But close.

Netflix's Hastings Worst Tech CEO of 2011: Poll - TheStreet

To save you a bit of reading:
    Worst tech CEO: Reed Hastings of Netflix.
    2nd worst: RIM Co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis.
    3rd: Zynga CEO Mark Pincus.
    4th: AOL CEO Tim Armstrong.
    5th: Groupon's Andrew Mason.

That's just shameful. Oh well guys, there's always next year.
    howarmat, decypher44 and JBenn911 like this.
    12-05-11 01:59 PM
    This was to be expected..How many terrible decisions can you make in a year?
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-05-11 02:17 PM
    So now CEO's have to play to the galleries like lowly politicians and garner votes from the unwashed masses. Good way to run businesses, by majority rules. We all know how majority selection works. Look at the majority decisions in electing stupid fools to power and the consequent financial meltdown.
    12-05-11 02:58 PM
    I don't get it...RIM is going through one of the biggest technical transitions in modern history. Some would say they're betting the farm but they're definitely at the point of no return...but they are maintaining profitability quarter after quarter.

Enterprise: managing and allowing non BB devices
    Consumer: providing consumer-focused devices, consumer targeted acquisitions

I think this is a positive direction if they can stay in business long enough and roll out their plans without the market providing additional strain. OS 7(6.1) devices really could have been released in April 2011 in their initial offerings as 800Megahertz processors (as we see in the OS7.0 curve but they had to waiver and bump the bold to 1.2). Device delays are because of consumers and analysts. Sometimes I wish they would stick more to their guns...
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-05-11 04:53 PM
    So now CEO's have to play to the galleries like lowly politicians and garner votes from the unwashed masses. Good way to run businesses, by majority rules. We all know how majority selection works. Look at the majority decisions in electing stupid fools to power and the consequent financial meltdown.
    They don't have to "garner votes"..but being a publicly traded company..they do have to answer to the shareholders. And when your company's stock has plummeted 73% in one year..why shouldn't they be held accountable?
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-05-11 05:44 PM
    what you don't get? RIM is losing market share every quarter too. And the company lost momentum. How come the device delays are because of consumers and analysts?
    12-05-11 05:44 PM
    OS 7(6.1) devices really could have been released in April 2011 in their initial offerings as 800Megahertz processors (as we see in the OS7.0 curve but they had to waiver and bump the bold to 1.2). Device delays are because of consumers and analysts. Sometimes I wish they would stick more to their guns...
    If they had "stuck to their guns", then things would have been even more disastrous. If they had come out with their new line of phones with 800Mhz processors, when everyone else was running dual core..they would have been made a mockery of. Instead of wasting time even contemplating putting those little processors in, they should have been "all hands on deck" from the get go with bigger processors.
    12-05-11 05:47 PM
    I pick Andrew Mason for turning down 5+ billion from Google to buy Groupon and in turn watching dozens of competitors, including Google, copy his model and compete directly.
    12-05-11 06:38 PM
    Should be number one. Clowns really think BBX is going to get them back in the game SMH. The playbook is running qnx and you don't see people flocking to by them.. what in the world makes you think someone is going to buy the phone version!? Idiots.
    Maybe because the phone version is something that sells way more than the tablet. They're already selling phones. They need to kick it up. And BBX is a way to do that.

Easy to develop for. And a refresh with touchscreen optimization.
    12-05-11 07:06 PM
    Mike & Jim rock...
    12-05-11 07:24 PM
    If they had "stuck to their guns", then things would have been even more disastrous. If they had come out with their new line of phones with 800Mhz processors, when everyone else was running dual core..they would have been made a mockery of. Instead of wasting time even contemplating putting those little processors in, they should have been "all hands on deck" from the get go with bigger processors.
    If they released their devices earlier, then they would not have lost the purchase momentum for summer 2011. Many people had to wait for the BBOS7 devices and by then it was too close and competing with the eventual iPhone 4s, SGSII, and now the upcoming BBX devices. It becomes a waiting for the next best thing, they should have optimized on an upgrade now cycle when existing BB's where already too old. The fact that BB enthusiasts are waiting for BBX devices because the majority of the market actually CAN wait 3-6 months for a new phone. A very enthusiastic vocal minority does all the shouting. Yes they do have sway, but their purchasing habits only influence the cash flow of the general public up to a certain amount.

All analysts talk shoved aside. Is any one buying a Bold 9900 over the 9790 because of the 200megahertz boost? They're buying the 9790 and the Curve Torches based on form factor and reduced pricing.
    12-05-11 09:34 PM
    They don't have to "garner votes"..but being a publicly traded company..they do have to answer to the shareholders. And when your company's stock has plummeted 73% in one year..why shouldn't they be held accountable?
    The shareholders have a mechanism to voice their displeasure, its called the Stock Market.

As for these polls, who were the members polled? Shareholders, analysts or was it just random people.
    Analysts don't counter for anything and the shareholders are voting in the Stock Market, and that vote might change with a change in RIM's sales/profit figures and the ability of a trader to make a profit in the short term.
    This poll, however is still irrelevant.
    12-06-11 08:35 AM
    [/I]7;6913124]
    As for these polls, who were the members polled? Shareholders, analysts or was it just random people.

This poll, however is still irrelevant.
    "according to a recent poll of TheStreet readers"

Yes..this wasn't an in depth study conducted by University researchers into the inner workings of every company in order to come up with a complex graph into which company CEO was the worst. It was a simple poll of people who read The Street.

Yes..the poll is irrelevant. Everyone here (and everywhere) is well aware how bad the Co-CEO's are doing, as well as how bad Netflix bungled things.
    12-06-11 09:04 AM
    "according to a recent poll of TheStreet readers"

Yes..this wasn't an in depth study conducted by University researchers into the inner workings of every company in order to come up with a complex graph into which company CEO was the worst. It was a simple poll of people who read The Street.

Yes..the poll is irrelevant. Everyone here (and everywhere) is well aware how bad the Co-CEO's are doing, as well as how bad Netflix bungled things.
    One good quarter would turn the poll upside down and your opinions too.
    So again I question the point of nonsense polls like these.
    12-06-11 09:16 AM
    One good quarter would turn the poll upside down and your opinions too.
    So again I question the point of nonsense polls like these.
    One good quarter won't change my opions at all. I've been around since before the Storm days..and have seen more broken promises and crushed dreams than I care to recount. When RIM can finally deliver something on time as promised and without issue..only then will my opinion change.
    12-06-11 09:43 AM
    Yup, in the grand scheme of things, the poll is irrelevant. But a lot is about perception, and the perception right now is one of incompetence.

Interesting thoughts coming out nonetheless from all sides, which is really what I was curious to see ... and mostly civil!
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-06-11 09:46 AM
    One good quarter won't change my opions at all. I've been around since before the Storm days..and have seen more broken promises and crushed dreams than I care to recount. When RIM can finally deliver something on time as promised and without issue..only then will my opinion change.
    I have been around before Storm days as well, and except for the Storm, all the devices were solid.
    I'm still not able to come to terms with the iPhone way of doing things, and Android, while nice, is just not for me.

I don't see where RIM has broken any promises. Even the Storm, they replaced that for me with a 9700 at no extra cost and that too simply because the Storm was a POS and I raised some he!! about it.
    12-06-11 09:58 AM
    I bet the only reason the netflix ceo ranked #1 was that recent astronomical price hike in terms of % that resulted in over a million subscriptions being dropped.. other than that, netflix probably wouldnt even be on that list.

Bal and Laz Have earned that (in)famous position due to not one but many back to back bad decisions over several years. Transition time? I ask you, how much time will you give them before that excuse is obviously poppycock? Missed deadline after deadline, broken promise after broken promise, now they sold a device under false pretenses and 6 months later are still handing out "IOU's".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 12-06-11 at 10:32 AM.
    12-06-11 10:29 AM
    Co-CEO in and of itself is extremely stupid.
    12-06-11 12:37 PM
    "National Bank Financial, which already recommends avoiding the stock. On Tuesday it cut its target to $10 from $16 on the pessimistic view that a deep-pocketed savior will not step forward and RIM will not itself arrest declining market share, gross margin and earnings." LINK

Enough Said...
    12-06-11 12:44 PM
    I pick Andrew Mason for turning down 5+ billion from Google to buy Groupon and in turn watching dozens of competitors, including Google, copy his model and compete directly.
    O.M.G.! Way off topic here, but your forum avatar just made my day.
    12-06-11 02:22 PM
    "National Bank Financial, which already recommends avoiding the stock. On Tuesday it cut its target to $10 from $16 on the pessimistic view that a deep-pocketed savior will not step forward and RIM will not itself arrest declining market share, gross margin and earnings." LINK

Enough Said...
    I imagine this last jog south of the stock is mostly due to the huge flop regarding the Playbook's development... the announcement that the OS 2.0 "finally give out what we promised 6 months ago" package isnt near ready and wouldnt be out for several more months was the final straw for investors. There is a point where you think maaaaaaybe rim is just misunderstood, then you realize that is just denial and the fact is those two nitwits running the show have remained employed past their usefulness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-11 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD