OK ....time to walk the talk. I am invested in RIMM@$11.80. After using an iPhone for 2 years and deciding that I have enough of a toy-not-communicator, and after doing some research, I've decided that BB is the way to go.

My priorities:

1. Good reception.

Was using a Nokia E51 before the iPhone. Since switching to iPhone, while on usual long driving trips, have been losing/dropping receptions like crazy - unlike the Nokia. Previously with the Nokia, reception continues in the lift. With the iPhone, when lift door closes, end of conversation to resume at next level. Was at a meeting recently, iPhone nil/zilch reception. Person beside me with BB moving fingers vigorously.

2. Battery life.
    iPhone can't even last me through the day. Whenever I move around, either I look for an empty USB port or power supply. This is NOT, so NOT mobility. Where I used to travel for a couple of days without charger with the E51, I am practically tethered with the iPhone. And I can't even carry spare batteries. Video with iPhone? Forget it if you want to last a day......

3. Texting.
    Have literally walked into everything since the iPhone. Rubbish keyboard - give me something physical any day!

4. Phone calls
    Can't believe the amount of calls I've missed with the iPhone. Swipe to answer? More like swipe to clean your tips!

As a toy, I use the iPad. Way better than the iPhone but of course I can't communicate with the iPad.

Now the question here .....considering the above points, as a BB noob .....which would be a better BB for myself - 9900 or the 9360 ?
    bluetroll likes this.
    05-13-12 09:12 AM
    Get a 9930.

Now I'm off to get me some popcorn and beer to sit back and enjoy the show.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-13-12 09:24 AM
    Definitely the 9930 the only decent BB out right now IMO.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    05-13-12 09:47 AM
    Bad reception and battery life? I call Shananigans!
    05-13-12 09:55 AM
    The battery life on the 9900 is...let's say not good, meaning that it won't last you a day like with your Nokia, and I believe not a single smartphone out there suffice this need. For anything else you point out, the BB is way better phone than an iPhone or Nokia.
    05-13-12 09:56 AM
    It depends, are you looking to stay touch or going back to physical keyboard? If you're going touchscreen I recommend the Torch 9850, I love mine.
    05-13-12 09:57 AM
    Go with the Bold 9930. It has the best keyboard on any current smartphone. It's a great communication device.
    05-13-12 10:25 AM
    Another Iphone bites the dust! Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 10:30 AM
    Get a 9900. And grab a spare battery. Unlike the iPhone you can quickly change batteries with the Bold.

My guess is the Curve has better battery life. But the Bold is so much nicer that I would just carry a spare battery to get you by during heavy use, or if you are spending lots of time without being linked to WiFi and in a weak cell signal area. (which will drain battery fast).
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    05-13-12 10:37 AM
    I agree with #4 iPhones get a lot of drop calls
    That is by far the number 1 complaint I get from customers
    with the iPhone4/4S.
    This is not talked about much on forums as people don't discuss the
    iPhones faults much.
    Battery life is actually good on the iPhone4/4s if you don't run
    apps/games. If you use it for just text/calls and music it has
    better battery life then the Bold 9900.

Get a 9900. And grab a spare battery. Unlike the iPhone you can quickly change batteries with the Bold.

My guess is the Curve has better battery life. But the Bold is so much nicer that I would just carry a spare battery to get you by during heavy use, or if you are spending lots of time without being linked to WiFi and in a weak cell signal area. (which will drain battery fast).
    Yes man having a spare battery is the best. I will never have a dead phone
    I have a spare battery in my car and at work. $15 dollars on Ebay for the
    spare battery and charger. Although with the latest 7.1.0.378 update I have
    no need for them anymore battery life now is amazing.
    Last edited by llllBULLSEYE; 05-13-12 at 11:02 AM.
    05-13-12 10:57 AM
    I dumped iPhone for the very same reasons as you. I have the BB 9900 and it is perfect, couple that with a Playbook and you have the best combo out there. The keyboard is excellent but the main reason I like the BB 9900/9930 so much is editing my email before I send it out. With the iPhone it is so difficult to edit your message, correct spelling and insert words, with the combo keyboard and mouse you can instantly move to the space and edit/add words or letters and tune up that message so you don't look like a moron. I found that far too many iPhone messages went out incomplete. The typing is so poor on an iPhone.

I'm loading up with RIM stock, by the end of this month I will own a ton of it as I believe we are in for some real suprises this summer and I want to hold a position. GL
    sledhead800 likes this.
    05-13-12 11:07 AM
    Yes man having a spare battery is the best. I will never have a dead phone
    I have a spare battery in my car and at work. $15 dollars on Ebay for the
    spare battery and charger. Although with the latest 7.1.0.378 update I have
    no need for them anymore battery life now is amazing.
    Yes lots of folks are reluctant to carry spares. But the battery for the Bold 99xx is very slim and small -- easy to pocket.

Unfortunately, there is this disturbing "trend" of not having removable batteries just to make devices a little thinner. I do *not* like that at all.
    05-13-12 11:09 AM
    Yes and I don't like that trend at all.
    One of the main reasons I disliked my old iPhone.
    Hope RIM keeps the removable battery.
    05-13-12 11:14 AM
    Go with either 9900 or 9360 ...ur choice as far as feel of the KB goes..My preference would be 9900
    But lets set the expectations right...
    The Signal will depend on your carrier
    And battery life of these two devices aren't something to write home about and if u have used BB in the past..you will have settle for a little inferior battery life..

Rest as u mentioned.. Typing, Answering calls and overall using it as a real TOOL! You got it sir.. 9900 or 9360 are devices to go for!

Sent from my Tool, not the 'Toy'
    05-13-12 12:14 PM
    I dumped iPhone for the very same reasons as you. I have the BB 9900 and it is perfect, couple that with a Playbook and you have the best combo out there. The keyboard is excellent but the main reason I like the BB 9900/9930 so much is editing my email before I send it out. With the iPhone it is so difficult to edit your message, correct spelling and insert words, with the combo keyboard and mouse you can instantly move to the space and edit/add words or letters and tune up that message so you don't look like a moron. I found that far too many iPhone messages went out incomplete. The typing is so poor on an iPhone.
    I don't know why the subject of editing text on mobile devices is ignored as much as it is. I have yet to see any touch screen of any size that makes editing text as easy and clean as it is with BB's keyboard and trackpad. Yeah, maybe some people can type as fast on a touch screen as they can with physical keys, but try correcting any typos and the myriad words mis-substituted by auto-correct. For this reason I absolutely hate typing on the PlayBook, even though the keyboard is about four times larger than the Bold's keys or any phone's virtual ones. If you do any kind of serious message composition on a mobile device, you simply cannot beat BB's keyboards.

@OP, as several others have already stated, 9900 or 9930 is highly recommended. Good luck!
    05-13-12 12:18 PM
    The battery life on my 9360 is awesome, unlike my crappy by comparison 9900. I get a day and a half easy on my 9360.
    05-13-12 12:22 PM
    I don't know why the subject of editing text on mobile devices is ignored as much as it is. I have yet to see any touch screen of any size that makes editing text as easy and clean as it is with BB's keyboard and trackpad. Yeah, maybe some people can type as fast on a touch screen as they can with physical keys, but try correcting any typos and the myriad words mis-substituted by auto-correct. For this reason I absolutely hate typing on the PlayBook, even though the keyboard is about four times larger than the Bold's keys or any phone's virtual ones. If you do any kind of serious message composition on a mobile device, you simply cannot beat BB's keyboards.

@OP, as several others have already stated, 9900 or 9930 is highly recommended. Good luck!
    I don't have my pb anymore, but I understand it's using a version of SwiftKey. Does the keyboard on the pb have a virtual d-pad? The beta of SwiftKey 3 has one and this is a feature that would be AMAZING to implement on BB10. It would definitely help physical keyboard users get situated with a virtual keyboard if they wanted to try it out.
    05-13-12 12:28 PM
    I think call quality is SLIGHTLY better on Blackberry, but I never missed calls on my Iphone4...think maybe its your reception area?

Battery? - the 9900 is the flagship but I have news for you...your iPhone will beat the 9900 in battery anyday. My 9900 could be dead in 4-5hrs under heavy use. Don't even think about using it on a microcell either (3hrs) I tried 2 different ones and returned both.

I now use an older 9700 Bold (awesome) and a new curve 9360. prefer the bold keyboard but 9930 is slim and great to carry. I get an easy full day battery our of each even under heavy use. Both are way better than iPhone in the battery department. I refuse to manage battery juice like an android user etc....I leave everything on for convenience (wifi bluetooth etc) Im not turning things on and off as I go places during the day. If a phone cant handle that, its gone.

I'm not into carrying and charging spare batts, but if you don't mind the 9900 is nice....otherwise look into 9930 (test drive the keyboard) Lightweight thin and lasts forever.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by G550Pilot; 05-13-12 at 12:34 PM.
    05-13-12 12:32 PM
    A great thread that proves the point that it is not what the best phone out there rather what phone is best for you.... that is the message RIM needs to run with....
    05-13-12 12:49 PM
    Yeah definitely grab a 99xx.

Sent from my 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 02:00 PM
    Considering some nice battery packs/cases are available (I used a lovely red Mophie Juice Pack), I see no real advantage to being able to swap batteries. In fact, I would argue the cases are preferable since you never stop anything and don't have to open anything. So a no-removable battery is largely irrelevant.
    05-13-12 05:19 PM
    Considering some nice battery packs/cases are available (I used a lovely red Mophie Juice Pack), I see no real advantage to being able to swap batteries. In fact, I would argue the cases are preferable since you never stop anything and don't have to open anything. So a no-removable battery is largely irrelevant.
    that depends on if you like cases or not,

I prefer to not case my device, if I'm going to have a thin device I'm going to keep it that way by not adding 10-20mm of case around it.

I do hate the 2-4 minutes downtime, and then the potential 2-3 minutes email/bbm catch up time as they all download over HSPA, when I do swap my battery, but bringing 3 batteries with me on a trip to get 48 hours out of my device and it taking very little space is far preferable to me bringing 2 or 3 cases
    05-13-12 05:24 PM
    OK ....time to walk the talk. I am invested in RIMM@$11.80. After using an iPhone for 2 years and deciding that I have enough of a toy-not-communicator, and after doing some research, I've decided that BB is the way to go.

My priorities:

1. Good reception.

Was using a Nokia E51 before the iPhone. Since switching to iPhone, while on usual long driving trips, have been losing/dropping receptions like crazy - unlike the Nokia. Previously with the Nokia, reception continues in the lift. With the iPhone, when lift door closes, end of conversation to resume at next level. Was at a meeting recently, iPhone nil/zilch reception. Person beside me with BB moving fingers vigorously.

2. Battery life.
    iPhone can't even last me through the day. Whenever I move around, either I look for an empty USB port or power supply. This is NOT, so NOT mobility. Where I used to travel for a couple of days without charger with the E51, I am practically tethered with the iPhone. And I can't even carry spare batteries. Video with iPhone? Forget it if you want to last a day......

3. Texting.
    Have literally walked into everything since the iPhone. Rubbish keyboard - give me something physical any day!

4. Phone calls
    Can't believe the amount of calls I've missed with the iPhone. Swipe to answer? More like swipe to clean your tips!

As a toy, I use the iPad. Way better than the iPhone but of course I can't communicate with the iPad.

Now the question here .....considering the above points, as a BB noob .....which would be a better BB for myself - 9900 or the 9360 ?
    I would recommend the Bold 9930 over the Curve any day of the week. It's simply a much better phone and it should meet all of your priorities aside from the battery life.

I'm not sure what model of iPhone you had, but the 9900 most likely won't surpass it in battery if you're using it for the same things.
    05-13-12 05:26 PM
    Battery life sucks on the 9900/9930 just to let you know. The signal quality is the same, depends on your carrier and service (Apple fixed the antenna issue in the 4S). If communication is your priority then the only benefit to you will be BBM, if you have other people using it.
    05-13-12 08:49 PM
    And get a PlayBook while you are at it.
    05-13-12 08:51 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD