04-07-14 11:09 PM
179 12345 ...
tools
    I use docs to go as well as quick office and others. Like I said I tried it. In my opinion it changes the game. You assume I'm not already hooked in. I have a Microsoft account just like I have a Google account. I use what works best. Office kills docs to go.

I don't understand this sentiment that somehow logging in to use a services makes you the property of one company or the other. It's not that serious.
    What version of Docs to Go did you use? BlackBerry had the Pro version pre-installed, Android doesn't unless you pay. I watched the webinar of Office Mobile and the only thing that I seen different was "jump to header ", which nice don't get me wrong. BlackBerry also has a shortcut to "screen sharing" using BBM.

Some people may want to use Dropbox or Box instead. Just gives the user other options.

I really just don't see it affecting BlackBerry users at all when they already have something their used to, just as good, with no bugs.

Zed30
    03-29-14 05:34 PM
    Are we talking about the OS or popularly and market share of the OS? This guy didn't even need to mention BlackBerry. Let's pull in some misinformation. Yay!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    If the columnist didn't mention Blackberry, we'd have a thread "No wonder why Blackberry is struggling"... these biased media outlets leave out Blackberry when recommending smartphones!

I think it's fair for the columnist to cite a reason for omitting Blackberry if it had recommended Blackberry devices in prior iterations of the smartphone guide article. Readers may wonder where Blackberry went.

Of course, if the columnists mentions Blackberry every subsequent issue for the next 5 years, I would agree it is biased; but, the first couple instances when Blackberry is omitted is fair game to inform readers.
    ravipiero likes this.
    03-29-14 05:37 PM
    If the columnist didn't mention Blackberry, we'd have a thread "No wonder why Blackberry is struggling"... these biased media outlets leave out Blackberry when recommending smartphones!

I think it's fair for the columnist to cite a reason for omitting Blackberry if it had recommended Blackberry devices in prior iterations of the smartphone guide article. Readers may wonder where Blackberry went.
    Either show the OS like they did for everyone else or don't mention it at all.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-29-14 05:39 PM
    When you're writing an article comparing devices, of course you pick the most popular.

Posted with my Q
    Hey welcome to the .6%!! Or is that wishful thinking.

Typed on an ancient device dug up where my dog buried it. No bones about it.
    03-29-14 05:41 PM
    You mean my new (used) Q? I'm a geek. I use many devices. I have no allegiance so I'm free to use anything and not worry about what others think. Freedom!

Posted with my Q
    03-29-14 05:57 PM
    I search for reviews on things, but I'm not sure whether I'd heard of Laptop Magazine before this morning, when I saw this:

Smartphone Madness 2014: BlackBerry Z30 vs. Moto X

At least here, they acknowledge Z30's existence. IMHO, something not having as big a market share as others isn't a reason to leave it out of a round-up article, unless you're clear that you're playing popularity contest. Just my two cents, simply put.
    keepthetorch and Dave Bourque like this.
    03-29-14 06:11 PM
    It's not just product reviews in popular magazines. I was just in a branch of my bank, TD Canada Trust, which has an excellent app for BB10 devices (and BBOS as well). And yet on posters inside the branch, the bank was inviting customers to download its app for iOS and Android devices, with no mention of BlackBerry. And this is in Canada, BlackBerry's last remaining stronghold.

In fact, I'm going to write a letter to TD. Can't hurt.

Posted via CB10
    TeaParty13 and tabaddon like this.
    03-29-14 06:35 PM
    I search for reviews on things, but I'm not sure whether I'd heard of Laptop Magazine before this morning, when I saw this:

At least here, they acknowledge Z30's existence. IMHO, something not having as big a market share as others isn't a reason to leave it out of a round-up article, unless you're clear that you're playing popularity contest. Just my two cents, simply put.
    Thanks for the link, I didn't even know this vote was going on, and I've never been to the site either.

Zed30
    tabaddon likes this.
    03-29-14 06:37 PM

Interesting. My basketball picks were like UGLY.
    Although I agree with you, the amount of BB10 phones out there just does not give them a real reason to promote or try. Now getting the z30 into more of the media's hands to try, then they can give some reason to write (maybe). Increased write-ups and good reviews will give carriers more of a reason to push them too. Like someone else said in another thread - one of VZW's highest rated phones is the z30. Unfortunately, just does not change things very easy. At .6% of the market, what is their incentive? Who is looking at them? Nowhere to be found, marketing, certain apps, etc. First choice of most people is not BB. IMHO a lot of this is based on what people hear, see and touch, not what they have actually tried. I have been a BB user for several years and I am finding it difficult to upgrade from OS7 to 10. Call me a holdout, but maybe the reason is I am so comfortable with the current OS and the things I use it for, there is just no compelling reason FOR ME to upgrade (yet). Watching how things go and just maybe (no I WILL) take a "swipe" at the new device. Hate to see them in this situation. Thanks for posting.
    03-29-14 06:40 PM
    If it's a good solid OS and you're supposedly writing an objective analysis, why wouldn't you?

The problem here is everyone questioning the future viability of BlackBerry. And the more people question it, the more people doubt it and are therefore hesitant to buy into it. I find this amusing, at least from a consumer perspective, because so many people keep phones for 18-24 months anyway and then upgrade. Even if BBRY were to go out of business, that's not likely to happen within 24 months. People treat these things like it's a lifelong commitment, when the only real commitment -- if there is any -- is to the carrier's contract.

Back to analyses of OS's -- what's the harm in including BB10, and simply include the caveat that the platform is thin on apps, if apps are important to you (other than the author needing to do a little more actual work)?
    I haven't looked at Laptop Magazine (tend to prefer AnandTech and Ars Technica for my PC articles). However, I've noticed almost none of the tech sites mention Opera when they do desktop browser reviews: only Chrome, IE, Firefox are mentioned for desktop Windows browsers; and Safari gets mentioned if the reviews are about desktop Mac browsers; nothing related to Linux ever is mentioned at all. I'd suspect that few ordinary consumers would know Opera exists, mainly due to its complete omission in tech articles.
    03-29-14 08:01 PM
    I did. My emails are arriving 2 hours and 45 minutes later.

This is a problem.
    03-29-14 08:35 PM
    The article writer says to choose the "right" OS and to him that means the Top 3.

"Most popular" does not equate to being the best.

He's basing the competency, capability, and suitability of an OS on market share and popularity. Just because a company is a small niche player, does not mean that it can't be the right OS for a consumer to meet his needs/requirements.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 09:15 PM
    The article writer says to choose the "right" OS and to him that means the Top 3.

He's basing the competency, capability, and suitability of an OS on market share and popularity. Just because a company is a small niche player, does not mean that it can't be the right OS for a consumer to meet his needs/requirements.

Posted via CB10
    Fair point... most popular does not quantitatively mean "the best." However, it could be said that numbers do tell us what OSes are the best fit for the most people, which, in practical terms, gives him/her the most reach.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-29-14 10:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's nearly the same thing when it comes to phones. I mean, you can see the logic. The most popular phone means that most people have bought them which means that most people like them which means there's a high chance that others would like them too. Niches aren't really important to an article targeting the general consumer.

Anyways, at this point I think there are many small Chinese phone makers that have a larger user base than BlackBerry, but we don't even think about them even though they serve a niche as well. How we see them is probably how everybody else sees BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    03-29-14 11:31 PM
    Game changer? I don't think so, Docs To Go does everything Office does and it doesn't tie you to Sky Drive and Google Drive.

------
    Docs To Go vs. Quickoffice & Office Mobile

Connectivity to multiple storage accounts is the key differentiator between Docs To Go and its main rivals, Quickoffice and Office Mobile, Coup contended.

Google and Microsoft are "using their office suite as a hook to sell/promote a different service (SkyDrive and an Office 365 subscription for Microsoft, Google Drive and Google Apps for Google). We don't want people to have to hitch themselves to one wagon," according to Coup.

Zed30
    The average consumer doesn't care how many storage accounts D2G can tie too. They use what comes with their services package - which means the account they log into the phone with. This is why companies have gotten smarter and used their Account services as a key to their mobile experiences. The more services you can hook users to, the harder it becomes for them to switch, and their chances of using other services you own increases. Microsoft, Google, and Apple are strong there... Blackberry is almost non-existent from a services/ecosystem perspective...

For the average user, it's work to string together so many disparate parts to create a cohesive user experience, when you can use one account and have all the services/billing come from the same place.

Office Mobile is a killer app because business users need a solution that is reliable in document display and formatting. iWork/QuickOffice/etc. haven't licensed Microsoft's Fonts, so the documents can look quite a bit different in those suites than in Office Mobile. Formatting also can differ. Documents to Go has Intact but it is not infaliable. It also seems to not get much support these days, especially on other platforms (and it is expensive for a mobile app, when there are free alternatives that work great available). Also, you're forgetting SharePoint support, which is crucial for a lot of business users. You don't get that with most 3rd party office suites (not D2G, last I checked).

Google Drive is still superior for people who use that. It's practically the only solution.

Consumers who use Apple iWork won't be downloading Office Mobile anytime soon, because they already have their solution. They don't need Dropbox. iWork saves and shares Documents from iCloud just fine. They don't need Dropbox for Photos or Videos, either... Learn to Photostream.

Office and OneDrive are built into Windows Phone. OneDrive is built into Windows 8.1.

Really, it's kind of hard to avoid OneDrive these days. You cannot even download "Facebook for Windows 8.1" without a Microsoft Account, which will sign you into everything else "Microsoft" on the PC (Bing, OneDrive, PIM Apps, Photos, Music, Videos, etc.).
    03-30-14 12:30 AM
    Chen, please sue this man! How dare he speak the truth! Those ambulance chasers at BB need more billable hours, and more flying time in that nice Jet of yours!

Go get em Chen! Bad man!
    richardat likes this.
    03-30-14 02:35 AM
    I honestly do not really care what happens to bb. I come from Symbian so I'm used to my phone company discontinuing the OS.

I got my Q10 and it works perfectly now, so that is all that matters right now.

And I don't care if BlackBerry becomes a major player or stays as a niche device, I will still have a BlackBerry and what other people use do not concern me.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    03-30-14 03:22 AM
    Irrelevant.

Who is going to define "the best" and have it accepted universally for all consumers?

There is no "the best" that will be accepted by everyone.

There is only "the best" for you, the individual.

"Most popular", something that is easily quantifiable by the sales numbers, therefore used as a reference point by the writer.

And if "most popular" wasn't working for the consumer it wouldn't get that moniker.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03-30-14 at 07:03 AM.
    ravipiero likes this.
    03-30-14 05:56 AM
    But not being popular and therefore not turning a profit because people aren't buying your products for many quarters is "struggling."

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 06:37 AM
    Chen, please sue this man! How dare he speak the truth! Those ambulance chasers at BB need more billable hours, and more flying time in that nice Jet of yours!

Go get em Chen! Bad man!
    Lol.

Love the avatar!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-30-14 07:38 AM
    I haven't looked at Laptop Magazine (tend to prefer AnandTech and Ars Technica for my PC articles). However, I've noticed almost none of the tech sites mention Opera when they do desktop browser reviews: only Chrome, IE, Firefox are mentioned for desktop Windows browsers; and Safari gets mentioned if the reviews are about desktop Mac browsers; nothing related to Linux ever is mentioned at all. I'd suspect that few ordinary consumers would know Opera exists, mainly due to its complete omission in tech articles.
    I actually use Opera, Chrome, and IE on my 8.1 machine. I see everyone always leaves out Opera, even though its one of the oldest.
    03-30-14 08:05 AM
    Realistically though, why would you include an OS that is 0.6% of the market?.
    How about giving information for phones on ALL platforms and have the consumer decide?
    03-30-14 08:32 AM
    It's not just product reviews in popular magazines. I was just in a branch of my bank, TD Canada Trust, which has an excellent app for BB10 devices (and BBOS as well). And yet on posters inside the branch, the bank was inviting customers to download its app for iOS and Android devices, with no mention of BlackBerry. And this is in Canada, BlackBerry's last remaining stronghold.

In fact, I'm going to write a letter to TD. Can't hurt.
    Agreed; new posters are needed. The ones currently in the bank were there before the BBRY app became available.
    terminatorx likes this.
    03-30-14 08:36 AM
    How about giving information for phones on ALL platforms and have the consumer decide?
    Something tells me even if they had included BlackBerry 10, someone would still be complaining about how they missed some features of it or something or the other.
    03-30-14 08:40 AM
    Because if there are not enough consumers who care about a particular platform why bother. Don't let your personal feelings cloud your intellect. If you didn't use blackberry you wouldn't care either.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    richardat and Drew808 like this.
    03-30-14 08:44 AM
179 12345 ...