IMO, anyone who reads that and thinks he is directly slamming Apple has some bias issues. That would be like saying that since he only named the XBOX and PlayStation, that he is endorsing the goodness of the Wii...
    05-10-10 08:09 PM
    Stuff like the iPad and Xbox are making people dumber and lazier.
    I remember my Dad telling me how his grade school teacher said the same thing about ball-point pens
    05-10-10 09:01 PM
    I remember my Dad telling me how his grade school teacher said the same thing about ball-point pens
    He was right though wasn't he?
    05-11-10 04:16 AM

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter."

Yikes. He has displayed a growing penchant for irritation with dissenting opinion, so much so that he frequently calls them out by name. Statements like this, combined with his love for the "Fairness Doctrine," (which is oxymoronic, as it is anything but fair), are beginning to concern me.
    I thought he made a good point there - watching some of the Twitter streams and news feeds relating to the current hung parliament here in the UK, some very strange opinions did seem to be gaining 'traction' as Obama put it.

You could see this manifest in the Facebook arguments in particular that are still raging hard and fast on the subject. I thought this was very perceptive of him to notice and articulate this point.
    05-11-10 04:24 AM
    I thought he made a good point there - watching some of the Twitter streams and news feeds relating to the current hung parliament here in the UK, some very strange opinions did seem to be gaining 'traction' as Obama put it.

You could see this manifest in the Facebook arguments in particular that are still raging hard and fast on the subject. I thought this was very perceptive of him to notice and articulate this point.
    I don't believe he was referring to your hung parliament and comments surrounding it, as he was speaking to students in Virginia. If you follow him at all, it is apparent that he was complaining about opinions that differ from his. If you took this statement by itself, with out anything to compare it to, then sure, it sounds rather benign. But he has a history of belittling dissenting opinions, and when you listen to him give that speech, rather than read it, you will notice that particular portion of his speech solicited laughter. They knew just what he meant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 07:02 AM
    Ah I see, thanks for the heads up.

Shame he wasn't speaking in more general terms, I was beginning to like him!
    05-11-10 07:19 AM
    great conversation we got going here
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 05-11-10 at 08:54 AM.
    05-11-10 07:33 AM
    I agree, thank you for your contribution
    05-11-10 08:37 AM
    As a High School Math Teacher I 100% agree with you. I amount of time lost due to cell phones in the classroom is crazy. Cell phones are one of the biggest issues in schools today. Students' text message constantly, parents do nothing about it, and school are left powerless to contain the problem by parents that allow their students to abuse policies and not holding them responsible.
    "Wow man, cool thing, may I see it? Thanks. You'll have it back at the end of class."

Worked for me when I was teaching. After the third time, none of them were using the phones again.

I also set an example by using my phone as a clock ONLY while in class.
    05-11-10 09:37 AM
    heres the CNN link of Obama calls the iPod technology and things of this nature a distraction to learning. Obama can't work an iPod. Really? � SciTechBlog - CNN.com Blogs

I'm guessing our presidents loves that dull UI cause he can't be distracted by a nice screen and tempting apps

News Headlines

. lol (which is a good thing in his situation). I wonder how he feels about OpenGL hahaha.
    I normally don't agree with Obama but in this case I do...except the only thing they'll be taking are my guns from my cold dead hands, they can have my blackberry lol
    05-11-10 09:39 AM
    When the O man made this rant did it say "Sent from Blackberry" in the signature line?

What a hypocrite!
    05-11-10 02:01 PM
    Hahahahahahahaha.

05-12-10 07:59 AM
    I understand why Obama's saying, but I don't really agree with it.

We shouldn't be blaming technology for our short comings/short attention spans. It is entirely possible to integrate technology in our lives and still do well. The problem is, it isn't managed well, especially with children.

It's SO easy to blame technology, but I don't feel that's the problem here. People need to learn how to manage their own use and set some boundaries.
    05-12-10 08:26 AM
    He is just scared of the fact that more people are monitoring Fox News on their cells and getting the "real and unbiased news" of where he is taking our country.
    05-12-10 10:23 PM
    He is just scared of the fact that more people are monitoring Fox News on their cells and getting the "real and unbiased news" of where he is taking our country.
    FOX? Real? Unbiased.

Laugh of the night.
    05-13-10 12:18 AM
    I understand why Obama's saying, but I don't really agree with it.

We shouldn't be blaming technology for our short comings/short attention spans. It is entirely possible to integrate technology in our lives and still do well. The problem is, it isn't managed well, especially with children.

It's SO easy to blame technology, but I don't feel that's the problem here. People need to learn how to manage their own use and set some boundaries.
    Maybe we should be blaming technology:

Yes, the Internet is rotting your brain - Laura Miller - Salon.com
    05-14-10 12:22 PM
    Technology's just a tool like anything else. It all depends on the user and how they use it. The internet can be used to educate, and at the same time, can distract from education. Antibiotics can save lives, but recklessness with it can create "super bugs" that are immune to the most powerful drugs. Then there are more controversial examples like guns and nuclear technology.

05-14-10 01:17 PM
    Maybe he is a bb user lol

05-17-10 08:12 PM
    Maybe he is a bb user lol

05-17-10 08:43 PM
    Lol great pic

05-17-10 09:28 PM
    that's a photochop right? I'm pretty sure last time I checked he was running a souped up (security-wise) Bold, not a Curve.
    05-17-10 11:06 PM
    that's a photochop right? I'm pretty sure last time I checked he was running a souped up (security-wise) Bold, not a Curve.
    I think it's just an older picture from when he was still using the Curve.
    05-17-10 11:19 PM
    I'm pretty sure its was just an old pic

05-18-10 06:48 PM
    It's definetly older because it was during his 2008 campaign as you can see it
    clearly in the picture.
    05-19-10 05:17 PM
    Amusing how we try to take EVERY word a prez says literally, and color it based on whether we want to like him or not.

Personally, I read the transcript and all I came away with was an excellent point being made to the graduates.
    Education is the key to keeping these digital distractions in check..
    "Class of 2010, this is a period of breathtaking change, like few others in our history," he said. "We can't stop these changes, but we can channel them, we can shape them, we can adapt to them. And education is what can allow us to do so. It can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time."
    Not so much of a hit against technology, as it is a wakeup call to control how we use that technology by furthering our education. Given the drops Science and Engineering across the US, I think the point should be well received.
    05-25-10 02:26 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD