I'm finding it harder and harder to make ends meet financially....which is making it harder and harder to justify what I'm paying for wireless service. I love my BlackBerry, but I hate the bill. Yes, I'm unfortunately stuck under contract with Verizon. Yes, I could save potentially $30/mo by switching carries. I still jut can't justify paying the early termination fee. I could save $15/mo by not carrying a BB. I don't do much emailing or set appointments in the calendar anyway. But I'm so used to a QWERTY keyboard, and I'm a text message addict (why I got the BB in the first place, I admit I did little research until after my purchase).

I have heard before that you can get some carriers to pay your ETF if you switch. I don't know how true that is, or how easily persuaded they are.

I'm really torn as to what to do. I either need convinced that the money I'm spending is well worth it, or good (not nasty) advice on why and how to get out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 02:08 PM
    Well when I left sprint for tmo I decided to pay the early term fee because I figured out that I would save more money over the two years with tmo. So it was worth it for me to switch

08-05-08 02:12 PM
    I'm finding it harder and harder to make ends meet financially....which is making it harder and harder to justify what I'm paying for wireless service. I love my BlackBerry, but I hate the bill. Yes, I'm unfortunately stuck under contract with Verizon. Yes, I could save potentially $30/mo by switching carries. I still jut can't justify paying the early termination fee. I could save $15/mo by not carrying a BB. I don't do much emailing or set appointments in the calendar anyway. But I'm so used to a QWERTY keyboard, and I'm a text message addict (why I got the BB in the first place, I admit I did little research until after my purchase).

I have heard before that you can get some carriers to pay your ETF if you switch. I don't know how true that is, or how easily persuaded they are.

I'm really torn as to what to do. I either need convinced that the money I'm spending is well worth it, or good (not nasty) advice on why and how to get out.

First question is how long to do have left on your current contract? If keeping the data plan until your contract is up is cheaper in the long run that paying the termination fee then I would stick. Obviously I would go the other way if its benefits. You can always switch to another carrier and not pay the ETF until you come into some extra money.

The last thing is which you may want to look into, you can have someone take over your contract. If they are approved for service, then they are able to release you from liability and the other person takes over. Some people will like this because they get the balance of your contract rather than starting a new one from scratch. Maybe if you know someone thinking of switching to VZW or whatever. Hope this helps.
    08-05-08 02:15 PM
    I'm under contract until the end of 2009 I believe. Unfortunately I don't know anyone currently shopping for service with VZW. I think no matter what I do, I'm going to end up in a hole.

08-05-08 02:38 PM
    I'm under contract until the end of 2009 I believe. Unfortunately I don't know anyone currently shopping for service with VZW. I think no matter what I do, I'm going to end up in a hole.

What plan do you have thru Verizon. I have the 450min. talk, 500 SMS, unlimited Blackberry(BIS), insurance. My bill is $79.79 a month every time and my Berry is hacked and tweaked...
    08-05-08 02:44 PM
    Can you just cancel the BB service part of your plan?
    08-05-08 02:49 PM

Truthfully, if you can afford tmo service and its good for your area, then I would say port your number out and pay a little on the ETF here and there until its gone. As long as you pay some here and there, it won't go to collections.
    08-05-08 02:52 PM
    Can you just cancel the BB service part of your plan?
    You could cancel the Data if you want. Don't let people tell you that you gotta have data with a VZW BB. Initially, they sign you up for data, but you can always call and have it removed or remove it online and have data block on your phone.
    08-05-08 02:53 PM
    It's actually illegal for them to supposedly LURE YOU by promising to pay for your termination fees if you switch to their company. I remember a company 2 years ago advertising like crazy at the mall they would do this no matter how many phones you had. Since then it has become a NONO
    08-05-08 02:55 PM
    Try to keep a log for a week or so, see how often you actually use the data as opposed to just texting.
    We run my son's Pearl without the data plan. He has unlimited text and I can still get him new ringers, themes, wallpapers and apps by using DM.

Have you called Verizon to find out how much the ETF would be?
    08-05-08 04:26 PM
    I have a friend who called Verizon and told them that he was being moved over-seas with the Navy and couldn't find someone else to take over his contract. They let him out of it and he still had a year left on the contract. Needless to say, he didn't move over-seas. He moved to CT. I know it's a little dishonest, but ... if you're desperate...
    08-05-08 06:16 PM
    You could try www.cellswapper.com.
    08-05-08 10:09 PM
    Good luck!
    08-05-08 10:13 PM
    um

sometimes reps like those annoying ones at the mall have extra cash

i had a TMO rep offer to pay for my ETF if i switched from vzw

just schmooze and bs with them

if youre really serious they can might cover your fee's

good luck!
    08-05-08 10:14 PM
    Honestly it's not a choice anymore... $$$ before Berry. My addiction is great, but w/o $$$, you won't be able to keep the addiction. Too bad Verizon won't allow you to remove the data plan.
    08-05-08 10:28 PM
    If I was to cancel the data plan, for me, the BB would be rendered useless. I use the web all the time, as well as Beejive, BBM, etc.

I can't be on less than an unlimited text package. Tried that once. $200+ phone bill. My friends haven't all learned how to make phone calls yet. Probably 3000 texts go thru my phone in a month.

I looked at Tmo and for the # of minutes I'd need to avoid overages, I'd be paying more. Their service is also sub par through a lot of the area I live and work in.

I did some research. There isn't a plan in the world that would save me the cost of a new phone, or an ETF fee. I compared all the major carriers online last night.

So, here's to keeping the BB because despite the $90ish/mo bill, in the end, it will cost me the least.

08-06-08 05:37 AM
    Research pays off.

I'm sorry you couldn't find a way to save some money on your BB costs.
    08-06-08 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD