09-27-09 10:42 PM
42 12
tools
    Skyfire posted a link on my Facebook Wall to download v1.1 now! Click on the link and it goes to the Same skyfire page that says Skyfire is not available for the 8330m. Not cool, not cool at all!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 01:11 AM
    What's the link?
    08-25-09 10:44 PM
    Doesn't seem to be available for Blackberry yet. Just Winmo or Nokia /Symbian
    08-25-09 10:57 PM
    It was a link to the skyfire.com download page, inside of Facebook.

Not cool Skyfire

08-26-09 12:09 AM
    Yeah it was just the WM/S 1.1 release notice.

(which I am running now, *points and laughs*)
    Last edited by papped; 08-27-09 at 02:14 PM.
    08-27-09 01:39 PM
    Skyfire for BB is in a closed alpha test right now and just on the Bold. The last time a version of it leaked they shut down the servers for a few weeks. It's unlikely we'll see another leak, but hopefully they will expand the Alpha, OR go to an open Beta soon.
    08-27-09 01:55 PM
    Skyfire for BB is in a closed alpha test right now and just on the Bold. The last time a version of it leaked they shut down the servers for a few weeks. It's unlikely we'll see another leak, but hopefully they will expand the Alpha, OR go to an open Beta soon.
    i thought it they were supposed to release a public beta now.
    08-27-09 02:02 PM
    You can't release what isn't ready for release. Not to single anyone out, but my god blackberry owners have no patience. ( yeah, I'm including me in this too... lol)
    08-28-09 06:08 AM
    You can't release what isn't ready for release. Not to single anyone out, but my god blackberry owners have no patience. ( yeah, I'm including me in this too... lol)
    Very true! Me too
    08-28-09 08:26 AM
    You guys don't want Skyfire the way it is right now anyway.
    08-28-09 08:28 AM
    They'll release it when its ready, I wouldn't want somethin that's not finished and is full of bugs and problems anyway so I rather wait lol...
    08-28-09 08:33 AM
    I am waiting for beta 2 too. I signed up in March (just before beta 1 closed I think). It is supposed to be launched sometime this summer, so it should be soon... I hope! Sorry I don't have anymore info for you!

08-29-09 05:50 AM
    I don't think you'll see Skyfire for older devices. It lagged on WinMo with a 528MHz processor for christ's sake!

I think the Bold, Storm, Storm 2, Tour, and Curve 8900 and all later BB's will get it. Besides, I couldn't see Skyfire working too well on a 240x320 screen.

Last time I inquired about the public beta, they said its nowhere near that stage. I'd expect maybe late 4Q for the Bold.
    08-29-09 06:25 PM
    I can't wait for this broswer

08-29-09 11:18 PM
    MY gut reaction is that this isn't going to be as good as we hope. Long alpha stage plus alpha testers stating it isn't so great lead me to belive they are having trouble with it.
    08-30-09 01:12 AM
    I am also new here and i am still in the process of learning things in this site. I just accidentally saw the site and i registered
    08-31-09 01:04 AM
    SkyFire may be "the best browser ever invented", but with all the hype surrounding it, I'm betting on somewhat of a letdown. My experience tells me that the ones screaming the loudest for a new app are often the first ones to blast it when it doesn't live up to "expectations".

Just sayin'...
    08-31-09 01:37 PM
    It's not "the best browser ever invented".

It's basically the same thing as Opera Mini in that it's good for some use-cases.

Day to day browsing it kinda sucks because every time you click a field or a button it has to send the information to the server that you clicked something...

ie. Viewing mobile.crackberry.com will be slower and more annoying on Skyfire than the BB browser.
    Viewing crackberry.com full site will be much faster on Skyfire, but entering text fields is still annoying.
    08-31-09 01:52 PM
    I love Opera Mini and use it for 90% my browsing. I very rarely use the default browser.

I got to use the SkyFire alpha for about 10 minutes when it was leaked (before the servers got shut down) and I wasn't impressed. I know it's not even in beta form yet, but it should be further along than what I saw.
    08-31-09 02:00 PM
    I love Opera Mini and use it for 90% my browsing. I very rarely use the default browser.

I got to use the SkyFire alpha for about 10 minutes when it was leaked (before the servers got shut down) and I wasn't impressed. I know it's not even in beta form yet, but it should be further along than what I saw.
    100% agree on Opera Mini. I do almost all my browsing on there, too.
    08-31-09 02:05 PM
    From using the 1.1 official release on WM, just saying, don't get your hopes ridiculously high =P.

Cons list:
    -Supports flash, which is great, except that it can't auto zoom to fullscreen view because everything is being run on a server, not actually your phone.
    -Manual zoom is pretty slow...
    -Slow responses to clicking/text fields because it has to contact the server every time.
    -Poor resolution when zoomed out on a webpage.
    -Rendering is slower than Opera Mini, still pretty fast though.
    -The UI buttons (Menu, etc) are very small. Annoying on a touchscreen device.
    -The UI isn't that well designed for touchscreen and everything is nested too deep. Everything is nested in the Menu (ie. for Bookmarks you have to do something like Menu > Actions > Bookmarks)
    -Browser configuration is extremely limited.
    Last edited by papped; 08-31-09 at 02:11 PM.
    08-31-09 02:05 PM
    It's not "the best browser ever invented".

It's basically the same thing as Opera Mini in that it's good for some use-cases.

Day to day browsing it kinda sucks because every time you click a field or a button it has to send the information to the server that you clicked something...

ie. Viewing mobile.crackberry.com will be slower and more annoying on Skyfire than the BB browser.
    Viewing crackberry.com full site will be much faster on Skyfire, but entering text fields is still annoying.
    You know what I mean, though. With all the hype I've been hearing about SkyFire for the last year, I think there's no way it could possibly measure up. That said, I'm positive I'll try it when a stable beta is released.
    08-31-09 02:07 PM
    they said a late summer release... kinda sounds like at&t MMS.
    08-31-09 07:13 PM
    i KNOW IT SUCKS SO BADDD
    08-31-09 09:42 PM
    I don't think it's really a matter of patience, more of a case where things ALWAYS end up coming to the BlackBerry at a point where they're a day late and a dollar short.

By the time WE see SkyFire, webkit will be old news, and everyone else will have gone onto the next best thing. I think it's more of a case of where us BB owners actually WANT the cool stuff while it's still cool.......

The unique OS of the BB world may be great for RIM and for security; but in the end, 3rd party app support suffers. I think it's because you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to make the BB do anything meaningful, but i'm not a programmer, I could be wrong. I will say, though.... In my limited toying with C#, I was able to make a "Hello World" application on my Windows desktop in WAY FEWER steps than it takes on a BB to create the same app.
    08-31-09 09:55 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD