I will be traveling to Germany next week and I dont want to use my data cuz my phone bill go insane. Is there any map that can help me on that?
    03-27-12 04:40 PM
    A physical paper one? I don't believe any of the major navigation companies wrote offline maps for OS7. I know Garmin had one for OS5.
    03-27-12 04:53 PM
    A physical paper one? I don't believe any of the major navigation companies wrote offline maps for OS7. I know Garmin had one for OS5.
    Im runnin OS 6, does that change anything?
    03-28-12 04:14 PM
    I am not aware of any offline GPS navigation system. I have been searching for a long time since I travel quite a lot. That's a big lack on Blackberry. Great solutions exist on IOS and Android. Still they don't justify leaving aside BB but it would be nice to have equivalent solutions.
    04-09-12 09:18 AM
    Give this a shot, maybe helpful. TopoExplorer for BlackBerry
    04-24-12 08:16 AM
    There are some COOL OFFLINE MAPS for Blackberry Phones and also the Playbook! They are FREE and I have been using them for years! I also took this on a cruise to the Caribbean on an old out-of-service Blackberry phone I had (no SIM card or data plan at all) and was able to use the GPS inside with the OFFLINE MAP app and was able to track everything!!!! So BEFORE anyone says Blackberries have a big "lack" in that department, THINK TWICE!!!

First let me introduce you to TREKBUDDY, available for *both* Blackberry phones (all OS versions since 4.2) and also for the Playbook (as a side-loaded app). This is an awesome map and lets you view OFFLINE maps that you download using various free software. Here is the relevant link to various releases:

http://www.trekbuddy.net/releases/1.1.1/index.html

You want maps for Germany that you can download and use OFFLINE with Trekbuddy? Look no further than this website which converts Google Maps to Trekbuddy:

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps

If you want to create any map from many different sources and of multiple levels, I use this amazing software:

Mobile Atlas Creator found here: Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC)

On Playbook you have TrekBuddy available as well (you download the BAR from TrekBuddy site and side-load, as it has not yet been submitted to Appworld).

Finally, there is also an app available on Playbook's AppWorld called "Osmand" which is actually a ported Android app which is AWESOME!!! You can actually download Mapnik maps to use offline, directly WITHIN the app!!!!

I just tried this today in the car. I was playing with "Osmand" on my Playbook before I left home and was able to download all my region, at different "zoom" levels from Mapnik to use offline. Osmand stored all of these maps, and when I went out I was able to see all these maps and my GPS location on the Playbook! NO data connection needed AT ALL!!!!

So folks, there *ARE* cool offline map apps for Blackberry, you just have to know where to look and what to do with them. Definitely a MUST HAVE for any traveller! I routinely download the regional maps of areas I go to, so I can have portable maps of anywhere I travel and overlay my location with GPS. If I could, I would download the ENTIRE WORLD at ALL ZOOM LEVELS.... but that would take probably 100 gigs and a week just to download!
    04-27-12 09:17 PM
    I remember TrekBuddy. Time to go check it out again...
    04-27-12 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD