I think they will change the design but I honestly don't see them making a game changing device. I can't really think of a lot of new functionality they can add at this point so maybe a few new features and more polishing of the OS.
    If the iPhone 5 is 4G/LTE that will be a pretty big change. Lack of LTE is why I didn't get the 4S.
    03-13-12 06:16 AM
    I think my Torch is great with 7.1, and no one I know has any idea how much BBs have improved since OS 5, let alone even older devices. I show or tell some, but they still have an ingrained negative image, and with the other devices being popular, they don't want to really even consider BB. It is usually a choice between dozens of Androids and the iPhones. My wife will be eligible for a new device at the end of the year. She is sick of iPhones, but she isn't receptive to BB at all, just because of her experience with an 8530 they still use at work. She just thinks she wants an Android, without knowing anything about them. It's all about marketing and perception.
    Marketing and perception are a major problem, no doubt. But so is the lack of apps. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes reading through the forums to see how far RIM is behind with apps and relationships with developers. Even if RIM can put out competitive hardware, it needs to greatly improve its apps or it wont matter how good the OS 10 devices are.
    03-13-12 06:18 AM
    I think they will change the design but I honestly don't see them making a game changing device. I can't really think of a lot of new functionality they can add at this point so maybe a few new features and more polishing of the OS.
    A redesigned 4G LTE iPhone 5, most likely with upgraded internals, camera, and battery, would be a game changer. Add in software 6.0, and you have the best selling smartphone of all time.

If they can match the iphone 4 battery life with the LTE chips, I see a very successful product.
    vrs626 likes this.
    03-13-12 08:43 AM
    A redesigned 4G LTE iPhone 5, most likely with upgraded internals, camera, and battery, would be a game changer. Add in software 6.0, and you have the best selling smartphone of all time.

If they can match the iphone 4 battery life with the LTE chips, I see a very successful product.
    Very successful yes, but still not a game changer. I don't think there is anything companies can do in the next couple years that are true game changers. iOS6 will be good obviously, but what possible added functionality could they have at this point?

Hardware wise, better internals are always welcome, but not a game changer as it is already fast. They already have the best camera in a phone, so again not a game changer. Awesome battery technology is still a few years away at best.

All I am saying is it will be a very nice upgrade and will sell tons, but the functionality is going to be the same.
    03-13-12 09:53 AM
    Marketing and perception are a major problem, no doubt. But so is the lack of apps. All you have to do is spend 5 minutes reading through the forums to see how far RIM is behind with apps and relationships with developers. Even if RIM can put out competitive hardware, it needs to greatly improve its apps or it wont matter how good the OS 10 devices are.
    I think RIM is working on that. I've been running apps on my BBs for many years, well before iPhone, so apps were always there, but with the iPhone and Android devices, apps have exploded and the quality has really been improved. RIM has built some great apps themselves, and have had great features built into the OS so that an app for a certain feature was unnecessary.

RIM recognizes that you can't do it alone, and are really working toward making it easier to develop for BB and have really made the tools better and more diverse for the PB and BB10. Because of public perception though, they are going to have to pull a Microsoft and start giving incentives to developers (especially the big ones), just to fill the holes. They've done some of that with some popular games, but media content apps (like streaming video) is a huge gaping hole that I hope they can rectify. Video Store is good in a pinch, but we really need to popular services available.

I'm optimistic that marquee apps will make their way to BB10 hopefully sooner than later.
    03-13-12 11:55 AM
    I think RIM is working on that. I've been running apps on my BBs for many years, well before iPhone, so apps were always there, but with the iPhone and Android devices, apps have exploded and the quality has really been improved. RIM has built some great apps themselves, and have had great features built into the OS so that an app for a certain feature was unnecessary.

RIM recognizes that you can't do it alone, and are really working toward making it easier to develop for BB and have really made the tools better and more diverse for the PB and BB10. Because of public perception though, they are going to have to pull a Microsoft and start giving incentives to developers (especially the big ones), just to fill the holes. They've done some of that with some popular games, but media content apps (like streaming video) is a huge gaping hole that I hope they can rectify. Video Store is good in a pinch, but we really need to popular services available.

I'm optimistic that marquee apps will make their way to BB10 hopefully sooner than later.
    I hope you're right. But look at the thread about the MLB At 2012 app. The NBA, NHL and now MLB have stopped developing for BlackBerry. Thats not a good sign.
    03-13-12 12:17 PM
    It's more than a couple of developers. EA sports is not exactly active with BB anymore. NPR has dropped support. And there are new rumors that Flash support will not be coming to BB10. RIM is still stuck in 2006 thinking. Apple builds suspense by not leaking any info. RIMM can't do that. They should be showing the new devices and their capabilities with occassional video 'look ins' at where they are in the development stage. They are only building dread and disinterest by trying to emulate Apple here.
    03-13-12 12:22 PM
    Hardware wise, better internals are always welcome, but not a game changer as it is already fast. They already have the best camera in a phone, so again not a game changer. Awesome battery technology is still a few years away at best.
    Is it? Cause Apple is currently launching the best screen technology available with a 4G LTE chip added and is getting the same battery life as last years generation, which lacked both.

All I am saying is it will be a very nice upgrade and will sell tons, but the functionality is going to be the same.
    Maybe for what you use it for, yes, but I'm sure there will be functionality added for some users. There always is. For me? I'm just going to be looking to upgrade to a LTE phone this year. Still up in the air of which phone I'll pick.
    03-13-12 12:23 PM
    It's all about marketing and perception.
    I think you can eliminate marketing, so it's just perception now.

'Be Bold' is a bust: Ad blitz didn't help BlackBerry 7 sales in Feb
    03-13-12 12:26 PM
    It's more than a couple of developers. EA sports is not exactly active with BB anymore. NPR has dropped support. And there are new rumors that Flash support will not be coming to BB10. RIM is still stuck in 2006 thinking. Apple builds suspense by not leaking any info. RIMM can't do that. They should be showing the new devices and their capabilities with occassional video 'look ins' at where they are in the development stage. They are only building dread and disinterest by trying to emulate Apple here.
    Ok so exactly why would you build new apps for the existing BB OS? As a dev I know I wouldnt. From what I recall reading BB Java was/is painful to build on. So yea...BBOS is dead. Playbook is a 'first' look at the QNX OS from an user stand point and BB 10 devices are around the corner. Its a transition, so your going to get this weak knee 'jes everyone is leaving' feeling. I disagree that RIM needs to show their hand, but they do need to instill some confidence in the space, mention (app) partners as you get closer to a launch date. Stuff that matters, but in a non-technical way.
    03-13-12 12:36 PM
    I understand that, but they also can't tip there hand to their competitors either. I agree with showing previews, but at the same time I know it wouldn't be smart in the sense that other competitors know what you have well before you are releasing it.
    03-13-12 12:59 PM
    Is it? Cause Apple is currently launching the best screen technology available with a 4G LTE chip added and is getting the same battery life as last years generation, which lacked both.

Maybe for what you use it for, yes, but I'm sure there will be functionality added for some users. There always is. For me? I'm just going to be looking to upgrade to a LTE phone this year. Still up in the air of which phone I'll pick.
    First off, you don't know what I use my phones for. Second, the added functionality won't be a game changer. That is all I am pointing out. It isn't going to be a wow factor that makes the iPhone a must have phone that kills everything. They have already launched Retina display and other manufacturers already have LTE phones and tablets, so all I am pointing out is that the next iPhone and iOS6 will be good, but not revolutionary.
    03-13-12 01:03 PM
    Tip their hand? To what? WHAT do you think RIM will come out with that IOS and Android do not or will not have at that point? No offense, but seriously stop and think for a moment how far behind the handhelds are to even the PB. There is no concern about industrial espionage here.
    03-13-12 01:08 PM
    First off, you don't know what I use my phones for.
    That's why I said maybe.
    03-13-12 01:15 PM
    Tip their hand? To what? WHAT do you think RIM will come out with that IOS and Android do not or will not have at that point? No offense, but seriously stop and think for a moment how far behind the handhelds are to even the PB. There is no concern about industrial espionage here.
    It's not that they will have something the others don't, they might not want to show what their user interface will look like yet. Maybe there are other reasons that none of us will know but it is their job and they get paid to think of the scenarios that may come from their actions so that is why I think they may not want to show it too early. If it made sense to show it early and preview it, then they would.
    Last edited by Snipperdo17; 03-13-12 at 01:24 PM.
    03-13-12 01:20 PM
    I think the issue right now is that they are trying to maintain sales of the current devices as best they can for the next couple of quarters. If they aren't careful about that, they may not be a single independent company by the time BB10 is ready.
    Snipperdo17 likes this.
    03-13-12 01:24 PM

I believe that the lack of LTE Blackberry devices is a big issue now. VZW already has LTE in 196 cities.

AT&T has LTE in 28 cities, with 12 more cities getting LTE this spring and summer.

If customers in LTE markets are eligible for upgrades, they are most likely going to want devices that support LTE.
    brucep1 likes this.
    03-13-12 01:40 PM
    I find it funny that they're probably using super old BlackBerrys and they complain. Upgrade your BlackBerrys to current models and then we'll see.
    03-13-12 02:21 PM
    I think you can eliminate marketing, so it's just perception now.

'Be Bold' is a bust: Ad blitz didn't help BlackBerry 7 sales in Feb
    Marketing is more than one ad campaign though. They need to keep at it, get more product placement. It won't change overnight.

Perception is a tough one. People that have never used BB think it is crap just from what others say. There are also those that have used older devices that remember the issues and perhaps didn't fully utilize its strengths, who don't really know of the BB7 improvements. Perception is influenced by marketing, but word-of-mouth and actual hands-on experience are more important. The problem is RIM can't put these devices into people's hands and really show them the features. When everyone knows about "iPhone" and "Android" (even those that know nothing about phones), they are going to go with what is familiar, even if just in name.

Perception will change with a revolutionary UI experience from TAT, as long as they can pull it off. If it can wow, it will be a real differentiator. As long as they plug the holes of contention (specific apps, hardware), they have a good chance of turning the tide.
    03-13-12 02:54 PM
    Not a surprise, it seems that less companies are willing to purchase devices and issue them, employees and workers are bringing their own devices to their IT department.
    03-13-12 05:35 PM
    Where to begin with this load of hogwash...

How about this glaring idiocy...

"Playbook has been the most important part of a well-balanced breakfast for the D.C elite since 2007, when it was designed to be read paragraph-by-paragraph by hitting the BlackBerry space bar. BlackBerry's attempt at a tablet is called, um, PlayBook."

It's comedy, right? Somebody tell me it's bad comedy....
    No NY Mag has always been bad. It's the tabloid magazine of NY, most people read the New Yorker -better writing, better events coverage. What does surprise me however, given the vicious ,scandal driven,gossip addled nature of Capitol Hill ,is how these other phones are a hacker's paradise. I can almost imagine Rupert Murdoch giving them away. It's almost as though phone hacking will become the next form of communication in Washington. No wonder Obama is hanging on to his BlackBerry
    Last edited by Apelles1; 03-13-12 at 06:54 PM.
    03-13-12 06:37 PM
    I find it funny that they're probably using super old BlackBerrys and they complain. Upgrade your BlackBerrys to current models and then we'll see.
    Why update to an OS 7 device, which has awful apps and no LTE, when OS 10 is coming out soon?
    03-13-12 06:53 PM
    Total hogwash. Mods, if you can, please close this.
    03-13-12 07:14 PM
    That is some superb link bait, right thuurr!
    03-13-12 07:30 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD