"Yesterday the Financial Times made quite a stir when it reported that the chairman of Huawei�s consumer business group, Richard Yu said, �We are considering these sorts of acquisitions; maybe the combination has some synergies but depends on the willingness of Nokia . We are open-minded.�

Nokia (NOK) stock immediately reacted moving up 11% on heavy volume. BlackBerry (BBRY) stock also immediately moved up presumably on the thinking that if Huawei is interested in Nokia it may also be interested in BlackBerry. Later The Fly on the Wall attributed the move in BlackBerry to the report of Huawei�s interest in Nokia.

....................On the surface, Huawei�s interest in Nokia makes sense and it is easy to see why traders got excited. However, the report made no sense to me. In my view, both the U. S. government and the European Union will block any attempt by Huawei to purchase Nokia. Nokia has a joint venture with Siemens that operates under the name Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN). NSN is a major networking systems vendor that competes with Huawei. In addition to antitrust concerns, there will be serious security concerns.

.......................Last year, the U. S. House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence issued a report titled, Investigative Report on the U.S. National Security Issues Posed by Chinese Telecommunications Companies Huawei and ZTE. The following is the first recommendation by this committee.

The United States should view with suspicion the continued penetration of the U.S. telecommunications market by Chinese telecommunications companies.................

.................U.S. government systems, particularly sensitive systems, should not include Huawei or ZTE equipment, including component parts. Similarly, government contractors � particularly those working on contracts for sensitive U.S. programs � should exclude ZTE or Huawei equipment in their systems.

................An acquisition of BlackBerry by Huawei will be even more troublesome. Until recently, BlackBerry had a monopoly on phones for the Department of Defense (DOD). Recently, DOD has approved devices from Apple and Samsung.

There may be other arguments for buying stocks of Nokia and BlackBerry, but a potential buyout by Huawei is a pipe dream. Interestingly, Bloomberg issued a report contradicting Financial Times.

Huawei Technology in Shenzhen, China (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Full text:
    Nokia And Blackberry Might Get Bought But Not By Huawei - Forbes
    06-20-13 02:28 AM
    Hmmm.... I call BS
    06-20-13 02:43 AM
    Hmmm.... I call BS
    What do you mean?
    06-20-13 03:09 AM
    Already been shot down by huwei.
    We'veoved on to the "collapsed" MS bod to buy Nok today..... :/

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 03:18 AM
    would of never happened. i think Huawei showed public interest in nokia so microsoft would give a higher offer

microsoft were also interested in Nokia
    neither are happening. microsoft pay way a fortune to Nokia.

Nokia has to stay Nokia. they have fantastic hardware; if microsoft take over i feel it'd collapse and they are very slow to react and fix problems. Huawei aren't very interested in windows phone because of the smaller user base it has they want android
    06-20-13 04:59 AM
    lol always a funny one.So after huewie who's the next chinese manfacturer their gonna link to buy Nokia and BB.Reporting is gone to ****.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-20-13 at 10:37 AM.
    06-20-13 06:20 AM
    Wow, Huawei sucks anyways.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-20-13 06:31 AM
    The Canadians would never let a Chinese company buy BlackBerry, and the if it did happen the US government, and many other Governments using BlackBerry would instantly start programs to ditch BlackBerry quickly.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    06-20-13 07:07 AM
    lol always a funny one.So after huewie who's the next chinese manfacturer their gonna link to buy Nokia and BB.Reporting is gone to ****.
    Before you edited this, you claimed it was _____ reporting, but actually, I don't think that's fair. When Richard Yu says that, it's perfectly legitimate to report it and write about, and the article I posted agrees with you, so you should be saying "great reporting".
    06-20-13 02:29 PM
    This was debunked already by huwei. So much lost in translation or spoken by someone in a language other than their own and taken as gospel and expanded to mean so much more.
    Nokia is in deep sh*t, more so than BlackBerry because unlike BB, they lack the cash reserves to support major shifts in their OS strategy.
    People said Palm would never die too....

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 04:15 PM
    The stock price in BB on Tuesday wasn't from the Huawei, it was two fold.... an analyst reiterating a buy, and more rumours of Lenovo. For the author to link Huawei's interest in Nokia to the rise in BB is a bit of a stretch.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    06-20-13 05:18 PM
    "Yesterday the Financial Times made quite a stir when it reported that the chairman of Huawei’s consumer business group, Richard Yu said, “We are considering these sorts of acquisitions; maybe the combination has some synergies but depends on the willingness of Nokia . We are open-minded.”

Nokia (NOK) stock immediately reacted moving up 11% on heavy volume. BlackBerry (BBRY) stock also immediately moved up presumably on the thinking that if Huawei is interested in Nokia it may also be interested in BlackBerry. Later The Fly on the Wall attributed the move in BlackBerry to the report of Huawei’s interest in Nokia.

....................On the surface, Huawei’s interest in Nokia makes sense and it is easy to see why traders got excited. However, the report made no sense to me. In my view, both the U. S. government and the European Union will block any attempt by Huawei to purchase Nokia. Nokia has a joint venture with Siemens that operates under the name Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN). NSN is a major networking systems vendor that competes with Huawei. In addition to antitrust concerns, there will be serious security concerns.

.......................Last year, the U. S. House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence issued a report titled, Investigative Report on the U.S. National Security Issues Posed by Chinese Telecommunications Companies Huawei and ZTE. The following is the first recommendation by this committee.

The United States should view with suspicion the continued penetration of the U.S. telecommunications market by Chinese telecommunications companies.................

.................U.S. government systems, particularly sensitive systems, should not include Huawei or ZTE equipment, including component parts. Similarly, government contractors – particularly those working on contracts for sensitive U.S. programs – should exclude ZTE or Huawei equipment in their systems.

................An acquisition of BlackBerry by Huawei will be even more troublesome. Until recently, BlackBerry had a monopoly on phones for the Department of Defense (DOD). Recently, DOD has approved devices from Apple and Samsung.

There may be other arguments for buying stocks of Nokia and BlackBerry, but a potential buyout by Huawei is a pipe dream. Interestingly, Bloomberg issued a report contradicting Financial Times.

Huawei Technology in Shenzhen, China (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Full text:
    Nokia And Blackberry Might Get Bought But Not By Huawei - Forbes

Blackberry won't be bought by anyone ( At least for now) The company is recovering and seems like they are on the right track now .. maybe a year or two.. then you will see, but it's way too early!
    canuckvoip likes this.
    06-20-13 05:26 PM
    The stock price in BB on Tuesday wasn't from the Huawei, it was two fold.... an analyst reiterating a buy, and more rumours of Lenovo. For the author to link Huawei's interest in Nokia to the rise in BB is a bit of a stretch.
    He didn't.
    06-20-13 06:33 PM
    He didn't.
    What does the second paragraph say then?

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    06-20-13 06:42 PM
    HUWAEI SUCKS, THEIR PHONES SUCK, WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    06-20-13 07:49 PM
    Utter bollocks.
    Huawei is not a trusted partner in North America.
    Ridiculous.
    06-21-13 01:36 AM
    HUWAEI SUCKS, THEIR PHONES SUCK, WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Thank you for blessing us with this wonderful and ignorant anti-Laudatio on Huawei.

What does the second paragraph say then?

Posted via CB10
    I am interested in that as well...

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    06-21-13 02:05 AM
    T
    I am interested in that as well...
    He was talking about how Fly on the Wall - which is a news feed about stocks, attributed the BB surge to Nokia. It did, I saw it.

As far as I know, that wasn't related to the author or Forbes (anyone correct me if I"m wrong).

When he speaks about it, it's in explanatory justification - he notes that the stock moved right after, then specifically says "presumably" it was due to the event - I think this strongly suggests he does not think something that can be stated unequivocally, and his follow-up line suggest that his ultimate justification comes from another site presenting it as such.

In any case, whether or not one believes it was true, and/or whether or not the author believes it true, he only claimed that a stock market site claimed it true, and thus, he wrote an article attempting to debunk it. I'd suggest the writing clearly indicates that he, at the least, believes that attribution to be open to question.
    06-21-13 02:24 AM
    He was talking about how Fly on the Wall - which is a news feed about stocks, attributed the BB surge to Nokia. It did, I saw it.

As far as I know, that wasn't related to the author or Forbes (anyone correct me if I"m wrong).

When he speaks about it, it's in explanatory justification - he notes that the stock moved right after, then specifically says "presumably" it was due to the event - I think this strongly suggests he does not think something that can be stated unequivocally, and his follow-up line suggest that his ultimate justification comes from another site presenting it as such.

In any case, whether or not one believes it was true, and/or whether or not the author believes it true, he only claimed that a stock market site claimed it true, and thus, he wrote an article attempting to debunk it. I'd suggest the writing clearly indicates that he, at the least, believes that attribution to be open to question.
    Fair enough. I read it a tad different but that's the joy of interpretation. As for the relation in movement, BBRY started to move up almost 2 hours earlier on a report from RBC and rumour of Lenovo. Also, if you look at NOK, it spiked hard and fast then retracted by more than half once the rumour was debunked. At that point, BBRY was unaffected. Again, interpretation, as we simply will never know but I just don't see it.
    richardat likes this.
    06-21-13 06:30 AM
    Thank you for blessing us with this wonderful and ignorant anti-Laudatio on Huawei.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know my post was directed to you, i should be more careful next time I post something, seeing as you're always on watch. My sincerest apologies.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Last edited by IgotsThis; 06-21-13 at 05:07 PM.
    06-21-13 06:35 AM