06-30-12 04:54 AM
    honest I for one would like. my next phone I planned on getting is a WP8 nokia BUT a WP8 blackberry would change that.
    06-30-12 06:46 AM
    With Huawei and HTC joining in and Nokia already in there I highly doubt it would make sense for RIM to jump in right now with MSFT. Its one of the issues they would have joining in with Android right now no competitive edge for them.

At this point RIM is stuck with BB 10 development and they better do it right.
    06-30-12 02:21 PM
    it would make better sense for Rim to jump in with HP, who just became disgruntled with microsoft's new tablet and cancelled its own arm based tablet project that was to run win8.
    06-30-12 03:00 PM
    This is just wild conjecture -- again.
    If, and I do mean IF, RIM is forced to go into partnership with anyone then Microsoft would be the one to go for.

It would make sense to use the reliability and security that RIM would bring to Windows 8 phones.

I can also see why Nokia would be antsy over RIMs possible course and it's geographical proximity (compared to Nokia) to Redmond and that's why this news item is in the Nokia blog. I guess Nokia has crap journalists writing dirt about them too. Somehow that last little bit of knowlwegde makes me feel a tiny bit better about the journalists who write so erroneously about RIM. It ain't just RIM, it's everybody
    06-30-12 03:08 PM
    Anybody that has ever gone to bed with microsoft, has gotten promptly f****D up the A$$.
    kevinnugent and Knightcrawler like this.
    06-30-12 03:20 PM
    it would make better sense for Rim to jump in with HP, who just became disgruntled with microsoft's new tablet and cancelled its own arm based tablet project that was to run win8.

Lol no. HP doesn't have what it takes, sorry. I love WebOS but I think its done till HP is completely out of the picture. Too bad RIM and Palm didn't hook up before. That would have been a killer combo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-30-12 05:15 PM
    My gut feeling says that just like BB10..we won't see WP8 this fall, I don't know but may be MSFT is chewing more than they could handle .. Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, Surface, Office 2013 and Windows Phone 8 launching this fall. If Wp8 launches still I think it will be underwhelming one like WP7.

I really doubt RIM board would go this approach unless BB10 is no where near complete or the Q1 2013 doesn't realistic
    Last edited by sf49ers; 06-30-12 at 05:57 PM.
    06-30-12 05:52 PM
    Yes Nokia is doing awesome with Windows Phone and only losing over a Billion Euros a quarter by switching to Windows and their Symbian and Meego are still selling better than Windows. RIM needs a content partner in need of an OS, not an OS partner in need of hardware to run it on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    big_time2 and sf49ers like this.
    06-30-12 06:23 PM
    My gut feeling says that just like BB10..we won't see WP8 this fall, I don't know but may be MSFT is chewing more than they could handle .. Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, Surface, Office 2013 and Windows Phone 8 launching this fall. If Wp8 launches still I think it will be underwhelming one like WP7.

I really doubt RIM board would go this approach unless BB10 is no where near complete or the Q1 2013 doesn't realistic
    Windows 8 is going to be nothing like Windows 7 in terms of impact upon release. If not a game changer -- and it arguably is -- it will attract vastly much more interest than BB10, which is only unified across smartphone and tablet, not PC, smartphone, and tablet. And we're talking about the overwhelmingly dominant PC OS to boot.
    06-30-12 07:40 PM
    Windows 8 is going to be nothing like Windows 7 in terms of impact upon release. If not a game changer -- and it arguably is -- it will attract vastly much more interest than BB10, which is only unified across smartphone and tablet, not PC, smartphone, and tablet. And we're talking about the overwhelmingly dominant PC OS to boot.

Wasn't WP7 supposed to dominate when it came out, then it was once the Mango update came out. There are always high expectations for phone OS's made by Windows, and none of them have ever panned out. I guess one day they may be right. IMHO the reason why non-Windows tablets and phones are doing so well is because they are not Microsoft, not like what people use at a desktop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    sf49ers likes this.
    06-30-12 07:57 PM
    I still want to see what BB10 will be like. Whoever wants to buy RIM, just let them release a couple of BB10 phones.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-30-12 08:40 PM
    honest I for one would like. my next phone I planned on getting is a WP8 nokia BUT a WP8 blackberry would change that.
    I won't ever buy a Windows phone but if I was going to, I would buy a Nokia over any RIM device. Nokia hardware has always been first rate, the software has always been second rate.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-30-12 10:14 PM
    I don't think that is going to happen. RIM said BB10, it will be BB10, not WP8. Bull is easy to smell.
    06-30-12 10:50 PM
    I don't think that is going to happen. RIM said BB10, it will be BB10, not WP8. Bull is easy to smell.
    So if it's so easy, perhaps you can tell me what Thorsten meant when he announced the delay. I thought he meant RIM was fubar, and they would consider taking an out if someone handed them an opportunity (which Microsoft desparately needs too.)
    tdleon likes this.
    06-30-12 11:19 PM
    Wasn't WP7 supposed to dominate when it came out, then it was once the Mango update came out.
    I'm not sure how well wp8 will do with consumers. But the fact that it will have a common driver model with windows 8 could mean very broad support in business verticals.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-01-12 12:07 AM
    really.....after so much dealays.....and RIM tantrum....this is not possible.... ... that's difference between NOKIA and RIM... NOKIA left Symbian for WinMo... and RIM creates it's own OS of next gen communication....
    07-01-12 12:40 AM
    @bk1022. Thorsten never said anything about RIM going under.
    tw_ likes this.
    07-01-12 12:51 AM
    I have installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my PC when it came out, updated later to the Release Preview and I have returned to Windows 7 now. The Metro user interface is made for touchscreens and in my opinion it is a bad decision by Microsoft to force it upon desktop PC users.

[YT]v=v4boTbv9_nU[/YT]
    Last edited by tw_; 07-01-12 at 06:49 AM.
    07-01-12 06:39 AM
    is this a reasonable article re: RIM and MS?

Research in Motion's grim outlook by the numbers | Digital Trends
    07-01-12 06:50 AM
    is this a reasonable article re: RIM and MS?
    I think it is, but I also think it is more reasonable for Microsoft to buy RIM. The reason for this is that Microsoft will get the BES software which has the enterprise server side options that Microsoft would like for exchange. They will also get QNX which probably has features that they can use within their up coming Mobile OS or even Internet Explorer. Then they get hardware platforms to break into the mobile business market. There is probably a bunch of IP and Patents that Microsoft would get by buying RIM.

Some people might compare Microsoft buying Nokia vs buying RIM, but Nokia has really been just a hardware vendor while RIM has been a wireless platform when you look at the other blackberry services. They also have a unique hardware design that the businesses have been sluggish to move away from.
    07-02-12 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD