ok dudes, i figured out how to get GPS working on googlemaps if your on a 9530 w/Telus, or probably any other carrier with which you are experiencing similar difficulties. if youve read everything, tried everything, your BB maps GPS works, you have latest gmaps 3.0.2 and its still not workin, this post is for you.

tl;dr : go to turns

let me start out by sayin im on .109, that may be crucial to your success. ill update with my results on .114 later.

i HAVE NOT done the Telus GPS fix posted here, its for improving the speed at which you acquire your gps signal not making it work in the first place. if you cant get a signal atall, your most likely reading the right thread. it says GPS temporarily unavailable, shows you a blue dot with a big area around it, mine says 2200m, and its way off target. again, ill update with results of that fix when i try it, im sure it does improve functionality.

now, the good stuff. im not sure exactly what has caused this conflict, but after some careful analysis i believe the problem to be caused by Telus's network trying to aid your location, googlemaps trying to use that info, but without success due to it being a CDMA network or somethingorother...

how i came to figure this out was i ran across a post on some random forum i found during a google search which said if you switched from 1xEV to GSM all a sudden your googlemaps GPS will work.

so i try this, sure enuff, it does work. interesting. googlemaps CAN use the GPS on my Telus Storm. now we face a new problem. you cant load map images if your not connected to your network. and were now not connected.

so just to make sure im not trippin, i reconnect to Telus, load up a bunch of resolutions of images where im at. leavin the program runnin i then disconnect from the network without changing the network technology from 1xEV to GSM/UMTS. go back to googlemaps, click locate button, nada. no GPS signal, shows me a mile away at its usual spot. back out, change net tech to GSM, back in, locate.... wait... its doing something... BANG! GPS tracking on my preloaded satellite map.

so now were really happening, im walkin around, its showin me within 3m. nice. only remaining problem: still not connected to mobile network, cant load new areas/make calls. but i know now i can definately make this work.

i quickly went to apps, allowed all for googlemaps, (not sure if this has any effect, but u might want to do it just incase) then i went back to mobile network options, and i see thers this Global option... hmm... says it will auto detect my network. so im thinking, maybe, just maybe, well get the best of both worlds here.

i select global, leaving the network unconnected i return to googlemaps to see if i still have GPS. confirmed, GPS still works. ok thats the first good sign. back to connections, connect to mobile network. fingers crossed i hope that this works.

well guess what. it does. it connects me to my 1xEV. so now im on global, connected to Telus, its the moment of truth...

i enter googlemaps.... oh no! not this spot again! ffs... i am not across the river! well lets push locate just to make sure. wait... wait... omg! omgomgogmomgogmomg its movingggg!!1

YIPPEEEE!! GPS tracking, while connected to network. scroll to load new map images, confirmed working. back out of gmaps, call my fax line, phone works. email works.

GPS + network connected... AT THE SAME TIME!

now theres just one last thing to check out, power off device, power on, n see where were at. (did a pull, unsure of effect on our situation)

turns
    out, when we power back up, it doesnt work anymore. it also turns out, if i repeat the process of switching to GSM, loading Gmaps, gettin GPS locked in, then switching back to global with gmaps still running, it works. you can exit and open it back up, it still works. the only thing is it takes a bit to locate you, at first it looks like the same old no GPS, it starts in the same wrong spot, but wait ~ 15 secs and it will snap to.

*2 important things to note about this as of right now*

1) this may be dependent on having the area preloaded at certain resolutions, if this is the case then well have to look into how the data is stored, if and when it gets automatically wiped, and what the limitations are as to total saved area, aswell as the possibility of backing up/loading this data thru utils.

2) i believe it may somehow revert to its original inactive state even without powering down the device after some time, or perhaps as a result of using certain functions. u just rinse/repeat the gsm switch to get it goin again. well have to keep an eye on this.

now, if anyone has read all this and its not working for you, and your on telus, id guess some of your options are set different than mine. also im on a pretty barebones OS load atm, ditched alot of stuff i dont use, but basically the settings are mostly default .109, so try that first. if not, ask me what ive got something set at, ill try to reply.

thanks for reading my first useful post, i hope this helps some of u out. and also if anyone could tell me how to make gmaps stay backlit n active when i dont touch it, thatd be great.

*cough* there i fixed it for u telus and google. BB user for < 1 week.
    Last edited by Jollyburner; 03-12-09 at 12:57 AM.
    03-11-09 08:59 PM
    I love you! This works on bell also

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 09:35 PM
    I haven't really had GPS issues on my Storm with Telus as of yet..?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 09:42 PM
    Can someone post cliff notes I got lost, about what to do.
    03-11-09 10:05 PM
    Wow, i have been trying to figure this out for a month. you amde my day, nice to know!!! wow... this is amazing!!! Thaks a Mil, the onlything is that it switched back and forth... that i am not able to figure out... why ?
    Last edited by bmerdinian; 03-11-09 at 10:11 PM.
    03-11-09 10:08 PM
    Can someone post cliff notes I got lost, about what to do.
    open Google maps, locate urself goto options/ mobile network, turn on GSM instead of 1Xev or whatever you have,then go back to google maps, press the blue locator botton. wait for 30 sec. go back to options mobile newtwork turn on to GLOBAL

enjoy
    03-11-09 10:13 PM
    if i had to guess why this is working, id say that when were switching to GSM were loading some module or something that allows gmaps to access the GPS on our device without any corrections, or aGPS or w/e. so it like, loads up its little process and gets to work doing this. normally it would be lookin to use the data from our radio signal to triangulate our position faster. when we re-enable our connection, the module or w/e that is forcing that unwanted interaction is probably superseded by the existing process, or something to that effect, resulting in gmaps maintaining its current function without interference from data which is in an unusable format (something to do with our being on CDMA)

that would also be why its switching back n forth when we reopen it, cause its trying to return to its non-working ways, but somehow weve tricked it into submission, and it decides to just let us have GPS.

i may be way off, im not a programmer, but something along these lines is whats happening, thats how i was able to figure it out.
    03-11-09 10:29 PM
    if i had to guess why this is working, id say that when were switching to GSM were loading some module or something that allows gmaps to access the GPS on our device without any corrections, or aGPS or w/e. so it like, loads up its little process and gets to work doing this. normally it would be lookin to use the data from our radio signal to triangulate our position faster. when we re-enable our connection, the module or w/e that is forcing that unwanted interaction is probably superseded by the existing process, or something to that effect, resulting in gmaps maintaining its current function without interference from data which is in an unusable format (something to do with our being on CDMA)

that would also be why its switching back n forth when we reopen it, cause its trying to return to its non-working ways, but somehow weve tricked it into submission, and it decides to just let us have GPS.

i may be way off, im not a programmer, but something along these lines is whats happening, thats how i was able to figure it out.
    Did you realize when hitting the GSM part and then the location blue dot it says within 10 meters then after when you go back to Global again it says within 700 meters and switches back and fourth ? i did a batt pull and now i cant get it back, i will do it again, maybe it goes thru
    03-11-09 10:41 PM
    When I upgraded to .109 on my Verizon Storm, it just started working. I didn't have to switch any settings.
    03-11-09 10:43 PM
    First, I would like to say thanks for seriously looking into this. Second, I can't believe how insanely simple this was for me to fix. Ok, here is what I did. After reading the OP and being a little lazy, I figured I would go through and do the easy stuff first. So, I started G-Maps and waited, it had me bouncing all over (I have never been able to get a satellite lock here in my apartment). Then, I went to apps, and set all the permissions to allow. Next step, I went outside and waited. Then BAM, it got a fix (within 10 meters, then 8 meters)! Once it locked on I took a walk. Blue dot tracked me all the way, it even had a little blue arrow indicating the direction of travel. Signal was golden until I went back into my apartment, where I promptly lost the signal. As a side note, I am running .114 and I'm located in the SF Bay Area. So, Jollyburner, thanks for the idea & I hope this helps someone else.
    03-11-09 10:46 PM
    @bmerdinian - yes mine does the switch thing aswell, it takes ~ 15-20 seconds to get crackin. also i get right down to 3 m accuracy, it follows u walkin around, just not while its plugged into my computer for screenshots

@gochoo - yup afaik only a few of us were suffering from this problem, namely Telus, and apparently Bell aswell. but suffering all that much more, i might add, knowing that everyone else was using their googlemaps and we werent.
    03-11-09 10:52 PM
    100% right ... and i work for T
    03-11-09 10:52 PM
    To everyone that's doing this: Have you check at mytelusmobility.com to see if you are getting any extra data charges for switching to GSM?
    03-12-09 12:33 AM
    i cant log into my account yet, so i couldnt tell you one way or the other.

from what i can tell though, were never actually using GSM. just the settings for GSM to load gmaps GPS functionality unhindered.

when you switch back to global your getting your data thru telus' 1xEV CDMA network (i think) and gmaps is just using the onboard GPS without correction/aGPS/what the problem is.

be nice to find out for sure tho that were not somehow burning money...
    03-12-09 12:38 AM
    Omg this actually works on bell too. I went from 1600 meters away from my room to now 3 meters. Lol. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by thymaster; 03-12-09 at 04:55 AM.
    03-12-09 04:51 AM
    The only way this is working for me is if I leave it in GSM/UMTS. One thing I also noticed is when I change to GSM/UMTS my Mobile Network reads Rogers Wireless and I also get the SOS in red beside my antenna symbol? I am assuming that I should not leave it in this setting? Not really sure why I get these readings....anyone else with Telus see the same info?
    03-12-09 08:54 AM
    The only way this is working for me is if I leave it in GSM/UMTS. One thing I also noticed is when I change to GSM/UMTS my Mobile Network reads Rogers Wireless and I also get the SOS in red beside my antenna symbol? I am assuming that I should not leave it in this setting? Not really sure why I get these readings....anyone else with Telus see the same info?
    OK, now it's working in Global...my location within 3 meters!!! just needed to give it more time. Great info, thanks jollyburner.
    03-12-09 09:02 AM
    That's amazing! Thanks so much. Anybody have an answer to the cost question? If its going to end up costing me extra, I may as well use BBMaps, its really not that much worse.
    03-12-09 09:46 AM
    when i find out for sure about any extra charges i will definately post, but its gona be a few days till i can get set up to access my account.

im 99% sure theres nothing happening they can charge you for tho, thats if you have unlimited data. if you are on 500mb plan then youll get charged if u go over, but you probly wont from what ive been reading. ive loaded most of my hometown at the highest res, and when i checked today at the telus store id only used 12 mb, and thats including ~10 youtube streams and 3 app DLs. at this rate id really have to try to go over 500mb, and if you are, its only 10$ more on your bill for the unlimited data plan.

afaik theres just really nothing thats not covered by your data plan except for tethering, and thats a whole different story altogether, because theres at least some justification (imo) to them charging you extra for doing that.

w/e were doing doesnt seem to be using any of their services were not already paying for.
    03-12-09 04:00 PM
    when i find out for sure about any extra charges i will definately post, but its gona be a few days till i can get set up to access my account.

im 99% sure theres nothing happening they can charge you for tho, thats if you have unlimited data. if you are on 500mb plan then youll get charged if u go over, but you probly wont from what ive been reading. ive loaded most of my hometown at the highest res, and when i checked today at the telus store id only used 12 mb, and thats including ~10 youtube streams and 3 app DLs. at this rate id really have to try to go over 500mb, and if you are, its only 10$ more on your bill for the unlimited data plan.

afaik theres just really nothing thats not covered by your data plan except for tethering, and thats a whole different story altogether, because theres at least some justification (imo) to them charging you extra for doing that.

w/e were doing doesnt seem to be using any of their services were not already paying for.

I have unlimited data from telus, it doesn't actually cover everything.
    Just don't click on those icons inside downloads
    ie: telus portal, telus web, telus mobile tv and radio.
    I was told that if I click on those it will automatically subscribe to those services and end up paying like $15 each per month.

and one of the sales working at telus said some customers were charged for streaming video on some phones eventhough they have unlimited data plan.
    03-14-09 12:19 PM
    Unlimited data is unlimited, but those are premium services. It's like paying for internet in your home which is pretty much unlimited, but then wanting to use Netflix or something.
    03-14-09 12:25 PM
    yeah works Bell and then as soon as you switch back to 1XEV it goes back to 2000m or whatever... how dumb. Problem is even though its cool that it works its a pain to have to do this everytime. Stoopid Bell and Telus for blocking this on us.
    03-14-09 02:40 PM
    re: telus portal, telus web, telus mobile tv and radio.

thats all junk anyways, you can get rid of those things easily so theyre not cluttering up your storm. you can put em back if you ever decide you need one. then you or your drunk friend cant actually subscribe to them accidentally.

--

@ spektakle: i dont think telus or bell blocked it. this is a conflict as a result of our being on a CDMA network, and the location aiding information gmaps is trying to use from our network being unusable for w/e reason. i think.

the only thing telus did wrong (imo afaik) was not letting people know that

a) they might have some issues getting GPS to work with certain applications. i think because they know all about this stuff they should be letting customers know.

b) that there are free apps for GPS if you go look. im sure many people simply subscribe to Telus' service because they dont know how GPS works, ie the signals are free and you have a reciever in your phone.

as far as b goes, you wouldnt really expect anything else from them, theyre in business to make money.

if you want to blame someone, cast your gaze towards google. (again imo afaik)

on googles help site their response to someone asking about it was were working on it. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that if i could figure out how to make it work in 4 hours, with no training, and having owned my first blackberry for 3 days, they already knew the workaround before w/e version made it possible was released. now im not sure if theyre working on it, they claim they are, i give them the benefit of the doubt. perhaps theyre even working hard on it.

the thing is, this fix isnt extremely complicated, and if you really want satellite maps with GPS tracking on your phone then youd probly rather have had someone tell you about this method than wait god only knows how long till they update again with this problem fixed. furthermore, theres no guarantee they will ever make this work atall, and i dont just mean that they might not allocate the resources to fix their software, i mean it might be totally within the realm of RIMs locked out device. these things are built to function one way and one way only. we may never see this feature enabled on this model.

so i think they should be posting about this on their site, so more people can find it. im sure a ton of people in western canada are on telus/bell and cant use their gmaps on their brand new top of the line 600 dollar device.
    03-14-09 08:38 PM
    When I upgraded to .109 on my Verizon Storm, it just started working. I didn't have to switch any settings.
    Yea, Same here
    03-15-09 01:43 AM
    Thank you for your simplifed instructions !
    It's finnaly works fom me ! Thanks again !
    03-15-09 11:29 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD