I'm fairly new to blackberry my first bb was the torch 9800 next I got the bold 9900 and have not looked back since even compared to the GS 2 and 3 which my wife loves have felt no need for a new phone. I would like to get my hands on the Q10 but no rush the bold just feels so classic yet elegant looking and does everything I need it to I just hope bb stays true to their roots and makes some devices that really look like a BB not an android or iphone with the new bb10 OS. My point is bbO7 really is great do we really need to flow from on app to the next or check our messages every second? Coming from the #1 blackberry fan in Central California!
    02-11-13 11:30 PM
    No I completely agree the bold 9900 is a great advice. But what I and many others hated on the bbos7,6,5 devices were the constant freezing and rebooting that was required. It was a very unstable phone if you were browsing the Web or doing anything that wasn't an email or message

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 11:45 PM
    OS7 is mostly quite fine. Messaging is great. Browser is sufficient. But no apps (new ones) are really coming. And there are two things about it that are glaringly sub par. One the reboot times. Two the time to install apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-11-13 11:47 PM
    Yes we do need more apps for sure
    02-11-13 11:50 PM
    i currently love my 9320 with OS 7.1... as a communication device it is really good... even the looks has style to it... i recently upgraded from a 8520 and this one feels much better and faster... will be getting a BB10 someday, but will be waiting for a bit...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 12:06 AM
    I have it in my will that I shall be buried with my 9810 and my '86 F150. Os7 does everything I want and need and I like keeping things simple. I'm waiting (maybe in vain) for the next gen slider and if it doesn't come, I'll be going for the Q. The Z type phone is just not conducive to my lifestyle and I'm quite sure that I'm not alone. Os7 is plenty quick enough for me, I do keep the phone clean though.
    02-12-13 12:43 AM
    I agree there is not much wrong with BB7 and 6. I myself am very happy with my 9700 with BB6 on it despite a memory leak. It beats BB4 and 5 big time. My only complaint is the browser has trouble with some sites and closes claiming the page is too big.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 01:11 AM
    In terms of pure communication, OS7 is unmatched even by BB10. It had BIS, it had one button access to the universal hub, it had the profile and LED customizations, etc... Of course in terms of everything else, BB10 crushes it.
    02-12-13 01:21 AM
    Messaging, battery life and sex appeal my 9930 takes the cake. I enjoy it and I might miss it alot with bb10. Only time will tell. But I will keep it forever. Only within the last year I got rid of my 9000
    02-12-13 01:53 AM
    There's a lot to like in OS6 and 7.

Frankly I haven't had any of the "constant crashing and freezing problems" that other people claim to have, but there's also a tendency to exaggerate things like this. Pulling the battery once per month doesn't constitute "constant crashing" in my mind.

I really appreciate the customizability of OS6/7 and being able to make the device function the way I want it to.
    undone likes this.
    02-12-13 02:25 AM
    Except for the (comparatively) lack of apps, BB7 is an awesome OS. I can zip through tasks ridiculously fast with BB7 compared to even some of the latest Androids and the iPhone.

Also, if you monitor what apps you install you won't get the crazy freezes (so much freezing seems to be due to poorly coded apps). I'm on 7.1.0.746 and have not had any random prolonged freezing, and boot time has remained the same as it was when I first wiped the phone and installed 746.

If the 9800 had released with the same hardware as the 9810, I think the market would be a very different place today.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 02:43 AM
    I think OS7 is alright but they've bolted so many features onto it that it was never designed for. I remember my first BB, the Bold 9000 - and excitedly spending days reading the instruction book and going through the hundreds of options and setup stages and settings. That's fun for a tech geek - but not good at all for the general consumer. Back then it didn't have touch screen, an app store, a music store, context-menus...

They bolted all of that stuff on and it's clunky. My 9900 runs smoothly without apps but the moment you download things to it, it starts to grind to a halt and you get caught with the 'clock of doom' spinning on the screen for ages.

BB10 is an OS fit for now. It worries me that they say they'll still be using BB10 "for the next ten years" because that's what they did with BBOS and look how that turned out - it nearly sank the company.
    02-12-13 04:36 AM
    Loved my 9900. Did everything I asked it to do. The difference is with my Z10 I am asking it to do more than I would have my 9900.
    02-12-13 05:01 AM
    After experiencing the browser speed on the Z10, my 9900 seems that much slower this week...... Love my phone for communication but that is about all.
    02-12-13 06:44 AM
    @OP: Your d*mn straight I've been screaming the same thing you're saying for a long time. People were tearing their hair out waiting for the second they could pick up a Z10 and I was contented to the T with this. Likewise, when the 9900's came out, and for a long time thereafter, I carried my 9650. Money constraints were present but I've always been thoroughly satisfied with every device i've owned, almost. I had a Storm2 once and found myself not incredibly miserable with it, but it has to be the least favorite 'Berry i've ever had.

Anyway, don't let the hype bother you. BBOS works just awesome all depending upon the user. I likewise never had a bunch of crashing or freezing and my battery life has always been just fine.
    02-12-13 07:25 AM
    I'm fairly new to blackberry my first bb was the torch 9800 next I got the bold 9900 and have not looked back since even compared to the GS 2 and 3 which my wife loves have felt no need for a new phone. I would like to get my hands on the Q10 but no rush the bold just feels so classic yet elegant looking and does everything I need it to I just hope bb stays true to their roots and makes some devices that really look like a BB not an android or iphone with the new bb10 OS. My point is bbO7 really is great do we really need to flow from on app to the next or check our messages every second? Coming from the #1 blackberry fan in Central California!
    Shame OS7 is paired with rubbish hardware. awful, awful battery life In any area where reception isn't awesome.
    When you throw in the lags, freezing and spinning clocks, the 9900 is probably the most unreliable phone I've ever used.

Good thing my import z10 should be in my hands tomorrow. I can't wait to discard my 9900.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-12-13 07:31 AM
    If there was nothing wrong with O7, then Blackberry would have a much larger market share than they do at present. Hopefully BB10 will turn this around.
    This is precisely the situation which faced Harley Davidson in the mid 70's and early 80's...there was a steadily shrinking core who was satisfied with their old designs, and many more who had abandoned HD for other, more modern, better functioning motorcycles. The new Evo engine designs which appeared in 1984 and 85 saved the company, bringing back thousands of former HD riders, and converting many who had never owned a HD.
    I never owned one of the old Blackberries, but I DO own a Playbook, and I like the OS it uses much better than Android. Here's hoping BB10 will turn around Blackberry's fortunes the same way the Evo motor did HD's.
    02-12-13 09:08 AM
    I'm perfectly happy with my 9930. Do I want a better browser and a bigger screen? Yes. Do I want a hub and flow and peek? Yes. But it's the ability to customize my 9930 that's keeping me from upgrading...custom sound profiles, individual volume settings for alerts, LED color control for notifications, outlook syncing, PB bridging, etc. All things that the new OS needs to have added back in or adjusted before I upgrade.

I was pissed originally that we had to wait a month down here in the States for the Z10...but now, I'm ok with that. I'm willing to wait a few more months for the Z10 to mature before I make the switch.
    kenorian likes this.
    02-12-13 09:20 AM
    The US delay in release of the new devices made me take another look at my trusty Bold 9930. I wish it had 4G but, other than that, I am really quite happy with it. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have almost no reboots - it just does what I want it to.

I've got five kids between 22 and 25 (2nd marriage) who are all really tech savvy. Four of the five have iPhones and droides. One is a US Navy Submariner and Navy Diver. He's probably the most demanding of the bunch in so many ways both on himself and other people and things. He has a Bold and laughs at the fascination and preoccupation his brothers and sisters have with their phones. He, like me, thinks the Bold is a great tool to do what he needs to get done.

Then again, he and I both drive stick shift cars!

Bottom line.... use what you like and don't feel like you have to follow the crowd - especially as long as you are aware of what the crowd might be following and have made a decision to use what you prefer.
    02-12-13 09:28 AM
    OS7 tends to be criticized, though sometimes unfairly. Ie. "BlackBerry never updated the thing or made any improvements". It definitely matured, and a recent stint on an old 4.2.2 device reminded me of how much it had.

That said, there were a couple of serious limitations with OS7 they never quite got around. There were still stability & lag issues with freezing, hour-glassing that took away from the device. RIM tried to improve it with OS 7, which was snappy out of the box but would still encounter these issues, especially as the device got more used.

The bigger issue for consumers is how it handled apps. There were limitations to how big an app could be, how many apps could be stored on the device, how the device performed when installing apps and the reboot and load up time required once an app installed. It was just glaringly bad and old.

Here's an example: My old Bold had like 768 MB to store apps in. The apps tended to be small in size, like 5 megs or less. I like to play video games.

When i got my PlayBook, I downloaded a 1 gb game called "THE BARD'S TALE". The game was bigger than all my 9900 apps combined. When I downloaded it, it quietly downloaded in the background while I used other apps - the PlayBook didn't slow down at all. When it was done, the game just ran. No reboot and 10 minute startup time. It just ran. I even had other software updates going and no performance issues or reboots.

In an app-centric market, this was such a glaring problem.
    02-12-13 09:39 AM
    There is nothing about OS7 that could keep me from upgrading to BB10. I love my 9900, but then the completely random freezes, long reboots, battery pulls, and subpar battery life upset me more and more everyday. The performance of BB10 alone makes me want to upgrade. Just my opinion
    02-12-13 12:32 PM
    whatever bb device you have, you're part of the family...

As much as I want the Q10...there are benefits to waiting.
    Bugs Bugs and more Bugs. Best to wait and let them work on it.

As a user of the 7.1 os, totally agree that it rocks....love it!!
    02-12-13 01:00 PM
    Frankly I haven't had any of the "constant crashing and freezing problems" that other people claim to have, but there's also a tendency to exaggerate things like this. Pulling the battery once per month doesn't constitute "constant crashing" in my mind.
    Yea I cant even recall the last time I had to restart my phone, never mind a crash. Makes me wonder how many suffer from UBD.
    02-12-13 01:11 PM
    Upgrading from a curve on os5 to my 9780 os6 over 2 years ago made me a hardcore fan. I thought then as I do now that the 9780 with os6 is superb as a communication tool as well as a life management device. Professionally I could not live without it.

A well known personal health consultant Tweeted and wrote in Forbes that she has dumped her trusted BBerry and gone with an iPhone....and how she has learned to HATE the iPhone. Bad battery life, and app overload not withstanding. I tweeted back that I went back to Black from iPhone and have never been happier. I can now get stuff done without looking for AC outlets to charge my phone mid-day.

I equate this to BB10 as well. Sure, I'll upgrade some day. But for now, I'd rather have my os6 Berry with BIS.

I have never dabbled with os7 and the Berries that accompany this version, but I have heard it rocks as well.

Call me a Dinosaur... a very PRODUCTIVE Dinosaur.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 01:56 PM
    Full bridge capability is making me rethink jumping to BB10. A BBOS phone bridged to the PlayBook is a very versatile and powerful combination.

An earlier poster worried that QNX would suffer the same fate as BBOS in that it would gradually not be able to compete as other OS appeared. Nothing could be further from the truth. QNX is infinitely scalable. The Java based legacy OS is pretty much maxed out.
    02-12-13 02:17 PM
47 12