I think BlackBerry wants to wait on the announcement. They may be in talks with Google on striking a deal for direct access. They may also offer this to the consumer, but really don't want to promote it in the corporate world. They may not have the legal right to advertise it. Perhaps they want to see what fixes are required. Or perhaps since it won't run 100 percent of the apps, they don't want to draw anger to themselves. Who really knows. One thing I know is it is fantastic. I also like spreading the subtle news as my iphone and Android buddies eyes pop out and their jaws hit the floor. BlackBerry is back with a vengeance.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah right, same thought here. Give it some time, iron out the bugs, improve compatibility and then hit them even harder.

What they need to avoid is another launch flop like BBM for Android, which they had to pull for a month. Don't give BGR & Co. any troll fodder.
    Make it awesome!

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    01-29-14 04:17 PM
    Because this functionality is not supposed to be for consumers. It's targeted towards developers.
    The fact that us consumers are using it to install apks and Android apps is simply a side effect of it.
    Also, lots of apps don't work so for them to publicly announce it would only draw criticism that it's half baked.
    Besides, enabling users to install apks don't make them money, they still want developers to formally submit it to BBW so they can monetize on sales.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 04:20 PM
    Bc BlackBerry themselves aren't publicizing it.
    It's not quite there yet.
    It's good, but not perfect.
    01-29-14 04:37 PM
    When jola / sailfish / whatever came out everyone's mom was talking about Android access... bb enhance version.. nothing
    Define "everybody". Are you under the impression that Jolla and Sailfish are somehow well known?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 04:43 PM
    Amazon does not officially support BlackBerry. Google Play does not support BlackBerry. While I'm sure that many BlackBerry users appreciate the ability to run those apps that work, none are supported.

If the application that you buy from Amazon doesn't work are they responsible? Do they owe you a refund?
    BlackBerry is playing a dangerous game. They are simultaneously courting Android developers and enabling piracy.

Hey everyone you can run android apps but we can't tell you were to get them, wink wink. Any Android developer willing to support BlackBerry has already submitted to BBW.

Real classy. They can't include any of this in a press release.
    Downloading an app from a portal which it was legitimately submitted and then installing and running that app un modified isn't piracy.
    BlackBerry have not enabled piracy any more than android already has by your logic.
    Allowing an end user to install apps is not enabling piracy. It's the end user that MAY be committing piracy, and only if they choose to do so.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-29-14 05:05 PM
    Downloading an app from a portal which it was legitimately submitted and then installing and running that app un modified isn't piracy.
    BlackBerry have not enabled piracy any more than android already has by your logic.
    Allowing an end user to install apps is not enabling piracy. It's the end user that MAY be committing piracy, and only if they choose to do so.
    I apologize for not being clear. Downloading from Amazon isn't piracy. A lot of the other stores are. Crack berry now has a growing pirate community. There are threads here promoting blackmart and even a BB10 aptoid store complete with pirated apps.

Where is it that BlackBerry suggest you go for apks? What trusted entity exist other than BBW that can vouch for these apks being unmodified, is legally authorized to distribute them and supports BB10?
    01-29-14 05:19 PM
    I apologize for not being clear. Downloading from Amazon isn't piracy. A lot of the other stores are. Crack berry now has a growing pirate community. There are threads here promoting **edit** He who shall not be named**end edit** and even a BB10 aptoid store complete with pirated apps.

Where is it that BlackBerry suggest you go for apks? What trusted entity exist other than BBW that can vouch for these apks being unmodified, is legally authorized to distribute them and supports BB10?
    I guess you've never heard of Google play?

Again, your argument is based on the actions of end users.
    The first store you mention(he who shall not be named) is not allowed to be promoted here. Those posts get removed pretty quick.
    The bb10store is just a database of compatible free apps, usually ones that require obb data.
    Yes, a few paid apps get in, but they're already out there anyways.
    Bb10store (apptoide) clearly isn't commonly viewed the same as he who shall not be named because its Ok to promote and discuss, and has been mentioned on this blog and others.
    Relax man.
    Last edited by stabstabdie; 01-29-14 at 05:42 PM.
    Balti43 and SDTRMG like this.
    01-29-14 05:30 PM
    Define "everybody". Are you under the impression that Jolla and Sailfish are somehow well known?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    No, which is my point. All the blogs that picked up the Jolla story mentioned android apps... 'some' and 'limited compatibility '... but the same sites totally ignore being able to install android marketplaces and A LOT of android apps... come on!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:24 PM
    I apologize for not being clear. Downloading from Amazon isn't piracy. A lot of the other stores are. Crack berry now has a growing pirate community. There are threads here promoting blackmart and even a BB10 aptoid store complete with pirated apps.

We have to take it as a community to frown upon paid apks for free. If people post them, others will take them. The apk-bar thread I posted months ago has hundreds of free apps working and over 2200 posts. Hopefully we can get similar response to FREE apps with the new method... but my thread and lendos were both full of people requesting paid apps, both of us refused. Nothing wrong with that.

There will always be a way to abuse any system, we just have to prevent it.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:28 PM
    Just realized the OP stated nobody in the media is talking about "Goggle" apps. Lol! He's right!
    01-30-14 12:00 AM
    I know the APK is not perfect and the possibility of a goggles partnership is possibile but this APK story is not new to Wall Street even Misek a Jeffries analyst mentioned this last year.
    Not even mentioning App Gap is improving etc !!!

I guess no news is good news to come !

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 03:59 AM
    BlackBerry didn't mention it in the press release for 10.2.1, so why should the media? Again BlackBerry's messaging is to blame. They have decided to not make a big deal about Android support to the media for whatever reason, and the media isn't making it a big deal because of this!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-14 09:27 AM
    My question is why isn't BlackBerry talking about it?

Tizen had no problem saying that you could install android apps. BlackBerry needs to get their heads out of the sand.

Posted via CB10
    It's all about the user experience. And by user experience, I mean how it would be like for the regular consumer, not the CrackBerry crowd.

While they now have the ability to direct install Android apps, they haven't provided an officially support way for people to obtain those apps. There's no access to Google Play, nor is there a partnership with a 3rd party app store. APK grabbers like Snap need to be sideloaded first. None of that is particularly consumer friendly.

If they're going to advertise it, the solution for getting Android apps must be available out of the box and either be pre-installed, or not more difficult to obtain than a simple download from BlackBerry World.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mornhavon and Kurdis Blough like this.
    01-30-14 09:45 AM
    the media reports on what BlackBerry shares. BlackBerry's own press release does not mention the Android runtime capabilities so the Media, unlike us die hards, won't know about it.

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    01-30-14 11:26 AM
    No, which is my point. All the blogs that picked up the Jolla story mentioned android apps... 'some' and 'limited compatibility '... but the same sites totally ignore being able to install android marketplaces and A LOT of android apps... come on!

Posted via CB10
    I think you're failing to remember one key detail.

Jolla actually announced that Sailfish OS would be able to run Android apk files. The press release that came out in September of 2013, was mostly about the OS running Android apps. Why in the world wouldn't blogs that mentioned the press release not mention the fact that Jolla Sailfish can run Android apps? It said so right in the press release.

BlackBerry didn't announce anything about running apk files. So why are you surprised that tech blogs didn't mention it either?
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-14 11:39 AM
    I posted it months ago, mostly intended as a joke, the NSA wants the herds to use easy crack able phones like droids or crapples to eavesdrop on.
    Obama Says He's Not Allowed iPhone For 'Security Reasons'
    For a year now I see so many biased, shallow and incorrect BB news articles all over the world. I still don't get it, why so much false or no decent reporting on BB?
    Last edited by Mo Cat; 01-30-14 at 01:12 PM.
    01-30-14 12:21 PM
    Sure.

Google Maps - Slow to lock in and won't allow you to save any data because you can't sign in to google services.

Jawbone Bluetooth app - Doesn't' work at all.

Trulia - doesn't work at all

Realtor.com - Doesn't work at all

ATorrent/Utorrent - Doesn't work at all.

Shazaam - doesn't' fully work because once you tag a song it doesn't allow you to download it if you want.

Those are just a few but I can name more if you'd like.
    Add MagicJack to that list...doesn't connect at all. Shows an error.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:36 PM
    They shouldn't be, they're not working for most of us. My battery life is terrible and 10-30 seconds to open an app. Gonna reload or go back to 10.1

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    01-30-14 03:29 PM
    They shouldn't be, they're not working for most of us. My battery life is terrible and 10-30 seconds to open an app. Gonna reload or go back to 10.1

Posted via CB10
    Going back to 10.1??
    That's just crazy talk.
    And it's some of you. Not most.
    01-30-14 03:43 PM
44 12