I called about 8 stores around 6:00 pm. All sold out. Best Buy in Milton,ON still had Rogers' white at that time and Bell black. Happy hunting. I'll try again tomorrow.
    02-05-13 07:11 PM
    I called about 8 stores around 6:00 pm. All sold out. Best Buy in Milton,ON still had Rogers' white at that time and Bell black. Happy hunting. I'll try again tomorrow.
    i`ve called a countless stores from rogers to bell to telus and all sold out.
    nduka144m, jesse_h and Bobcat665 like this.
    02-05-13 07:15 PM
    The REAL NYT article, the one that mattered, wasn't buried three levels deep on some bit.blog site with zero comments. It was here and written by David Pogue. And it has 176 comments. So take it with a grain of salt.
    Jake2826 and flyingsolid like this.
    02-05-13 07:16 PM
    Surprising to me, Canada's Global National news had the BlackBerry Canadian launch story at the end of their newscast, and it wasn't particularly positive. They claimed next to no lineups and that at least one major provider had 'lacklustre' pre-sales! Also had too many Apple and iphone references and pics!#$*! But they did show a mobile BB 10 van on the streets, BlackBerry is moving and showing the phone and it's capabilities, which is a good idea. Here is the link to the news story:

New BlackBerry Z10 goes on sale - Global National - Videos | Global National
    02-05-13 07:26 PM
    That is B.S and this thread proves it.
    Funny, I thought that thread verified what the NY times is saying. A few tiny lines (apparently containing RIM employees), no real buzz, and apparently, barely any stock - an attempt to manufacture an artificial sell-out.

Well eventually we may know the real numbers. If there are truly great numbers, we probably won't have to wait long...If RIM sold impressive numbers, they will trumpet it immediately (they'd be stupid not to!!)

To all the people arguing variations on : we Canadians pre-order, get shipment to our houses, won't stand in line, etc. I remind you that even were that true, it does not mean sales have been successful, only that we would then not know whether they have been. In a similar vein, a "sell-out" means nothing either, until we know how many were available.

I can't be the only one - even here - who is getting a bad feeling/impression about today's sales!! Oh well, let's hope for the best I suppose! I suggest we keep our heads though ladies and gents.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-05-13 07:31 PM
    I Cant post below NY ties piece. can any of you?
    02-05-13 07:32 PM
    Surprising to me, Canada's Global National news had the BlackBerry Canadian launch story at the end of their newscast, and it wasn't particularly positive. They claimed next to no lineups and that at least one major provider had 'lacklustre' pre-sales! Also had too many Apple and iphone references and pics!#$*! But they did show a mobile BB 10 van on the streets, BlackBerry is moving and showing the phone and it's capabilities, which is a good idea. Here is the link to the news story:

OK, well I guess I'm not the only one! lol
    02-05-13 07:32 PM

Complaining about no line-ups is ridiculous. I called about 8 stores, mostly Telus, Best Buy, The Source, Wireless Wave, etc..... Almost all sold out. When I asked how many units they had to start with I got answers of 15, 12, 10, 8,4......Of course there were no line-ups, they all sold out in the morning. People don't line up for nothing.
    02-05-13 07:36 PM
    It is quite disturbing that each store only have such few phones or is that normal? It is not surprising that they sell out if that is the case. When will we get any reliable figures?
    richardat likes this.
    02-05-13 07:42 PM
    Unless anyone was at the Rideau Mall and can contradict him, the author may be telling the truth. To be fair, I heard a couple of similar reports on the radio here in Montreal.
    02-05-13 07:42 PM
    I would have to disagree
    02-05-13 07:47 PM
    I've read about Apple lines before. A lot of those people are paid to do it. Look it up. They do that kind of advertising and marketing everywhere that you think they wouldn't.

-> Guy at bar "give me blah blah" and people here him and think "what's that? A new brew?!" "Bartender, let me try one of those too!"

Live advertising ^
    02-05-13 07:51 PM
    It is quite disturbing that each store only have such few phones or is that normal? It is not surprising that they sell out if that is the case. When will we get any reliable figures?
    you need to get inventory where you can sell it, and with no history of sales the best thing is to start at low levels everywhere,
    keep a pile at a central place and then start shipping based on demand, nothing worse than to have piles of inventory in all the
    wrong places...
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-05-13 07:52 PM
    Complaining about no line-ups is ridiculous. I called about 8 stores, mostly Telus, Best Buy, The Source, Wireless Wave, etc..... Almost all sold out. When I asked how many units they had to start with I got answers of 15, 12, 10, 8,4......Of course there were no line-ups, they all sold out in the morning. People don't line up for nothing.
    If an item is extremely popular and there is going to be limited availability there's guaranteed to be a line for it, you only need to look at midnight movie and game releases, but the same applies to technology as well. There is a reason Apple has massive line-ups even with preorders and its because they also purposely leave stock for stores as foot traffic brought to stores tend to yield higher sales as more accessories and items are bought.

Its two very different tales as BB10 sales underwhelm Rideau Centre stores - Technology - Ottawa Business Journal reports that sales were tepid to not even moving at some places to selling out (but no indication on how much stock was allocated to them).
    Blacklatino and richardat like this.
    02-05-13 07:54 PM
    I am not sure what the author is talking about. Here in Calgary, Canada, most stores were sold out of the Z10 and back-orders are now weeks out. I know, as I went to over ten stores trying to buy one. In Toronto, downtown stores had solid demand with several long lines of consumers looking to buy the Z10. Finally, Canadian's in general are not apt to wait in long lines as much as our American counter-parts.(partially due to the cold).
    02-05-13 08:02 PM
    Iphone5 didn't sell out everywhere. Those stories make me so angry. If it's iPhone it 'sold out on launch. Bull. Our local Best Buy Mobile couldn't give them away and I heard that there was lots of stock left over at other Best Buys as well. Of course they ordered a bunch of iphone5's thinking they'd have a line. Nope.

For the Z10 they only ordered 5 originally but got drop shipped more today and I just heard they still have stock.
    bquinney likes this.
    02-05-13 08:06 PM
    I've read about Apple lines before. A lot of those people are paid to do it. Look it up. They do that kind of advertising and marketing everywhere that you think they wouldn't.

-> Guy at bar "give me blah blah" and people here him and think "what's that? A new brew?!" "Bartender, let me try one of those too!"

Live advertising ^
    Do you have credible sources for this? I'm curious...never looked into Apple "lineups" or "launches" before...just wasn't interested! I'd be surprised only because if proven true, it is embarrassing for Apple and obviously, they get a lot of attention. I wouldn't put it past any tech corporation if they felt it in their benefit!

In any case sell-outs certainly prove nothing, as I wrote when it came to Surface (which I thought was a joke of a product), and many other older produces I wrote about on other forums, the sell-out is easily manufactured. On the other hand, when it came to iphone 5, i took "sold out" seriously, ONLY because Apple has a track-record of providing huge quantities....but I still waited to see the numbers of course! If RIM sold huge - or even good- numbers we will hear about it in the next few days.
    02-05-13 08:12 PM
    my first post here

just got a z10 white Rogers today. This phone is amazing and i am die hard android guy just switching to BB 10 ( i did have the bb torch for couple of months). I was the first to get to my Z10 from Rogers Plus Shop in Markham and there were atleast 5-6 ppl in line. I dont see why there would be lineup. There are like billion shops (Rogers/Bell/Futureshop/Bestbuy/Walmart etc) selling and its all spread out very close to each other. What the point standing in line when the the phone is sold out. Maybe iPhones are making ppl dumb

I got the first Samsung Galaxy S when its wasnt even out in Canada so i am big android guy but this phone is just beautiful and the OS is amazing. I would think lots of Android and Iphone guys are secretly jealous and nervous. Even my brother who just got an S3 like two weeks ago is impressed and i bet if he had the choice he would have gotten this over s3 but know its too late. so its no suprise they are jumping the gun and celebrating supposed weak start without seeing the numbers.
    02-05-13 08:16 PM
    Let them report what they want. If the street thinks sales are lackluster, that just means an even more explosive move for $BBRY when they announce numbers that beat expectations.
    bquinney likes this.
    02-05-13 08:29 PM
    I was in a line for 2 hrs waiting for the blackberry 10 at Cornwall center in Regina, luckily I got the last black one, the sales lady told me that they only have one white unit left, they sold 20 units in 2 hrs, pretty impressive for a city with population of 200,000. And she also told me that she hasn't seen lineup like this for BlackBerry since the storm
    02-05-13 08:31 PM
    Funny, I thought that thread verified what the NY times is saying. A few tiny lines (apparently containing RIM employees), no real buzz, and apparently, barely any stock - an attempt to manufacture an artificial sell-out.

Well eventually we may know the real numbers. If there are truly great numbers, we probably won't have to wait long...If RIM sold impressive numbers, they will trumpet it immediately (they'd be stupid not to!!)

To all the people arguing variations on : we Canadians pre-order, get shipment to our houses, won't stand in line, etc. I remind you that even were that true, it does not mean sales have been successful, only that we would then not know whether they have been. In a similar vein, a "sell-out" means nothing either, until we know how many were available.

I can't be the only one - even here - who is getting a bad feeling/impression about today's sales!! Oh well, let's hope for the best I suppose! I suggest we keep our heads though ladies and gents.
    I don't know what you consider barely any stock but a small Rogers store having 45 units not reserved, and another 50 that were, seems like healthy stock levels to me. When I got there, there was about 12 people in line ahead of me, 3 sitting with reps, and others mulling about waiting there turn. The whole time I was there, approx 45 minutes, there was between 15-20 people, some leaving, some arriving. Just because we aren't camped out outside of the store before it opens on a winter Tuesday morning, doesn't mean there's not a demand. Also, just as a side note, I noticed 3 iPhones being upgraded to Z10's.

You may not be the only one here getting a bad feeling, but rest assured, you're not alone in being wrong either.
    02-05-13 08:35 PM
    What the heck?

That link doesn't render for me in Firefox, Chrome or IE.

Anyone else have this problem? Are people correcting them via comments?
    02-05-13 08:37 PM

Indeed smart words all around. Thank you guru of sales
    richardat and Blacklatino like this.
    02-05-13 08:52 PM
    I don't know what you consider barely any stock but a small Rogers store having 45 units not reserved, and another 50 that were, seems like healthy stock levels to me. When I got there, there was about 12 people in line ahead of me, 3 sitting with reps, and others mulling about waiting there turn. The whole time I was there, approx 45 minutes, there was between 15-20 people, some leaving, some arriving. Just because we aren't camped out outside of the store before it opens on a winter Tuesday morning, doesn't mean there's not a demand. Also, just as a side note, I noticed 3 iPhones being upgraded to Z10's.

You may not be the only one here getting a bad feeling, but rest assured, you're not alone in being wrong either.
    I got that impressions, as I mentioned, purely from anecdotal reports. Many are reporting much smaller numbers than you are, as in 10 or less. Good to have more feedback though. As to being wrong, yes, you are not alone ;-)
    02-05-13 09:04 PM
    Indeed smart words all around. Thank you guru of sales
    I liked this, because it was a well thought out, valuable contribution!

I do remember what it was like to be a teen/tween and think that a sarcasm-only response was cool ;-) Crazy kid!
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-05-13 09:17 PM
193 1234 ...