Okay so we go to Alltel today to get my oldest son another phone (motorokr v6m) and when he was trying to assign mp3's as ringtones there was no "apply as" option. The file details section listed apply possible as "no".

So I looked for updates to his phone and there were none.

So I get my other sons phone, also a motorokr v6m, to check why his has the option and the new doesn't. Well stupid me, I did something I should have never done. I checked for updates and there was one. It updated and lo and behold, now he doesn't have the option to apply as.

Someone help me get this darn update off this phone!
    07-28-08 12:12 AM
    Some carriers lock the ability to apply mp3s as ringtones unless they were purchased from the carrier. I know that Telus does that with its none-smartphones and I believe Verizon may do that as well. Perhaps other Alltel users can shed some light on this.

There are ways around this, either using Bitpm or seem edits. This page may be helpful:
    Mark_Venture's Verizon Phone Info Page - Home
    07-28-08 12:17 AM
    Some carriers lock the ability to apply mp3s as ringtones unless they were purchased from the carrier. I know that Telus does that with its none-smartphones and I believe Verizon may do that as well. Perhaps other Alltel users can shed some light on this.

There are ways around this, either using Bitpm or seem edits. This page may be helpful:
    Mark_Venture's Verizon Phone Info Page - Home

All of this happened after I did the update on the older motorokr. Is there a way to remove the update?

Gah! Why can't it be as easy as the blackberry!
    07-28-08 12:23 AM
    Try changing the extension from .mp3 to .qpc, the link above will also get you pointed in the right direction.
    GL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 12:23 AM
    Sigh, from what I'm reading after searching it looks like I'm gonna have to mod the phone just to get the feature back........

Damn Alltel and their stupid updates!
    07-28-08 01:04 AM
    Golly, that sucks. Why would they have an update that locks up features they already have available. I never thought of updating the OS of a phone until I got my berry.

07-28-08 01:18 AM
    Golly, that sucks. Why would they have an update that locks up features they already have available. I never thought of updating the OS of a phone until I got my berry.

A way to make money by making the customer buy their ringtones at a whopping $3.99 each rather than letting the customer load their own.
    07-28-08 01:20 AM
    Sad but true, good news is the Mark Venture site will give you a lot of good info, and moto phones are absolutely nice to hack up. It does take some work though. Welcome to VerAltell...
    you can also get a cheap copy of motorola phone tools on amazon..
    07-28-08 01:46 AM
    Do I need the motorola phone tools? I know I'm going to have to do a SEEM edit but does it require motorola phone tools in order to accomplish it?

Messing with the BB OS was a piece of cake compared to this!

My son just asked me since I messed up his firmware if he can get another phone. Lol. I had to break the news to him that it didn't matter what phone he got it would more than likely have that feature blocked.

I guess I have a lot of reading and studying to do so I don't end up bricking their phones.

07-28-08 02:02 AM
    Okay so we go to Alltel today to get my oldest son another phone (motorokr v6m) and when he was trying to assign mp3's as ringtones there was no "apply as" option. The file details section listed apply possible as "no".

So I looked for updates to his phone and there were none.

So I get my other sons phone, also a motorokr v6m, to check why his has the option and the new doesn't. Well stupid me, I did something I should have never done. I checked for updates and there was one. It updated and lo and behold, now he doesn't have the option to apply as.

Someone help me get this darn update off this phone!
    Sorry to confirm what everyone else is telling you but alltel has locked down their Bluetooth ringtones. Copy right issues and they're just greedy. Only ones that are still capable are smart phones. Nothing you can do. 3lve yet to find a program to hack it but you never know

07-28-08 02:06 AM
    I found instructions on how to hack it with a SEEM edit but geez, it looks and sounds complicated!

By bluetooth ringtones do you mean like any ringtone loaded through sms text downloading and media card transfer?

'Cause at this point no ringtones will work except those that were factory loaded.

Maybe I'm just to used to my BB....I think my smartphone made me dumb to regular phones! LOL

07-28-08 02:20 AM
    You don't need mpt, I just found it easier to learn on. Bitpim, p2k, qpst, and the drivers for the phones should be all you need. Most everything is pretty available.
    Just a bit of work, if I remember right, you could clip an mp3, rename it .qpc and attach it to an email or mms. It's definitely been a while.

07-28-08 02:26 AM
    I've tried changing file extensions on files before (the docstogo extension comes to mind) with windows vista home premium. I couldn't get the extension to change no matter what I tried. If I remember right I had no problem doing it with XP.

Is there something I'm missing there or is it a security feature within vista not allowing me to do it?

07-28-08 02:36 AM
    I don't know vista, I'll give up XP when they pry my cold dead hands from it
    There was an online site also, phonezoo I think, that would be a good place to start.

07-28-08 02:41 AM
    A way to make money by making the customer buy their ringtones at a whopping $3.99 each rather than letting the customer load their own.
    well yeah i realize that, im just saying its lame
    this would only work on someone who accidently upgraded their software
    maybe you can downgrade both phones
    07-28-08 09:14 AM
    I don't know vista, I'll give up XP when they pry my cold dead hands from it
    There was an online site also, phonezoo I think, that would be a good place to start.

Phonezoo is where most of the ringtones came from.

I'll try to fix this later today maybe.
    07-28-08 10:23 AM
    I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies though my suggestion would to check out Modmymoto site. They are usually pretty good at finding ways around stuff like that.
    07-28-08 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD