the reasoning behind not allowing applications to be installed to the SD card is supposedly because the app would run slower. i have to agree it would be a nice option to have but it's not a deal breaker.

as for battery pulls, i rarely do a battery pull and when i have to it's because of some third party app that seems to forget what it's doing (not gonna name names here as it is a great app) i don't seem to have any memory leaks going on, i think it all depends on what applications you have installed.

i also believe that having a platform that is capable of multi-tasking you have a higher risk of potential memory leaks and crashes because the cpu and ram have to share that much more resources. my experience has been great with my Tour, it has never crashed on me, and like i said i have to restart it because of one app. and even when that app stops working properly the rest of the phone is fine, it doesn't bog down or crash because of it
    10-29-09 08:15 PM
    the reasoning behind not allowing applications to be installed to the SD card is supposedly because the app would run slower. i have to agree it would be a nice option to have but it's not a deal breaker.

as for battery pulls, i rarely do a battery pull and when i have to it's because of some third party app that seems to forget what it's doing (not gonna name names here as it is a great app) i don't seem to have any memory leaks going on, i think it all depends on what applications you have installed.

i also believe that having a platform that is capable of multi-tasking you have a higher risk of potential memory leaks and crashes because the cpu and ram have to share that much more resources. my experience has been great with my Tour, it has never crashed on me, and like i said i have to restart it because of one app. and even when that app stops working properly the rest of the phone is fine, it doesn't bog down or crash because of it
    You are aware that your Tour Multi-Task? And its not a deal breaker, its a perfect example of RIM putting you in the Box and making you "be happy" with just that. Feels like the movie " the village" you cannot go out into the woods.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 09:44 PM
    4.7 for the Storm doesn't have flick scrolling or threaded sms..
    10-29-09 09:49 PM
    You are aware that your Tour Multi-Task? And its not a deal breaker, its a perfect example of RIM putting you in the Box and making you "be happy" with just that. Feels like the movie " the village" you cannot go out into the woods.

Wow, that is really deep.
    10-29-09 11:37 PM
    OS 5.0 added some additional APIs for 3rd-Party app developers to hook into. For example, apps can now directly access the video camera. Additionally, apps can now use the volume buttons while the app isn't in focus.

It's not groundbreaking, but it will lead to better apps.
    10-30-09 12:21 AM
    I don't see upgrading the OS any different on a BB as on a computer. Every version of Windows gets a new paint job, and adds some glitter to draw you in. They make some changes to adjust for security and hardware evolution, and then addresses a few main customer complaints.

That's it. When was the last time Windows crashed even though you have little to no other software installed? OS5 doesn't look much different, but it's not about looks. It's about battery life, using the proessor more efficiently, being more handy with apps. I've never seen anyone complain that the OS itself is a memory leak. That's 3rd party problems.

Lots of people go with OSX instead of Windows because it's different. But look at OSX vs OS2? Remember that old POS. Looks just like the new one. Except for much updated graphics and multitasking. Nobody expects anything more out of that because they have a sturdy, reliable, and safe OS.

While I'd believe RIM is in a low point right now, it's not because they don't have a quality product, it's because they've chosen stability and functionality (usually) over glamour and appealing to a wide stupid consumer.

10-30-09 02:23 AM

i can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, yes i know my Tour multi-tasks, which is why it's more prone to memory leaks, not from the OS itself but because of third party apps trying to work together.
    10-30-09 08:55 AM
    Waste of time, while RIM tries to figure out there OS issues the rest of the competition continues to release new update OS that are more productive. I am going to take a break from Blackberry for a while and go to a Android phone and give that a shot.
    10-30-09 09:01 AM
    i havent felt the need to upgrade but my tour has the "flick" feature on 4.7 I'm waiting for the official release because maybe thats the reason why BBM5 sucks so much right now.
    10-30-09 10:00 AM
    This guy speaks the truth. Cut the BS and get to the chase.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqbj314-R68&hl=en&gl=CA&client=mv-google

Last edited by noized77; 10-30-09 at 12:14 PM.
    10-30-09 12:09 PM
    5.0 bla bla bla... Bottom line here is the "strangling of a dolphin" is completely hilariuos. So worth hitting this thread.
    10-30-09 12:51 PM
    Has it ever occurred to those of you who do nothing but bash RIM and whine, whine, whine that the majority of BB users may not want or need a pretty toy, but rather a solid phone/communications device that is reliable and gets the job done? If you hate RIM so much, then for heaven's sake get rid of your BB's, go buy the pretty toys you want, fill them up with fart apps and ride off happily into the sunset.
    Spoken like someone that can't see the forest because of the trees. BB is falling behind. The days of relying on business customers are over. Android and iPhone have solid corporate offerings. At my employer (Fortune 500 company), our IT supports all platforms and by far, the migration is away from BB, especially in the executive ranks.

The fact is, other platforms are doing a better job at communications (which includes social networking) than BB. BB still thinks its an e-mail pager device.

BB is falling behind...
    10-30-09 01:39 PM
    Falling behind? Where's the statistic? Last time I heard, RIM and apple are top marketshare holder with RIM at the top. Unless you meant falling behind in Media corp then I agree.

10-30-09 01:57 PM
    Falling behind? Where's the statistic? Last time I heard, RIM and apple are top marketshare holder with RIM at the top. Unless you meant falling behind in Media corp then I agree.

Falling behind in terms of innovation and advancements with the OS. Market share is a lagging indicator in any industry. It's a snapshot that does not give a picture of the overall global direction of said industry.

As a professional strategist and intelligence director, my job is to look into the future to determine what needs to be done now.

If 5.0 is the best RIM can do, then that future doesn't look so bright...
    10-30-09 02:05 PM
    Falling behind in terms of innovation and advancements with the OS. Market share is a lagging indicator in any industry. It's a snapshot that does not give a picture of the overall global direction of said industry.

As a professional strategist and intelligence director, my job is to look into the future to determine what needs to be done now.

If 5.0 is the best RIM can do, then that future doesn't look so bright...
    What does a phone need to do in the future? I mean other than make and receive calls, emails and text. Sure a nice package is always a plus, but what will make any one phone maker better than the top 4 phone makers, in the direction you are saying RIM and other should be heading?

Would RIM do better to have two lines of phones? One with all that RIM has been known for, and another without all the nailed down security options and more open to the everyday consumer?
    10-30-09 02:35 PM

Falling behind?

1) have you heard of "jailbreaking an iPhone" or "rooting a android".... to access the "inner workings of the phone from the phone".... try doing that on a BB... please tell me how...

2) Android, Windows Mobile, and Apple all allow you to store applications on the Memory cards (given apple doesnt have SD cards on the iPhone), and only thing RIM does is allow you to store "media" on the SD card.

3) by falling behind i am referring to "quality", not total units sold. McDonald's sells a sh*t load of hamburgers, but are they good??? nope! ! ! they are cheap. & with RIM and all of their BOGO free offers sure they'll move a ton of phones. What would happen if Palm offered a BOGO on the Pre, HTC/Google offered a BOGO and Android OS devices, and Apple offered a BOGO on the iphone..... the tables would turn?
    10-30-09 03:20 PM
    What does a phone need to do in the future? I mean other than make and receive calls, emails and text. Sure a nice package is always a plus, but what will make any one phone maker better than the top 4 phone makers, in the direction you are saying RIM and other should be heading?

Would RIM do better to have two lines of phones? One with all that RIM has been known for, and another without all the nailed down security options and more open to the everyday consumer?
    i would disagree with that ... what can RIM do to make their phones better?
    1) allow open development, and have FREE easy access to do it.
    2) allow people to access the inner workings of their phone easily - picture how much allow people to access and edit the radio files on the (unlocked) 9530 so you don't get the "EDGE flutter"...
    3) allow people to store applications on the SD cards.. .. .. if it would "slow the app down"... why doesn't it slow Video playing off the SD card down?!?!
    4)give customers the ability to choose how deep they dig, basic controls for basic users, and advanced settings for advanced users, or people trouble shooting.
    10-30-09 03:27 PM
    Has it ever occurred to those of you who do nothing but bash RIM and whine, whine, whine that the majority of BB users may not want or need a pretty toy, but rather a solid phone/communications device that is reliable and gets the job done? If you hate RIM so much, then for heaven's sake get rid of your BB's, go buy the pretty toys you want, fill them up with fart apps and ride off happily into the sunset.
    Dude i am not complaing ... i am asking a simple question

" is OS 5.0 worth all of the hype it is getting " simple YES or NO question... i am not bashing RIM or BB's ....
    10-30-09 03:29 PM
    i can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, yes i know my Tour multi-tasks, which is why it's more prone to memory leaks, not from the OS itself but because of third party apps trying to work together.
    not really being sarcastic but i know alot of people do not know their BB cannot multi- task..... and YES it is from the OS, if i have 10 windows open on my PC my computer doesn't have a "memory leak"... if my buddy has several apps running on his 'droid (w/ cupcake) he doesn't have a memory leak and neither did either of my Win Mo units..... i know the PC is a different story, bigger RAM/ROM and faster CPU but the point is even when you scale it down the "ratio" will scale down as well... and BB multi-tasking at any level = memory leak.
    10-30-09 03:34 PM
    OS 5.0 added some additional APIs for 3rd-Party app developers to hook into. For example, apps can now directly access the video camera. Additionally, apps can now use the volume buttons while the app isn't in focus.

It's not groundbreaking, but it will lead to better apps.
    you know the program edocrab??? works with 4.6/4.7 OS... it self access the camera....
    10-30-09 03:38 PM
    you know the program edocrab??? works with 4.6/4.7 OS... it self access the camera....
    I think you missed the "video" portion of accessing the camera. 5.0 allows access to using the video as a scanner.

10-30-09 06:33 PM
    I think everybody has missed the whole point of OS 5.0.

While sure there are some new features (many more than mentioned in this thread), the driving force behind 5.0 was to put all devices on the same OS platform so that development will be more universal between devices. Third party apps won't be hindered by the need to recompile or recode to make their apps useable from one device to the next.

10-30-09 06:40 PM
    if you are SMSing that many people that you need threaded SMS to keep conversations in order then i'd have to suggest go out and meet poeple..
    who's texting complete strangers? Not sure what going out and meeting people has to do with anything. My lady's biggest complaint about her new Tour was no threaded SMS which she had on her Treo. So something that may be small for you is important to others.
    Last edited by ReggieTee; 10-30-09 at 08:33 PM.
    10-30-09 06:45 PM
    Hmm why is the op complaining about 5.0????? When its released, don't upgrade.... End of story
    10-30-09 08:10 PM
    Spoken like someone that can't see the forest because of the trees. BB is falling behind. The days of relying on business customers are over. Android and iPhone have solid corporate offerings. At my employer (Fortune 500 company), our IT supports all platforms and by far, the migration is away from BB, especially in the executive ranks.

BB is falling behind...
    What are they migrating to? Do you have any statistics to back this up? Or is this yet another isolated incident where the 47 people you work around are doing this, so it *must* be a nationwide trend. I can definantely see a lot of consumers frustrated by RIMs recent work. Though I don't have contact with many of them, I don't see many people who use a phone solely for work having any problem with the long lived stability, security, and structure that the BB has. That may change, and I'm not saying it isn't changing, but I have yet to see numbers that support this and I have yet to see an OS or phone that people are flocking to and trusting enough to change the scene, especially on the corporate business sector.

People will always want to see if the grass is greener somewhere else, but that doesn't mean that it is.
    10-30-09 08:38 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD