if you want browsing and a few more bells and whistles I recommend the Classic.

I had my 9900 in operation as my daily driver up until November of this past year... Since then I have been using my Classic happily in the 9900's place... The PKB is nearly equal in comfort, the toolbelt an advantage I love to keep everything at thumb's reach without having to touch my screen... I am beyond happy still with my Classic... The Q10 however, I was never excited about. It just felt inadequate to me from the start... If pressed between the Q10, 9900 and Classic, I'd say Classic if you want a browser, 9900 if you're strictly mobile... The Q10 you can skip...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 06-11-16 at 10:05 AM.
    boldbb10, Lefty724, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    06-11-16 09:30 AM
    I love the 9900, but the lack of security updates and its browser situation make the device less than convenient... Now, if you are simply seeking a phone PHONE, who's pure purpose for existence is to make calls, text and email than the 9900 wins hands down... However if you want browsing and a few more bells and whistles I recommend the Classic.

I had my 9900 in operation as my daily driver up until November of this past year... Since then I have been using my Classic happily in the 9900's place... The PKB is nearly equal in comfort, the toolbelt an advantage I love to keep everything at thumb's reach without having to touch my screen... I am beyond happy still with my Classic... The Q10 however, I was never excited about. It just felt inadequate to me from the start... If pressed between the Q10, 9900 and Classic, I'd say Classic if you want a browser, 9900 if you're strictly mobile... The Q10 you can skip...

Posted via CB10
    Well said.
    06-11-16 03:38 PM
    If you enjoy doing battery pulls often then go for a 9900. If not I would definitely go for a classic. I have both and the classic is far more superior.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well, to be honest, I'm concerned about what I call the BB10 apocalypse, when in 2017 Chen decides to pull a bonehead move and dump BlackBerry 10 and stop making hardware for it. I, for one, think BlackBerry should keep both OS 7 and BB10. My thinking for preparing for the worst is this: if buy a Q10 so that I can swap out batteries once the internal Z30 and Classic batteries die. That is why then I am now looking for a third BlavkBerry device to keep as a backup, while they are not yet scarce.

I'm hoping that within a year or two BlackBerry will come to realize it cannot put all its marbles in Android, and that while Android is good for the consumer market, the enterprise might still insist that Waterloo support OS 7 and BB10 legacy devices. By then I also hope someone can come up with a viable ecosystem solution that would involve not caving in to Google and Android. Wishful thinking, I know.
    06-12-16 03:42 PM
55 123