Flip/folding phones and now the awesome Samsung XPro with durability (military grade protection) and a 4,050 mAh removable battery 😳 and configurable keys and IP rating. If there are no additional Key devices a XPro type slab will be my next device. (Samsung is stepping up their support of devices)

I'll definitely support replacable batteries and durability all day and any day as a person that spends most of my leisure time on soccer practice fields, at games and tournaments.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    01-09-20 01:21 PM
    Flip/folding phones and now the awesome Samsung XPro with durability (military grade protection) and a 4,050 mAh removable battery ������ and configurable keys and IP rating. If there are no additional Key devices a XPro type slab will be my next device. (Samsung is stepping up their support of devices)

I'll definitely support replacable batteries and durability all day and any day as a person that spends most of my leisure time on soccer practice fields, at games and tournaments.
    Yep, I saw that device yesterday on some tech site. If I'm not mistaken it was around $500 USD, so it's in my range haha.
    01-09-20 01:41 PM
    Flip/folding phones and now the awesome Samsung XPro with durability (military grade protection) and a 4,050 mAh removable battery 😳 and configurable keys and IP rating. If there are no additional Key devices a XPro type slab will be my next device. (Samsung is stepping up their support of devices)

Yep, I saw that device yesterday on some tech site. If I'm not mistaken it was around $500 USD, so it's in my range haha.
    01-09-20 01:41 PM
    WONDERful to see some sanity in battery config. Among other things, swappable batteries permit possibilities for readily sizing a battery to individual needs. That 4ah batt might turn out to add unnecessary weight for some use cases. No need to fatigue hand with unnecessary weight.

Flip side is that if an undersized battery drains mid day, it CAN be swapped. Versatility is a good thing.
    01-09-20 03:29 PM
    Flip/folding phones and now the awesome Samsung XPro with durability (military grade protection) and a 4,050 mAh removable battery and configurable keys and IP rating. If there are no additional Key devices a XPro type slab will be my next device. (Samsung is stepping up their support of devices)

TBH Samsung has long been doing Rugged Devices in the form of their Galaxy Active line, but they had been Network exclusives.

The Galaxy XCover Pro seems to take the Active series mainstream though, which is great! Looks like this is going to be it’s own line of devices and the XCover Pro is a great start.

I don’t know about Samsung stepping up software support though, my Galaxy Note8 is not getting Android 10 and neither is the Galaxy S8, the jury is still out on their software support duration. The Huawei Mate 10 Pro I had for review at the same time though is getting Android 10.
    01-09-20 05:18 PM
    TBH Samsung has long been doing Rugged Devices in the form of their Galaxy Active line, but they had been Network exclusives.

The Galaxy XCover Pro seems to take the Active series mainstream though, which is great! Looks like this is going to be it’s own line of devices and the XCover Pro is a great start.

I don’t know about Samsung stepping up software support though, my Galaxy Note8 is not getting Android 10 and neither is the Galaxy S8, the jury is still out on their software support duration. The Huawei Mate 10 Pro I had for review at the same time though is getting Android 10.
    The S7 is almost at 4 years of security patches. That's A-OK in my book. I hope to hell they give the S8 and Note 8 10. They all have the 835 as does the S4 Tablet and it's getting 10 for certain. There's at least hope as the work and testing for the 835 will be done.
    01-10-20 12:30 AM
    The S7 is almost at 4 years of security patches. That's A-OK in my book. I hope to hell they give the S8 and Note 8 10. They all have the 835 as does the S4 Tablet and it's getting 10 for certain. There's at least hope as the work and testing for the 835 will be done.
    Haven’t touched my old S7 Edge in months, will check its got any updates to be done to it.

I had to change my CSC to get updates.
    01-10-20 01:06 AM
    Pogo Pin? One of the best features on the PlayBook.
    Two mappable buttons is a nice touch as well.

Will be interesting to see how much a replaceable battery is. $499 phone with a $69 battery? Samsung doesn't do cheap accessories, and I'm not sure there will be enough volume for 3rd party options.

Will probable kill the struggling Bullitt Group...
    01-10-20 08:07 AM
    This is nice and all, but still no dice for those who want to type on plastic
    01-10-20 09:07 AM
    This is nice and all, but still no dice for those who want to type on plastic
    I am still hopeful, in a pipe dream, we will all see a Galaxy Key device with all in the XPro line of features. Samsung and BlackBerry need to make it happen!! Cover all the bases ya know. 😎🤟👍
    the_boon likes this.
    01-10-20 01:05 PM
    I am still hopeful, in a pipe dream, we will all see a Galaxy Key device with all in the XPro line of features. Samsung and BlackBerry need to make it happen!! Cover all the bases ya know.
    Samsung doesn't even need BlackBerry, just make it like the S8/+ keyboard cover...

...just less cheap and with more attention to detail
    01-10-20 01:24 PM
    I am still hopeful, in a pipe dream, we will all see a Galaxy Key device with all in the XPro line of features. Samsung and BlackBerry need to make it happen!! Cover all the bases ya know. 😎🤟👍
    No company wants BlackBerry anymore.
    01-10-20 01:31 PM
    Samsung doesn't even need BlackBerry, just make it like the S8/+ keyboard cover...

...just less cheap and with more attention to detail
    I do wonder if with BlackBerry gone if they'll bring those back....
    01-10-20 01:33 PM
    If this comes to AT&T, I might upgrade from my S9 at upgrade time. The Active line on AT&T was always more expensive than the regular corresponding S model. Sounds like this should be a bit less. I'm all for that.

As for extending support, in spite of some reporting a few months back, the 8 series is not getting Android 10. The SOC is not the issue. It's strictly date of release. Samsung has so many devices to keep up with, they have to stop somewhere. The S7s are only on quarterly updates now until summer.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-10-20 01:55 PM
    If this comes to AT&T, I might upgrade from my S9 at upgrade time. The Active line on AT&T was always more expensive than the regular corresponding S model. Sounds like this should be a bit less. I'm all for that.

As for extending support, in spite of some reporting a few months back, the 8 series is not getting Android 10. The SOC is not the issue. It's strictly date of release. Samsung has so many devices to keep up with, they have to stop somewhere. The S7s are only on quarterly updates now until summer.
    It has a same CPU as your S9 does. Lol
    01-11-20 04:23 AM
    Are you sure? The S9 in USA has a Snapdragon 845 and Internationally uses an Exynos 9810, while the XCover Pro uses an Exynos 9611, which seems to be more of a mid end chip of sorts with a slightly weaker GPU from the looks of it:

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...idPhone2=10001

01-11-20 08:10 AM
    Are you sure? The S9 in USA has a Snapdragon 845 and Internationally uses an Exynos 9810, while the XCover Pro uses an Exynos 9611, which seems to be more of a mid end chip of sorts with a slightly weaker GPU from the looks of it:

[IMG=1024x786]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200111/d4b977d136ddc8010ec9f859d838d814.jpg[/url]
    And I won't mind if it has lower end hardware internally. I need to be paying less anyway.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-11-20 08:20 AM
    And I won't mind if it has lower end hardware internally. I need to be paying less anyway.
    I get you, most newer mid range chips are pretty powerful, especially by Samsung and Qualcomm.
    01-11-20 09:20 AM

[IMG=1024x786]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200111/d4b977d136ddc8010ec9f859d838d814.jpg[/url]
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...e-lineup%3famp
    Attached Thumbnails Is old going to be new again?-9933.jpg  
    01-11-20 03:54 PM
    The OP is talking about the XCover Pro with Exynos 9611 and 4050mAh battery.

Your link goes to the XCover Field Pro that seems to be an AT&T exclusive.
    01-11-20 04:08 PM
    Regarding the OP's title that "Is old going to be new again?"

I can only say that I don't know but the "new" (shiny gigantic bezel-less slabs) is really getting old/tiresome
    01-11-20 07:17 PM
    Regarding the OP's title that "Is old going to be new again?"

I can only say that I don't know but the "new" (shiny gigantic bezel-less slabs) is really getting old/tiresome
    Why? The specs are just getting better and the pricing cheaper.
    01-11-20 07:46 PM
    Why? The specs are just getting better and the pricing cheaper.
    So?

How's that exciting?

One can also buy last year's flagship for less or equal to this year's midranger.
    bh7171 and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-11-20 08:07 PM
    The OP is talking about the XCover Pro with Exynos 9611 and 4050mAh battery.

Your link goes to the XCover Field Pro that seems to be an AT&T exclusive.
    Oh, thanks for correcting me.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-12-20 12:39 AM
    I believe the reality sinking in for device makers and slab users is that outside of additional camera lens (how many is to many?) is that there is zero innovation in that form factor. I am certain Samsung knows they are not going to sell this phone in volume but there is a market for it with durability and infinite battery life. So hats off to them. Now they need to license the BlackBerry keyboard and give us a Galaxy "Key" . Standard slab, durable field slab, foldable and key devices. 😎👍
    the_boon likes this.
    01-13-20 12:21 AM
30 12