04-17-09 12:38 AM
    When everyone migrates to LTE, it won't matter who makes what. Maybe we will start seeing some of the cool tech they get in Japan since phone makers won't need to produce phones for two completely different networks. Sprint is near it's death, Wi-max is the next hd-dvd, not that many phone makers are going to concentrate on making phones for Sprint when the two major players are both going with LTE. Sprint will either get assimilated or die....
    04-17-09 01:06 PM
    I thought i heard Sprint was going LTE.

I know theres reports of Sprint testing LTE Equipment
    04-17-09 02:23 PM
    I thought i heard Sprint was going LTE.

I know theres reports of Sprint testing LTE Equipment
    I heard that also, and if they are smart they will, but originally they were touting WifiMax
    04-17-09 03:41 PM
    they actually launched a test launch in Baltimore and it didn't go so well but its an attempt
    04-18-09 02:08 PM
    Resistance is Futile
    When everyone migrates to LTE, it won't matter who makes what. Maybe we will start seeing some of the cool tech they get in Japan since phone makers won't need to produce phones for two completely different networks. Sprint is near it's death, Wi-max is the next hd-dvd, not that many phone makers are going to concentrate on making phones for Sprint when the two major players are both going with LTE. Sprint will either get assimilated or die....
    My guess is that they' get with the program. Why swim upstream? Resistance is Futile...join the LTE borg.
    04-23-09 07:46 AM
    Sprints doing wiimax as their 4g. Only time will tell if it's a huge mistake or not, but I believe in terms of cell phone carriers they're all alone, at least in the USA.
    04-23-09 01:59 PM
    Thanks for the heads up, is there gonna be a 4g iphone?
    04-23-09 03:38 PM
    they actually launched a test launch in Baltimore and it didn't go so well but its an attempt
    It is up and running in portland for a while now, and works really well.

I do not think you can really compare wimax and lte. It would similar to comparing 3g to your wireless router.

Lte is a very limited, closed source, and expensive.

Wimax, will allow complete access. You can use it for you computer, home, and moble. It can reach up to 70 miles, which means that is can be used as a last mile access.

It does not bogs down as much with increase with user.

It is open source, based on wifi standard, which means that you will have a ton more devices for the standard. Think about it, how many items that have wifi but not 3g.

The reason wifi has taken off and 3g is limited only to cell phones and telecomms, is because wifi and wimax cost about 50% less to produce.

It can be produce by any company, there for it will be cheaper to buy.

You can buy a base station for about 2,000 bucks. An lte base station is not avaible to anyone up the companies that support them.

This means that a community can set up a free wimax, you can not do that with lte.

the differences are massive and they can not really be compared.

The bottom line is that you can take a wimax device from your house, on the train, and the buy a base station, and create a station anywhere you want, as long as you have land line.
    04-23-09 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD