As we understand it, RIM's so-called Javelin is a new BlackBerry completely devoid of 3G that's currently on track for a mid-2009 (yes, 2009) launch.
    Noooooo! This better be wrong, if this is true I guess I'll have to either just grab the 8320 or pay retail for an unlocked Bold.

Source:Javelin Set for mid-2009.
    06-16-08 05:39 PM
    Eh. Good ol' RIM for ya......... Thanks again, guys!
    06-16-08 05:41 PM
    thats pretty stoopid...
    06-16-08 05:44 PM
    There is another thread for this, it appears to be a curve replacement. Sucks that there is no 3G.
    06-16-08 05:48 PM
    There is another thread for this, it appears to be a curve replacement. Sucks that there is no 3G.
    Yea, that's the first thing I thought when I saw it is that it looked just like a Curve.
    06-16-08 05:54 PM
    thats pretty stoopid...
    Depends if it's real lo-cost. It looks like RIM is now making phones for everybody and, it also looks to me as if they are not quite sure what everybody wants so there is more than a bit of scattergunning going on.

Some of these new products may be big hits whilst some of them may not last more than a year or so.

From me, full marks for trying.
    06-16-08 05:56 PM
    From the feature list, it sounds like it is an upgrade from the curve, bigger screen, wifi and gps, 3.2 mega-pixel camera, I just think that it misses the trend in the marketplace of faster browsing. But hey, by the time this comes out, no one will be left on EDGE, so download speeds might be pretty good!)
    06-16-08 06:09 PM
    But hey, by the time this comes out, no one will be left on EDGE, so download speeds might be pretty good!)
    hahahahahahaha.
    06-16-08 11:30 PM
    I thought from what I read the Javelin was the exact same thing as the Bold, just minus the 3G...
    06-17-08 12:01 AM
    no 3G?!?! that makes me sad

well actually that makes sense if what niubeav said is correct...cuz the Javelin would be the Bold if it had 3G. haha silly me i dont know why im still up lol its way too late
    Last edited by rollman06; 06-17-08 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    06-17-08 12:07 AM
    The Bold better NOT be only going to ATT, I would be so pissed...
    06-17-08 12:48 AM
    It is, at least initially. So go ahead and start being so pissed now that way when it comes out you'll only be slightly pissed.
    06-17-08 04:35 AM
    It is, at least initially. So go ahead and start being so pissed now that way when it comes out you'll only be slightly pissed.
    Nice way to put it. I started selling off some of my arsenal to get some extra cash for the release. Now that just plain sucks.
    06-17-08 04:44 AM
    It is disappointing, yet makes perfect sense...

why release the Bold on TMobile when the 3G would not be supported anyways. Their 3G network is not ready yet, and who knows when it will be... come on TMobile!!

On top of that, if the 3G networks was complete... or at least functional besides NYC, then the ATT Bold unlocked would be useless because it does not support the TMobile 3G frequency!
    06-17-08 07:26 AM
    The availability of 3G on a phone is a plus no doubt; can't argue against it. It's kind of like driving a car that has a top speed of 500 MPH; it's a plus...sure...but when and how often can/will it be used??

3G is super fast in areas where a 3G network is available (in most of the U.S.; it's NOT available). So unless you live in the very few, select areas within the U.S. that have 3G...the rest of us are S.O.L.

In the mean time until 3G is vastly available; EV-DO will do.
    06-17-08 10:12 AM
    The availability of 3G on a phone is a plus no doubt; can't argue against it. It's kind of like driving a car that has a top speed of 500 MPH; it's a plus...sure...but when and how often can/will it be used??
    ok what a terrible comparison, wow... its more like a go-kart (2.5G/EDGE) vs an average car (3G). its not a plus, its becoming the standard and very quickly i might add. its already a standard for most of the globe, just not in the US unfortunately.
    06-17-08 10:43 AM
    EV-DO is the CDMA 3G Standard. It is slower than GSM 3G networks, but still classified as 3G and has a wider coverage area. AT&T's 3G network covers approximately 160 cities across the US. To top that off, over half of the devices in At&t's online store offer 3G, not just smartphones, but all devices.

I would also point out that 3G is widely available in europe and Japan. My point is that Rim is wanting to increase their media capabilities in their phones and to make html email, youtube, even things like facebook and flickr run faster, then they need more 3G devices.

It is a challenge to do, don't get me wrong. There are numerous issues with 3G(batterylife and coverage) so I am sure RIM would love to put 3G into this phone.
    06-17-08 11:07 AM
    ok what a terrible comparison, wow... its more like a go-kart (2.5G/EDGE) vs an average car (3G). its not a plus, its becoming the standard and very quickly i might add. its already a standard for most of the globe, just not in the US unfortunately.
    no chief; you're mistaken. my MAIN point; once again i repeat...my MAIN point is that while 3G is great no doubt...it's pretty much a moot feature in a phone unless the providers in the U.S. build-up an adequate 3G network for these 3G capable devices to operate on 3G-like speeds.

It's a tease, it's like saying..." WOW; amazing, my phone has 3G; but darn...I can't connect to the Internet using 3G speeds that my phone is capable of using...because my service provider still operates on crappy 2.5G/Edge"
    06-17-08 02:40 PM
    Yea, I know it is initially but I meant like, iPhone type deal. Where it STAYS exclusive. I like the color scheme of the Bold and the way the the "frets" look on the keyboard.

I had a dream last night that all of my friends had the Bold and they kept telling me that the keys were "slippery"... What the **** does that dream mean? Anybody??
    06-17-08 03:59 PM
    That you have issues.......j/k. Seriously though, if the Javelin were coming out now, or soon, for say $99 or even $149 and could use a cheaper data plan, it will sell. A year from now.....makes no sense really. Other thought is that it could be a good offering since if it could be had on a cheaper data plan many companies would like that to keep costs down. You give an employee a 3G phone and it will encourage more surfing, time wasting on the company nickle (that never happens....). Just some thoughts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-08 04:12 PM
    no chief; you're mistaken. my MAIN point; once again i repeat...my MAIN point is that while 3G is great no doubt...it's pretty much a moot feature in a phone unless the providers in the U.S. build-up an adequate 3G network for these 3G capable devices to operate on 3G-like speeds.

It's a tease, it's like saying..." WOW; amazing, my phone has 3G; but darn...I can't connect to the Internet using 3G speeds that my phone is capable of using...because my service provider still operates on crappy 2.5G/Edge"
    i believe that AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint all have 3G in place in most of their major markets, w/ the remainder of 2008 filling in what gaps remain (again for major markets)..... T-Mobile is not even worth discussing because they don't understand the concept yet.

its not a moot feature, because its available in the majority of heavily populated areas of the coverage footprint.

the issue w/ 3G is not areas covered, not at all. if you live in bum-nowhere, that is your problem and you shouldn't expect 3G service. the problem is that we don't have the 850 band of 3G here...which means low penetration into buildings/homes....which means less consistent 3G service where its supposed to be available.
    06-17-08 04:20 PM
    i believe that AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint all have 3G in place in most of their major markets, w/ the remainder of 2008 filling in what gaps remain (again for major markets)..... T-Mobile is not even worth discussing because they don't understand the concept yet.

its not a moot feature, because its available in the majority of heavily populated areas of the coverage footprint.

the issue w/ 3G is not areas covered, not at all. if you live in bum-nowhere, that is your problem and you shouldn't expect 3G service. the problem is that we don't have the 850 band of 3G here...which means low penetration into buildings/homes....which means less consistent 3G service where its supposed to be available.
    Oh well, I'll take my Javelin with Wi-Fi and be happy, I don't mind waiting a couple seconds for pages to load, I don't really plan on being on the net much anyway.
    06-17-08 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD