OK so you make sure they get the devices early and assign a few tech guys or a whole team to walk them thru the testing they need to do so it doesn't take them 45 days longer than everybody else. Excuses fall short here. They spend boatloads of money on a Super Bowl ad and launch in NYC for a product you can"t yet buy yet, but they let this happen. I don't get it.
    That's not how it works. RIM cannot dictate what testing is required before a carrier puts a device on their network. That is up to each individual carrier, and it's different for each one.
    01-30-13 02:25 PM
    I look at it this way, If there is any updates maybe (and I say maybe) the US carriers will have BB10's with the latest software.
    March isn't that far away, It's almost February now.
    That's not how it works. The US carriers will now have a month old version without updates and have to wait for the next version to be approved again.

I hope I can sideload OS like I use to be able to on my old BBs or install a custom one like Android. I haven't had to wait for an update in years (been using Android and iOS). This is going to be a ****show all over again.
    01-30-13 02:28 PM
    I couldn't agree more. I am so pissed off. My Bold 9650 is hanging on for dear life. It'll be April by the time we get them if we can't order them until, late March. I think I'm done with this nonsense...
    01-30-13 02:57 PM
    That's not how it works. RIM cannot dictate what testing is required before a carrier puts a device on their network. That is up to each individual carrier, and it's different for each one.
    I understand that, but is there no chance for RIMM to expedite or provide technical support to the carrier to expedite the process and help troubleshoot any issues?
    01-30-13 02:59 PM
    That is why they better have more ads that will be showing thru until they can be bought.
    I suspect they will. The billion dollar launch budget must include more then a single US Superbowl commercial.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-13 03:07 PM
    I couldn't have said it better. That's right! For once get on the line and wait like we all do when something is launched in the US. I just saw on a website that the first two latin american countries getting the phone are Venezuela and Colombia. let me tell by my experience that BB is BIG in Colombia! Huge users base. So it makes sense going with your stronger markets first! Stil, the wait will kill me! Go BlackBerry!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 03:09 PM
    My upgrade doesn't kick in until the latter part of March anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Then again, that's getting close to the S4's supposed release date. Decisions . . . .
    01-30-13 03:16 PM
    Let's stop and think for a second. They created the first momentum today at the release, next is the superbowl. In the meantime they have Alicia Keys, Robert Rodriguez and some others to keep that momentum going higher and higher. We will also have to sum the great reviews from users all around the world. Add up a few tv commercials and boom! This is the same recipie they used up until today with the "leaks" and updates. In no time everyone will be desperate to get their hands on one phone... I guess that's pretty much what will be happening.
    At least what I hope for...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 03:19 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Phones Releasing 30 Days After Launch Event, says RIM COO Kristian Tear - N4BB

Oops, she didn't mean it!

Tim
    01-30-13 03:24 PM
    This makes the Superbowl ad a pretty big waste of money. Had these been available next week in the US, Superbowl Sunday (Feb 3rd) would have been the perfect time to begin an advertising blitz. Instead, we get a worse version of the 2011 Motorola Xoom Superbowl ad, where they pitched a product that didn't launch until 3 weeks later. This is worse because it's 6 weeks, and the release date is within striking distance of the Galaxy S4 announcement in April.
    01-30-13 03:42 PM
    This makes the Superbowl ad a pretty big waste of money. Had these been available next week in the US, Superbowl Sunday (Feb 3rd) would have been the perfect time to begin an advertising blitz. Instead, we get a worse version of the 2011 Motorola Xoom Superbowl ad, where they pitched a product that didn't launch until 3 weeks later. This is worse because it's 6 weeks, and the release date is within striking distance of the Galaxy S4 announcement in April.
    I'll agree with you if there isn't another commercial or peep out of BlackBerry until the phones are available here.
    01-30-13 03:54 PM
    Thorstein specifically stated during the presentation that the US carriers were requiring more testing.
    The US carriers are full of it and probably said that just to be cordial.

I'm NOT very happy right now . I say All 3 million CrackBerry members start calling their carriers on a everyday basis until released
    Hammer the Facebook pages as well.

If this was the latest device from any other major smartphone brand, they would be falling over themselves to get them in the stores ASAP, not March.
    01-30-13 03:58 PM
    If the phones were available today on launch day would have been ideal . As we get deeper into into 2013 there is going to be a s4 , experia z , moto x phone , whatever nokia announces at mwc , iphone 5s, and nexus 5. Better to get out ahead of the tidal wave

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 04:06 PM
    hey guys in this thread. How do you say z10?????
    680 NEWS (Toronto) said ZEE10!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-30-13 04:09 PM
    Say an American is watching the Superbowl and sees the BB10 commercial. Up to that point, they had no idea about the new platform or phones. They see the commercial and say, "OMG, I want to learn more info and need it now". So they go to Blackberry's website and Google and find out information and see that UK already has a Z10 and Canada gets them two days after the Superbowl. Finally the person contacts their carrier and hears, "Sometime in March" or worse yet (and I really hope the US carrier store employees aren't saying this now) "I have no idea" or, "What is BB10?". At that point the person may be frustrated and not want to wait and compares it to Apple's launches and forgets about BB10 and there goes a potential sale. Not shaping up to be a good move, IMO.

I can't remember, but did they set the January 30th launch date before or after they shipped phones to carriers for testing? I am just wondering if the US carriers said they could sell by early February, but then went back on that or RIM/BB set the January 30th launch date hoping US carriers would be ready by then.
    01-30-13 04:09 PM
    Maybe the reason for the delay is that the carriers are waiting for the ZEE10 and RIM has only offered the Zed10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    westcoastit and OMGitworks like this.
    01-30-13 04:14 PM
    It does suck that it won't be here until then. It really makes no difference to me because my contract isn't up until fall and I won't pay full price. I'm sure there are thousands or millions like myself that aren't going to pay full price and will wait for that time.
    On the other hand, mine has been up since this past October, Im sure there are others who were waiting too.
    donmateo likes this.
    01-30-13 04:14 PM
    I'm particularly dissapointed that Heins never mentioned the '3 wave' launch which was supposed to be their initial strategy. They should've provided a roadmap with estimated timelines for most of the markets... they didn't mention Latin America nor Asia and I thought this was supposed to be a 'global' launch.
    01-30-13 04:23 PM
    Australia wont be gettingit till around march either, I find this pretty annoying. my 9860 is really pissing me off and I want to change asap. I waited for many months for the Z10 and am eligible for an upgrade, either the S3 or an iphone5. Im not sure i want to hold out any longer
    01-30-13 04:24 PM
    bmantz65 I agree 100% with your above post. "Strike while the iron is hot" is a saying for a reason. I actually thought the exact same thing. Someone sitting watching the Super Bowl goes into their carrier the next day and walks out with....<wait for it>....a brand new iPhone 5. Because salespeople sell devices.

The announcement/launch should have occurred today like it did and RIM should have made it so tomorrow (or certainly within a small timeframe) people can get devices globally. Waiting nearly 2 months to attack one of the largest markets is disastrous.
    01-30-13 04:39 PM
    I don't know for sure but here in the USA, marketing works. I'm not sold that it would do better if it was sold today without proper advertising. They had the keynote now I expect to see a solid media blitz driving demand. IMO, that is better than just placing it on the shelves and hoping people snatched one up.
    01-30-13 05:27 PM
    I agree with the sentiment around "Strike while the iron is hot". The way this is being handled seems contrary to everything I learned in marketing training years ago. You don't get potential buyers all juiced up about your product then effectively yank it off the table and tell them they'll have to wait a few more months before they can actually have one; and then walk away thinking these would be buyers will happily wait until you have you're distribution problems sorted out. Many of us will wait but we're the dyed in the wool BB fan types, but I can't see many waiting who are simply in the market for a new handset and want to try a BlackBerry.
    01-30-13 05:34 PM
    Well Samsung is laughing. They will have already had unveiled the s4 by the time the Z10 launches in the states and an average consumer will no doubt pick the s4, not because its better, but because it is a proven line of phones with huge brand awareness compared to a brand new OS on a new phone. A bigger hole has been dug to climb out of now. Might as well not advertise during the super bowl. Pointless now.
    01-30-13 05:56 PM
    Yup, might as well climb to the roof and jump off. -facepalm-
    01-30-13 06:09 PM
    Ok, ok..i got it. The superbowl commercial is going to star distraught US BB users freaking out about the March release. I mean like "7 stages of grief" bad. The commercial ends with release dates for US carriers. Feb. 5th with Alicia Keys' "New Day" being the song we all rejoice to!

I'm reaching here. I must be on that last, "acceptance and hope" phase.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    01-30-13 08:12 PM
102 ... 2345