Don't you know that using facts and common sense isn't allowed in this forum? For shame!
    The common sense dictates that if the terrorist's iPhone was idtouch capable the device would be unlocked a few hours later from his death.

You know, the biometric security so innovative.

Posted with my loyal Z30
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-29-16 03:32 PM
    This attack seems to require a "crafted app", so it cannot be used to unlock this particular iPhone I guess.
    However, if one could smuggle such a "crafted app" into the appstore (which isn't that hard, we have already learned), it will "execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges" = game over.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206166
    https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/d...=CVE-2016-1757

I stick to BB10, because I don't like such vulnerabilities, but after waiting two years for a PlayBook 2, I just have ordered an iPad, sigh, seems we all have to make compromises (no no, of course I am excited).
    Thanks... my intention was more on the side of getting the joke in than hving researched on more of iOS' multiple bugs and vulns... :-D

Cheers!

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-29-16 04:29 PM
    If there had been touchID on this phone, they would've had a much easier time... just dig up the body.

Posted via CB10
    MacAbree... but true! ;-P

03-29-16 04:30 PM
    The two things are not even remotely equivalent. They're so far apart that's it's incredible to conceive how you came to this thoroughly ridiculous conclusion.
    Alrighty then.

Let's play a little game. I'll lay out a scenario, and you identify the parties.

There exist two entities: A and B

A figures out how to do something which B doesn't want A to do.

B asks A to spill the beans on how A did it.

A refuses.

B threatens legal action to compel A to spill the beans.

Who's A and who's B?

If there had been touchID on this phone, they would've had a much easier time... just dig up the body.
    You should be ashamed of yourself, for stealing common sense (and thunder) to make your point
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    03-29-16 05:34 PM
    Has something changed in the last couple of years, since the following CBC news story, or is there something I am not understanding?

"Peter Misek of the U.S.investment banking firm Jefferies says that despite reports alleging the NSA has been able to bypass the security measures intended to protect data on iPhones, BlackBerrys and Android devices, his company, based on conversations it has had with the NSA, is convinced that the security agency has not successfully cracked BlackBerry's custom cryptography.

We think it's NSA-proof, Misek told CBC's business program Lang & O'Leary Exchange. That security is so good, it takes four million years on brute compute force to hack it."

BB, Still the One
    Check out this. You might be in for a surprise.
    https://motherboard.vice.com/read/ca...lackberrys-too
    03-29-16 05:35 PM
    Keep in mind, it was an iPhone 5c, no touchID. iPhone security has increased since then with the security enclave. And what OS was it running?
    If it was fingerprint enabled, case wouldn't even exist.
    They have his fingerprint.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 06:37 PM
    This article also brings up Japanese-owned Israeli company Cellebrite whose website openly states that they can decrypt lpads and iphones, including 6 and 6s.
    For a complete list of phones, you have to register. So we cannot confirm BlackBerry, but it is likely they could do it.
    But for iphones, all of them, they openly claim they can do it. They offer it as a service. It must be true.
    03-29-16 06:40 PM
    No need. Chen has already stated that they would unlock it for them.
    Yes - but only for "reasonable, lawful access requests", not everything under the sun that the government might want to look at "just in case."

I know that reading comprehension is a skill few people seem to have today, but c'mon folks ... at least try.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-29-16 06:41 PM
    The common sense dictates that if the terrorist's iPhone was idtouch capable the device would be unlocked a few hours later from his death.

You know, the biometric security so innovative.

Posted with my loyal Z30
    Common sense says Touch ID would not have triggered on the corpse's finger (have you ever used it?) and the phone would have prompted for the PIN after 5 failed tries.
    03-29-16 06:52 PM
    I think it's time for BlackBerry advertise them self (in bigger way) related security aspect

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2016/3/29/Bla...ks-iPhone.aspx

Posted Via Q10 10.3.2.2836
    03-29-16 09:17 PM
    I think it's time for BlackBerry advertise them self (in bigger way) related security aspect

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2016/3/29/Bla...ks-iPhone.aspx

Posted Via Q10 10.3.2.2836
    That article is focusing solely on BB benefiting as a software provider and exiting the handset business. Which if they do that, fine, but I don't know why anyone in here would care of they aren't making phones.
    03-29-16 10:27 PM
    I'm certain it's "moot point", but it's all gooder dooders! The most secure device is the BlackBerry 950!!!

The point is not moot!

Moot point | Define Moot point at Dictionary.com

Check out the review:

RIM BlackBerry 950 Review
    03-29-16 10:42 PM
    03-30-16 12:39 AM
    Common sense says Touch ID would not have triggered on the corpse's finger (have you ever used it?) and the phone would have prompted for the PIN after 5 failed tries.
    I haven't used it dead, that's for sure

Posted with my loyal Z30
    03-30-16 01:11 AM
    How many smartphone users out there care security anyway lol. Because it that number was high right now BlackBerry wouldn't be struggling.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 01:29 AM
    03-30-16 02:51 AM
    The government in my opinion was just trying to make Apple create a backdoor so they could abuse their power like always.
    03-30-16 03:09 AM
    They don't even need the body. What they need is the fingerprint. It's the FBI, they know how to cook (lol) it.
    BTW, it's 5 more free attempts.
    buwee likes this.
    03-30-16 03:09 AM
    After hacking, cracking for almost 20 years, as I said on previous posts, no phone is really secure.
    BlackBerrys, iPhones, Black Androids, it doesn't really matter.

The company that cracked the iPhone 5c is Cellebrite, an Israeli company full of IDF Alumni (unit 8200) security experts.

They will crack any phone ,any time. Doesn't matter how hard the marketing team will post utter crap about "how secure the phone is"...
    sorinv and Medard like this.
    03-30-16 03:35 AM
    Thanks... my intention was more on the side of getting the joke in than hving researched on more of iOS' multiple bugs and vulns... :-D

Cheers!

Yeah, buying the iPad wasn't an easy decision.

I am a frequent traveller and I connect my mobile devices very often to hotspots, and although I believe that iOS is actually less secure than Windows 10 in general terms, I just cannot get warm to the idea of connecting any Windows machine to a potentially compromised network. The same is true for Android tablets.
    And of course I want a device with reliable encryption and remote wipe feature, just in case I lose it somewhere (train, bus, taxi, airplane, hotel etc etc. ...)
    I think that is my issue (has nothing to do with FBI).
    If I wouldn't travel that much the statistical risks would be significantly lower and (very hypothetically) I could even consider Android devices.

The iPad is a very good deal and I will enjoy it despite the bigger attack surface (compared to BB10)
    I will also endure all the bugs which Apple is releasing on a regular base since iOS8, because the few things I really need will work, well, most probably.

But still, if John Chen would announce a new 9.7 inch tablet with BB10 on the 1st of April, I would replace the iPad in a heartbeat.
    03-30-16 03:42 AM
    Since Celebrite claims they can successfully hack into BB10 devices is that just ignored?
    Uzi, anon7089239, Witmen and 2 others like this.
    03-30-16 05:37 AM
    No. They most likely did, otherwise they would not advertise it on their webpage. It would be false advertising and bad business.
    However, in the case of bb10 they say that they can only decrypt it if the BlackBerry ID is known.
    What does that mean?that they cannot do it if the BlackBerry id is not known?
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-30-16 at 07:14 AM.
    03-30-16 06:12 AM
    No. They most likely did, otherwise they would not advertise it on their webpage. It would be false advertising and bad business.
    However, in the case of bb10 they say that they can only decrypt it if the BlackBerry ID is known.
    What does that mean?that they cannot do it if the BlackBerry I'd is not known?
    Hmm, from their website:

BlackBerry� 10 Backup Extraction, Decoding and Decryption:

�File System extraction is available via UFED Touch/4PC

�Decoding together with decryption (with known BlackBerry� ID credentials) is enabled via UFED Physical Analyzer

************************************************** ************************************************** ************

It seems that two things are required:

At first, when I read the words "Backup Extraction", I would say only one word: Truecrypt

And second, yeah, if they have your "credentials", then they have your password too right?.
    And that information is something they can probably get from BlackBerry (similarily Apple knows your Apple ID and password).

Doesn't sound like magic to me.
    With your BB ID credentials and the backup they can restore your backup to a new BB10 device, and in worst case - provided you are using their Password Keeper app - they could also gain access to passwords for other services, because http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...eeper-1033210/
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 03-30-16 at 07:17 AM.
    03-30-16 06:40 AM
    03-30-16 06:58 AM
    Hmm, from their website:

BlackBerry� 10 Backup Extraction, Decoding and Decryption:

�File System extraction is available via UFED Touch/4PC

�Decoding together with decryption (with known BlackBerry� ID credentials) is enabled via UFED Physical Analyzer

It seems that two things are required:

At first, when I read the words "Backup Extraction", I would say only one word: Truecrypt

And second, yeah, if they have your "credentials", then they have your password too right?.
    And that information is something they can probably get from BlackBerry (similarily Apple knows your Apple ID and password).

Doesn't sound like magic to me.
    With your BB ID credentials and the backup they can restore your backup to a new BB10 device, and in worst case - provided you are using their Password Keeper app - they could also gain access to passwords for other services, because http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...eeper-1033210/
    But that assumes you back up your phone and that you use password keeper. I, for example, don't and I don't trust Blend either...
    Of course no cloud is secure.
    03-30-16 07:13 AM
124 12345