Walked into Best Buy in Markham at noon ....
    I don't get it, you become a Crackberry newbie just to post that, twice I may add, several minutes apart.So no accidental double post excuse,geesh.
    02-06-13 11:47 AM
    02-06-13 12:01 PM
    They used Ian's article,sad. See folks this is how the bs gets fostered , the negative haters just need one article and they try to spring board off of it, sad lazy journo these days.
    02-06-13 12:10 PM
    Sold out means nothing unless you know total units sold. If the store only had 10 devices, its not that impressive. My local sprint store sold out of Palm Pre's at launch in 15 minutes. Of course, it was only 3 units.
    Carriers have had plenty of time to gauge demand through pre-orders and every store I went to yesterday sold 20-30 units. Just talk to someone behind this desk and they will tell you.
    02-06-13 12:16 PM
    Carriers have had plenty of time to gauge demand through pre-orders and every store I went to yesterday sold 20-30 units. Just talk to someone behind this desk and they will tell you.
    I personally know Best Buy management and yesterday they were selling 10 Z10's to one of every other brand.
    That's huge imho.
    02-06-13 12:21 PM
    I didn't pre-order and walked into my local Rogers store around 10 am and picked up a phone no problem. However after just one day there is a very serious issue concerning the ability to sync contacts and calendar in MS Outlook. You can't!!! If you google this or go into the BB forums you'll see a lot of frustrated people and Blackberry isn't responding. It appears you have to have a Gmail, Hotmail or some other sort of email account and then you have to transfer your contacts and calendar events to those accounts in order for you to import and sync with the BB 10. Most business users (I am one of them) keep all contacts and appointments on our desk top in Outlook. The ease that this was accomplished in all previous versions of BB is why most business users adopted the platform. I contacted Rogers technical support and they confirmed that it can't be done and yes they know that it is an issue. I went back to the store to inform the person I dealt with that they had given me several incorrect answers to my questions. 1) BB 10 will not work with BB Desktop.....you must download and use BB Link 2) BB Protect will not work with the BB 10, you must set up a new account for BB 10 which means all the data you save to BB protect from your previous phone is useless 3) Most importantly is it will not work with MS Outlook. While I was back at the store I witnessed several frustrated people coming back in and returning thiere BB 10's because of this last issue. Out in the social media you can see many stories regarding people returning thier phones. My advice to BB is to end the silence, confront the issue and get it fixed or risk thier loyal base of business users.
    I could be mistaken - it happens - in that the lack of MAPI support in BlackBerry OS 10 has eliminated the ability to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook.
    02-06-13 12:26 PM
    I liked this, because it was a well thought out, valuable contribution!

I do remember what it was like to be a teen/tween and think that a sarcasm-only response was cool ;-) Crazy kid!
    Don't get snarky, that poster knows a troll when they see them.
    02-06-13 12:34 PM
    I have been talking with Ian about this story and apparently he did not write the headline, an editor at New York Times took it upon himself to do so. Does not change the body of the message but interesting to see what they do at New York Times, don't they ever learn from their last try at bashing Blackberry?

Edit: Ok, apparently it was the tech editor who wrote the headline.

Kevin, you might want to contact Ian for his next article on Z10 user feedback, better you(Kevin) than some yahooo at BRG.

Can somebody send this to Kevin?
    Ian Austen
    The New York Times
    Canada
    [email protected]
    t 613 236 0621
    m 613 293 5685
    The editor is responsible for getting traffic. It's pretty clear that if he's going to proclaim "Lackluster start in Canada" and then attach an article that says, "This store, in this one mall, in this one city" as is proof for the entire country, he's just looking for hits.
    02-06-13 12:55 PM
    Why would you line up if you can pre-order online. I guess Canadians know how not to waste their time standing in lines.
    Also, Bell already acknowledged it's the best launch of BB saleswise.
    A day off work and to get the BlackBerry in their hands as soon as physically possible is my bet. Lots have been waiting a long time for this.
    02-06-13 12:56 PM
    The editor is responsible for getting traffic. It's pretty clear that if he's going to proclaim "Lackluster start in Canada" and then attach an article that says, "This store, in this one mall, in this one city" as is proof for the entire country, he's just looking for hits.
    You got it. The writer owns his words. The only reason I suggested he goes to Kevin for a user review is that if he goes to bad source/s for his next article (user review/s) lord knows what would be written if he instead decides to use BGR as source material for example. At least with Kevin he won't get any smoke blown up his azz, he will get honest plus/minus + potential bugs/updates needed etc.

Best to make your enemy your friend at times, or in a lighter sense inform those not informed.
    02-06-13 01:11 PM
    Loved a comment on that article, from AM 570 radio: "Of course there weren't any lineups like there were for the iPhone because BlackBerry users have jobs."

-so-much-win.jpg
    Enyigma and BlackStormRising like this.
    02-06-13 01:17 PM
    That is B.S and this thread proves it.
    Also, I think NY Times is expecting something like an iPhone release?
    We aren't that idiotic to stand in a line for that long.
    Agreed! BB users are a different breed - we don't line up at ridiculous hours for a phone, no matter what type of phone it is. And Canada is freaking cold at this time of the year, no one sane will want to freeze their behinds off just to get a phone that they can get any time of the day, any time of the year (except right now when it's mostly sold out. ).

When I called Fido, they had a voice message (before your options) that recommend customers to order their Z10 quickly because their entire Fido stock (not just one store location) was getting really low - that was around 2-3 pm yesterday. Given that Fido is only a small subsidiary carrier, it says volumes how well Canadians are embracing the new BB device.

For me, I switched over to Rogers because they offered a better package. I also got my black Z10 with the $139.99 fee waivered! Yeah!
    02-06-13 01:24 PM
    Funny, I thought that thread verified what the NY times is saying. A few tiny lines (apparently containing RIM employees), no real buzz, and apparently, barely any stock - an attempt to manufacture an artificial sell-out.

Well eventually we may know the real numbers. If there are truly great numbers, we probably won't have to wait long...If RIM sold impressive numbers, they will trumpet it immediately (they'd be stupid not to!!)

To all the people arguing variations on : we Canadians pre-order, get shipment to our houses, won't stand in line, etc. I remind you that even were that true, it does not mean sales have been successful, only that we would then not know whether they have been. In a similar vein, a "sell-out" means nothing either, until we know how many were available.

I can't be the only one - even here - who is getting a bad feeling/impression about today's sales!! Oh well, let's hope for the best I suppose! I suggest we keep our heads though ladies and gents.
    I think this person has a point. There are only two things we know for certain about yesterday. They are:
    1) BB10 phones were in stores at the beginning but not the end of the day; and
    2) iPhones and Androids were available both at the begin and the end of the day.

Clearly, this is bad for Blackberry.
    02-06-13 01:50 PM
    Yesterday's Canada BlackBerry Z10 launch was the biggest ever for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

This news puts the naysayers ill informed articles to rest pronto.
    02-06-13 03:08 PM
    I think this person has a point. There are only two things we know for certain about yesterday. They are:
    1) BB10 phones were in stores at the beginning but not the end of the day; and
    2) iPhones and Androids were available both at the begin and the end of the day.

Clearly, this is bad for Blackberry.
    Incorrect. Clearly it is ambiguous. It may be good or bad depending on how many phones were available. If your reasoning is this simplistic, there is little more to say: it doesn't get any more basic than this. Irregardless, I'm glad you have so clearly delineated your reasoning.
    02-06-13 03:15 PM
    Incorrect. Clearly it is ambiguous. It may be good or bad depending on how many phones were available. If your reasoning is this simplistic, there is little more to say: it doesn't get any more basic than this. Irregardless, I'm glad you have so clearly delineated your reasoning.
    There is nothing wrong with the reasoning. In fact, it is in alignment with your postings. All I did was assume you were correct. The problem is that you just don't like the conclusions arising from your thoughts. Sort of sucks when you get trapped.
    TomJasper likes this.
    02-06-13 03:31 PM
    Actually, this is the sad reality if market share in Canada is at 4.5%.
    I think it's going to take a lot more than 70,000 apps to bump that number back up to a respectable 10%.
    02-06-13 03:51 PM
    Actually, this is the sad reality if market share in Canada is at 4.5%.
    I think it's going to take a lot more than 70,000 apps to bump that number back up to a respectable 10%.
    A lot of America writers seem to assume Canadians are as patriotic about Canadian goods as Americans are about American goods.

Not a chance. the loudest, nastiest, more sneering comments I've ever heard about RIM about been from Canadians and Canadian media. We love to kick at our own. Cheering for our own is not in the Canadian mantra
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-06-13 03:53 PM
    Koodo kiosk in my mall sold out. They had 5 handsets on launch day and were selling for $550 outright. They may not receive any more for another week, and I don't expect them to get more than 5 in their next shipment.
    02-06-13 04:00 PM
    A lot of America writers seem to assume Canadians are as patriotic about Canadian goods as Americans are about American goods.

Not a chance. the loudest, nastiest, more sneering comments I've ever heard about RIM about been from Canadians and Canadian media. We love to kick at our own. Cheering for our own is not in the Canadian mantra
    I got trolled in a coffee shop while watching world cup rugby highlights on a PlayBook...in Canada. "BlackBerry sucks!" blurted in my direction by some generic looking 30 something. (And I was even doing it "politically correctly" by using an App instead of the browser!).
    But to be fair, that only happened once, and most people are more likely to ask where I got the tablet and how much did it cost etc.
    02-06-13 04:13 PM
    Stopped into a local Rogers shop basically to ask about sales . The young lady said that they sold out yesterday but had a few left so far ( 4:00 PM) .
    02-06-13 05:23 PM
    Ahh... No.. If you are running exchange you can run BDS 10 or active sync and sync everything wirelessly.

What mail server is your outlook connecting to?

Its been quite awhile since i saw a company using something outher then office 365, gmail or onsite exchange services.

And i have never come across someone using outlook to sync their contacts etc to their phone directly.
    02-06-13 05:28 PM
    that article is a pile of ****. i checked three stores on my lunch hour before picking up mine from Rogers and they were all sold out of their regular stock within 1.5hours of opening. only preordered stock remained.
    Sales in Canada are definitely exceptional though not all stores have supply yet. I'm still waiting for mine with Telus(white). I even considered switching carriers but it should be here soon. I know others that are still waiting for there's from Bell while other Bell outlets in other cities already have them in stock.

I spoke with a costco guy that sells phones for multiple carriers. He said sales were incredible... Black was sold out but not white.

I went to a few carrier outlets near work at lunchtime and each one had 6-10 people checking out the Z10 phones. Normally these stores are emtpy at that time.

Other news, i work for a large government agency.. ($300M IT budget) and management already agreed to get BES10 and upgrade devices to BB10 starting this spring. We have about a thousand BBs issued. It was a close call as we were about to begin BYOD initiative.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-06-13 05:32 PM
    There is nothing wrong with the reasoning.
    Yes. There is, as I've already pointed out. It is incorrect to conclude that selling all stock of BB's (assuming that it is true) is a "good" thing for BB. It is not. It is, again, ambiguous. We cannot make a judgment on it until we see the numbers. Sales are not "icing on the cake", and I trust the vast majority on this forum can at least acknowledge that. We do not want ANY sales, we need a "good" quantity of sales, if we do not get a "good" quantity, this is a bad thing for BB.

In fact, it is in alignment with your postings.
    No. This is yet another lie. It is quite clearly in not compatible with either my first post ie. "To all the people arguing variations on : we Canadians pre-order, get shipment to our houses, won't stand in line, etc. I remind you that even were that true, it does not mean sales have been successful, only that we would then not know whether they have been. In a similar vein, a "sell-out" means nothing either, until we know how many were available., or my second post: Clearly it is ambiguous. It may be good or bad depending on how many phones were available

All I did was assume you were correct.
    No. You did not. You stated premises that were NOT mine. Then dishonestly asserted they were mine, and that you agree. Then you reached a conclusion that was clearly at odds with my actual premise.
    The problem is that you just don't like the conclusions arising from your thoughts. Sort of sucks when you get trapped.
    It is apparent that you intend to simply lie about what I have said and have no sincere interest in meaningful discussion. This is not only trollish, but simply: childish. It demeans everyone on this board to act out like this. It is fine to have a different opinion, and it is fine to have state you disagree, however, to carry out antics like this pollutes the board with noise, encourages this kind of behavior (thank goodness most, as emotional as their arguments may get, do not resort to this kind of absurdity, and again, makes CB look bad to anyone who reads it. If you care about the forum, please rethink your behavior.

It doesn't matter if people like me, or like you, or agree with me, or agree with you; when you blatantly misrepresent about what other people said, in a silly attempt to get them mad (oooh), the enduring impression of people who read this (especially non-members) will be that CB is full of childish, stupid, and silly people.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-06-13 06:20 PM
    There is nothing wrong with the reasoning. In fact, it is in alignment with your postings. All I did was assume you were correct. The problem is that you just don't like the conclusions arising from your thoughts. Sort of sucks when you get trapped.
    Dude, just drop it. He's always on a downer.

Si.
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    02-06-13 06:33 PM
193 ... 45678