...if Apple came out with a solution to allow you to cut and paste, provide a back casing that opened so that you could remove the battery yourself, and offered an email client that rivaled BBerries along with MMS? Would you switch over to the dark side?

Don't get me wrong... I love my Bberries, and have owned 3 already, but something about the iPhone's fancy user interface and amazing multi-media capabilities is really starting to tempt me. Now I know people say if you want to get things done, you get a berry, and if you like multi-media, you get the iPhone, but it seems there is not much the iPhone needs to do now to close that gap to the point where there are no longer any real advantages to owning a berry, no? I mean, how difficult can it be to figure out how to provide cut and paste and MMS capability? I think the Storm was built to try to bridge that gap, but in reality, if you look at all the reviews, they pretty much all say that it falls short of being a real iPhone killer or even a traditional Blackberry killer (since many still say the Bold is better execution than the Storm).

So what do you guys think? Is RIM in trouble? Me personally...unless RIM comes out with a better phone in a year and half, when my contract comes due, I hate to say it, but I may be a "look at i-phone" convert too. Just seems that all of RIMs new products (Pearl flip, Storm, and Bold) still fall short of the iPhone's appeal to the general public.
    12-11-08 11:27 AM
    I would need:

1. MMS
    2. Not have to jailbreak it to be useful
    3. Encryption for data at rest.
    4. Cut/paste
    5. Full qwerty in landscape
    6. suretype in portrait

Then I would consider it. Until them I can't use it for work and for personal use it's just annoying. These missing, basic, features are why I returned it. I don't want to carry a berry and iPhone like a lot of people I work with do.
    12-11-08 11:41 AM
    I would need:

1. MMS
    2. Not have to jailbreak it to be useful
    3. Encryption for data at rest.
    4. Cut/paste
    5. Full qwerty in landscape
    6. suretype in portrait

Then I would consider it. Until them I can't use it for work and for personal use it's just annoying. These missing, basic, features are why I returned it. I don't want to carry a berry and iPhone like a lot of people I work with do.
    I would need all of this, plus a removable battery, removable upgradeable memory and the whole package on veri.....nevermind.
    12-11-08 11:46 AM
    People drive different cars and I think same situation will exist in cell phone market. I need a full size SUV for my extended family, and some fit in a Honda civic. Plus, it's always a matter of taste.

I for one like "traditional" keyboard in my BB and have little use for multimedia. There are plenty of people like me. Just like there are a lot of people for whom multimedia is more important.
    12-11-08 11:57 AM
    All of what syscrash and fonebrkr said, along with a physical qwerty.

Maybe then. But if RIM came out with a phone that looked JUST like the HTC Touch Diamond Pro, I'd pick that one over an iPhone look-alike. In a heartbeat.
    12-11-08 11:58 AM
    I need...
    1. Push e-mail integration with Domino Server.
    2. AppStore opened up to everyone instead of having to get Apple's approval.
    3. Turn-by-Turn GPS application
    4. Reliable 3G connection
    12-11-08 12:09 PM
    I would need somebody to buy it for me and then pay my monthly charges and then pay for my apps. Then I would use an iphone.
    12-11-08 12:12 PM
    I would need somebody to buy it for me and then pay my monthly charges and then pay for my apps. Then I would use an iphone.
    .....Ditto

I'll try out the iTouch for all of the other cool features. (come on Christmas!)
    12-11-08 12:14 PM
    On the contrary, I love my berry. I'm a self admitted apple fanboy, but I find the iphone too restricted in its functionality to be useful to me.
    And while I can use my berry on the go, I feel as if using an iphone properly requires me to stop and focus on what I'm doing
    The berry provides quick solutions to my problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 12:48 PM
    Not a chance. I spent a LOT of time futzing with an iPhone before I decided between it and a Curve. Even with all the improvements you state, it's a toy to me without a qwerty that has real keys. The touch screen leaves me cold.
    12-11-08 01:17 PM
    The simple fact that it doesn't have a keyboard is going to prevent a lot of people from switching, let alone any other reasons.
    12-11-08 01:19 PM
    I'm waiting to see what other models they come up with in the future. I don't like touch screens much, so unless they came out with a nice looking phone with a full qwerty keyboard and better features than I might consider switching.

But then again I might just stick with blackberry because I love everything about mine.
    12-11-08 01:32 PM
    It still needs buttons.

Touchscreens are a no-go for me.
    12-11-08 01:50 PM
    Pretty interesting that everyone is still such Berry loyalists. Thanks for all your comments guys. I personally got the Pearl because don't like full qwerty keyboards on my cell phone because I think they look too much like they belong in a pocket protector, and don't like the way they offset the phone dialing keys to the left of the keyboard. I also can type faster on my Pearl with the suretype than I can with the full keyboard on my work's 8700 with the full qwerty. I guess it all comes down to personal preferences. Good to see RIM is alive and well with many....
    12-11-08 02:59 PM
    Even if I made a list of things I wanted in an iPhone, and Apple made it happen, I still can't guarantee I'd even want to give up the BB.

12-11-08 03:09 PM
    If I didn't have to be tied to ATT I would maybe have an IPhone.
    Until then,I will keep using my Touch and Berry together.

The Ipod Touch has turned out for me to be almost indespensible as a tool and toy at the same time.

I like that they compliment each other but I understand the Iphone pretty much sucks as a phone.

1st things 1st!
    12-11-08 03:54 PM
    no way .i donot do touch screen and i don't need more multimedia.my curve meets my needs perfectly.
    12-11-08 03:59 PM
    I just wouldn't deal with the touchscreen. Gotta have the keyboard.
    12-11-08 06:05 PM
    I'm a keyboarder. Iphone is slick and all, but imma stick with my BaBy.

12-11-08 07:54 PM
    It was a - Eh, "sort of" close call with me and an iPhone, when I went shopping around for a new truly smart mobile device a few months back.

My very initial thought: it's an Apple device (and I loves my Mac -) so Duh: probably plays well with my computing platform of choice.
    True and all, BUT - several shortcomings I HATED.

The 3G iPhone has a battery life of a mayfly. And NO user-swappable battery port. Boo.
    Browser is amazing. But Jesus Christ - no copy/paste? Huh?
    MMS? Nope. Push eMail? Uh-uh.
    And (Drumroll please ONLY available on disgusting AT&T's "awesome" network.
    And check the pricing... Nooo thank you.

My other consideration was the Curve on VZW. Oh, complete agreement, they're a bunch of greedy bassa's - but the service rocks, the BlackBerry did everything I could almost hope for (note to RIM: get that Mac compatability out 1st of the new year, please - lots of professionals like myself use Apple products TOO!), and it's both fun AND a productivity tool. Sweet.

That said, things may shape up in the near future with the iPhone and the latest versions of BlackBerry devices offered, being even closer in abilitys.

Both companys are aware of the others strengths, and both will be competing for your dollar. But I think for now, the BlackBerry has the cards stacked in it's favor. It's available on a wider range of carriers, offers a more diverse model range (form factor, and trying to break into the touchscreen market) and has already established itself as a business tool - which is important, as general consumer tastes tend to follow the fashion ebb & flow, while in the business community, there tends to be more "solidity" with an accepted and grounded product.

SO:I think I'll stick it out with my BB, very much enjoying my choice.
    But a few thoughts for RIM on future improvements I personally think would be welcome:
    *Cross-platform compatability!
    Yes, mentioned this already- Jesus-Phone does it, so should you.
    *Improve.Browser.Seriously. Need full HTML support, full downloadability, and full HTML eMail and attachment handling.IMAP would be nice too.
    *Get that apps store up and running. People love tweeking their mobile device-of-choice with all manner of add-ons and doo-dads. Maybe you should partner with some of the big names in BB enhancements. Extra influx of cash is always nice, and we get instantly downloadable bling?! Very Cool.

Ok- nuff rambling.
    BB- yay. iPhone - Meh. (For now).
    12-11-08 09:23 PM
    Probably the only reason I look at the iPhone is the browser. Aside from that, I like having a tactile feel for the keyboard for my fingers to hit. Plus, it's been a staple in many businesses here that a BlackBerry seems more "professional".
    12-11-08 09:30 PM
    .....Ditto

I'll try out the iTouch for all of the other cool features. (come on Christmas!)
    Ditto #2 ... And if nobody gets me one, I'll just make that my gift to myself. I hate to say it, but I'll be "that guy" that walks around with a BB and an Apple device.

Sad, but true.
    12-11-08 09:36 PM
    Does anybody else feel like the iPhone was meant for high school kids and Paris Hilton wannabes? Apple obviously tried to push the 3G into the business market with Exchange compatibility and all, but I still cant take people with iPhones seriously.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not an Apple hater, (love my touch) I just can't understand why people love the iPhone so much.

Don't mean to **** anybody off, just my .02...

(Regardless, I'd rather have ANYTHING than the 700w brick I've been lugging around for the past 2 years!)
    12-12-08 12:47 AM
    i went from an iphone to a storm...

not regretting it...
    12-12-08 01:01 AM
    I have an iPod Touch and Ill admit its a nifty little toy, but thats just it - its a toy. Having to use that thing on a daily basis as a phone too would drive me f'n crazy. I'm still acclimating to the touch screen on my Storm and I'm startling to like it a lot more but an iPhone?

no steeeeeking way jose!!
    12-12-08 01:04 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD