WTF?
    N9 ran Meego-Harmattan. Maemo based and Meego API complaint and no relationship whatsoever to Symbian, other than the fact both were a part of Nokia's Qt strategy for Devices at multiple ASP's.
    that people could confuse the N9 with symbian is not only a testament to ignorance, but also to the success of Elop in refusing to advertise the N9 after it was released.
    Of note is the fact that the N9 (one device sold in only a few countries with no advertising) outsold nokia's first range of WP 7 devices combined....
    Are you suggesting Maemo and Meego would have saved Nokia? These are the platform(s) that Nokia spent years, yes years, developing with Intel with little to no progress? BB10 has far more innovation that Maemo imho.
    The reason sales for Nokia WP7.5 devices were not great is that the first Nokia WP device was basically the N9 made to work for WP...

It's not really of any note...Maemo/Meego are basically symbolic of what caused Nokia to end up in the heaping mess that they are(were) in today...Nokia continued to release fantastic hardware only to be let down by horrible software and slow releases.
    09-03-13 11:37 PM
    Communities Dominate Brands
    Troll Tomi's blog, data is in there.
    Meego was late for sure. Archaic chipset? By who's definition (this being posted on a BB forum where the premiere touchscreen device is also running "archaic" chipset by android standards). yours? or the broader media and consumer base sucked into a the spec p*ssing competition, that fails to see good UX involves, OS, UI and hardware matched for optimal performance as opposed to "latest" hw
    OSSO was run on a shoestring for essentially all of it's existence and strangled as much by symbian Old guard refusing to move with the times as their own time and resource constraints.
    Also never forget that Elop clearly stated Nokia (under his "leadership") would not pursue Meego, even if it was a success.

Oh, and there were multiple devices. The N950 was to be the HW keyboard variant of the all touch device and a bit of sniffing around will reveal to you at least 2 other prototypes that were to be the next generation, with new SoC and h/w.
    Nokia spent years trying to develop Meego and they did nothing with it...
    I'm not sure what your point would possibly be...do you honestly think Meego or Maemo would have saved Nokia? Please...they were dead the minute Apple released the iphone as they were sitting on their laurels...at that time their best bet would have been to quickly switch to Android as only at that early time, would they be able to compete against Samsung...
    Nokia waited far too long and when they decided to go with WP, it was the only logical choice...

I have no idea if WP8 and MS absorbing Nokia will save Microsoft's mobile gameplan but I can tell you that Microsoft will probably be willing to lose tens of billions of dollars trying unless the company is split up....do not count MS out...they are one of the only major tech companies left from the 80's and they keep surviving although every few years every pundit says they suck and they are behind the times...
    09-03-13 11:42 PM
    more ignorance. the vast majority of nokia PHONE sales are dumb/feature phones. S30-S40 based handsets and increasingly Asha line are the predominant handsets sold in developing nations. smartphones are useless without connectivity and the like of the Asha (smarterphone) based products use a specific type of data compression and transmission to overcome this.
    The rubbish about ALL nokia users becoming WP users was the same lies that Elop spread when he announced the WP strategy (just before Nokia sales and shares tanked). The 520 has managed to push into a lower ASP and corner market share because Nokia were selling it at a loss. As the WP Os iterates, it will no longer be able to function on the very low end hardware that makes the dumb/featurephone market such a profitable venture for Nokia. the very reason that Nokia persisted with S30-40 and Asha (the smarterphone business that they bought and developed) products is that WP would never be able to penetrate lower price points that are the cornerstone of developing nations.
    furthermore from a smartphone perspective, do you honestly think a subsistence farmer on the Asian continent gives a flying F*#k about FB or twitter? that's first world crap.
    MS have just purchased a loss making business unit.
    Glad we have people like you to "tell us how it is".../s
    lol
    09-03-13 11:43 PM
    more ignorance. the vast majority of nokia PHONE sales are dumb/feature phones. S30-S40 based handsets and increasingly Asha line are the predominant handsets sold in developing nations. smartphones are useless without connectivity and the like of the Asha (smarterphone) based products use a specific type of data compression and transmission to overcome this.
    The rubbish about ALL nokia users becoming WP users was the same lies that Elop spread when he announced the WP strategy (just before Nokia sales and shares tanked). The 520 has managed to push into a lower ASP and corner market share because Nokia were selling it at a loss. As the WP Os iterates, it will no longer be able to function on the very low end hardware that makes the dumb/featurephone market such a profitable venture for Nokia. the very reason that Nokia persisted with S30-40 and Asha (the smarterphone business that they bought and developed) products is that WP would never be able to penetrate lower price points that are the cornerstone of developing nations.
    furthermore from a smartphone perspective, do you honestly think a subsistence farmer on the Asian continent gives a flying F*#k about FB or twitter? that's first world crap.
    MS have just purchased a loss making business unit.
    WP can run on very low specs. MS can optimize WP8 to run very low specs. They did with wp7.5. They can do this while also expanding to high end specs. Its a all smooth experience on every device while with a low cost. This is without a doubt a smart decision.

edit: apparently they are planning to put a lite version of WP on Asha devices. which sells at 50 million per quarter. if they do this this would put WP selling more than 50 million WPs next year. and gain massive market share
    Last edited by 12Danny123; 09-04-13 at 12:06 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-03-13 11:45 PM
    The same people who produced the Nokia hardware will be producing the hardware at Microsoft. The same people. Was Nokia terrible at hardware? No, therefore I don't get your point or what you're trying to say since it doesn't make sense in the proper context.

While Microsoft has been terrible at hardware (allegedly) they leave Blackberry in the dust IRT services and ecosystem, which is why it's winning over BB right now.

All Media ecosystems use DRM. Even the Books from Google Play Books use DRM (Adobe Digital Editions DRM), for example. Who cares about Play for Sure. Who cares about this? Even Netflix and Hulu use DRM. Really, I'm not sure what the point is there. If you aren't using DRM, then you aren't really going to be able to strike good deals with media companies for things like Streaming services and eBooks. That's a pretty widely accepted fact at this point.

Surface is basically the Windows equivalent to Nexus. It is not what you say it is, and some OEMs like Acer were pretty pissed that Microsoft produced their own Surface hardware, as it competed directly with their own devices... Surface RT was somewhat of a flop, but the Surface Pro, not so much... Then again, the RT is still more useful than a Playbook and is a pretty good deal at this point given what's coming in Windows 8.1...

It will still be supported. I don't think Microsoft will use a weak ARM SoC like the Tegra 3 was (compared to Qualcomm SoCs) in the next Surface RT. They will likely go QC instead. The newer SoCs will be much faster and give better battery life as well, and since the software will be more developed by then, performance should be better. May also be able to put more RAM in it at similar cost to the original Surface RT as well.
    Wow, your reply is so full of anger!

You're right, Nokia made fine phones. And the same people are still there at Nokia and many will stay there no doubt. But the end game for Microsoft is to win in the smart phone market; and if Microsoft spits at the rest of the business, i.e. dumbphones, for trying to force Lumias down every carrier's throat it's going to be a disaster.

About services, remeber these are mobile services. Blackberry had the lead for smartphones because they did exceptional integration of email and business solutions for executives on the go. Afetr the iPhone was launched they dropped the ball, as well as Nokia and lame-arse WPs.

I'm not against DRM; perhaps your hatred for the rest of us, non Microsoft adulants, distorts your effort to understand my point. Microsoft tried to dominate online music through software, developed a model where manufacturers would fight the iPod and they would get money in licensing. Then they figured the money was in the hardware (which time proved also wrong: it's a combination) and launched the Zune. Please be assured I never thought the Zune was a piece of crap, it just didn't fare well against the iPod. And it flopped. Bad result in hardware.

Hey, I agree Surface Pro has something! Just not appeal for the uninitiated... Surface is a typical example of Microsoft's business model: lots of variants and add-ons. Consumers didn't like that. They didn't like the fact that space available was reduced because of a humongous OS. TV ads were catchy, but it wasn't enough. If a write down isn't enough proof of its flop, may God help us at understanding each other.

PS You're right about the Playbook: not good enough, and without the possibility or running BB10 much worse.
    09-03-13 11:59 PM
    best news so far!!!
    09-04-13 01:37 AM
    I can't believe anyone thinks a merger with HTC would be good for either company. Don't see Sony either being interested to be honest either.

If 2 patients on life support marry they collectively don't last long...

With Microsoft out of the game (for now) I can only see someone like Cisco buying the network and enterprise side with bis for bbos etc being maintained into the near future, BBM being floated separately as a software company and then being swallowed by someone else (Google?) and the hardware and os10 side being shutdown.

There is nothing on the product road map ahead that will improve the brands value, BBM cross platform will kill legacy sales worldwide (if BBM is the reason they still sell) , but BBM will become more valuable if it's a hit.

Going to be an interesting next 12 months one way or another.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    09-04-13 02:09 AM
    I know samsung said they are not interested in bb but that would be an awesome team
    semperfi45 likes this.
    09-04-13 02:39 AM
    welcome to the new world of mobile computing wars
    09-04-13 03:13 AM
    i see Microsoft cooking something bigger than this acquisition of Nokia.
    At this movement they have committed that windows will be available for other OEM companies , but who knows what if they say NO in future??????
    09-04-13 03:16 AM
    Now Nokia can install Sailfish OS from Jolla on their phones and overtake Windows Phone from MS
    09-04-13 05:18 AM
    Now Nokia can install Sailfish OS from Jolla on their phones and overtake Windows Phone from MS
    They cant. This means they sold the whole hardware division. Meaning the new Nokia is mapping, networks etc
    09-04-13 05:35 AM
    They can.
    They have Nokia brand, they have pile of cash. Jolla has a very nice OS. ( based on ex Nokia MeeGo)

Hardware can be ordered in China
    09-04-13 05:39 AM
    They can.
    They have Nokia brand, they have pile of cash. Jolla has a very nice OS. ( based on ex Nokia MeeGo)

Hardware can be ordered in China
    No they are restricted to make any hardware for 30 months. Read the statement
    09-04-13 05:48 AM
    You're right :/

Damn it
    RIP Nokia
    09-04-13 09:56 AM
    I know samsung said they are not interested in bb but that would be an awesome team
    I think an HTC-BB deal would be awesome. The best hardware combined with the best software.
    09-04-13 09:51 PM
    MS just boosted the cpu of the Xbox 1 and went back on all their policys I have no confidence in MS right now. And I love w8...big windows fan. Came from windows phone lumia to a q10. But I probably wont go back to wp...gonna try Driod if bb goes down. if not i'll stick with bb.
    09-04-13 11:20 PM
    It's kinda sad to see how Nokia and Motorola were big in the old days but only ended up getting acquired. I hope BlackBerry won't end up in the same boat because I love BlackBerry as is.

Posted via CB10
    You are forgetting Palm.

Blackberry will probably be acquired soon by somebody. Hopefully it doesn't end like Palm.
    09-07-13 04:13 PM
    You are forgetting Palm.

Blackberry will probably be acquired soon by somebody. Hopefully it doesn't end like Palm.
    Oh yeah forgot all about Palm... couldn't believe HP sent the Palm OS to the graveyard when they could have had a great start in the smartphone race.

I just hope BlackBerry will be able to turn the ship around again otherwise I'll just go back to using a flip phone when my Z10 dies out.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:40 PM
244 ... 8910