Thought it was interesting that out of my 30 BBM contacts 10 have some type of subscription (with most using a custom PIN). I'm well aware that this is as relevant as someone in Toronto stating "I saw more Passports today than iphones, therefore the Passport is outselling the iPhone". Just thought that 10/30 was much more than expected!

What I don't understand is why BlackBerry wouldn't at least offer an option for a 1 year charge of $12 or even $9.99 if the profits are the same. They'd probably make more money this way for those that are using a credit card like myself. Many businesses around me have new policies where you must purchase a minimum of $10 to use a credit card, not to mention gas stations charging a couple cents more if you use a credit card.

My point is that the credit card company is going to take a cut of the sale and I'm not sure if it is a fixed percent or not. If it is fixed then it doesn't make sense that small businesses are requiring a minimum purchase if you are using a credit card. With that said, wouldn't BlackBerry not only gain more subscribers not willing to add a monthly payment (I was one and eventually caved when the price went to $0.99) but would pay $X amount for the year but also receive more profit from this due to the credit card companies taking their cut.

I guess someone that knows how the credit card companies actually charge would have a better idea. Just some thoughts. I definitely don't need a custom PIN, but grabbed one in case by some odd chance another person wanted what I chose. Anyway, I don't need this and am really just supporting BlackBerry and was thinking about this as it is such a small charge on the credit card.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 06:36 AM
    Agreed, good idea

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 06:54 AM
    I've also been waiting for an annual subscription or bundle offer to come out. I really hate recurring monthly costs and try to avoid them whenever I can, but I'm more than willing to pay $10 and be set for a year. Out of sight, out of mind.... whereas a recurring monthly cost shows up on every statement going forward, etc.

Even a $50 lifetime plan or something like that would be a cool option to see. Lifetime isn't likely, but some other options should be available.
    05-07-15 07:09 AM
    It's been a long time since I've worked in a job where I had to deal with credit card transactions. Back then different companies had different rates but it was usually somewhere between 1-3%
    05-07-15 09:23 AM
    It's been a long time since I've worked in a job where I had to deal with credit card transactions. Back then different companies had different rates but it was usually somewhere between 1-3%
    And it didn't matter if it was $1 or $100? Same %? I only ask because all of the small business owners (whatever of them are left, but no politics) do not allow credit card purchases unless you spend a minimum of at least $10. Was just curious about that.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 10:39 AM
    And it didn't matter if it was $1 or $100? Same %? I only ask because all of the small business owners (whatever of them are left, but no politics) do not allow credit card purchases unless you spend a minimum of at least $10. Was just curious about that.

Posted via CB10
    The percentage was the same regardless. What it comes down to is the actual margin or amount of money the retailer makes.

As an example - If an item is sold for $100, that amount is not pure profit. Out of that comes the acquisition cost, employee pay, operating expenses, insurance etc. You may be left with $10 net profit after all of that. Now if you have a credit card merchant fee of 3%, take another $3 off. On some really low margin items, once the merchant fee is factored in, they don't make much money at all.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    05-07-15 10:56 AM