Mostly an article on RIM's solid relationships with the carriers (as opposed to the relatively more distant carrier relationships of Apple and Google). But there are the usual dire warnings. I suppose what's unusual is that this is on the front page of the business section in the paper of record.

To Rebound, RIM Courts the Carriers

The article may unknowingly create the expectation that the 9900, 9810, and 9860 are the new, make or break phones, rather than QNX-based phones in (at least) another year:

Keeping the carriers on its side will not solve RIM’s problems. But, at the very least, it could provide the company with breathing room until it introduces a revamped product line running on its new operating system. . . .
    . . .
    While RIM has not provided any specific timelines for its new phones, even test versions appear to be months away. Analysts say RIM cannot afford a mistake at this juncture.

“If they succeed, then the sky’s the limit,” [Copenhagen telecommunication consultant John] Strand said. “If they don’t, they probably won’t have more than one or two years left.”
    If the OS 7 phones drop later in the year, some people might assume these are the phones from the "revamped product line." That's going to be a disappointment because neither OS 7 nor the hardware are the quantum leaps expected.
    Last edited by JasW; 07-13-11 at 07:05 AM.
    07-13-11 07:00 AM
    It's sad that a company with RIM's history has to cater to the carrier's wants and demands, as opposed to phones that can make their own. However, the road to recovery will humble this company.

I have full faith that the form factors of the new phones will be a hit. They just can't run into the same problem they have with the PlayBook. "What a great device, but what do I do with it now?"

Making phone calls, emails, and bbms just isn't good enough for a phone in this day and age. I hope they keep that in mind when they are rushing these phones out the door.
    07-13-11 07:06 AM
    I think that saying "RIM cannot afford a mistake at this juncture" is a fair assessment. As for the new phones being "make or break", to some extent they are. If they're a flop then RIM will be in SERIOUS trouble.
    07-13-11 07:16 AM
    Neither OS 7 nor the hardware are the quantum leaps expected? Wow what do they want quad core, 4gb of ram, 100gb of storage, 2gb video memory, ffc in 1080p, a rear 1080p camera video recorder with 3d?

Specs, specs, specs............ah we can have all the specs in the world and if the OS doesn't take advantage of the specs or doesn't do it well, then you just have another pos.

But yes RIM could be in trouble in the USA if the OS 7 phones aren't at least smooth and do what they do well with a good if not great web browsing experience.
    07-13-11 07:41 AM
    Wow what do they want quad core, 4gb of ram, 100gb of storage, 2gb video memory, ffc in 1080p, a rear 1080p camera video recorder with 3d?
    Hey, if you're going to aim, might as well aim high.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-13-11 07:53 AM
    Hey, if you're going to aim, might as well aim high.
    LOL I suppose so..............now where are those 10 extra batteries and my car charger and my spare house charger and ...........
    07-13-11 07:58 AM
    It's sad that a company with RIM's history has to cater to the carrier's wants and demands, as opposed to phones that can make their own. However, the road to recovery will humble this company.

I have full faith that the form factors of the new phones will be a hit. They just can't run into the same problem they have with the PlayBook. "What a great device, but what do I do with it now?"

Making phone calls, emails, and bbms just isn't good enough for a phone in this day and age. I hope they keep that in mind when they are rushing these phones out the door.
    I'm not sure what in this whole process has indicated that RIM is rushing these new phones out the door. We still don't have a release date for a phone they introduced at the beginning of May.
    07-13-11 08:02 AM
    I'm not sure what in this whole process has indicated that RIM is rushing these new phones out the door. We still don't have a release date for a phone they introduced at the beginning of May.
    RIM is known for taking a long time to release phones (and now tablets). An introduction in May and release in August or September is a significant improvement for them.
    07-13-11 09:36 AM
    the hardware is fine for the phones running OS7....it would be really awesome if the hardware was good enough to run OS7 and also QNX when that comes out though. that would be a grand slam.
    K Bear and jebulls like this.
    07-13-11 03:13 PM
    the hardware is fine for the phones running OS7....it would be really awesome if the hardware was good enough to run OS7 and also QNX when that comes out though. that would be a grand slam.
    My fear is that RIM will neuter QNX on their super phones lke they did on the Playbook. I can't tell you how it pains me to see a potentially great product thrown to market without key promised features. The Xoom lacked Flash and LTE out of the box, but that wad remedied in weeks. Playbook still has no native e-mail or calendar after how many months? Let alone the buggy as all heck OS.

QNX is the solution for Blackberry. The problem is RIM can't sort out their chickens from their roosters.
    07-13-11 05:59 PM
    My fear is that RIM will neuter QNX on their super phones lke they did on the Playbook. I can't tell you how it pains me to see a potentially great product thrown to market without key promised features. The Xoom lacked Flash and LTE out of the box, but that wad remedied in weeks. Playbook still has no native e-mail or calendar after how many months? Let alone the buggy as all heck OS.

QNX is the solution for Blackberry. The problem is RIM can't sort out their chickens from their roosters.
    My Playbook must be defective because it doesn't have the "buggy as heck OS". Very stable and has only crashed once since owning it from opening week.
    sf49ers likes this.
    07-13-11 06:57 PM
    My Playbook must be defective because it doesn't have the "buggy as heck OS". Very stable and has only crashed once since owning it from opening week.
    With the exception of the bridge I would say mine's very stable as well.
    07-13-11 07:49 PM

I wouldn't say it's buggy. It's in its infancy sure, but that's to be expected. There's still a lot of features and capabilities to add, and over time it will mature.

On the plus side... when the first phone using BBQNX is being built and developed, most of the OS side of development will have already been hashed out through the development of the PB. It won't take nearly as long to put QNX on the phone as it has been for the PB.
    07-13-11 08:52 PM
    Neither OS 7 nor the hardware are the quantum leaps expected? Wow what do they want quad core, 4gb of ram, 100gb of storage, 2gb video memory, ffc in 1080p, a rear 1080p camera video recorder with 3d?

Specs, specs, specs............ah we can have all the specs in the world and if the OS doesn't take advantage of the specs or doesn't do it well, then you just have another pos.

But yes RIM could be in trouble in the USA if the OS 7 phones aren't at least smooth and do what they do well with a good if not great web browsing experience.
    Processor MSM8660 (1.2 GHz Dual Core processor) + SQN1210 (WiMAX)

Operating System Android� 2.3 with HTC Sense�

Internal Memory 4GB eMMC / RAM 1GB

Display 4.3" inch Super LCD 540x960 QHD resolution 3D display

3D Compatibility 3D Capture and playback for photos and videos; display downloaded content formatted in 3D; stream 3D content wirelessly to 3D TV

Network CDMA2000 1x/ EVDO rev. 0/ EVDO rev. A network and 4G WIMAX

GPS GPS/AGPS

Camera Two 5 MP Color CMOS with auto focus for 3D; 5 MP Color CMOS with auto focus for 2D; 1.3 MP Color CMOS Front Camera

Connectivity Bluetooth� 3.0 + High Speed, Wi-Fi�: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5mm stereo audio jack, micro-USB (5-pin micro-USB)

Battery Rechargeable 1730 mAh

Dimensions 5" (L) x 2.6" (W) x 0.47" (T)
    07-13-11 10:21 PM
    Mostly an article on RIM's solid relationships with the carriers (as opposed to the relatively more distant carrier relationships of Apple and Google). But there are the usual dire warnings. I suppose what's unusual is that this is on the front page of the business section in the paper of record.

To Rebound, RIM Courts the Carriers

The article may unknowingly create the expectation that the 9900, 9810, and 9860 are the new, make or break phones, rather than QNX-based phones in (at least) another year:

If the OS 7 phones drop later in the year, some people might assume these are the phones from the "revamped product line." That's going to be a disappointment because neither OS 7 nor the hardware are the quantum leaps expected.
    i've been saying that for a while now, i hear people talking about how they've heard the next gen "super phone" bb's are coming out next month, and i'm like, not that's not the ones. i don't care how bad of a hole RIM is in, and i think we can all agree the situation currently is dire, at least in the USA where the new phones really matter, i think they should have totally just dropped os7, feel free to argue it, but it's just confusing, their focus should be on 1 thing and 1 thing only at this time, qnx.
    07-13-11 10:24 PM

let me preface by saying i was crazy excited about the PB, i told everyone it seemed like the best tablet, i used it and thought wow, then i asked my gf's boss if i could spend a few hours with it, and i just minute after minute was more and more disappointed. for a first generation operating system it feels patched over and unfocused, almost like an OS gets after years of addons, updates, or similar to facebook at this time. anyway, someone in the software developer circle needs to be a leader here, it's clear that it's a cluster ****
    centsofreason likes this.
    07-13-11 10:27 PM
    i think they should have totally just dropped os7, feel free to argue it, but it's just confusing, their focus should be on 1 thing and 1 thing only at this time, qnx.
    That would have been a very bad idea. It would have left them without product for almost two years, and that sort of situation (if you remember) was what destroyed Netscape during the browser wars.

Unless you're suggesting that they release the new hardware w/ OS 6. That...may have been a valid strategy.
    07-13-11 10:38 PM
    That would have been a very bad idea. It would have left them without product for almost two years, and that sort of situation (if you remember) was what destroyed Netscape during the browser wars.

Unless you're suggesting that they release the new hardware w/ OS 6. That...may have been a valid strategy.
    i agree that it would have hurt the company, but what's worse, laying low for 18 months and releasing something that's actually mind blowing, or releasing another slew of phones, that are really functionally the same thing you've had, sure they're faster, but the OS is the same lets not fool ourselves. you release them then people who were hanging on for something great are like wow, NOPE and bail on it. i dunno makes more sense to me to just go full steam into your next gen products, but as i once thought qnx could actually save the day, now it seems they're dipping their toes in the water first, almost like they're not confident in their product. i just, i dunno if RIM had a good track record with software not having bugs, or product delays, i haven't ever owned a blackberry that didn't have something keeping it from being great. i saw qnx as a clean slate, they seem to see it as just an obligation.
    07-13-11 10:42 PM
    let me preface by saying i was crazy excited about the PB, i told everyone it seemed like the best tablet, i used it and thought wow, then i asked my gf's boss if i could spend a few hours with it, and i just minute after minute was more and more disappointed. for a first generation operating system it feels patched over and unfocused, almost like an OS gets after years of addons, updates, or similar to facebook at this time. anyway, someone in the software developer circle needs to be a leader here, it's clear that it's a cluster ****
    The PB has gotten mediocre reviews at best and if thats what QNX has to offer then RIM is in serious trouble.
    07-13-11 10:43 PM
    The PB has gotten mediocre reviews at best and if thats what QNX has to offer then RIM is in serious trouble.
    you're totally right, mediocre is giving it the benefit of the doubt too, claiming it's potential is also a total joke, webOS has more potential than QNX and it's failing just as badly. i'm sorry, for a company who is known for email, to release a tablet, that doesn't even do email, well that makes the playbook actually worthless.
    centsofreason likes this.
    07-13-11 10:45 PM
    you're totally right, mediocre is giving it the benefit of the doubt too, claiming it's potential is also a total joke, webOS has more potential than QNX and it's failing just as badly. i'm sorry, for a company who is known for email, to release a tablet, that doesn't even do email, well that makes the playbook actually worthless.
    Really, you've got to stop right there before you make yourself look stupid. Back up the statement in bold. I will bet dollars to donuts you can't list any concrete reasons to back up the statement in bold. Hate on RIM/BB all you want, that's your prerogative; but if you want to be taken seriously, don't just spout off nonsense.
    MarketRide likes this.
    07-14-11 01:27 AM
    Really, you've got to stop right there before you make yourself look stupid. Back up the statement in bold. I will bet dollars to donuts you can't list any concrete reasons to back up the statement in bold. Hate on RIM/BB all you want, that's your prerogative; but if you want to be taken seriously, don't just spout off nonsense.
    Exactly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-14-11 01:39 AM
    How is it nonsense, the development community has been raging for years about webOS's failures to live up to potential, I say that not as a comment regarding which is more likely to succeed but more as which os has thus far underachieved, hence it having more potential

07-14-11 02:30 AM
    How is it nonsense, the development community has been raging for years about webOS's failures to live up to potential, I say that not as a comment regarding which is more likely to succeed but more as which os has thus far underachieved, hence it having more potential

Because the potential of QNX is documented and technical, not potential to developers, for example it can support up to 32quores(or was it more?) hardware, name another OS that can do that?

07-14-11 03:17 AM
    Because the potential of QNX is documented and technical, not potential to developers, for example it can support up to 32quores(or was it more?) hardware, name another OS that can do that?

windows....
    07-14-11 05:28 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD