09-14-10 10:10 PM
311 123 ...
tools
  1. rayzaname's Avatar
    I came across this New York Times article regarding the state of things at RIM... READ HERE.
    I'm interested in knowing how many out there agree/disagree with the headline. Will your next phone be something other than a BB? Are you noticing friends/family make the switch? I'm just curious because yes, I've moved-on to an Android headset from a BlackBerry and many of my friends have purchased the iPhone4, Droid X, etc.

    So with OS6 coming out, is RIM doing enough to stay in front? If not, what is crucial for them to stay competitive and unique?
    07-26-10 03:28 PM
  2. Tõnis's Avatar
    Tõnis: "The New York Times's Era Has Ended."
    07-26-10 03:31 PM
  3. Jayhawk-X's Avatar
    My next phone will be a BB, friend's & relative's still use them, although the occasional iphone will show up, although other platform's have made inroad's, RIM still has 41% of the market, which means all the other android platform's fight for the remaining 59%. My employer, also a Fortune 500 Co. experimented with iphone, & was convinced to stay with BB, other financial institution's on a banking platform have also endorsed BB.
    07-26-10 03:37 PM
  4. Nozzles Brewin's Avatar
    My next phone will be a BB, friend's & relative's still use them, although the occasional iphone will show up, although other platform's have made inroad's, RIM still has 41% of the market, which means all the other android platform's fight for the remaining 59%. My employer, also a Fortune 500 Co. experimented with iphone, & was convinced to stay with BB, other financial institution's on a banking platform have also endorsed BB.
    I also will stay with BB, my chief has a bb, my captain has a bb, 90% of the dispatch center uses them, RIM may have suffered a bit because of the "oooh look it's new and shiny" aspect of android but that hasn't changed my opinion on them
    07-26-10 03:40 PM
  5. FMB8900's Avatar
    Tõnis: "The New York Times's Era Has Ended."
    I second that!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 03:41 PM
  6. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    My next phone will be a BB, friend's & relative's still use them, although the occasional iphone will show up, although other platform's have made inroad's, RIM still has 41% of the market, which means all the other android platform's fight for the remaining 59%. My employer, also a Fortune 500 Co. experimented with iphone, & was convinced to stay with BB, other financial institution's on a banking platform have also endorsed BB.
    lol, by whom... the RIM reps who want that F500 company to keep sending them millions in BES funds?
    07-26-10 03:43 PM
  7. Jayhawk-X's Avatar
    lol, by whom... the RIM reps who want that F500 company to keep sending them millions in BES funds?
    Workplace performance is hard to beat, & this is where the BB lineup shine's, much to the chagrin of the drone's who drumbeat RIM's demise.
    07-26-10 03:48 PM
  8. Joel S.'s Avatar
    lol, by whom... the RIM reps who want that F500 company to keep sending them millions in BES funds?
    Oh no, a large company opted to say with Blackberry, it must be a conspiracy by RIM!
    07-26-10 03:48 PM
  9. sivan's Avatar
    A few of my co-workers asked the company for iPhones. They all regret it.

    They love the apps and multimedia but noted Exchange bugs, primitive meeting scheduling, short battery life and lack of keyboards. They all call it a toy.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 03:54 PM
  10. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    Workplace performance is hard to beat, & this is where the BB lineup shine's, much to the chagrin of the drone's who drumbeat RIM's demise.
    Really? Can I tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly switch the Input Style on my BB from Word Completion back to Auto Correct because the stupid OS has a bug in it that auto switches this on its own whenever the Phone App gets used? Yeah, REAL efficient there RIM!
    07-26-10 03:55 PM
  11. Jayhawk-X's Avatar
    Really? Can I tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly switch the Input Style on my BB from Word Completion back to Auto Correct because the stupid OS has a bug in it that auto switches this on its own whenever the Phone App gets used? Yeah, REAL efficient there RIM!
    What do people do to they're BB's? I read constantly in these forum's about problem's, this, that & the other, & have never experienced any of them.
    07-26-10 03:58 PM
  12. titusilvering's Avatar
    Eventually these corp. which experiment iphone and android will give up. Been there, seen it and failed them. Money is never an issue with corp. Its always security and maintenance support.
    07-26-10 03:58 PM
  13. breakmedown's Avatar
    I don't see many companies switching to a Droid, and especially an iPhone.

    The article mentions that there are way more apps for the iPhone and Droid. Since when do businesses want to make it way more accessible and easy for you to be less productive on a company phone? BBs can lock down what you can and can't do on a phone. I'm sure Android could have this arranged, but could Apple?

    Businesses don't want their employees to be less productive, so that's why I think the switch will be hard for these companies to make. A BB is spectacularily simple and effecient, therefore increasing your productivity rather than allowing you download a fart app to waste company money.
    07-26-10 03:58 PM
  14. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    Let me give you the reasons why BB is good for businesses. They are as follows:

    1) The devices are cheap.
    2) The devices are controllable and can be locked down.

    Think of a BB as the Spork you got in the lunch room. Why should a company spend the money to give you a nice set of utensils when they can just give you a single cheap solution that if you break, it's no big deal for them to replace.

    This is why BB is used in large corporations. Pretty much the same reason why you see beat up cop cars used as taxies instead of something nicer. lol It does the job and that's all that matter in the company's eyes.
    07-26-10 04:08 PM
  15. Username00089's Avatar
    What do people do to they're BB's? I read constantly in these forum's about problem's, this, that & the other, & have never experienced any of them.
    You obviously haven't owned a Storm
    07-26-10 04:16 PM
  16. sivan's Avatar
    Corporations usually buy the traditional qwerty BB. Civic comes here to complain because it was her choice to get the Storm.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 04:25 PM
  17. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    Really? Can I tell you how annoying it is to have to constantly switch the Input Style on my BB from Word Completion back to Auto Correct because the stupid OS has a bug in it that auto switches this on its own whenever the Phone App gets used? Yeah, REAL efficient there RIM!

    Take the Storm out of the equation and the efficiency of the BB is still there, I've never changed input styles, I have autotext made for company terms, and part numbers. if businesses actually teach their employee's the subtleties of the Candybar BB, it can't be beat for just email / calendar/ phone.

    PLUS it is harder for your employee's to get distracted since our browser and app library are sub par.
    07-26-10 04:28 PM
  18. Masahiro's Avatar
    You obviously haven't owned a Storm
    I have owned a Storm and never had any issues with it other than a trickle of a memory leak.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 04:29 PM
  19. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    Corporations usually buy the traditional qwerty BB. Civic comes here to complain because it was her choice to get the Storm.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    In the case of this bug, you may have a leg to stand on, maybe a broken one at that. The full QWERTY models aren't without their own OS bug issues, so don't feel too high and mighty. Some of them also have physical issues as well.

    Just remember folks, just because you don't see the issues, doesn't mean they are not there. It simply means that you're not smart enough to find them. But hey, feel great of the fact that your brain level is on par with RIM employees.
    07-26-10 04:29 PM
  20. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    PLUS it is harder for your employee's to get distracted since our browser and app library are sub par.
    Well, you got a great point there. I have no rebuttal to that one.
    07-26-10 04:32 PM
  21. Joel S.'s Avatar
    This is why BB is used in large corporations. Pretty much the same reason why you see beat up cop cars used as taxies instead of something nicer. lol It does the job and that's all that matter in the company's eyes.
    Really? Let's forget the large markets where they bring in new cars, but you don't think it has anything to do with the fact even decommissioned cop cars are outfitted with a few modifications that make them better suited to being driven around and abused all day when compared to a "nice car" off the lot?

    That just might be why corporations like BBs still.
    07-26-10 04:33 PM
  22. _StephenBB81's Avatar
    Well, you got a great point there. I have no rebuttal to that one.


    haha I knew you'd agree with that one,

    I actually heard an IT guy giving that as a reason why he shouldn't support the iPhone on the network, when the sales manager wanted his new iPhone to replace his BB. the General manager agreed with the IT guy and said, "we don't want people having toys to distract them on company time."
    07-26-10 04:42 PM
  23. Username00089's Avatar
    I have owned a Storm and never had any issues with it other than a trickle of a memory leak.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Congratulations.
    07-26-10 04:45 PM
  24. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    haha I knew you'd agree with that one,

    I actually heard an IT guy giving that as a reason why he shouldn't support the iPhone on the network, when the sales manager wanted his new iPhone to replace his BB. the General manager agreed with the IT guy and said, "we don't want people having toys to distract them on company time."
    lol, that's because the IT guy couldn't come up with any real technical reason to not support it. And the GM was so mindless and agreed because he didn't want to draw attention to the Brickbreaker aspect of his BB. lol

    Ever time I run into someone that tells me the iPhone shouldn't be supported in the enterprise as apposed to a BB, they never have any good technical reasons o back up their statements (even though there are some that can be discussed). It's the old line you'd get from your parents when you were small. "You can't because I said so..." Now I know why my parents couldn't stand me.... I always wanted a reasonable explanation and they never had one to give. lol
    07-26-10 05:04 PM
  25. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    Really? Let's forget the large markets where they bring in new cars, but you don't think it has anything to do with the fact even decommissioned cop cars are outfitted with a few modifications that make them better suited to being driven around and abused all day when compared to a "nice car" off the lot?

    That just might be why corporations like BBs still.
    Agreed, but don't look so deep into the details next time. It was a generalization in terms of retired cop cars are "cheap and disposable", just like a BB is. I never said anything else about the technical additions of oil coolers, larger radiators, higher output alternators, etc. to said vehicles.
    07-26-10 05:07 PM
311 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD