11-03-09 01:30 PM
68 123
tools
    [preface]
    maybe this belongs in the OS section, if a mod feels that way please feel free to move it.
    [/preface]

Can someone please explain to me why OS 5.0 is so important to us as Blackberry users? I mean i surf BB forums when the phones are ringing at work. I have some 1,300 post on here, some 1,900 post on T-Mobile's forums, and all the "talk" is the 5.0 OS that is coming out. I play with the betas everytime they come out. i install it on my phone, play with it for a few days then downgrade to 4.6 again. not that big of a difference. the UI is the same exact, but 5.0 has VVM, um... my 4.6 w/ Google Voice has VVM. and with google voice lite people will now be able to get VVM on any cell phone, so that really isn't a plus. you can use the trackball/trackpad to "flick" from one picture to another. well pressing the "n" and "p" button do the same thing.

i just don't see what the hype is over 5.0... it is the same exact UI that 4.2/4.3/4.5/4.6/4.7 all have.....

would someone please enlighten me.....
    10-29-09 01:14 PM
    Now don't kill me on this - I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But,....as an average, everyday end user. OS 5.0 has more 'flash', it looks 'snappier' and I think the aesthetic improvements to some of the screens are nice. Overall, I like the way my Storm "behaves" with this new OS. Just my 2 cents...
    10-29-09 01:23 PM
    Now don't kill me on this - I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But,....as an average, everyday end user. OS 5.0 has more 'flash', it looks 'snappier' and I think the aesthetic improvements to some of the screens are nice. Overall, I like the way my Storm "behaves" with this new OS. Just my 2 cents...
    I installed the new 5.0 on a co-workers Storm (9530) yesterday, it looks and feels the same as 4.7. the only thing was when you "closed" a screen the screen would "shrink" out of view....
    10-29-09 01:35 PM
    I also noticed that when you scroll the menu sort of "settles" into place smoothly. The SMS is way different too - although that is a matter of opionion as to whether or not that is an improvement.
    10-29-09 01:37 PM
    oh...less we not forget the *cooler* new BlackBerry boot screen!
    10-29-09 01:41 PM
    Native Threaded SMS is the selling point for me on my Storm.

And Flick Scrolling.

I would strangle a dolphin if I had to go back to 4.7.

Just watched Bio-Dome, hence the dolphin line. I wouldnt actually harm sea-life.
    10-29-09 01:42 PM
    Text wrap!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 01:42 PM
    Personally I haven't installed any of the betas. So there isn't that much
    validity that you can put into my statement. But it does seem from what I've
    seen that the UI is pretty much the same. I don't know how much aesthetic
    changes there are with 5.0, but knowing RIM I'm sure it's not much. If 5.0
    was happening without the other exisiting smartphones and OS's, such as the
    iPhone or Android, then 5.0 would be a huge deal. However, now that we've
    seen what other phones have to offer, 5.0 just doesn't seem to cut the
    mustard.

Now when it's official I will of course install it. I could use tabbed web browsing
    and threaded SMS might be pretty cool. But not so much since BBM is my
    mainly used message app.
    10-29-09 01:45 PM
    Now when it's official I will of course install it. I could use tabbed web browsing
    and threaded SMS might be pretty cool. But not so much since BBM is my
    mainly used message app.
    I guess that is what i'm getting at, with 'Droid 2.0, and Apple's 3.1 OS and looking at the applications catalog for those two device OS's our 5.0 just doesn't look like "all that an a bag of chips". it looks really "middle of the road". Threaded SMS i can really do with out it. if you are SMSing that many people that you need threaded SMS to keep conversations in order then i'd have to suggest go out and meet poeple.... and Tabbed browsing sure it would be cool but on a EDGE device (using the towers) it has to be painfully slow, and a battery HOG ! ! ! ....
    10-29-09 01:54 PM
    I decided I would try a Storm again since I'd heard so much about 5.0. I don't really see much difference. And after barely being able to hack out an email reply that looked more like a text message while driving last night(yeah, I know, but it was time-sensitive) I'm going back to my Curve.
    10-29-09 02:06 PM
    I guess that is what i'm getting at, with 'Droid 2.0, and Apple's 3.1 OS and looking at the applications catalog for those two device OS's our 5.0 just doesn't look like "all that an a bag of chips". it looks really "middle of the road". Threaded SMS i can really do with out it. if you are SMSing that many people that you need threaded SMS to keep conversations in order then i'd have to suggest go out and meet poeple.... and Tabbed browsing sure it would be cool but on a EDGE device (using the towers) it has to be painfully slow, and a battery HOG ! ! ! ....
    Yeah even if we weren't considering the applications, the other OS's blow
    5.0 out of the water. When people say that the Apple and Google listen to
    their customer base and RIM doesn't, it's not true, ironically. Blackberry users
    for years and years have praised the devices and have become so loyal that
    they find no wrong with the software. I've said it a thousand times. RIM really
    has no incentive in putting more money into development then what they
    want to spend, simply because the loyal customer base is happy with it
    already. Which is fine with me. But pretty soon mediocrity will drive me to use
    another phone, and only that one.
    10-29-09 02:06 PM
    Yeah even if we weren't considering the applications, the other OS's blow
    5.0 out of the water. When people say that the Apple and Google listen to
    their customer base and RIM doesn't, it's not true, ironically. Blackberry users
    for years and years have praised the devices and have become so loyal that
    they find no wrong with the software. I've said it a thousand times. RIM really
    has no incentive in putting more money into development then what they
    want to spend, simply because the loyal customer base is happy with it
    already. Which is fine with me. But pretty soon mediocrity will drive me to use
    another phone, and only that one.
    That is one thing i like about 'Droid after you root the phone you can flipping make it your's, do things you want it to do, make it your own for lack of better terms. but RIM allowing people to do that ? i don't see it. you have a little box that RIM puts you in and makes you stay there.... the more and more i think about it, the more and more i want to "play"... i had a WinMo phone. Touch Diamond and a Touch Pro two, and those phones were "old" compared to today's stardard and it did the same as my "new" 8900. i dunno...

i just wish 5.0 was something more that flick scrolling, a pretty load up screen, and custom "sms" tones....
    10-29-09 02:34 PM
    my experience with 5.0 has been great. two biggest differences are much improved battery life and over all performance, with 5.0 my Tour is so much faster at loading apps, browsing the web and using multimedia such as music and videos.

There is also a huge difference in boot up times with 5.0, it's much faster.

Visual improvements alone aren't what makes an OS great, if i wanted a different UI then i wouldn't have a blackberry, the speed and power management improvments alone with 5.0 make it worth it for anyone with a device thats capable of running it.

i wish everyone would stop comparing blackberries to whatever new phone comes out, if RIM wanted to be like everyone else then they would do a complete redesign of the OS. RIM has a solid, reliable OS thats proven itself over and over again and i think thats why most blackberry users are so dedicated to their devices, they just work.
    10-29-09 04:59 PM
    ...i wish everyone would stop comparing blackberries to whatever new phone comes out...
    It would be hard for a married guy to ignore the hot woman in the room.
    10-29-09 05:19 PM
    Edgemaster, so basically comso stuff. What about memory management, why should all the apps, phone numbers, calendars and flash memory be contained to 256mb? Why can't I put it on my 8gig card!?! Why are there memory leaks like crazy?!? I could go on . .
    Last edited by mjneid; 10-29-09 at 06:29 PM.
    10-29-09 06:16 PM
    i wish everyone would stop comparing blackberries to whatever new phone comes out, .
    Are you aware that Android has been out for SEVERAL years. Its by no means a "new phone". You are correct RIM paved the track that Smart Phones run on, I'll give you that. But since the track has been paved they are nothing to keep infront of the pack. And Android will shortly be passing them. And apple has a few laps on BB when it comes to Memory Management and Applications out.

10-29-09 06:18 PM
    Are you aware that Android has been out for SEVERAL years. Its by no means a "new phone".
    It's not a phone at all. It's an OS. Would you consider two version of Linux running on different model PCs to be the same? Android 2.0 on new hardware, to me, seems like a new phone.

And IMO, one of the beauties of the RIM OS is that it hasn't changed much.
    10-29-09 06:46 PM
    It's not a phone at all. It's an OS. Would you consider two version of Linux running on different model PCs to be the same? Android 2.0 on new hardware, to me, seems like a new phone.

And IMO, one of the beauties of the RIM OS is that it hasn't changed much.
    Hince the " " around "new phone" I completely understand that Android is a OS the only reason I mentioned it as a "phone" was the person I was repling to mention compairing phones. . This is a OS discussion. . . With version 1, version 2 "cupcake" and soon to be released "eclair". And that is my point. Why is 5.0 so great if it is 4.6/4.7 with make up on?

10-29-09 07:01 PM
    Are you aware that Android has been out for SEVERAL years. Its by no means a "new phone". You are correct RIM paved the track that Smart Phones run on, I'll give you that. But since the track has been paved they are nothing to keep infront of the pack. And Android will shortly be passing them. And apple has a few laps on BB when it comes to Memory Management and Applications out.

please explain to me where the several years part comes in>? last i checked android went public in november of 2008, hardly what i would call several years

blackberry OS has been around a lot longer then that.

as i said earlier, if i wanted a flashier OS i would have gone with a different phone. RIM just needs to keep making solid, reliable operating systems.

i'm sure as the demand grows and RIM starts making more touchscreen devices then we'll see major changes in the OS.

if you don't like the blackberry os then why buy a blackberry? blackberry OS is simple to use yet is extremely powerful. i'm not saying the android's iphones and webOS devices aren't powerful but it's a matter of preference.

it's like buying an PC then complaining because it doesn't have OSX on it.

oh and one last thing...why the **** do people always compare the amount of apps that iphone has vs everyone else? really...can you even install 100,000 apps on an iphone? and how many of them are even useful in every day life?
    10-29-09 07:20 PM
    Why is 5.0 so great if it is 4.6/4.7 with make up on?

anything that improves the functionality of the device is an improvement. better battery life and overall performance makes it worth it's weight in gold as far as i'm concerned. the addition of BIS 2.8 and contact syncing is also a nice touch. it also added threaded text messaging which i know many people have been begging for.

i would take a look through the findings threads in the various device forums and see what everyone is talking about with 5.0.
    10-29-09 07:26 PM
    So basically you avoided the memory management question. If I read that correctly. And I'm not knocking RIM or the OS as far as user friendliness, but I find battery pulls, soft resets, and memory leaks "reliable". And if RIM can put a little tracer on my Micro SD of the applications I had, why can't they put the entire application on their.

10-29-09 07:42 PM
    It would be hard for a married guy to ignore the hot woman in the room.
    He's totally right. I've got a few married guys eyeing me right now

10-29-09 07:43 PM
    He's totally right. I've got a few married guys eyeing me right now

Sorry I'll stop looking

10-29-09 07:49 PM
    I would say better graphics and SMS threading. SMS threading alone makes it worth it.
    10-29-09 07:51 PM
    Sorry I'll stop looking

Haha I saw that post & I couldn't resist.

10-29-09 07:59 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD