It just seems really quick compared to my old phones (never had a BB before), is this normal?

Also, can someone help me on when the best time to put it on charge is? Are you supposed to drain it out all the way or just put it on when there is like 20% left?

Also, once it is fully charged according to the battery meter, is it okay to unplug it or should I let it stay on the charger for a little while?

Thanks
    John
    01-01-11 10:12 AM
    You can charge pretty much whenever you need to. However, don't get in the habit of draining your battery down low. Draining them empty leads to shorter battery life. Once charged, you can remove the charger whenever you like.

Charging time sounds about right. Takes my Style roughly an hour to charge. The new block-style chargers put out more ma than the old BlackBerry chargers, 750 ma vs 700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 10:25 AM
    You can charge pretty much whenever you need to. However, don't get in the habit of draining your battery down low. Draining them empty leads to shorter battery life. Once charged, you can remove the charger whenever you like.

Charging time sounds about right. Takes my Style roughly an hour to charge. The new block-style chargers put out more ma than the old BlackBerry chargers, 750 ma vs 700.

Yep, I have the new little block/cube charger. Well that makes me feel better, it seemed almost too quick.

Okay, so what would you consider "too low?" Maybe when the bar is red? Or yellow? Or just when the phone dies?

John
    01-01-11 10:49 AM
    Best suggestion its too charge while you are sill in "yellow".
    01-01-11 11:10 AM
    The block gets hot too.

01-01-11 11:58 AM
    Yep, I have the new little block/cube charger. Well that makes me feel better, it seemed almost too quick.

Okay, so what would you consider "too low?" Maybe when the bar is red? Or yellow? Or just when the phone dies?

John
    I usually pop it on around 20 at the low end. Try to avoid below 10, but fair warning, your BlackBerry likes the power, the more it has, the better it tends to run.

01-01-11 12:07 PM
    It just seems really quick compared to my old phones (never had a BB before), is this normal?

Also, can someone help me on when the best time to put it on charge is? Are you supposed to drain it out all the way or just put it on when there is like 20% left?

Also, once it is fully charged according to the battery meter, is it okay to unplug it or should I let it stay on the charger for a little while?

Thanks
    John
    Like everyone else is saying - don't let it get low if you can avoid it. Best practice is to charge while you sleep, so it has time to charge and cool down before you unplug it.

01-01-11 01:38 PM
    Like everyone else is saying - don't let it get low if you can avoid it. Best practice is to charge while you sleep, so it has time to charge and cool down before you unplug it.

I remember hearing that letting it charge over night was bad and also it was best to let it drain, hahah, I guess things have changed.

Okay, so to get this straight the best charging routine would be to put it on when the battery shows one yellow bar before I go to sleep and let it go over night? I just wanna exercise the most optimal charging routine possible.

01-01-11 01:52 PM
    I remember hearing that letting it charge over night was bad and also it was best to let it drain, hahah, I guess things have changed.

Okay, so to get this straight the best charging routine would be to put it on when the battery shows one yellow bar before I go to sleep and let it go over night? I just wanna exercise the most optimal charging routine possible.

Charging overnight is bad? Naw. The worst thing you can do is drain it and pull it off right at 100% - that will not only severely shorten battery life, you'll probably wind up needing to charge in the middle of the day.

Pesonally I use two batteries, I use one while the other charges in a pod. I just swap them before I go to bed. I usually have about 30 - 20% left after 24 hours, and the battery in the pod stays there plugged in until I swap them.
    01-01-11 02:01 PM
    Charging overnight is bad? Naw. The worst thing you can do is drain it and pull it off right at 100% - that will not only severely shorten battery life, you'll probably wind up needing to charge in the middle of the day.

Pesonally I use two batteries, I use one while the other charges in a pod. I just swap them before I go to bed. I usually have about 30 - 20% left after 24 hours, and the battery in the pod stays there plugged in until I swap them.
    Alright well that's good to know. From now on I will try to charge it over night.

For the times when I am charging it in the middle of the day how long should I let it rest on the charger once its fully charged?

01-01-11 02:11 PM
    Alright well that's good to know. From now on I will try to charge it over night.

For the times when I am charging it in the middle of the day how long should I let it rest on the charger once its fully charged?

I'd wait at least an hour, from experience.
    01-01-11 02:20 PM
    No, you can leave it on the charger just fine. The battery is smart, too, and knows when to stop charging. Work it hard, get it heated up it stops charging until it cools down.

01-01-11 02:22 PM
    No, you can leave it on the charger just fine. The battery is smart, too, and knows when to stop charging. Work it hard, get it heated up it stops charging until it cools down.

Okay

So if I put it on charge at like 75% and charge it all the way no harm will be done?

Lastly something that WOULD be bad for is to unplug it when its nit done charging, right?

Sorry to ask all these questions, I'm new to BB and just want to take xare of it the best I can.

01-01-11 02:31 PM
    Charger is better than USB via PC with my experience! I find it that battery works a longer time with charger .while it is said that bb shoud be connected to DM times a week. Charge whenever and wherever you like ,ahah.But,pls notice that charge a long time is not good to the battery .As you konw ,the mainboard has a smart circuit to control the charge.And what I think you shoud kill the process which is running in background.I find processes of some apps still run although I don't launch them.

01-01-11 09:53 PM
    Okay

So if I put it on charge at like 75% and charge it all the way no harm will be done?

Lastly something that WOULD be bad for is to unplug it when its nit done charging, right?

Sorry to ask all these questions, I'm new to BB and just want to take xare of it the best I can.

That's cool, as far as removing it mid-charge, don't sweat it. The Li-ion batteries have no 'memory effect' like Ni-Cd batteries do. But if the situation arises you have to do a partial charge, better up some than down some.

Charge whenever you can. If you need to top off from 75%, go for it. I'd rather have that extra juice on hand for getting around. You're not gonna hurt it.

01-01-11 10:16 PM
    Also, the Curve 9330 has a smaller battery. I think it has something like a 1150 mAh battery. Bolds have 1500 mAh batteries. I know my Android phone with a 1500 mAh battery charges in about 2 hours or so, so 1 hour for that Blackberry model seems about right.

And I agree with the above. Draining the battery low is bad for the battery. That's why I usually don't care if a phone can get 2 days on a charge. To keep your battery healthier it's usually smarter to charge it whenever you can, anyways (in the care, at the desk, overnight, etc.).
    01-01-11 11:14 PM
    Well this can happen due to a problem in O/S too. Well when i am using .975(in my tour) this happened to me as well but all the issues regarding the battery was solved when i upgraded to .1030. In .975 battery charging speed is very high but the battery doesnt stay for long but in .1030 it takes a longer time to charge the battery but battery life is incredible i must say. Correct me if i am wrong but my advice is try putting new o/s until you find the best for you.Try doing a battery pull when battery gets drained all of a sudden i am sure it will show more battery when the phone get restarted. If those are the circumstances the problem is in the o/s.
    Last edited by helawick; 01-02-11 at 02:37 AM.
    01-02-11 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD