Edit:
    Just want to add my device is a Q10 but it's a possible error on all BB10 devices.

Sorry if TL;DR but I share with an eye catching title for those who Google the problem because I do not think there is a known fix. Even BlackBerry had no idea what to do when I called them. They offered me a free out of warrenty repair it was so unheard of to them.

I have had this problem for a week. After hours of research over the past few days I have found a few with the problem but no fix. Even BlackBerry doesn't know what to do.

For those that are not fully sure what I'm talking about, it's when your phone warns you on the lockscreen that you have entered the incorrect password 5 out of 10 times and if done 5 more times everything will be erased. Than you close the warning and the pin screen prompts. It says "6 out of 10 attempts" or something like that. If you enter the correct password it will either freeze or the line will go blank for you to enter it again.

The problem is that you don't even have to have a set password to get this error. It's a critical phone breaking error too. There is no possible way to get to settings to factory restore. Using the computer app won't work either. It's just a bricked device. No number of resets or battery pulls will fix it.

I have found a fix though and would like to share it! After trying hopefull things that had no chance of working after giving up, it turns out one thing did work! On the glitched pin screen, instead of entering your real pin, enter "blackberry" in all lowercase. Once you do that it will prompt you to enter your real pin and everything will go back to normal.

Once again, not trying to claim I discovered anything. I'm sure somebody else has and didn't share it. Maybe it has been shared and I just suck at working Google. I simply just wanted to put this out in detail to help anyone that thinks their phone is gone forever like I did. Also I just thought to try "blackberry" because of reasons lol. I was so shocked when just a bored thought worked!

Edit: I think I may have figured out why entering "blackberry" fixed it. Typing "blackberry" is required to factory restore it from the setting menue. Just a theory but maybe the lockscreen pin brick error causes the phone to think it's on that screen. I have no idea but it works for some reason.
    Last edited by KarateHottie93; 11-10-15 at 08:20 PM.
    Al moon and lactose like this.
    11-10-15 08:06 PM
    This is a simple blockage functionality to avoid kids from playing with picture password, standard password or the PIN... and wiping your precious working data (created since last backup).

Even protection from yourself, when you're trying to use up your ten tries in a mad frenzy without thinking, having to enter "blackberry" after five attempts has pretty much always been there...
    :-)

Weird that BB support didn't work that one out!

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    11-10-15 08:29 PM
    Good stuff! Hopefully I never need this tip!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 08:31 PM
    This is a simple blockage functionality to avoid kids from playing with picture password, standard password or the PIN... and wiping your precious working data (created since last backup).

Even protection from yourself, when you're trying to use up your ten tries in a mad frenzy without thinking, having to enter "blackberry" after five attempts has pretty much always been there...

Yeah but the problem is that this isn't a simple security block. It's a random error that can happen to those devices that don't even require a password or pin to unlock.

I've been doing more research since posing this and it turns out I'm not the first to contact BlackBerry and them have no answers. A few have and all were told the same thing...at least the ones that posted the error. I still can't find anyone else who found a fix.

The difference in this and the real security block is that this one just randomly happens to any phone. You can be one of the ones who have no security at all with a completely open device that anyone can pick up and use. Whether the owner has a password set or not this bug can happen to literally anyone. It automatically says 6/10 attempts used also which is strange. If you enter the wrong password multiple times it will literally change nothing. I like many entered the wrong pin multiple times just to try to set off a factory restore instead of having a phone that couldn't be fixed without RMA. That wasn't the case though as it just did nothing. The only thing that does anything is entering "blackberry". Why, I have no idea, but trust me that this error is a whole different ballgame than a true security block. When the company doesn't even know what to do it's pretty bad.

The 5 out of 10 tries warning you get is real and meant to be there. The thing prompting it in this case is an actual bug though. Sorry for the overly long explanation but just trying to make it clear that this is an actual bug that bricks the phone and prompts that warning, not a legitimate security lockout.

Also the funny thing about having to enter "blackberry" here is that you have to enter it on the prompted pin screen, not the regular screen you get when required to enter "blackberry".
    Last edited by KarateHottie93; 11-10-15 at 09:04 PM.
    11-10-15 08:45 PM
    After you enter the password incorrectly for 5 times, when it prompts you to enter it again, it clearly calls out that you should enter blackberry - did you see that message?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 01:14 AM
    After you enter the password incorrectly for 5 times, when it prompts you to enter it again, it clearly calls out that you should enter blackberry - did you see that message?

Posted via CB10
    No offense to OP, but I recently panicked in a similar way, and was stuck on 6/10. I typed wrong password, right password, something else, nothing changed, 6/10...

Then realised that "blackberry" has the solution and that I'm holding a different phone with a different password, lol...

:-D

I also thought it was a bug. Forgive me if that doesn't match your experience.

11-11-15 02:26 AM
    No offense to OP, but I recently panicked in a similar way, and was stuck on 6/10. I typed wrong password, right password, something else, nothing changed, 6/10...

Then realised that "blackberry" has the solution and that I'm holding a different phone with a different password, lol...

:-D

I also thought it was a bug. Forgive me if that doesn't match your experience.

The 6 of 10 prompt window tells you to enter 'blackberry' to proceed.

I do not believe this issue is as obscure as implied by the Op.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    11-11-15 09:59 AM

Methinks a communication problem between OP and BB Support is to blame. "Uhhhhh- what?"

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    11-11-15 10:16 AM