I think people are rightfully cautious about investing in the zed10 given the way RIM has performed these past two years. I think the device is REALLY going to start selling en vigeur once those of us who have bought into the revolution start showing it off. I sold so many people on just the flick keyboard sitting at a bar for after-work drinks last night. This thing is INSANE!
    02-06-13 06:38 AM
    I've read about Apple lines before. A lot of those people are paid to do it. Look it up. They do that kind of advertising and marketing everywhere that you think they wouldn't.

-> Guy at bar "give me blah blah" and people here him and think "what's that? A new brew?!" "Bartender, let me try one of those too!"

Live advertising ^
    Ha ha. Line advertising is soooo true you wouldn't believe it.
    02-06-13 06:41 AM
    Yeah, that article feels pretty darn slanted and not representative of what I'm seeing to be as a pretty successful launch day.

CrackBerry Nation.... go leave some tactful comments educating the author otherwise!

His personal website is here:

ianausten.com

Notice the .mac email ...
    02-06-13 06:48 AM
    Ancaster Rogers which is pretty small had over 30 reservations as far as I could see on the sheet when I got there at 11am. They said it was busy all morning and I had to wait over an hour, I took advantage of the time to call retentions and get a discount on the warranty package. They had also sold all the black non reserved phones and only had a couple of white ones left, I don't know how many extras the stores were sent.
    02-06-13 06:49 AM
    Unless anyone was at the Rideau Mall and can contradict him, the author may be telling the truth. To be fair, I heard a couple of similar reports on the radio here in Montreal.
    The issue I have is that he's making a sweeping statement. "The store in the mall by me didn't have a lineup, therefore, all across Canada, the phone is lackluster".
    02-06-13 06:52 AM
    Yeah, that article feels pretty darn slanted and not representative of what I'm seeing to be as a pretty successful launch day.

CrackBerry Nation.... go leave some tactful comments educating the author otherwise!
    Remember, they have to feed the Wall Street bears.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-06-13 06:54 AM

ianausten.com

Lol! There's quality, unbiased journalism for ya...
    02-06-13 07:01 AM
    I went to numerous stores in the afternoon before I found one. Rogers, bell, Koodo all sold out. I then finally thought of Loblaws called them, they asked which one I wanted made a special order and an hour later I had my phone.
    02-06-13 07:02 AM
    The NY Times story looked at Ottawa. The lack of interest there for the Z10 has been confirmed by CTV News CTV News | News Video - Top National News Headlines - News Videos.

Ottawa region has a population of 750,000. It appears that interest is much higher in the rest of Canada (pop 35 million) with stores selling out (stocks of 8 to 15 units per store but tons of stores and kiosks) and pre-orders for the Z10 have greatly exceeded pre-orders for any previous BlackBerry. That tells me the NY Times reporter put very little effort in news-gathering and basically passed on anecdotal evidence as the basis for his article. His mistake was projecting the results of his inadequate research to the rest of the country.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-06-13 07:23 AM
    I try to remember what BlackBerry is trying to do here, what their trying to do and what we expect them to do. This doesn't happen in one day or one week! It takes a year or two! All indications are that sales over the last few days, in Canada and the UK are all great start!
    Lots of people have a steak in this not happening! This Article will not be the last!
    02-06-13 07:26 AM
    It makes sense that many stores would stock only a dozen or so phones, no shop is going to commit to large quantity of units right away and have potential dead stock in inventory. Now that they've sold off their initial shipment, the reordered stock qty will most likely be significantly higher. People simply playing it safe.
    dietertong and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-06-13 07:32 AM
    It makes sense that many stores would stock only a dozen or so phones, no shop is going to commit to large quantity of units right away and have potential dead stock in inventory.
    I'm not sure how the market is organized in other countries, but there are so many stores and kiosks in Canada that it might not make sense to carry more than a dozen of each brand/model per outlet. When I look at the small (20 or so stores) Bridgeport Plaza near where I live (Waterloo, Ontario), the Z10 is being sold at a Rogers store, a Bell store and Wal-Mart. The larger Conestoga Mall down the road has The Source, a Bell store, a Telus store, a Rogers Plus kiosk, a Zehrs (grocery chain) phone kiosk in store, a Koodo kiosk, a Virgin Mobile kiosk, Best Buy Mobile kiosk, a Fido kiosk, a Wind Mobile kiosk, a Wireless Wave kiosk and a Future Shop store nearby all selling the Z10. I can't envision all these competing outlets each carrying more than the 8 to 15 phones per brand they would normally carry nor would I expect long lines at each and every of the large number of outlets and kiosks doing business here.
    02-06-13 07:56 AM
    I managed to score a Z10 a few days early but I was prepared to line up yesterday if need be. On my walk to work there's a Bell store and when I walked past I noticed it was busy (8:40) although I didn't see a line up. Later I went out for a coffee and popped into the store which was still very much busy. Had a chat with a sales rep and she told me they had sold all 24 they had in stock by 9:15. They couldn't process them all because they had almost 50 pre-orders to process as well so they were selling the phones then setting up appointments to process the new retail accounts. I asked about other stores and she said that it was pretty much the same in other stores in their "area".

This isn't a big store. I suppose as far as Bell goes it would be small-ish, but they were busy all day yesterday with people coming in to ask about the new Z10. They weren't open when I walked past this morning but I'll check in with them later and see how they're doing.

This was just one store and certainly is not indicative of all Bell stores. But if a small store like this one has delivered close to 75 of them in one day plus what ever they've taken as orders on top of that, I'd say the future bodes well for the Z10.
    02-06-13 07:56 AM
    Decided to bypass the comments section and sent the following to the editor instead:

Dear Sir,

Once again the New York Times has chosen to publish an article about BlackBerry which, in this specific case, has a very small amount of truth in it.

Your readers deserve, and expect, more from your journalists than to be lied to.

Your "journalist" needs to either prove his claim that the launch of the BlackBerry Z10 was "lackluster" with actual sales numbers, or he needs to appologise for misrepresenting the truth to your readers.

Just for your information:
    - it has been confirmed from the Canadian carriers that the launch of the Z10 is the best launch for any BlackBerry ever.
    - It is a fact that the phone is sold out in almost (if not all) stores.
    - Canadians, with temperature dropping well bellow freezing are not going to stand outside like morons in line-ups to get any type of phone. That doesn't mean a phone launch is "lackluster" it means Canadians aren't idiots.

As a respected journalistic title, the New York Times is held up as an example of journalistic integrity. The type of opinion garbage should be left to less respectable titles.

I await with interest your reply to this e-mail. I'm wondering if you'll try and spin the stardard form: "it's an opinion piece" crap, or if you'll actually hold up your hands and admit that the article is wrong and should not have been published in that form.

Yours sincerely,

=======================

Si.
    02-06-13 08:17 AM
    It's sad if Canada's capital has much less interest in the product of a Canadian company than other parts of Canada.
    02-06-13 08:18 AM
    Can you post photos on someone's twitter feed? (I don't use Twitter typically). Perhaps people should post their photos of lineups on his Twitter wall. ;-)
    02-06-13 08:19 AM
    In regards to "Eamon Hoey, a management consultant to the telecom sector" in the article you posted, forget what he has to say. The guy is a bought shill,ask him about iTV Games back in 1999 where he was part of the pump and dump, even got on the board of directors to cash in on that iTV Games pump and dump. The snake should be in jail imho! All three companies he has been involved with were pump and dumps, all three delisted,why he gets quoted is beyond me. I know plenty of people who lost tons of $$$ off his scams.
    http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readm...msgid=14400265

Delisted! http://infoventure.tsx.com/TSXVentur...435&HC_FLAG1=Y

It's too bad he muddied a good Blackberry article.
    Read more: BlackBerry Z10 shows some zip on opening day
    An alternative point of view:

BlackBerry Z10 shows some zip on opening day
    Last edited by TomJasper; 02-06-13 at 08:49 AM.
    02-06-13 08:29 AM

Dropping tactful comments now.....
    02-06-13 08:35 AM
    lol. iausten //at// mac.com - guess he doesn't want spam.
    [email protected] - have at er spam spiders.
    02-06-13 08:54 AM
    It's been said on the forums before, but when Apple does a release, its usually only a few stores that have them available (and shortages are expected). With the Z10, there were MANY outlets and carriers selling them. I walked by at least 5 on my way to work in Toronto.
    I live in a large town north of Toronto. Even here, there are 6 places I can get the Z10. When a new iPhone is initially released, there are 2 and neither has much stock.
    02-06-13 09:03 AM
    It's sad if Canada's capital has much less interest in the product of a Canadian company than other parts of Canada.
    From what I've heard, a lot of the interest appeared in "pockets".

I have a few associates who work at various electronics retailers throughout ontario. A couple from eastern ontario said said it was lukewarm, one from the Kitchener area said they completely sold out (works at a larger location) and one from northern ontario said they didn't sell a single Z10, but they did have a few lookers.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple others.

I think the article's headline is misleading and he doesn't have enough data to properly estimate demand. But I wouldn't doubt his news about the Rideau centre.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-06-13 09:09 AM
    [email protected] says it all,lol.

ianausten.com

02-06-13 09:12 AM
    lol. iausten //at// mac.com - guess he doesn't want spam.
    [email protected] - have at er spam spiders.
    Done,lol.

Interesting to note of all the responses(comments) to his article, not one response from an apple/droid user agreeing with his article. That in itself says volumes.
    SixStringMadness likes this.
    02-06-13 09:18 AM
    bhahahaahahahaha....

I just read some of the comments on his post. Oh my. If i was Ian Auten i would just retire permanently from writing articles and just shut down the blog. LMAO. Crackberry fans have spoken! If you are going to bash blackberry you better have your facts straight otherwise you are in for a rude awakening. AWESOME!
    02-06-13 09:47 AM
    The KEY is not really just the launch but three weeks from now, or three months from now will people still be choosing BB over other devices. A "launch" can be manipulated to whatever you want it to be. Send 10 devices to one location and it's a sell out, is not the same as a location that has a 100 devices and is a sell out. But by all accounts carriers seem to be happy with the launch, which to me is a good thing.
    nomi1978 likes this.
    02-06-13 09:50 AM
193 ... 23456 ...