If there's two things we love, it's hearing RIM's own Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis open their gaping traps. While the former was sufficiently panned back in January for exclaiming that buggy smartphone software was simply the "new reality," his partner in crime may have just done him one better.
    Continue Reading...
    what you guys say?
    Last edited by aadiawan; 05-08-09 at 05:43 AM.
    04-16-09 11:44 PM
    I lol'd. Having your own CEO say something like that makes me wonder what he was smoking that day.

Oh well, they will do better and not rush things to market as they did with the Storm.
    04-17-09 09:32 AM
    these types of comments could be a backhanded f-you to vzw who forced the storm out before RIM thought it was ready - then it was RIM's fault for contracting to let VZW decide when to release it.
    04-17-09 09:54 AM
    Poor excuse. Yeah the 8900 and 9000 had issues but they were quickly fixed post release. RIM should pay for being lazy with the Storm. Hopefully they build an OS the Storm 2 deserves.
    04-17-09 10:37 AM
    Basically what it says to me is Storm 1 owners are screwed. I thought the 1st guy put his foot in his mouth telling us all to expect buggy software from now on, but now the CEO too? Where does RIM get these guys.
    04-17-09 01:01 PM
    Nobody does get it perfect out the door. He's telling the truth, although he's using it as an excuse for a product that could use a little more time in the oven.
    04-17-09 01:06 PM
    The blogger is an apple fanboy??? j/k I think the Storm's pretty damn good. Yea it has some issues, but they are working on it. I just wish some of the later OSs would leak on down.
    04-17-09 01:42 PM
    thats awesome. it inspires a warm and fuzzy feeling inside me concerning the future of RIMs devices and software.
    04-17-09 05:33 PM
    those comments give me feeling RIM didn't really care the Storm was a failure other than sales..
    04-17-09 05:39 PM
    Said it before, I'll say it again.Everyone who bought the Storm on
    release essentially paid their hard earned cash for the right to
    Beta test the phone.
    04-17-09 09:59 PM
    If I'm spending 1500 bucks for something, I'd prefer its maker not to have this type of atitude :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 10:02 PM
    If I'm spending 1500 bucks for something, I'd prefer its maker not to have this type of atitude :/

1500 bucks??? What fool pays that for a Storm? You can't be serious...

04-17-09 10:33 PM

you dont have to spend that much,,,give me $400 and this storm is yours.
    04-17-09 11:00 PM
    nice
    04-18-09 03:41 AM
    Now all in all he's right though, at least in my book: we (users) keep demanding revolution from our tech products, not evolution. The manufacturers have to churn out new hardware and features faster than they can catch up with the mistakes made in the last ones. Just take a look at your first phone: did it have SW issues? Hardly. If there was something wrong it was with hardware / build quality. Take your first computer (for many of us a C64, Sinclair Spectrum or IBM PC) same thing there: hardly a bug to discover in the OS.

All this has long changed: A modern OS contains millions and millions pages of code. Even for "just a phone". This increases the probability of errors to happen. It's just statistics and probability mathematics. It also makes it way harder to find them all and in darkness bind them (the bugs) before the manufacturer is forced to release the product either because of some information leak or due to the fact that he hasn't released something new the last 6 months and he starts getting called "obsolete" in the sectors lterature.

So in a way, we simply don't deserve any better as we are putting so much pressure on them. So I share his view: get used to bugs in your devices and let others be the early adopters.

04-18-09 03:58 AM
    I tend to disagree with the "it's okay to release buggy software/devices" tought proccess.

I spent 18 years in the programming field. When we wrote a program, we had a specific set of guidlines to meet, along with the program outline. Each of those program features had to be fully tested before we could move on to the next set of code. We would catch **** if we passed code to Q&A where specific, known features, didn't work properly.

It seems like software developers these days don't have the strict coding standards we did. The idea that sending out buggy code is okay, just doesn't sit well with the programmer in me.

As an example. If we had a numeric field in our UI, we would have a set of code to verify that only numbers were input into the field. Any numeric input field would be attached to the verification code. It makes sense to only allow numbers to be entered into a numeric field. One of the programs I use almost on a daily basis in my photography business has lots of numeric input fields. On several screens, numeric fields parse number/charaters and only allow numeric input. On other screens, the program pops up error messages as soon as you try to leave the field and clears out anything you typed. It just irks me that one screen parses correctly, and another has no verification process in place, all in the same program! What happened to coding standards???

I understand you can only check certain features, and users will find ways to do things with applications that the developers never imaged to be used that way. Updates should address functionality. Passing out applications with known issues just bewilders the programmer in me.
    04-18-09 09:06 AM
    You know in a way I kinda believe it was Verizon who pushed for the release of the Storm than RIM. Back when I was selling phones I dealt with numerous people who left Verizon (and other carriers) for the iPhone. I believe their thought process was to get the Storm out to their customers (existing and new) to recoop their losses from the iPhone, despite RIM telling Verizon that the device wasn't ready for the general public.

Just my 2 cents...
    04-18-09 10:43 PM
    hey, remember all tech thing always runs into problem when going out first time and then improves later on and it is same with windows vista from microsoft , they released this and got into serious problem for awhile but right now it is little better stable so far. it is same for blackberrys
    04-18-09 10:48 PM
    Windows Vista is also another perfect example. Putting out an operating system like Vista with as many bugs (many known before it was ever released) just shows how "welcome" the idea of releasing flawed product is these days. It just amazes me that low-quality releases (and lazy programming) is allowed and acceptable.

It's like a used car salesman using a temprary fix to stop a leak. Sure, it can be fixed later, but selling something you know has a problem???

I understand you can't know everything about a product being released, and fixing things that are found later, but releasing something when you know the problems??? That's what gets me.
    04-19-09 09:22 AM
    ^^^ Even still, I pass the blame more on Verizon than RIM...
    04-19-09 04:40 PM
    ya you cant just blame rim, there other phones have been great out the door, storm does from the article seem very rushed, look how long it takes to release a phone when announced yet the storm came out a little earlier then expected. yes they held it back a week to fix something but it was still rushed.
    04-19-09 06:21 PM
    The funny thing is, this seems to be the norm in the gaming world, especially with EA. They'll intentionally release games way before they should be simply because they know their typical audience will buy it, and then they take FOREVER to release patches to fix all of the ridiculously blatant bugs that someone escaped made it through the testing process. I don't understand how people could have stuff like that on their conscience. It's almost the equivalent of lying to customers, like the metaphor Xopher used. Sure, the leak is fixed, but the salesman is withholding the truth about what'll happen to that leak in a week or two.
    04-19-09 08:58 PM
    I elect that my idea be set in place that EVERY company should start mass hiring of laid-off programmers to debug every OS before being used by the general public. I also mandate that Congress should hold wireless manufacturers liable for known faulty products that shouldn't have been released...

That, my friends, is my idea of the Federal Stimulus...

The Phoneking has spoken....
    04-20-09 03:51 AM
    I myself, like the storm alot... and as for the moaning about what Ceo's say.. they are right...
    " no one gets it right"
    ask Bill Gates....

I agree with a few members above.
    The public has been "informing Microsoft" of errors since the first windows OS
    but, they got it right now with Vista...
    LAWL
    This is just the start another verbal beating of the Storm and of Rim

Get a quote from Gates,then we will talk
    Last edited by Maples; 04-20-09 at 05:20 AM.
    04-20-09 05:16 AM

Seriously I paid $100 for my storm, that is a rip off. You could have bought a couple of computers!

04-20-09 07:07 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD