How does this bum know it was lackluster? He get some sales figures that the rest of world isn't privy to?

1) Its cold in Canada we aren't standing in line
    2) Blackberry users tend to be more intelligent and aren't going to wait in a line for a device. Most have jobs and better things to do. Apple fanboys on the other hand, lack both intelligence and jobs in many cases.
    3) The Z10 seems to be sold out in most places in the City. In small towns (at least in alberta, you can still get it)
    02-06-13 09:54 AM
    I think that's the key, that there are only a number of Apple stores, while there are tons of phone outlets.
    Furthermore, didn't most people pre-order them anyway?
    In Canada pre-orders were probably the largest driver yesterday and then you have the walk-in traffic due to the limited marketing and news coverage between Saturday and Tuesday. It would be beneficial for BlackBerry to release first-day sales figures in part as a marketing strategy - the BlackBerry Z10 is selling like fresh maple syrup covered pancakes in the spring at the sugar shack!
    02-06-13 09:55 AM
    BS. I called many stores and everyone was sold out of their rogers phone. Some stores said they couldn't even get enough to fill their pre orders.

By noon one store said they had ONE bell phone left.

I had done a couple of pre orders to cover my **** and I'm at 1090 now on the order. That reminds me I need to cancel that since I bought two already.

Oh one final thing. Many people were told they couldn't even buy the phone out right. They needed to be on a plan. That reporter is uninformed.
    02-06-13 09:56 AM
    I ordered a Z10 from Rogers days ago. I am presently nat position ~2000 and still no invite from Rogers to come and get it. I am actually not angry at all (not in a rush) but if preorders are late then you can imply that they are either out of stock or Rogers is playing a game...
    Pre-order demand has been high and Rogers has been filling orders as fast as inventory arrives at the warehouse. Your BlackBerry Z10 will not ship until you receive an email. You should have placed your pre-order earlier but in the reservation system it clearly states you might receive your smartphone after the public release. You can walk into the outlet where you chose as the delivery point and buy an in-stock BlackBerry Z10 and cancel your pre-order. The Rogers outlets are not playing games.
    02-06-13 10:01 AM
    Well, the Rideau Centre is one of the biggest malls in Ottawa, so people wouldn't need to 'stand in line in the cold' there. :-)
    02-06-13 10:08 AM
    How does this bum know it was lackluster? He get some sales figures that the rest of world isn't privy to?

2) Blackberry users tend to be more intelligent and aren't going to wait in a line for a device. Most have jobs and better things to do. Apple fanboys on the other hand, lack both intelligence and jobs in many cases.
    3) The Z10 seems to be sold out in most places in the City. In small towns (at least in alberta, you can still get it)
    What a ridiculous stereotype. I guess not all blackberry users are more intelligent.
    02-06-13 10:13 AM
    of course we do! We are Canadian! I bbq'd rib eye steak last night in -20 while drinking a cold Corona!
    I drink Corona too. But if you want us to believe you were BBQing rib-eye steak in -20C temperatures at least say you were drinking Moosehead. RISLMBO (rolling in snow laughing my **** off)
    mapsonburt likes this.
    02-06-13 10:15 AM
    I think the article's headline is misleading and he doesn't have enough data to properly estimate demand. But I wouldn't doubt his news about the Rideau centre.
    Yeah - that's my issue. The New York Times prints a headline that declares, "Lackluster Start for BlackBerry�s New Phone in Canada", but the reality is that the guy visited one mall, in one city, extrapolated it all across the country.

Just stupid, lazy reporting.
    02-06-13 10:21 AM
    It's been said on the forums before, but when Apple does a release, its usually only a few stores that have them available (and shortages are expected)
    say what? The last iPhone launch Apple sold millions of devices over the first few days. Shortages happen because they couldn't make them fast enough. Maybe the Z10 will be a success but its unrealistic to expect the launch to match the iPhone.
    Last edited by Semi5; 02-06-13 at 10:47 AM.
    mikeo007 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    02-06-13 10:27 AM
    I didn't pre-order and walked into my local Rogers store around 10 am and picked up a phone no problem. However after just one day there is a very serious issue concerning the ability to sync contacts and calendar in MS Outlook. You can't!!! If you google this or go into the BB forums you'll see a lot of frustrated people and Blackberry isn't responding. It appears you have to have a Gmail, Hotmail or some other sort of email account and then you have to transfer your contacts and calendar events to those accounts in order for you to import and sync with the BB 10. Most business users (I am one of them) keep all contacts and appointments on our desk top in Outlook. The ease that this was accomplished in all previous versions of BB is why most business users adopted the platform. I contacted Rogers technical support and they confirmed that it can't be done and yes they know that it is an issue. I went back to the store to inform the person I dealt with that they had given me several incorrect answers to my questions. 1) BB 10 will not work with BB Desktop.....you must download and use BB Link 2) BB Protect will not work with the BB 10, you must set up a new account for BB 10 which means all the data you save to BB protect from your previous phone is useless 3) Most importantly is it will not work with MS Outlook. While I was back at the store I witnessed several frustrated people coming back in and returning thiere BB 10's because of this last issue. Out in the social media you can see many stories regarding people returning thier phones. My advice to BB is to end the silence, confront the issue and get it fixed or risk thier loyal base of business users.
    02-06-13 10:28 AM
    say what? The last iPhone launch Apple sold millions of devices over the few few days. Shortages happen because they couldn't make them fast enough. Maybe the Z10 will be a success but its unrealistic to expect the launch to match the iPhone.
    Exactly. It doesn't need to outsell the iPhone and won't. It needs to turn the tide on current BlackBerry sales and sell well enough to show BlackBerry can make a successful touch screen.
    02-06-13 10:29 AM
    However after just one day there is a very serious issue concerning the ability to sync contacts and calendar in MS Outlook. You can't!!!
    What outlook and how are you connecting? ActiveSync or BES 10?
    02-06-13 10:30 AM
    I guess we don't like the Times again #1984
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-06-13 10:33 AM
    Not to worry, this guy is getting flamed up like no tomorrow on the NYT site. One post was particularly devastating when they pointed out that the Rideau Hall store he visited sold out in less 4 hours. So his article wasn't even up on the web before his crackerjack reporting was debunked. It makes me chuckle.

Who wants to bet that this guy is hiding under his bed today.
    02-06-13 10:35 AM
    I didn't pre-order and walked into my local Rogers store around 10 am and picked up a phone no problem. However after just one day there is a very serious issue concerning the ability to sync contacts and calendar in MS Outlook. You can't!!! If you google this or go into the BB forums you'll see a lot of frustrated people and Blackberry isn't responding. It appears you have to have a Gmail, Hotmail or some other sort of email account and then you have to transfer your contacts and calendar events to those accounts in order for you to import and sync with the BB 10. Most business users (I am one of them) keep all contacts and appointments on our desk top in Outlook. The ease that this was accomplished in all previous versions of BB is why most business users adopted the platform. I contacted Rogers technical support and they confirmed that it can't be done and yes they know that it is an issue. I went back to the store to inform the person I dealt with that they had given me several incorrect answers to my questions. 1) BB 10 will not work with BB Desktop.....you must download and use BB Link 2) BB Protect will not work with the BB 10, you must set up a new account for BB 10 which means all the data you save to BB protect from your previous phone is useless 3) Most importantly is it will not work with MS Outlook. While I was back at the store I witnessed several frustrated people coming back in and returning thiere BB 10's because of this last issue. Out in the social media you can see many stories regarding people returning thier phones. My advice to BB is to end the silence, confront the issue and get it fixed or risk thier loyal base of business users.
    It has worked perfectly fine for my colleagues. It took about 10 minutes. I think most of your problems will be solved with BB Link. It has been noted multiple time on this and other sites that BB link is required for a BB10. This is not news and has been known for at least a month.
    02-06-13 10:39 AM
    It has worked perfectly fine for my colleagues. It took about 10 minutes. You might want to read the instructions a bit more closely.
    I think he means the desktop client. But there are other threads discussing that.
    02-06-13 10:43 AM
    Not to worry, this guy is getting flamed up like no tomorrow on the NYT site. One post was particularly devastating when they pointed out that the Rideau Hall store he visited sold out in less 4 hours. So his article wasn't even up on the web before his crackerjack reporting was debunked. It makes me chuckle.

That dude has no source. Definitely no more reliable than the author of the article.

I'm glad they're moderating the comments though. Some of the disgusting crap that was posted on there by a few Crackberry trolls was sickening.
    02-06-13 10:44 AM
    First, who's standing in the meal line for a phone on a Tuesday morning? People work, have lives.
    02-06-13 10:46 AM

Sold out means nothing unless you know total units sold. If the store only had 10 devices, its not that impressive. My local sprint store sold out of Palm Pre's at launch in 15 minutes. Of course, it was only 3 units.
    02-06-13 10:48 AM
    Walked into Best Buy in Markham at noon expecting a line up with hard core bb10 fans. No line ups. Spoke to mobile phones sales person. He said they had 8 of 8 mobile sales staff working the day the iPhone (4,4s,5) was launched. They had 8 of 8 sales staff at the Samsung Galaxy launch. They had only 3 sales people for the bb10 launch, and one of them was cleaning the shelves. Furthermore, both iPhone and Samsung launches had line ups-no line ups yesterday! No sales of bb10's at noon, although he said they had a lot of pre-orders and people wait till later to pick then up. Really?? If you pre-order, wouldn't you want to pick up as soon as doors open?? Anyway, a mall walk through of Fido, tel us, wind, rogers and bell kiosks and stores had no line ups either. I personally was looking forward to the new phone, but wasn't very impressed at the look and feel. Definitely better than the iPhone. Screen is bigger and it's better and faster, but it feels small compared to my nexus 4. Typing was cool and intuitive, I didn't get to play with it long enough, but I bet it would be super easy once you get used to it.
    Oh, also heard on the news that the bb10's are not all sold out in the UK as thought. All stores, except for one, still had inventory. I think the white bb10's could have been sold out. Then again, how many white bb10's were actually shipped out?? Anyway, my two pennies... I hope they prove all the nay sayers wrong and succeed! We need Canadian representation and another choice for consumers!!
    02-06-13 10:51 AM
    Oh, also heard on the news that the bb10's are not all sold out in the UK as thought. All stores, except for one, still had inventory.
    You're right to raise the concern, though that's not what was said

"When the website Mobile News contacted the retailer’s customer services and two of its retail stores, all of them said the white handset was still in stock. "

BlackBerry 10: shops deny claims by Thorsten Heins that Z10 phones are selling out - Telegraph

I guess we'll just all need to wait until the Q4 earnings call to learn how it did or didn't do.
    02-06-13 10:57 AM
    Not a single one of these issues has occurred on my Telus Z10. Seems like other 1 post wonders are posting the same issue and yet very few people who have been posting here for a while seem to have the same problem. I'm not drawing any conclusions from that, but..........................................

1). Download Link. What's the big deal?;
    2). So? It takes all of 2 minutes to set up Protect and by the time you're done all the info that you need backed up will be. Just like 1) I don't see the problem here;
    3). My Outlook (and its calender and contacts) is working fine and judging from what I've read here and elsewhere in response to many 1 post wonders it seems to be working for the majority.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 02-06-13 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
    02-06-13 11:04 AM
    say what? The last iPhone launch Apple sold millions of devices over the first few days. Shortages happen because they couldn't make them fast enough. Maybe the Z10 will be a success but its unrealistic to expect the launch to match the iPhone.
    As long as new buyers of the Z10 are in part previous iphone owners it's all good, means Z10 is taking market share from apple.
    02-06-13 11:30 AM
    The Rogers I picked my preordered White Z10 up at 7 PM yesterday, they sold all of the 25 they had recived, I was the last one of the day. Several people came in to inquire about getting one while I was in the store. Thats really good to me for first day at one Rogers, but thats just here in Calgary maybe different other places.
    02-06-13 11:32 AM
    I have been talking with Ian about this story and apparently he did not write the headline, an editor at New York Times took it upon himself to do so. Does not change the body of the message but interesting to see what they do at New York Times, don't they ever learn from their last try at bashing Blackberry?

Edit: Ok, apparently it was the tech editor who wrote the headline.

Kevin, you might want to contact Ian for his next article on Z10 user feedback, better you(Kevin) than some yahooo at BRG.

Can somebody send this to Kevin?
    Ian Austen
    The New York Times
    Canada
    [email protected]
    t 613 236 0621
    m 613 293 5685
    Last edited by TomJasper; 02-06-13 at 12:05 PM.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-06-13 11:38 AM
193 ... 34567 ...